11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I forget if I ever updated with where things ended up for me and my now husband. This past summer we were all set to come to america. I decided that I'd fly over a couple weeks early from australia- where we had both been living for the past two years. I figured I'd see my fiance in two weeks, after he had his interview he planned to hop on a plane and join me. This all sounds good, right? I mean two weeks was nothing in the grand scheme of things- we had gone months. I got on the plane to america and sat next to an australian who was flying over on a K1 to meet her american fiance to marry (strange, right?). This made the excitement grow. I was so happy for her. Because I knew what a struggle it was. I mean the process isn't great. It's mentally and physically exhausting. If anyone tells you it didn't take a toll on them I'd question them or their relationship. ha. there go my judgements.

Two weeks go by. He flys to sydney. I stay up all night. He doesn't call. He has been there for 3 hours. I try to call him. I start freaking out. But, then he calls and I think oh thank god. it's about time. And, it was late at that time. He told me that he didn't get it. It was the worst feeling in the world. And, then he continued to tell me that they said he should have never been let in america. They said that he came here illegally. I balled my eyes out. I thought the world was over. But, they did give him the ability to appeal the process in thailand. Great. I did some research. Thailand didn't look good. didn't look good at all.

So a little back story. He got in trouble when he was 17. He was arrested. He was tried as an adult. He never went to jail. He served community service. He was now 29. they considered it an act of moral turpitude. They said that he didn't claim this on his other entries. which he did and we had documentation of this.

so here is where things went. I searched for a lawyer. Thankfully, I am lucky and have good resources. I hired one of the bests immigration lawyers in the area who has been a god. So he met with me that week. I was a total mess and he told me that it would be okay. We would get him here whatever it took. He told me not to worry. ah. i breathed a little. and I believed him. I thought, he knew what he was talking about he served on immigration boards. He said that we were okay because he was under 18. the clause said that if he was under 18 and it was more than 5 years ago we were okay. so he said okay- im going to email the australia consulant. He did that. THey refused us again. and then he appealed again. denied. and again and we were denied again. Each time i got more hopeful but, kind of expected the denial. It's like you stop crying because you don't have any energy left. Then my lawyer said, okay. we aren't submitting to thailand. He said it would take too long. it wasn't worth it and that things got bad when you hit thailand. so hmm. where to next. he emailed the head of immigration in washington D.C. He told me that we'd hear back in about 3 months or something like that. im a bit vauge on timing because it's all a blur.

so two weeks go by. Im adjusting to the fact I wont see him for awhile. I buy a plane ticket to go to australia for christmas. And, then we get an email that says please send your passport in to the embassy for further processing. WIthin two days we had a visa. I didn't know what to do. I feared things would get back once he entered the USA- im sure some of you know how bad LA immigration is. terrible. We;ll he did get held up. he was there for several hours- typical. But, he made it!

We got married end of November and are so happy. He's the greatest guy in the world. Im just so happy it worked out. Just wanted to say that some things go wrong but, never give up. I know we arent finished yet and still have a long way to go. But, we are getting there.

Obviously I am updating because Im in the middle of final exams and am trying to avoid doing school work.

Thanks for everyones support along the way.

Lots of love

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Nice story - thanks for sharing!

USCIS

2012 Jan 23: NOA1

2012 May 31: NOA2 (129 days)

NVC

2012 Jun 25: NVC received file from USCIS

2012 Jun 28: NVC assigned case number

2012 Jun 28: DS-3032 e-mailed to NVC

2012 Jul 10: DS-3032 was accepted

2012 Jul 10: AOS fee is Invoiced

2012 Jul 10: AOS fee is Paid

2012 Jul 11: AOS fee status showed Paid in system

2012 Jul 12: AOS package sent to NVC

2012 Jul 20: AOS package accepted

2012 Jul 11: IV fee is Invoiced

2012 Jul 11: IV fee is Paid

2012 Jul 12: IV fee status showed Paid in system

2012 Jul 12: IV packet sent to NVC

2012 Jul 21: CASE COMPLETE at NVC (26 days)

CONSULATE

2012 Aug 03: Received packet 4 / date of interview by e-mail

2012 Sep 10: Medical Exam

2012 Sep 12: INTERVIEW Result: APPROVED!

2012 Sep 17: Received Passport

USA!!!

2012 Sep 23: POE Detroit

2012 Oct 02: SSN Received

2012 Oct 12: Greencard received

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

What a serious journey. Congratulations!

