AKSinghSingh79

Had American ignorance affected yours or your spouse's adjustment to life in the U.S.?

92 posts in this topic

Yeesh, we're not ALL bad :wow:

USCIS - CSC/LOCAL OFFICE DC

12/5/11: NOA1

4/25/12: Case Transferred to Local Office (DC) for "Additional Processing"

4/27/12: Case Received at Local Office

5/15/12: RFE (daughter's birth cert)

5/15/12: RFE Evidence Sent (never received)

8/10/12: Infopass, evidence handed to officer adjudicating case

8/13/12: NOA2

NVC

8/20/12: Case Received

8/31/12: Case #/IIN Received

8/31/12: DS3032 Sent

9/11/12: ERROR MESSAGE! biggrin.png

9/13/12: AOS and IV bill INVOICED, Made AOS and IV bill payments, Mailed AOS and IV paperwork via USPS Priority Mail

9/14/12: AOS/IV marked as PAID

9/17/12: AOS delivered

9/20/12: IV delivered

9/25/12: AOS reviewed/accepted

9/26/12: IV reviewed/accepted

9/26/12: CASE COMPLETE11/27/12: Received Interview Date

01/11/13: Interview in San Salvador

03/15/13: 2nd Interview in SNS due to delayed medical report

I-601

3/21/13: Mailed to lockbox

3/22/13: Received at lockbox

9/25/13: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even though the U.S. is a self-proclaimed "melting pot", I still find many people to be abrasive toward foreign nationals looking to establish themselves here. My fiance himself is a very well-traveled man and has said to me that the U.S. is much more intolerant than the U.K. by comparison. People here have not been shy about directing racial slurs, comments about his accent, and other "tart" comments.

Other actions have been less subtle but still insulting such as giving him dirty looks when he speaks Hindi or telling him to "speak American" when he answers in English with a strong pronounced Indian accent.

Most of the time, we both just brushed these comments off but it's extremely difficult for me to control myself when someone is being so disrespectful to the man I love. Most of the time, I believe that the comments stem from ignorance rather than contempt or spite.

I'm just curious if anyone else has had issues adjusting to American life because of comments directed at that they were not intended to be rude but came across as insulting.

What you are describing has a name: xenophobia; and it is not an exclusivity of US people. Happens everywhere and you are bound to run into it sooner or later (not just in the US but everywhere), even in your/his own country!! Wait a few years and you will witness how he would be treated in similar terms by his own con-nationals in his own country. Has happened to me (I'm USC by naturalization) and it happens every time I visit.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In my dealings with Americans I don't thing I've ever been negatively targeted, but I have had some jabs taken at me.

Questions about my igloo or remarks on how I sound very different come up all the time. Thankfully, I'm able to laugh things off or play them down. When people are rude to you, you just kill them with kindness :yes:

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

That said, I should also say that much of the down putting that I have experienced in the US has been, brace yourself for this, not from Americans but from certain sections of Indians themselves who cannot hide their bias for the newer immigrants. I have had a certain wealthy Gujarati neighbor often pass snide remarks about how people from the 'south of India' are swarming all over the neighborhood, yada, yada, yada. I think this stems more from having their sense of exclusivity lost, you know, like being forced to share their American pie which they thought they had monopolistic rights over.

good.gif This is spot-on.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I wrote this post some time ago on another thread but I think it is definitely relevant here.

I can't say I have ever been made to feel unwanted or unwelcome in the 6 years I have been in the US. Of course, four of those years were spent in Ithaca, NY -- ten miles surrounded by reality, as we like to say. I now live in Albuquerque, large diverse population, also my work-place is very multi-cultural. So I can't say that I have been on the receiving end of any form or type of "hatred/xenophobia/racism/ignorance." Also, there is a huge difference between true racism and just blissful ignorance. This is just me, but I am very forgiving of ignorance. When someone asks me if I live in a hut back home or if elephants stroll down the streets, I am certainly not "hurt" or "offended" by it. I find it wonderful, actually. I am happy to explain in depths about how things work back home, our festivals, food and filmstars, and different cultural norms. Most people are fascinated and excited to learn something new, it's never been met by agression or hostility. And frankly, why should I take offense? How much do I know about Nigeria or Vietnam?

