jerryadams

Wife pulled petition without my knowledge

82 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I came across this site by chance and I have been reading several posts. Some good, some bad. I am writing because I am in a predicament and will appreciate any help/advice I can get now so I can know what to do.

I came to the US on a K1 visa in 2009 and got married to my wife who is a US citizen within 30 days. We applied for the I-765 & I-485. My I-765 was approved in a few months and my AOS was pending. We stayed in a small city in MI and started building our lives together. It was difficult adjusting to the weather and finding a job. I discovered my wife had an anger problem, she screamed, shouted and threw things at me. I stayed because I believe we could work things out.

To cut the long story short, my wife with-drew the AOS petition without my knowledge in late 2011. When I re-applied to renew my EAD, it was denied because she with-drew the petition. I loved my wife, took care of her and did everything to make her happy. I asked her why she with-drew it and she said that she was angry at me one time and wasn't thinking straight. I felt so hurt and disappointed. At the moment, we are getting a divorce because it has broken the trust in our relationship.

I am writing to ask what my options are: I confirmed from the immigration and the petition was withdrawn. I am not in removal proceedings but I want to be sure what my options are. I came in legally, got married, took care of my wife, paid my taxes and have done everything right until this. I will appreciate any advice at this point. Thanks

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I came across this site by chance and I have been reading several posts. Some good, some bad. I am writing because I am in a predicament and will appreciate any help/advice I can get now so I can know what to do.

I came to the US on a K1 visa in 2009 and got married to my wife who is a US citizen within 30 days. We applied for the I-765 & I-485. My I-765 was approved in a few months and my AOS was pending. We stayed in a small city in MI and started building our lives together. It was difficult adjusting to the weather and finding a job. I discovered my wife had an anger problem, she screamed, shouted and threw things at me. I stayed because I believe we could work things out.

To cut the long story short, my wife with-drew the AOS petition without my knowledge in late 2011. When I re-applied to renew my EAD, it was denied because she with-drew the petition. I loved my wife, took care of her and did everything to make her happy. I asked her why she with-drew it and she said that she was angry at me one time and wasn't thinking straight. I felt so hurt and disappointed. At the moment, we are getting a divorce because it has broken the trust in our relationship.

I am writing to ask what my options are: I confirmed from the immigration and the petition was withdrawn. I am not in removal proceedings but I want to be sure what my options are. I came in legally, got married, took care of my wife, paid my taxes and have done everything right until this. I will appreciate any advice at this point. Thanks

I think its better to see immigration lawyer at this point this is your best option now.

K1 visa process
06/08/2011 I-129 sent
06/11/2011 I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)
09/23/2011 I-129F NOA2 (Approved)
10/11/2011 Package Received By NVC
10/11/2011 Package Left From NVC
10/16/2011 Received By Consulate
10/20/2011 Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)
11/09/2011 Complete Instructions (Pkt 3)
01/21/2012 Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4)
02/21/2012 Interview Date (K1 Visa)
02/21/2012 Interview Result Approved
02/29/2012 K1 Visa Received

03/16/2012 US Entry
03/19/2012 Marriage

Our AOS process
03/29/2012 AOS I-485/ EAD I-765/ AP I-131 filed
04/04/2012 NOA1 for AOS/ EAD/ AP
04/23/2012 Case transferred
05/08/2012 Biometric Appt Date for AOS and EAD
06/01/2012 EAD and Ap approved
06/09/2012 EAD and Ap combo card received
08/24/2012 AOS Approved
09/09/2012 Green Card received with no interview

Removing Conditions

05/27/2014 I-751 sent to Vermont Service Center

05/30/2014 Package Received

06/02/2014 NOA1

07/07/2014 Biometrics Appointment

12/01/2014 case transferred for California service center

01/13/2015 Second Biometrics appointment

01/23/2015 case approved

01/31/2015 Card Received

Hi Everyone,

Do you have your 2 year GC? Was it AOS or ROC that she withdrew or the I-864? If you have your 2 year GC, then you are about due to file ROC. As the marriage is ending you will need to file the ROC with a waiver and prove the marriage was entered into in good faith. To not file ROC will cause your GC to expire and you will be deportable once the GC expires. If you never received the 2 year GC, I am not sure what your options are at this point.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You have no way to stay really. You never gained permenant resident status, Your EAD technically became invalid when the underlying AOS petition was withdrawn ( so you may have accidentially accured unauthorized working ) You don't have a VAWA case as there are no reported abuse and for a man being yelled at isn't likely to be accepted. If the marriage is dead then I think you will have to leave. Because you came on a K1 and never got a green card the law is written that you can't adjust status based on another petition ( I am not implying you are in another relationship but if one happened it wouldn't help )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Unless there's some violence from her toward you, I'd suggest looking at the cost of plane tickets to go back home. Sorry, without the AOS complete you are out of luck.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

The reply from the USCIS about the denial said it was denied because she with-drew it and that I may become a public charge (whatever that means). So, I really don't know my status right now. I didn't come to the States seeking immigration benefits, I never claimed my wife abused me even though she was a violent person.

My question to this forum is what are my choices if any. I appreciate your input and advice so far.

@NigeriaorBust: Thanks for your input, you said that the law is written that one can't adjust status based on another petition. Can you provide additional details i.e. web links, documents. Thanks again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Are you sure she withdrew it in 2011? Can you give us the exact wording you got from USCIS about the denial, with names and case numbers XXX's out? It seems very strange that your AOS was pending for 2 years, from 2009 when you married to 2011 when she pulled her affidavit of support.

If you indeed never got AOS then the others are correct, you cannot stay.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

If you never received a green card - presumably she pulled her affidavit of support - there is nothing you can do. K-1s can only adjust through marriage to the original petitioner (or VAWA if you were abused and can prove it).

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

How did the motion answer your questions? because is crystal clear the Class Member in Hootkins v. Chertoff did not define a classe that applies to you. The First Circuit concluded that widows spouses maintain the ability to file a petition for adjustment of status in which an I-485 application was not filed prior to the U.S. citizen spouse's death. You are not a putative Class Member In Hootkins v. Chertoff because your petitioner is ALIVE. The Ninth and Sixth Circuit decided the Class Hootkins applies equally to those cases as well. IT'S NOT YOUR CASE! Forget about it!!!!!.

Edited by sandranj

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Despite the divorce, he is still entitle to apply for the Adjustment of Status on his own since he came on K1 visa. I disagreed with the people that posted that he would not be entitled to adjust status. The case of Choin and Mukasey is an eye opener for every applicant that came on K1 Visa. Please view this site and look for an immigration Attorney that will work with you through out the entire process. http://www.visapro.com/Immigration-Articles/?a=1169&z=36. Please before you post anything as an advice to any applicant that needs help, always search for the recent immigration amendments in such cases to avoid misleading the applicant. US Immigration Laws is changing everyday, If he can demostrate that he enters the marriage in good faith, his permanent residence is certain without any hinderance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.