MapleLeafBaby

Naturalisation from K1- lots of q's

9 posts in this topic

Hello...I'm hoping to clarify a few questions.

I rec'd my conditional GC on Sept/2009 based on marriage that took place 07/09. I just got approved for PR 10 year card.

I see that I qualify for 3 year based on marriage, correct?

I also can apply up to 90 days in advance to my Sept 2009 GC, so I can apply July of this year?

I came on a K1 and my son a K2. Is he able to naturalize under me if I file the additional form? My US Citizen husband is his step dad (not legal though)...but if I naturalize can my 8 year old do so with me?

It talks about previous divorce decrees... I provided divorce docs from my first marriage for my AOS/ROC... do I need to provide them again? Along with all the other docs they request like tax scripts etc...

Is there somewhere where I can find a specific list of all docs needed?

If I file for my son with me, is it just the additional waiver I file or do I have to file a whole sep 400 for him?

I am the only one that gets interviewed and tested, or does my son as well?

thanks for the help...I am just starting to collect everything now ...

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** topic split from general info thread so it can be seen more and get better answers ****

I see that I qualify for 3 year based on marriage, correct? - Yes

I also can apply up to 90 days in advance to my Sept 2009 GC, so I can apply July of this year? - Yes. Many advice to wait till about the 80 day mark, to ensure they don't get it too early as that may actually delay things if they need to wait with scheduling your oath.

It talks about previous divorce decrees... I provided divorce docs from my first marriage for my AOS/ROC... do I need to provide them again? Along with all the other docs they request like tax scripts etc... - Yes

Is there somewhere where I can find a specific list of all docs needed? - http://www.visajourney.com/content/naturalization_guide

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Wondered why they didn't request those two affidavits from friends or relatives, signed and notarized, and you can torture them if they lied for the ROC, but not for naturalization. But for naturalization they did want everything else. But for the ROC, they didn't want another copy of your divorce papers nor marriage certificate like for the AOS, but sure wanted those for naturalization.

To get a marriage license in Wisconsin, wife and I had to bring in our divorce papers, plus wait two weeks so they could check them out, then the same thing again for the AOS, then again for her naturalization. Would define the evidence required for naturalization the sum of the evidence required both for the AOS and ROC stages.

The stack for the N-400 was the thickest yet. Sure took their sweet time for those ten year cards, requested updated evidence, everything we submitted for the N-400, they already had. In reading over the N-400 form, every question rang a strong bell. We already gave them all this information! Just got on my computer, opened all those submitted forms and did a copy and paste operation with only some updated on address, employment, and trips outside of the USA.

Yeah, my stepdaughter tail gated my wife for the ROC, just had to pay an extra 80 bucks for her biometrics, didn't even ask about her on that I-751 form expect that she existed, same on the N-400. Your son will automatically become a US citizen when you do, but without any kind of proof. Need the N-600 for that or can apply for a US passort, but the N-600 closes the door for him with the USCIS. You are also now dealing with the DOS, also a part of Homeland Security, but an entirely different agency wanting all kinds of proof. Just like the proof you needed to bring him here with permission from the other parent and proof that he is indeed your kid.

We were spared all that extra work with my stepdaughter, long delays in the AOS stage and losing my I-130 petition for her, she barely turned 18 when my wife was naturalized. So she simply had to wait another two years and apply for the N-400 herself.

I also can apply up to 90 days in advance to my Sept 2009 GC, so I can apply July of this year?

90 days before September is a June date. But you're not likely to be given an interview until after that Sept date so plan on doing biometrics then a couple months of nothing until close to the Sept date.

It talks about previous divorce decrees... I provided divorce docs from my first marriage for my AOS/ROC... do I need to provide them again? Along with all the other docs they request like tax scripts etc...

Checklist M-477 http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/attachments.pdf

We're just going over things today for husband's interview tomorrow, so have the stuff in front of me. Here's what worked for us (K1 start). All documents in application are photocopies.

Form N-400

Front/back of greencard

Two passport photos--full name, A# on back

Proof of my US citizenship (birth certificate)

Marriage certificate

Termination of prior marriages for each of us (death certificate, divorce decree)

Tax transcripts 2008, 2009, 2010 (applied before 2011 done)

Statements from two joint bank accounts-just the most recent statement at the time of filing (Dec 2010)

I didn't overload with marriage proofs like the removal of conditions application because I knew there would be an interview where that can be provided. I only put in the bank statements to show we still bank together a year after the last evidence was provided. We will take the originals of the US birth certificate, marriage, divorce, etc. to the interview as well as a few more recent things showing our "jointness" in case they want more.

They send out a yellow letter prior to your interview notice saying what evidence you should bring. I guess it's based on your application. Ours only listed the originals of the death certificate and divorce decree. Some people are asked to bring driver licenses of both spouses. I sent photocopies of our DLs in the ROC application to show same address. Wonder if they reviewed that and that's why our yellow letter didn't mention it. The point is, if your application is lacking evidence, your yellow letter will mention additional things they wish to see. And the interview letter will mention other things to show up with like passport, greencard, state issued ID, etc. I am only mentioning the marriage component you asked about based on 3 years.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

But better to have too much evidence than not enough. For us, a lost day at work or school, and another 450 mile round trip.