However, even if one is at the receiving end of slurs or condescending remarks, I don't think it should necessarily retard an immigrant's transition. A lot, I'd say, would depend on the attitude. If one is open to new challenges, then one has a easier time fitting in. I used to be really shy before I left home. Not self-concious or diffident, just not comfortable around new people. Once in college, I realized that if I was going to spend Friday night watching a rented DVD and eating take-out Chinese, I was going to become lonely and friendless very quickly. So I took to keeping my room-door open and often took up invitations to go to dinner or parties, even with groups of people I didn't know that well.

Another thing I've noticed is the accent. I didn't have a strong Indian accent to begin with, it was mostly neutral and most of it has been erased by four years in the U.S. However, in the beginning, when some of my American friends either giggled at or corrected my usage of a word, I didn't take offense. I laughed along with them and would say "Oh, this is how you say it here, in India we pronounce it as such-and-such." Getting defensive and clamming up doesn't do any good. Rather, having a humorous attitude about such things help. For instance, a nurse at the health center once remarked to me, "Wow, your English is remarkably impressive." So I grinned at her and said, "Why, so is yours!" And we both had a right good laugh about it.

[Another time my boss at work asked me to stamp some books. He pointed to the stamp and asked, in all seriousness, "Do they have these where you come from?" I laughed so hard I nearly peed my pants. I think HE was almost offended by HOW funny I found his question to be.]

A few other tips:

--Have your foreign SO read a basic book chronicling U.S. history. It helps immensely. I didn't like the feeling of not knowing what people were talking about with regards to slightly obscure historical figures or events. It's not easy to go from a country where you presumably know everything about its history, culture and politics to feeling like an idiot in a strange land and feeling left out of conversations. I hated feeling "stupid" as I called it. 'A People's History of the U.S.

' by Howard Zinn is a good starting point.

--Teach him American words for certain things. Like "Bell Pepper" for Capsicum. God, you should've heard me trying to order a sub from a deli my first week. Holiday/Vacation. Shower/Bath. Movie theater/hall. Bracket/parenthesis. The different types of cheeses. I didn't know diddly squat from Amul cheddar cheese until my stint at the campus food station.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

I am a USC through neutralization, I came here at the age of 11 and didn't know a thing about blakc/white/spanish/etc. I soon learned while attending JR High. My friends would talk about white people as if i was some other color and their excuse would be oh youre not white you're European. At 11 i really just wanted to fit in but now when I think about it it hurts but I understand that that was the mind process of young children who at the time might have not known better. Mind you I live in NYC in one of the most diverse boroughs where over 50 different languages are spoken and heard walking down a busy street. But you have ignorance everywhere and here in the US i think the main problem is lack of geographical location as well as lack of knowledge. I've had people tell me they hate immigrants yet this country was and is made up of immigrants. People to this day call me Russian because they have no clue that Serbia isn't Siberia or even close to Russia. In the end after almost 14 years here I have learned to live with rude comments and enjoy the good ones. I am proud to be Serbian and I am proud to be an American I love living here and I also love being from Serbia. I love being able to speak Serbian, English, and some what broken Spanish and without NYC I don't think I ever would have.

I should add that Serbia isn't any better when it comes to racisam or ignorance. I am Serbian but was born in Croatia and to Serbians even if I made my own home and was rich I would still be looked at as a refugee who used the system. I have told them pleanty of times that we should of switched sides they live in the camps i lived in and I live in a home to see which is nicer. The Gypsies or properly said Romes live a very horrible life sometimes due to racisam in Serbia. Than on the other hand in Serbia people can have schools in their own languages which you dont see here. You have Romanian schools, Albanian, Bulgarian, Hungarian, etc. Oh and a lot of them dislike America but would love to come live here.