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
What a serious journey. Congratulations!
Ditto, si man!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I forget if I ever updated with where things ended up for me and my now husband. This past summer we were all set to come to america. I decided that I'd fly over a couple weeks early from australia- where we had both been living for the past two years. I figured I'd see my fiance in two weeks, after he had his interview he planned to hop on a plane and join me. This all sounds good, right? I mean two weeks was nothing in the grand scheme of things- we had gone months. I got on the plane to america and sat next to an australian who was flying over on a K1 to meet her american fiance to marry (strange, right?). This made the excitement grow. I was so happy for her. Because I knew what a struggle it was. I mean the process isn't great. It's mentally and physically exhausting. If anyone tells you it didn't take a toll on them I'd question them or their relationship. ha. there go my judgements.

Two weeks go by. He flys to sydney. I stay up all night. He doesn't call. He has been there for 3 hours. I try to call him. I start freaking out. But, then he calls and I think oh thank god. it's about time. And, it was late at that time. He told me that he didn't get it. It was the worst feeling in the world. And, then he continued to tell me that they said he should have never been let in america. They said that he came here illegally. I balled my eyes out. I thought the world was over. But, they did give him the ability to appeal the process in thailand. Great. I did some research. Thailand didn't look good. didn't look good at all.

So a little back story. He got in trouble when he was 17. He was arrested. He was tried as an adult. He never went to jail. He served community service. He was now 29. they considered it an act of moral turpitude. They said that he didn't claim this on his other entries. which he did and we had documentation of this.

so here is where things went. I searched for a lawyer. Thankfully, I am lucky and have good resources. I hired one of the bests immigration lawyers in the area who has been a god. So he met with me that week. I was a total mess and he told me that it would be okay. We would get him here whatever it took. He told me not to worry. ah. i breathed a little. and I believed him. I thought, he knew what he was talking about he served on immigration boards. He said that we were okay because he was under 18. the clause said that if he was under 18 and it was more than 5 years ago we were okay. so he said okay- im going to email the australia consulant. He did that. THey refused us again. and then he appealed again. denied. and again and we were denied again. Each time i got more hopeful but, kind of expected the denial. It's like you stop crying because you don't have any energy left. Then my lawyer said, okay. we aren't submitting to thailand. He said it would take too long. it wasn't worth it and that things got bad when you hit thailand. so hmm. where to next. he emailed the head of immigration in washington D.C. He told me that we'd hear back in about 3 months or something like that. im a bit vauge on timing because it's all a blur.

so two weeks go by. Im adjusting to the fact I wont see him for awhile. I buy a plane ticket to go to australia for christmas. And, then we get an email that says please send your passport in to the embassy for further processing. WIthin two days we had a visa. I didn't know what to do. I feared things would get back once he entered the USA- im sure some of you know how bad LA immigration is. terrible. We;ll he did get held up. he was there for several hours- typical. But, he made it!

We got married end of November and are so happy. He's the greatest guy in the world. Im just so happy it worked out. Just wanted to say that some things go wrong but, never give up. I know we arent finished yet and still have a long way to go. But, we are getting there.

Obviously I am updating because Im in the middle of final exams and am trying to avoid doing school work.

Thanks for everyones support along the way.

Lots of love

You guys were very patient and keep it up!! And I am so HAPPY it worked out for you two:) Have a sweet life together and thank you for sharing. God bless you both.

-Kidist

EVERYTHING IS WITH THE HELP OF GOD. HE NEVER LET US DOWN. HAVE FAITH IN YOUR GOD!!!! I LOVE YOU BABY FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!!

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” - Corinthians

-October 12,2011 Petition sent to CSC
-October 19,2011 NOA1
-Feb.27,2012 NOA2 approval (131 days from NOA1)
-March 7,2012 The Petition Forwarded to Consulates:)
-March 23,2012 Packet 3 and 4 Received.
-April 3,2012 Visa Approved
-April 20,2012 VISA in my Hand.Yey. smile.pngsmile.png
-April 25,2012 My Flight and My POE is JFK
-August 03,2012 AOS filed
-August 28,2012 RFE
-September 05,2012 RFE sent and They received it on Sept.13th
-October 10,2012 EAD approved
-October 18,2012 EAD card in the mail.Yey

-September 6,2013 Green card APPROVED!!!!

So happy for you guys!!! THATS love right there :)

Brandy + Ben = <3
Dating online since June 2009
Met Feb 23rd 2010
Lived together in US on J1 Visa since Sept 28th 2010
Got engaged on Sept 21st 2011 :)
He went back to Australia at the end of his J1 Visa on Sept 22nd 2011 :(

Sent I129 on 10/26/2011
Received: 10/27/2011
NOA1 dated: 10/31/2011
NOA1 received in mail: 11/4/2011

NOA2!!!!! 01/25/2012 in 86 days! :wow:
Married June 4th 2012 <3

Like "I Support Austramerican Relationships" on Facebook!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

- for all others that are entering this process, this is actually good evidence that USCIS/DOS does complete very thorough backgrounds checks on both. So answer ALL questions completely and honestly.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.