Aneel

SENDING ORIGINAL DOCS TO NVC

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I have been reading different guides about sending original documents to NVC as part of AOS packet. It includes sending original marriage certificate, beneficiary's original birth certificate, and so on. My question is when will we get those back?

Also, If a petitioner had been divorced before, shouldn't original of that be included in the AOS packet or no. It only mentions of sending any previous divorce decree of the beneficiary.

Thanks for the help!

casetimeline_Page_1-1.jpg

casetimeline_Page_2-2.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

I have always advocated to NEVER send original anything. I never did and never had a problem. Only copies. If necessary notarized. Originals belong to you. At some point you will need to bring the originals in the event they want to compare to ensure there was no fraud. But unless it is mandatory, do not do it. They can get lost and you may be screwed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

My wife has the original with her overseas. I will have to ask for her to dhl me those and they might get lost. I will just have the copies notarized here of the relevant docs. Also, she can show the originals to the consulate at the time of the interview.

I guess the NVC has country specific requirements so I will just wait fr the actual instructions than relying on these guides.

casetimeline_Page_1-1.jpg

casetimeline_Page_2-2.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I have always advocated to NEVER send original anything. I never did and never had a problem. Only copies. If necessary notarized. Originals belong to you. At some point you will need to bring the originals in the event they want to compare to ensure there was no fraud. But unless it is mandatory, do not do it. They can get lost and you may be screwed.

Agree, the guides speak of sending in copies, NOT originals. The originals should be shown upon request at interview.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

My wife has the original with her overseas. I will have to ask for her to dhl me those and they might get lost. I will just have the copies notarized here of the relevant docs. Also, she can show the originals to the consulate at the time of the interview.

I guess the NVC has country specific requirements so I will just wait fr the actual instructions than relying on these guides.

You can try to contact the consulate for their specific requirements.

As a matter of fact, I did that regarding a K-1 visa question I had. I emailed the GUZ consulate, and got a response within several days.

Edited by A&B

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ok - so - NVC document intake for AOS - the Affadavit of Support, I-864.

It includes sending original marriage certificate, beneficiary's original birth certificate, and so on

These are rarely sent with the I-864 for a spousal visa.

However, on the Immigrant Visa Application document intake with the DS-230, [known as IV]

there's an original documents requirement. It's rather huge, actually. Most people send in the original plus a photocopy, per the instructions up at http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html

Anyone above my post here, that suggested NOT to send them in ? I'm sorry, they are wrong, on original documents - as they either were chasing after a K-1 visa (with no document intake at NVC) or did an Adjustment of Status from another visa type (where copies on submittal and originals on interview day is acceptable)

re: petitioner's divorce documents: PHOTOCOPY with I-130 submittal, ORIGINAL or CERTIFIED COPY on the interview day.

Good Luck, with whatever yer doing.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Agree, the guides speak of sending in copies, NOT originals. The originals should be shown upon request at interview.

Not for NVC document intake for an Immigrant Visa, sorry.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

I got an RFE at the NVC stage after sending in copies at first. I then had to send them originals of my prior divorce decree, my wife's prior divorce decree and our current marriage license and app and they gave us the case closed. Maybe it's consulate specific?

I should also add I called the embassy and they told me that they have the originals and additional copies aren't req'd at the interview tomorrow, since they have them from NVC.

Edited by kytwell

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Guys, OP is following the IR1/CR1 route, NOT the K1! He HAS to send the originals to NVC, it's a MUST, there's no question about it.

Please know the rules for the OP visa type before you answer! If OP follows your advice, he'll get an RFE and delay his case.

And yes, they will give originals back to you at the time of the interview.

Edited by Laure&Colin

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
EMBASSY STAGE
03/27/12: interview - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
12/19/14: received reminder letter from USCIS to file for ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

for oue CR1/IR1 visa we HAD to send originals since its a requirement . we got them back at the time of interview. we also included copies and made another copy for me to take them with me at the time of interview.

• NOA1 - November 2010
  • NOA2- May 2011
  • took a break due to personal reasons and slowed down the process
  • Documents sent to NVC - 30 October 2011
  • *RFE received : missing DS 230{part 2} & a signature of AOS form - November 3,2011
  • Case Complete - Nov 16 2011
  • Interview scheduled - Nov 29,2011
  • Medical Done- DEC 31,2011 (Lahpre wilshire hospital)
  • Interview - Jan 31,2012
  • Result- approved ( thank you Allah)
  • Pasaport in hand with visa Feb 2,2012
  • POE JFK may 12 ,2012
  • Green card in hand may 31 ,2012
  • June 11 ,2012 social security # recieved

Timeline

Mia Cupa. I was referring to the K1 process where the originals are not required.

Me too...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

for oue CR1/IR1 visa we HAD to send originals since its a requirement . we got them back at the time of interview. we also included copies and made another copy for me to take them with me at the time of interview.

Ditto, we walked out of the interview with all our originals, and our just in case copies.

Now I have back a certified copy of my birth certificate... not sure when the next time I need that will be.

I have been reading different guides about sending original documents to NVC as part of AOS packet. It includes sending original marriage certificate, beneficiary's original birth certificate, and so on. My question is when will we get those back?

Also, If a petitioner had been divorced before, shouldn't original of that be included in the AOS packet or no. It only mentions of sending any previous divorce decree of the beneficiary.

Thanks for the help!

based on some friends experiences, the co will going to return all original docs that you submitted to the nvc right after the interview... good luck :thumbs:

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

NVC is not USCIS. Definitely send the originals requested to NVC unless you want to delay the interview until they tell you so themselves, a second time. K1 applicants never send originals. CR1 and IR1 applicants do. If the foreign spouse takes good copies to the interview, they Consular officer will take them and hand the originals back.

In short, if you want a visa for your spouse, you send the original civil documents NVC requires.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.