Edited by Dana-Mića

[font="Century Gothic"]Married March 27, 2010
Sent out I-130 December 29, 2010
Recieved NOA 1 January 4, 2011
Touched January 6, 2011
Recieved NOA 2 May 9, 2011
Interview September 27, 2011
Visa in hand Septmeber 30, 2011 (it would of been the same day as the interview but they requested some more info)
POE - JFK, NYC October 12, 2011 [/font]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;0;23/st/20100327/e/Since+our+wedding/k/ccbb/event.png[/img]
[/url]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I am a USC through neutralization, I came here at the age of 11 and didn't know a thing about blakc/white/spanish/etc. I soon learned while attending JR High. My friends would talk about white people as if i was some other color and their excuse would be oh youre not white you're European. At 11 i really just wanted to fit in but now when I think about it it hurts but I understand that that was the mind process of young children who at the time might have not known better. Mind you I live in NYC in one of the most diverse boroughs where over 50 different languages are spoken and heard walking down a busy street. But you have ignorance everywhere and here in the US i think the main problem is lack of geographical location as well as lack of knowledge. I've had people tell me they hate immigrants yet this country was and is made up of immigrants. People to this day call me Russian because they have no clue that Serbia isn't Siberia or even close to Russia. In the end after almost 14 years here I have learned to live with rude comments and enjoy the good ones. I am proud to be Serbian and I am proud to be an American I love living here and I also love being from Serbia. I love being able to speak Serbian, English, and some what broken Spanish and without NYC I don't think I ever would have.

I should add that Serbia isn't any better when it comes to racisam or ignorance. I am Serbian but was born in Croatia and to Serbians even if I made my own home and was rich I would still be looked at as a refugee who used the system. I have told them pleanty of times that we should of switched sides they live in the camps i lived in and I live in a home to see which is nicer. The Gypsies or properly said Romes live a very horrible life sometimes due to racisam in Serbia. Than on the other hand in Serbia people can have schools in their own languages which you dont see here. You have Romanian schools, Albanian, Bulgarian, Hungarian, etc. Oh and a lot of them dislike America but would love to come live here.

Becoming a U.S. Citizen through neutralization? Is that done with surgery, radiation, or chemo-therapy? devil.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

Becoming a U.S. Citizen through neutralization? Is that done with surgery, radiation, or chemo-therapy? devil.gif

LOL I think they pick your brain one cell at a time.

[font="Century Gothic"]Married March 27, 2010
Sent out I-130 December 29, 2010
Recieved NOA 1 January 4, 2011
Touched January 6, 2011
Recieved NOA 2 May 9, 2011
Interview September 27, 2011
Visa in hand Septmeber 30, 2011 (it would of been the same day as the interview but they requested some more info)
POE - JFK, NYC October 12, 2011 [/font]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;0;23/st/20100327/e/Since+our+wedding/k/ccbb/event.png[/img]
[/url]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I was met with a lot of ignorance when I first came here. Most of it was born out of cluelessness rather than malice. Every demographic has its rotten apples and cesspool bottom dwellers. Just ignore them and move along. I have experienced some xenophobia from my in-laws. They somehow forget that I have been living in the USA for over 15-years and I probably know more about this great country than they do. My acclimation to American culture and customs was completed over 10 years ago. Sigh.

Edited by MikeX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i am sure we all have a common enemy,, the .001 elite that controls the public.

"Family time is very precious and you should cherish every moment of it."

01/20/12 - I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox.

01/26/12 - NOA1 received and processing at Vermont.

06/28/12 - NOA2 announced on status check.

06/29/12 - NVC received case learned on 07/2/12.

06/30/12 - Hard copy NOA2 received.

07/09/12 - NVC Casefile Number and IIN Issued.

07/16/12 - Receive and Sent DS-3032 via email.

07/17/12 - Mailed DS-3032 via mail, AOS bill received via email, paid online, Optin email sent.

07/18/12 - Optin accepted and new case number, AOS marked paid, emailed AOS packet.

07/24/12 - Assigned as Agent, IV Fee bill received via email, paid online.

07/25/12 - IV Fee marked paid, emailed IV packet.

07/31/12 - Emailed GZO Supplemental Packet 3.

08/02/12 - Case completed and commenced final review.

08/03/12 - Shipped all copies of forms/letters/documents to my wife - arriving on 8/9/12.

08/06/12 - Case completed final review.

08/09/12 - Appointment letter received via email interview date set 9/6/12.

08/14/12 - Medical exam done.

08/15/12 - Medical exam results all normal.

09/06/12 - Submitted required documents at the embassy and interview set next day at 0730.

09/07/12 - Visa approved, click here for review http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=10401 .

09/14/12 - Visa received on hand!

10/07/12 - Arrived at NYC! click here for review http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-poe-reviews.php?entry=15293

10/20/12 - Received welcome letter from USCIS.

10/25/12 - Green Card received!

"Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions." - Sun-Tzu

04/27/13 - Submitted DS-160 online for parent-in-laws and sister-in-law.

