luckytxn

Gardening threads (merged)

377 posts in this topic

Timeline

Very nice, was never a big fan of rose bushes but I am partial to the odd floribunda.good.gifgood.gifgood.gif

Floribunda's are good for covering large areas and can be nice. I like bushes and the work that goes into working them into a beautiful shape. A bad prune or trim and you lose that control for a year. A well pruned and trimmed rose bush is a beauty to behold.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Also since it is that time of year any want advice please ask either I can answer if I know or I am sure someone can.star_smile.gif

You're probably USDA Zone 9 or better, you can grow lots of stuff that those of us in Zone 5 or 6 can only dream about. *starts drooling*

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

There is something terribly wonderful about those Russian Giant sunflowers, grew one that reached 10' when I was a kid. I've cut way back, just a few tropicals and the fruit trees, along with the Echinops and whatnot. Love hollyhocks, too.

What kind of fruit trees you have that far north?

You're probably USDA Zone 9 or better, you can grow lots of stuff that those of us in Zone 5 or 6 can only dream about. *starts drooling*

Well we are in a temperate climate and get to grow most plants. My Grandma used to be able to grow even tropicals sometimes in the green house.

Timeline

Floribunda's are good for covering large areas and can be nice. I like bushes and the work that goes into working them into a beautiful shape. A bad prune or trim and you lose that control for a year. A well pruned and trimmed rose bush is a beauty to behold.

You don't have to worry about frost damage and scion dieback isn't an issue, you can get away with some of the more delicate English roses (the good stinky types, not those pretty but sterile hybrid teas) those of us in the frozen tundra, on the other hand...crying.gif

IR5

There is something terribly wonderful about those Russian Giant sunflowers, grew one that reached 10' when I was a kid. I've cut way back, just a few tropicals and the fruit trees, along with the Echinops and whatnot. Love hollyhocks, too.

I tell my wife I like happy flowers. Sunflowers and daffodils are happy flowers. And the sunflowers go from the small ones all the way to the giants at 10+ feet. Everyone grew sunflowers when they were kids. Why am I the only old ** growing them?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

You don't have to worry about frost damage and scion dieback isn't an issue, you can get away with some of the more delicate English roses (the good stinky types, not those pretty but sterile hybrid teas) those of us in the frozen tundra, on the other hand...crying.gif

We have to worry about frost damage but only minor.star_smile.gif

Choose to live in tundra then have to plant when able.star_smile.gif

Timeline

I tell my wife I like happy flowers. Sunflowers and daffodils are happy flowers. And the sunflowers go from the small ones all the way to the giants at 10+ feet. Everyone grew sunflowers when they were kids. Why am I the only old ** growing them?

We grew a large amount of sunflowers every year. After the season we had to dry them then gather the seeds and soak and bake the seeds. Enough to last till the following year. Now most just go a bag of seeds to eat already prepared.

Timeline

What kind of fruit trees you have that far north?

Well we are in a temperate climate and get to grow most plants. My Grandma used to be able to grow even tropicals sometimes in the green house.

I grow all manner of fruit trees. Canker is a serious problem here but I have two huge sweet cherry trees (Van and Hedelfingen), a large sour cherry (Montmorency), two apples (Summerland Mac and Empire), had a few years of good apricot crops but the frost damaged the buds and the canker got the trees. Peaches lasted for a few years but canker got them (had a 80+lb crop one year but that was about it), tons of mulberries (super-sweet white ones and tasty black ones). I do the fig dance (every Easter I drag them out of the basement and every Thanksgiving I take them back down) manage to get in few ripe ones every year. Road salt damages the prunes (Italian and Stanley). Burbank plums were decimated by the canker and now only the rootstocks remain. I grow a few tropicals, too.

I like lupins, they are happy flowers. Might plant a few sunflowers this year, if I can find my seeds.

IR5

Timeline

We have to worry about frost damage but only minor.star_smile.gif

Choose to live in tundra then have to plant when able.star_smile.gif

True, but I consider it a challenge before the whole human race and I ain't gonna lose!

IR5

Timeline

I grow all manner of fruit trees. Canker is a serious problem here but I have two huge sweet cherry trees (Van and Hedelfingen), a large sour cherry (Montmorency), two apples (Summerland Mac and Empire), had a few years of good apricot crops but the frost damaged the buds and the canker got the trees. Peaches lasted for a few years but canker got them (had a 80+lb crop one year but that was about it), tons of mulberries (super-sweet white ones and tasty black ones). I do the fig dance (every Easter I drag them out of the basement and every Thanksgiving I take them back down) manage to get in few ripe ones every year. Road salt damages the prunes (Italian and Stanley). Burbank plums were decimated by the canker and now only the rootstocks remain. I grow a few tropicals, too.

I like lupins, they are happy flowers. Might plant a few sunflowers this year, if I can find my seeds.

Had never heard of peach or even cherry trees that far north. I can learn.

True, but I consider it a challenge before the whole human race and I ain't gonna lose!

Good luck and God bless.good.gif

Timeline

Had never heard of peach or even cherry trees that far north. I can learn.

Good luck and God bless.good.gif

Right back at ya, Tex!!!! The constant temperature changes are what cracks the bark and allows the bacterial canker to enter. The southern exposure of trees need to to whitewashed to keep them cool throughout the winter, when the sun hits them, the sap starts flowing and the one side of the trees starts thawing. When the sun goes down the sap freezes and expands causing the bark to split. The cherry trees are starting to bloom right now, I can see the blossoms out my window. Later this week, I'm going to see if I can locate some pawpaw seeds, never had luck with them, maybe this year. good.gifgood.gifgood.gif

pawpaw_tree_fruit.jpg

IR5

Timeline

For you, Spooks.

3088174819_c0dd8b4b3d.jpg

Mammoth-Russian-Sunflower.jpg

IR5