johnjohnk83

take photos for wedding before K-1 Visa

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I really would not do that.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi what i want to know is is it okay to take those pictures( which we already took for wedding ceremony and invitation card)

to the interview?

The pictures have us wearing tuxedo and a wedding dress.

NO

If the consulate sees anything that could indicate you are married they can deny the visa. And DO NOT post them on facebook or allow anyone else to do that. Do not refer to weach as "husband and wife" or worse "hubby" or "wifey" (yuck) and do not allow anyone else to do so. There was recently a case here on VJ where the consulate had discovered a couples "wedding" photos just as yours were on Facebook. They denied the visa, claimed visa fraud and applied a lfetime ban to the foreign fiancee for attempted visa fraud. They are now appealing that. Isn't Facebook wonderful?

Many visas have been denied because the happy couple could not wait to refer to each other as "hubby" or "wifey" and included such references in the emails they presented as evidence. Brilliant.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Huh? Is this guy already married and doing a k1 fiance visa? And wants to take wedding photos to the interview?

03/27/12: Petition I-129F sent

03/30/12: USCIS Received petition

04/06/12: NOA1 received in the mail

*** A LOT OF WAITING ***

xx/09/12

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

this type of photo book is common in China - what country were you in when the photos were made?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

then relax - the VOs at Guangzhou IV know this is common, no need to worry about the photo book ..

It's part of the cultural norm there - but this would not work in Kenya, for example...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

NO

If the consulate sees anything that could indicate you are married they can deny the visa. And DO NOT post them on facebook or allow anyone else to do that. Do not refer to weach as "husband and wife" or worse "hubby" or "wifey" (yuck) and do not allow anyone else to do so. There was recently a case here on VJ where the consulate had discovered a couples "wedding" photos just as yours were on Facebook. They denied the visa, claimed visa fraud and applied a lfetime ban to the foreign fiancee for attempted visa fraud. They are now appealing that. Isn't Facebook wonderful?

Many visas have been denied because the happy couple could not wait to refer to each other as "hubby" or "wifey" and included such references in the emails they presented as evidence. Brilliant.

i agree with u about the pictures gives them a reason to deny the visa. but the nickname phrase wifey and hubby isnt really a major problem. my husband and i always prefer to each other like that and in emails and that and didn't had any problem. they thought more it was really cute

Visa Journey:

K1:

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate: Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F Sent: 10-13-2010

I-129F NOA1: 10-18-2010

I-129F NOA2: 04-05-2011

Consulate Received: 04-15-2011

Packet 3 Received: 04-29-2011

Packet 3 Sent: 04-30-2011

Packet 4 Received: 05-07-2011

Interview Date: 06-07-2011

Interview Result: Visa was on hold

Second Interview: Approved

Visa Received: 01-20-2012

ENTRY: 02-12-2012

Married: 03-26-2012

AOS 04-19-2012

Email notification 04-26-2012

NOA1 send : 04-24-2012

Biometric send: 04-27-2012

Biometric appt: 05-18-2012

AOS transfer to CSC: 05-24-2012

EAD/AD approved&send: 06-22-2012

EAD/AD arrived: 06-28-2012

e4nrdek1wws.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

NO

I read that one too... they were from India, where there is large engagement and wedding over several days... I suspect they did actually get married per India law...!!! Just suspicion as i know Indian very well i work with and i think, while there and having celebration they married... as you recall, the facebook page said "Our Wedding" or something of the sort, not our engagement party. ...Just suspicion on that one...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
i agree with u about the pictures gives them a reason to deny the visa. but the nickname phrase wifey and hubby isnt really a major problem. my husband and i always prefer to each other like that and in emails and that and didn't had any problem. they thought more it was really cute
Maybe Germany is one of the few exceptions. Most consulates would take a very dim, if not fatal, view of what you did. For most people, it's probably the stupidest and most reckless thing that they could possibly do -- and it's the most preventable error.

Gary is 99.44% correct (China = the exception, per Darnell). He is also more blunt in his warning than I have been. For others reading here, do NOT (do not! do NOT!) refer to yourselves as husband/wife unless you're actually married!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Gary is 99.44% correct (China = the exception, per Darnell). He is also more blunt in his warning than I have been. For others reading here, do NOT (do not! do NOT!) refer to yourselves as husband/wife unless you're actually married!

It's also common in Vietnam, and I suspect in some other east Asian countries as well. The photo book they're referring to is just a book of pictures taken in romantic locations around town, usually featuring only the 'bride' and 'groom' in tux and gown. There aren't any pictures of an actual wedding ceremony because there was no ceremony.

Some people take these pictures to the consulate, and it's usually not an issue. On the other hand, I doubt the CO gives them any serious consideration. It only takes a relatively small amount of money and only takes an afternoon, and there are shops all over the place that specialize in them. Some of them provide everything, including the photographer, the rented wardrobe, the taxi, and the finished book of photos, and even deliver the book to your hotel later that evening or the next morning, all for one price. Something you can do in an afternoon wouldn't be considered by a CO as strong evidence of the bona fides of a relationship.

My wife and I didn't do the photo book because we both thought it was kind of hokey. What we did instead was we went to the Citadel in Hue city - an old 19th century fortress from the time of the Nguyen dynasty. We put on period clothing and makeup and dressed like 19th century Vietnamese royalty, and had our photos taken in a room next to the main courtyard. The photographer then performed some digital magic, and we received the finished photos - 18 x 12, and fully laminated - delivered to the hotel that evening. They added a complete royal court scene, complete with foot servants and guards. The editing was perfect. We have those photos framed and on our living room wall. We never showed them to the consulate, but they were a lot more fun that the wedding photo book would have been.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.