05/01/13 - Paid DS-160 or MRV Fee Payments on CGI Stanley.

05/03/13 - Made appointment for 05/16/13 on CGI Stanley.

05/16/13 - Arrived at GUZ and impromptu notice on the front it was closed.

05/30/13 - B2 visa interview passed! Read review here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/433263-b2-visa-was-approved-for-parentinlaw/ <p>

"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." - ADM Hyman G. Rickover

08/08/14 - Mailed I-175 application.

08/11/14 - I-175 arrived at VSC.

08/18/14 - Received NOA1 with date 08/12/14.

08/27/14 - Received biometrics appointment for 09/09/14.

02/27/15 - GC in production from email notification.

03/02/15 - Received NOA2 with approval dated 02/25/15.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well... I'm a Canadian born to Italian immigrant parents...living in a French province as an anglophone.Whenever I visit my fiance, I often get made fun of and laughed at because of the way i say "zed" or "washroom"( instead of bathroom)....or how i sometimes say "eh?". Am i insulted or upset by their giggles and comments? NOPE! I'm sure that if they were to ever travel and visit other parts of the world, they'd be poked fun at because of their accents as well.

Am I tired of being asked the question " So, have you guys discovered electricity yet? or do you still live in igloos?" or another one of my favorites.." Canada, America's lesser know sister, you know that eventually we'll just incorporate you into our country right? " YUP! It's one thing to be poked fun at because of the way you pronounce certain words...another entirely to be made to feel as if you're less of a person because you aren't an American.

I grew up in Montreal...where schools are bilingual, and your neighbor on one side is Irish and the neighbor on the other is Moroccan, your boss is Jewish and your doctor is European. I feel sorry and sad for ANYONE who makes racist and discriminatory remarks...their ignorance will be their own downfall. I don't really care which God you pray to, or the color of your skin, or how you pronounce letters of the alphabet and I am REALLY hoping that once I do move to the USA- I will be lucky enough to meet people who feel the same way as I do.

I'm sure that culturally, there will be an adjustment period...but hopefully, it'll be a smooth and uncomplicated one!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

i had lived here for more than 20 years,im not native american,and never,i had felt my self discriminate in this country, i have accent ,and never nobody discriminated me for my way of speak, i think there are stupid people everywhere,and believe me,the people than discriminate the others here,75% are not native Americans............ Its my opinion y respect the others.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

The Minister replied "Why? you're going to hell anyway"... He then said you don't even pray to the right God!

Wow, sounds like a southern baptist. ;) They LOVE to judge, and are way more focused on Hell in my experiences than other denominations. [No flames I was raised methodist / baptist and have attended a southern baptist church for 2 years. (in the past)] I am surprised he didn't realize the thing about religions springing from the God of Abraham. headbonk.gif But good for you for recognizing that Jews, Christians and Muslims all pray to the same God. :) That shocks a LOT of people. I often think God is really pissed at a lot of his followers (of all faiths :) )

We are no where close to a perfect society, but I think we are the best country overall. :) I'm a true believer on that. I just try to not be blind to our faults.

10/19/2011- FedEx'd I-129F

10/20/2011 - Received @ Dallas Lockbox

10/25/2011 - Received E-mail/Text for NOA1

10/28/2011 - Received NOA1 Hardcopy

02/11/2012 - Received E-mail/Text RFE

02/13/2012 - Received Hardcopy of RFE

02/16/2012 - Fedex'd RFE response

02/17/2012 - Received RFE response @ VSC

02/24/2012 - Received E-mail/Text, RFE Response Review

03/07/2012 - Received E-mail/Text for NOA2 (134 days)

03/10/2012 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

03/13/2012 - NVC Received I129F Approval Packet

03/20/2012 - NVC Sent Packet to Embassy

04/04/2012 - Embassy Received Packet

04/16/2012 - Fiancee received Packet 3.

04/30/2012 - Fiancee responded to Packet 3

06/21/2012 - Interview Date. Visais Approved!.

07/01/2012 - Received Visa from Go2

07/05/2012 - Arrived in USA. Chicago POE.

07/05/2012 - Arrived in Washington.

07/27/2012 - Married (Yea)

09/01/2012 - AOS, AP, EAD Applied for via USPS Registered Mail

09/09/2012 - EMails for all three forms arrived.

09/1?/2012 - NOA 1s for all three arrived.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.