Sarah Grace

going to pursue CR-1, live with him abroad (not in his home country). how will this affect the visa process

139 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

A friend added me to the group

The "stranger" was an american

Jesus christ, do you honestly believe everything people say on the internet? Let me tell you how to pretend you're American on Facebook. On city/country, you select a city in the US. That's all. Copy/paste a picture of an American looking person and upload that in your profile pic. Done.

Please read this: It's very informative

Edited by AmyWrites

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I wonder if it is a fees scam or he just wants a ticket to the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Jesus christ, do you honestly believe everything people say on the internet? Let me tell you how to pretend you're American on Facebook. On city/country, you select a city in the US. That's all. Copy/paste a picture of an American looking person and upload that in your profile pic. Done.

Please read this: It's very informative

:thumbs: My friends do that all the time with countries I didn't even know existed.

:bonk: at Sarah, you need to sit and really think about your 'boyfriend's' intentions and past actions.

Lets say that Mike's friend actually is a USC, he is giving Mike a hand up as this could has been the same way he got to the US in the first place. The USC friend is paying it forward by helping Mike.

"Some of the signs that an Internet contact may be developing a relationship with a U.S. citizen in order to obtain an immigrant visa through marriage are:

Declarations of love within days or weeks of the initial contact;

Proposals or discussions of marriage soon after initial contact;

Requests to the U.S. citizen to visit the foreign national’s home country soon after the declaration of love or proposal;

Responses to messages from the U.S. citizen friend are along the lines “I love you/Sorry I missed your call,” or similarly one-sided conversations;

Once engaged, married, or an immigrant visa petition is filed, suddenly starts missing scheduled appointments to chat or call.

While chat rooms, dating, and social networking sites can be ways to make friends across international borders, the U.S. government urges U.S. citizens who meet foreign nationals on the Internet to keep in mind the signs noted above. Entering into a marriage contract for the principal purpose of facilitating immigration to the United States for an alien is against U.S. law and can result in serious penalties, including fines and imprisonment for the U.S. citizen and the foreign national involved."

This is from the Moroccan consulate website, but the message is the same, and it is coming from the US government on what to look out for. Source: http://morocco.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiance-visas.html

The comment that being "religious" is an easy way to defraud people is spot on. The guy that found you on facebook sounds like he could see you were an easy target and then tried you out on his friends. He was lucky the second one worked. You also said your boyfriend's English "isn't that great" so he couldn't fully explain how he was in South Africa. That is a humungous red flag.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

It screams scam. The fact that when you weren't interested in him he suggested his friend, means to me that they're sitting there approaching Americans, just waiting for someone to take the bait. There are probably lots of "friends".

Sarah, please reconsider going there. You haven't even met him yet, you can move on. There are a million other guys out there and you are still so young. Don't be in a hurry and don't put yourself in a risky and potentially dangerous situation.

She answered this already upthread: a Nigerian stranger contacted her out of the blue on Facebook expressing interest in her, and when she wasn't interested, he suggested that she might be interested in his friend instead. The Facebook group sounds like it came along after the fact.

Moroccan-Americanflag.jpg

Met in December 2008

Married in Morocco December 22, 2009

Filed IR1/CR1 - April 2010

NOA1 - April 29, 2010

RFE - November 12, 2010

Response to RFE - December 22, 2010

NOA2 - January 18, 2011

Paid AOS and IV Bill - January 27, 2011

Sent AOS/IV documents - March 15 2011

NVC received/signed for documents - March 17

Interview May 10

APPROVED

Timeline

"Maybe" he was an American. Or "maybe" he said he was American to build your trust before he introduced you to his Nigerian friend "Mike". And if he is American, maybe he is being used as a laison, to connect with unsuspecting young women on FB for his Nigerian friends.

A friend added me to the group

The "stranger" was an american

Met in December 2008

NOA1 - April 29, 2010

RFE - November 12, 2010

NOA2 - January 18, 2011

Interview May 10

APPROVED

Timeline

How do you know they are different people if you have not met them?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Ahhhh

That makes sense.......

