luckytxn

Gardening threads (merged)

377 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Sweet, but you should have planted the gardener.devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif Bananas in So. Cal. are a microclimate fruit, with the right variety and location, very doable, bananas in the Great Lakes, not so much.crying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gif I'm surprised that you don't grow date palms or pistachios (altthough you need to have climate more like Davis to have a regular crop). I am jealous.

I never looked into it further but dont you need to cover the bananas with a bag at a certain point to protect them from frost?? I always assumed they did not survive because of my negligence.

Never thought of pistachios...love eating them. And inland from me there are MACADAMIA farming!!! YUM. It would be worth trying, do you know how much a small box from Hawaii costs? :blink:

Great Lakes....Maple trees for tapping Maple Syrup? :hehe: Enlighten me.. what u can grow there?

to Luckytxn~ very pretty photo of your rose Thanks!

event.png

event.png

Timeline

I never looked into it further but dont you need to cover the bananas with a bag at a certain point to protect them from frost?? I always assumed they did not survive because of my negligence.

Never thought of pistachios...love eating them. And inland from me there are MACADAMIA farming!!! YUM. It would be worth trying, do you know how much a small box from Hawaii costs? :blink:

Great Lakes....Maple trees for tapping Maple Syrup? :hehe: Enlighten me.. what u can grow there?

Thanks. That is the first one to open on my prized rose bush. Hoping when I get home in a day or two to see many more.star_smile.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Very nice, not a hint of fungus or black spot.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

Spent waaay too much time trying to growing tropicals in these parts. Was growing up to 7 varieties of bananas at one time, any questions on banana growing, I can probably help out. Might be able to help you pick the right variety to try, ICE CREAM and RAJAPURI would be my top two choices. ORINOCO is more of a cooking type but it grows in cooler UDSA zones than you. Inedible bananas are capable of handling much colder temps but CALIFORNIA GOLD is supposed to be even more clod-hardy than some of the inedible ones and the fruit is sweeet. How many nights with frost do you get? Tropicals don't fruit around here, but figs do with a bit of care. I bring mine in, not really into the wrapping routine but I've seen some wild protection schemes. Pistachios require very particular climatic conditions, the only place in the US that approximates the climate in Iran and Iraq, where they are native, is Davis. Might be worth a try. Macadamia nuts should be OK in the Inland Empire as well as litchis. Maple syrup season is upon us, mmmmm nothing like the Quebec stuff, them Quebecois know their sh*t. We can grow cherries (sweet and sour), apples, prunes, mulberries and a few other fruits reliably. Peaches, apricots, burbank plums need whitewashing and protection from early thaws and subsequent canker. Never had any luck with nectarines.

IR5

Timeline

Spent waaay too much time trying to growing tropicals in these parts. Was growing up to 7 varieties of bananas at one time, any questions on banana growing, I can probably help out. Might be able to help you pick the right variety to try, ICE CREAM and RAJAPURI would be my top two choices. ORINOCO is more of a cooking type but it grows in cooler UDSA zones than you. Inedible bananas are capable of handling much colder temps but CALIFORNIA GOLD is supposed to be even more clod-hardy than some of the inedible ones and the fruit is sweeet. How many nights with frost do you get? Tropicals don't fruit around here, but figs do with a bit of care. I bring mine in, not really into the wrapping routine but I've seen some wild protection schemes. Pistachios require very particular climatic conditions, the only place in the US that approximates the climate in Iran and Iraq, where they are native, is Davis. Might be worth a try. Macadamia nuts should be OK in the Inland Empire as well as litchis. Maple syrup season is upon us, mmmmm nothing like the Quebec stuff, them Quebecois know their sh*t. We can grow cherries (sweet and sour), apples, prunes, mulberries and a few other fruits reliably. Peaches, apricots, burbank plums need whitewashing and protection from early thaws and subsequent canker. Never had any luck with nectarines.

Don't know much about bananas. Have seen them grown here but they tend to grow smaller. We do have nectarines grow well here. I do have an orange tree that I pruned a few weeks ago. Had some nice fruit last year but plan on it doing better this year since I started to care for it. Will take pics of it when it does if I can snap the pic before my wife and the other girls at the shop pick it.

Timeline

Don't know much about bananas. Have seen them grown here but they tend to grow smaller. We do have nectarines grow well here. I do have an orange tree that I pruned a few weeks ago. Had some nice fruit last year but plan on it doing better this year since I started to care for it. Will take pics of it when it does if I can snap the pic before my wife and the other girls at the shop pick it.

Usually DWARF CAVENDISH is the variety homeowners grow. The bananas are 4 to 6" long, the store variety are GROS MICHEL which tend to have larger fruit. can't wait to see your orange tree pics. I have some plumeria/frangipani pics from last year somewhere. Luv the smell! No voodoo lily pics and the smell...helpsmilie.gif

IR5

Timeline

Usually DWARF CAVENDISH is the variety homeowners grow. The bananas are 4 to 6" long, the store variety are GROS MICHEL which tend to have larger fruit. can't wait to see your orange tree pics. I have some plumeria/frangipani pics from last year somewhere. Luv the smell! No voodoo lily pics and the smell...helpsmilie.gif

Well if anything I can take a pic of the tree. Last year any orange showing up was gone fast. My wife or her babe friends did not understand my English well enough to understand to wait for a tree full of oranges and me taking pictures before starting to pick the fruit. I am hoping this year the communication gap will be less and they know this but I doubt it. It is either that or they are ignoring me.

Timeline

It is either that or they are ignoring me.

Probably the latter. tongue.gif

IR5

Timeline

I think so too. They think they have me wrapped around their finger.mad.gif

Plant some bananas and they'll ignore you. yes.gifyes.gifyes.gif

IR5

Timeline

They love bananas for sure. star_smile.gif

At least they can't eat my roses.kicking.gif

Psst....rose hips and petals are edible.

IR5