Good point that the IO at any given office may ask for things another IO might skip over. Will be taking the latest version of water bill (the only joint utility), Macy's, car titles/insurance, bank statement, veterinary receipt, dental receipt, 2011 tax transcript...basically a one year later version of the ROC evidence. And an old traffic ticket receipt. We don't have his name on house deed, property taxes, my health insurance, most utilities, my IRA. All you can do is take what you have.

Luckily for us it's only 20 miles round trip and we don't have to take off work. Hoping it's an easy process with a cheerful IO. :D

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I rec'd my conditional GC on Sept/2009 based on marriage that took place 07/09. I just got approved for PR 10 year card.

I see that I qualify for 3 year based on marriage, correct?

I came on a K1 and my son a K2. Is he able to naturalize under me if I file the additional form? My US Citizen husband is his step dad (not legal though)...but if I naturalize can my 8 year old do so with me?

If I file for my son with me, is it just the additional waiver I file or do I have to file a whole sep 400 for him?

I am the only one that gets interviewed and tested, or does my son as well?

Yes you can file 90 days ahead. Your children under age 18 will become citizens automatically when you do. You can get them their own certificate ($600) or just bring your citizenship certificate and their birth certificate to the passport office and get them a passport. A passport is proof of citizenship. The certificate for them is optional AND they can get one at any time in the future if they want.

You do not file anything separately for your son under age 18. Just list him as a child on your N-400. You list ALL children of whatever age of whatever parentage, even if they are already US citizens such as husbands children from previous marriage (if any)

YEs you need copies of divorce decrees AGAIN and at the interview you will bring the original and another copy. Warm up the copy machine!

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

post removed for including a suggested racial perception that is offensive.

edited post returned below

For my wife's friend, living on the Illinois side of St. Louis, had to take a train to Chicago, spend overnight in an overpriced hotel room, only to find out besides everything else she provided, like a home deed with her and her spouses name on it. They wanted to see a completely worthless joint utility bill. So had to make an additional trip to do that.

All this depends upon that one IO you are stuck with, would think with what you went through for the AOS and ROC stages, they would trust their own green card. When I heard that, ran to my electrical company and added my wife's name to it, sure enough her IO at St. Paul wanted to see that worthless piece of evidence, would think her name on our home deed, personal property tax bill, health, auto, vehicles, a German Shepherd dog, joint bank accounts, four of them, etc., will be enough.

----------------content removed due to reports----------------------------------------

Hispanics are not a race, but a culture. Both my wife and her friend, of German descent had to check that Hispanic box on their applications. With our luck her friend and my wife's IO were black and my stepdaughters' IO was Chinese. Neither could speak English very well.

Thought my stepdaughters' five year interview would go smooth, just in case, gave her four years of tax and grade transcripts, speaks perfect English and on the high honor roll. He didn't want to see anything of that. But instead made o bid issue of a four year old 50 buck traffic ticket she received and wanted proof that I paid that fine. That caused a delay, Personally, would have liked to snap his neck of that little SOB, but have to be nice and comply. Just let my senators deal with these people.

Both my wife and stepdaughter feel that came to very racists country, have the same mix in their country, not like that a all. But learned how to adapt, feel we ran into this same issue with the USCIS as well. But better to have too much evidence than not enough. For us, a lost day at work or school, and another 450 mile round trip.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome back girl!

I see that I qualify for 3 year based on marriage, correct? YES

I also can apply up to 90 days in advance to my Sept 2009 GC, so I can apply July of this year? correct

I came on a K1 and my son a K2. Is he able to naturalize under me if I file the additional form? My US Citizen husband is his step dad (not legal though)...but if I naturalize can my 8 year old do so with me? You will just Apply for the N600 after your process is all done. He will inherirt citizenship once you're approved.

It talks about previous divorce decrees... I provided divorce docs from my first marriage for my AOS/ROC... do I need to provide them again? Along with all the other docs they request like tax scripts etc... Yes, you know how they are...gawd forbid they connect everything in your file ;)

Is there somewhere where I can find a specific list of all docs needed? Guides

If I file for my son with me, is it just the additional waiver I file or do I have to file a whole sep 400 for him? You're filing for your own citiznship only at this point

I am the only one that gets interviewed and tested, or does my son as well? Just you

This is an easy one :)

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Good point that the IO at any given office may ask for things another IO might skip over. Will be taking the latest version of water bill (the only joint utility), Macy's, car titles/insurance, bank statement, veterinary receipt, dental receipt, 2011 tax transcript...basically a one year later version of the ROC evidence. And an old traffic ticket receipt. We don't have his name on house deed, property taxes, my health insurance, most utilities, my IRA. All you can do is take what you have.

Luckily for us it's only 20 miles round trip and we don't have to take off work. Hoping it's an easy process with a cheerful IO. :D

Follow up after today's interview~~~

Well, that was easy! Took that little folder with the important originals (US birth certificate, death certificate/divorce decree asked for in yellow letter), as well as 4 tax transcripts, and the latest of 4 things we have joint (bank, Macy's, vet, dentist). The folder was never opened!! She looked at nothing but the passport and drivers license and discussed nothing other than quickly verifying what was in the N-400.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.