luckytxn

Gardening threads (merged)

377 posts in this topic

Timeline

Either way I still say he's lying. :devil: :devil: And I thought prunes were just shriveled up plums?

Know nothing about prunes. Will do a google.star_smile.gif

You are right. Prunes are shriveled up plums.blink.gif

Edited by luckytxn

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Liar. No way plums are growing yet in Canada.

Something's growing, but it ain't prunes. devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif

Is it a prune or a plum?

That's a prune, the plums are blooming, though. The sudden heat wave is going ot do a number on the fruit buds. crying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gif

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

Either way I still say he's lying. :devil: :devil: And I thought prunes were just shriveled up plums?

You've been watching me get out of the shower, haven't you?devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif A prune is not a plum. Plums are primarily Asian in origin and were bred by Luther Burbank. Prunes are primarily European in origin and they aren't nearly as juicy but they tend to be tastier. The prune (Prunus domestica) is hexaploid, if I recall correctly and the Japanese Plums (Prunus sp.) are diploid. They are not compatible.

You're trying to impress us like BY.

Oi! Where's me vegemite sandwich?

IR5

Timeline

Yea, well my mother always told me prunes were dried up plums.

Depends on how long they've been suntanning. devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif

IR5

Anyone got any experience with squash pests? We had one year growing the most amazing summer and winter squashes and since then we have something that gets the plants just as they are about to produce fruit or while the squash are still ripening.

It happens in less than a day - one minute they plants are looking amazing - the next minute they are completely withered and dried up and dead.

We have several raised beds and have moved the squash around the garden over the last three years trying to fool whatever it is but no luck so far.

dscn2409.jpg?w=700&h=

Timeline

Anyone got any experience with squash pests? We had one year growing the most amazing summer and winter squashes and since then we have something that gets the plants just as they are about to produce fruit or while the squash are still ripening.

It happens in less than a day - one minute they plants are looking amazing - the next minute they are completely withered and dried up and dead.

We have several raised beds and have moved the squash around the garden over the last three years trying to fool whatever it is but no luck so far.

dscn2409.jpg?w=700&h=

Some. Sounds like the squash borer but a bit more info would be nice. That's a lovely garden, do you have any pics of the damage?

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

Some. Sounds like the squash borer but a bit more info would be nice. That's a lovely garden, do you have any pics of the damage?

No - unfortunately, no pics. I've done some online searching and had thought it might be a squash borer. Sounds like it would be a lot of work to try to get rid of it?

Maybe I could container plant some squash with new soil?

Anyone had to deal with this before?

Also we aim to be chemical and pesticide free on our veg so I have to have an organic solution.

Timeline

No - unfortunately, no pics. I've done some online searching and had thought it might be a squash borer. Sounds like it would be a lot of work to try to get rid of it?

Also we aim to be chemical and pesticide free on our veg so I have to have an organic solution.

Really need pics to tell for sure. Squash is usually an easy to grow veggie. If it is a borer then a herbicide is needed. Go to the nearest nursery and tell them you need one for borers.

Timeline

With raised beds, you can isolate and observe. Container growing doesn't help in this case since the moth lays eggs and they can fly but it makes isolation that much easier. Organic solutions are labour intensive but they do work. Biological warfare is the answer. Go to your local garden centre and get some BTK (just like the serial killer), the little nemtodes kill the borer larvae. Insecticidal soap works well, too. Spray the entire vine, especially near the base once a week with some high-quality stuff, that'll learn 'em! Also dig around the area where you had the problems and look for the white grubs and/or cocoons and then go psycho on them. Aluminum foil wrapped around the base is supposed to help keep them at bay and look for the entry point (the frass or exudate will give it away) cut it open with a pen knife and remove them, the vine usually seals itself.

Really need pics to tell for sure. Squash is usually an easy to grow veggie. If it is a borer then an herbicide insecticide is needed. Go to the nearest nursery and tell them you need one for borers.

Sorry.star_smile.gif Now if none of these work, I do have plans for a homemade flamethrower. devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

With raised beds, you can isolate and observe. Container growing doesn't help in this case since the moth lays eggs and they can fly but it makes isolation that much easier. Organic solutions are labour intensive but they do work. Biological warfare is the answer. Go to your local garden centre and get some BTK (just like the serial killer), the little nemtodes kill the borer larvae. Insecticidal soap works well, too. Spray the entire vine, especially near the base once a week with some high-quality stuff, that'll learn 'em! Also dig around the area where you had the problems and look for the white grubs and/or cocoons and then go psycho on them. Aluminum foil wrapped around the base is supposed to help keep them at bay and look for the entry point (the frass or exudate will give it away) cut it open with a pen knife and remove them, the vine usually seals itself.

Sorry.star_smile.gif Now if none of these work, I do have plans for a homemade flamethrower. devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif

Just use a weed burner.

SZ2_2525.jpg

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

Just use a weed burner.

SZ2_2525.jpg

and claim that you didn't inhale.devil.gif

IR5