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

South Africa has the highest reported incident of rape in the world.

While men are also subjected to sexual violence and 3.5% of men have

been forced to have sex with other men, the majority of sexual violence

is against women. The South African government reports that one of

these reasons is the culture of patriarchy in South Africa. Its report

states that patriarchy is firmly rooted in the country and fighting it

is seen as attempting to destroy African tradition or Afrikaner ideals.

The danger from rape and sexual assault is compounded because of the

prevalence of HIV/AIDS in South African townships. A woman being raped

over the age of 25 has a one in four chance that her attacker is HIV

positive and more women than men are affected from HIV/AIDS.

The perpetrators of rape in South Africa tend to be men known to the

victim. It is reported that a husband or boyfriend kills a woman every

six hours in South Africa. Many men and women say that rape cannot

occur in relationships; however, one in four women reported having been

abused by an intimate partner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_violence_in_South_Africa#Rape_of_women

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Timeline

That's a good point, too.

How do you know they are different people if you have not met them?

Met in December 2008

NOA1 - April 29, 2010

RFE - November 12, 2010

NOA2 - January 18, 2011

Interview May 10

APPROVED

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Here are a few suggestions for assisting one in determining if a relationship is sincere, prior to making a visit.

1. Can you talk on the webcam regularly and always on time.

2. When you talk on the webcam, are others (family members, friends of the foreigner, etc.) included in the conversation?

3. Is there interest in meeting the US Citizen's family on the webcam? Does this actually happen?

4. Does the foreigner completely answer detailed questions about their family, work, education and life experience?

Others have pointed out some red flags. The biggest ones to me are how the couple initially became acquainted, the lack of full explanation of status in South Africa and the ability to remain in SA for an extended time without a job. The most recent red flag is changing the goal from marriage to pursuing a K1 visa. What is the foreigner's reason for this?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

This sounds like a classic scam. I hope this guy is simply someone who will use you for a visa (Do you honestly believe he will randomly contact some American girl otherwise?) and not a violent person who wants to hurt you or your mom once you get there. A private investigator for some guy online halfway around the world is pointless; unless this guy is a CIA agent, you virtually have little information other than what he posts online, which can be anywhere from 1-100% BS.

And also, there's MANY people in the world who are willing to "leave everything behind" for their US's partners... including their US partners once they get to the US. The reason why consular officers give people such a hard time is because many people will in fact do lots of things just to get a US visa. Filing for a K-1 visa for him is just perfect, you have 90 days to marry, which means 90 days for him to suddenly decide to leave you. Although frankly I don't see how any CO would approve this, the red flags here are great and you're dealing with a potentially the most difficult consulate.

PLEASE read the threads here on this regional forum because they'll have a better idea of what to tell you, and on "Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits", where you'll often see letters along the line of "He/she came to the US and is now cheating on me/leaving me/not interested in me/etc". And use Google. Inform yourself. In the best scenarios, you're still dealing with Lagos and that means you will have to mentally brace yourself for it.

Good luck

What could this guy still gain from the beneficiary if he leaves her after entering on a K-1 visa? IF he was every able to get one?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

What could this guy still gain from the beneficiary if he leaves her after entering on a K-1 visa? IF he was every able to get one?

Without marrying and adjusting status he would gain entry to the USA and live here just like a few million other illegal aliens. The difference, is he has no other way to get across the border with the Atlantic ocean being a bit more daunting than the Rio Grande or a fence, etc.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Without marrying and adjusting status he would gain entry to the USA and live here just like a few million other illegal aliens. The difference, is he has no other way to get across the border with the Atlantic ocean being a bit more daunting than the Rio Grande or a fence, etc.

:lol: I'll say.

But she can make a report to USCIS that they didn't in fact marry and wouldn't they likely start deportation procedures? That is certainly would I would do if someone scammed me. I know you have to be very careful from reading posts on VJ that people will continue scamming in some ways to work the system to remain here and possibly get the petitioner in all kinds of trouble.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.