Bad_Daddy

Anti smoking zealots killing business in Anchorage

79 posts in this topic

http://www.ktuu.com/news/ktuu-assembly-to-decide-on-indoor-smoking-ban-exemption-20120508,0,7629592.story

Assembly To Decide On Indoor Smoking Ban Exemption

By Abby Hancock

Channel 2 News

9:41 a.m. AKDT, May 8, 2012

ANCHORAGE, Alaska— The Anchorage Assembly is scheduled to hear public testimony Tuesday evening about a proposed measure that would grant certain private establishments an exemption from the city's indoor smoking ban.

It began with the Fraternal Order of Eagles, a charity organization in Chugiak, which claims its membership dropped drastically after the indoor smoking ban went into effect in 2007. Member and treasurer James Stewart says the charity does a lot of good in the community, but now it's struggling to stay open.

"We've lost about 60-80 members from last year and a large portion of those were our seniors and our vets that with the winter, they just didn't renew because they're saying they're not going to come down and smoke outside when it's cold," Stewart said.

The club is hoping the Assembly approves a measure that would allow indoor smoking in a separate, contained area with proper ventilation. The ordinance was sponsored by Assembly members Debbie Ossiander and Bill Starr who represent the Chugiak-Eagle River area. According to Starr, the club is not a public place, therefore its members should be allowed to smoke inside.

"I'm not going to take away the right of a smoker that has served our country and perhaps was wounded, while they collect money to give back to our community. It seems not appropriate from a law perspective," said Starr.

Fellow Assembly member ####### Traini who represents Midtown Anchorage, calls the proposed measure a step backwards in the fight for clean air. He says the ordinance is a health concern that would impact non-smokers and employees of the establishments.

"How about the people that work there? This is going to impact their health because they may not be smokers, but for their job, they have to go and serve the industry that's smoking," said Traini.

Traini says he also worries that making exceptions to the indoor smoking rule could lead to other bars and restaurants asking to be exempt. But Starr says the ordinance would grandfather in 19 other clubs and non-profits and only those establishments would be granted an exemption.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

I have yet to see or hear of anyone holding a loaded gun to someone's head forcing them to step foot in a smoking establishment. I have yet to see or hear of someone holding a gun to someone's head forcing them to work at a smoking establishment.

Bars and clubs have closed because of this Bolshevik law. If non smokers have a problem with smoking in bars, then they need to say out or start their own non smoking bar.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Smoking is out. It's not cool anymore. Let the smokers stand in the cold and inhale their toxic's where they won't harm anyone else. If they don't like it, they can stay home and poison their own family.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Smoking is out. It's not cool anymore. Let the smokers stand in the cold and inhale their toxic's where they won't harm anyone else. If they don't like it, they can stay home and poison their own family.

People who tell the bar owners how to run their business are not cool. Is anyone forcing someone to go into a smoking establishment? It's a choice.

Let me know if someone forces you to go inside a smoking establishment.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

This sounds similar to here in MA, a private club can have indoor smoking, VFW, American Legion etc. If that's the case then I personally have no problem with it as these places are not for the general public. It is no sacrifice for 99.99% of the people to avoid them.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

This sounds similar to here in MA, a private club can have indoor smoking, VFW, American Legion etc. If that's the case then I personally have no problem with it as these places are not for the general public. It is no sacrifice for 99.99% of the people to avoid them.

Sacrifice? Nobody forces anyone into a smoking establishment. That's a matter of choice. Choice is a good thing. If someone chooses to enter a smoking establishment than it's on them.

Public bars. Let me know when someone was forced to enter a smoking bar and spend time inside. Iv'e yet to read that from any news source.

sigbet.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The Anti-Smoking Nazis are some of the worst ones out there because they think they have a "right" to patron a smoke-free environment. They're half right. They have that right, but only if the business is already non-smoking or they actually start one themselves....

I still remember the smoking ban when it got passed in Minnesota. It literally shut down the 4th floor of the Mall of America. The only place to survive was Hooters!

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

The Anti-Smoking Nazis are some of the worst ones out there because they think they have a "right" to patron a smoke-free environment. They're half right. They have that right, but only if the business is already non-smoking or they actually start one themselves....

I still remember the smoking ban when it got passed in Minnesota. It literally shut down the 4th floor of the Mall of America. The only place to survive was Hooters!

Several bars and clubs closed down in Anchorage after the Bolshevik smoking ban. Now you see car loads of people driving up to the valley (1 hr. drive) renting hotels and spending the weekend hitting the clubs. The ####### Bolshevik anti smokers have done nothing but killed business. A bar owner should have the choice to be smoking or non smoking. If there is a sign out front that says "Smoking is allowed here" then the non smoking nazi's should know better than to go inside if it bothers them. But instead of letting people have that "choice", they up and killed the clubs and bars in Anchorage. Anchorage doesn't have many born and raised Alaskans living there. Most of them are imports from the lower 48 that came up for the oil companies to work desk jobs. They are about as Alaskan as a pineapple.

sigbet.jpg

People who tell the bar owners how to run their business are not cool. Is anyone forcing someone to go into a smoking establishment? It's a choice.

Let me know if someone forces you to go inside a smoking establishment.

Kip your story says the ban went into effect 5 years ago, perhaps the club sucks on its own since the complaint is loss of members from last year? Just taking a guess...

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS