Aneel

SENDING ORIGINAL DOCS TO NVC

28 posts in this topic

I was confused before and am confused now as to why everyone always says only originals must be sent. The information from the link Darnell provided states originals OR certified copies can be sent to the NVC.

Original Document Requirements

You and each family member immigrating with you to the United States must submit to the NVC original documents issued by an appropriate authority, or certified copies of those documents listed in this section.

Photocopy Requirements

You and each family member immigrating with you must also submit to the NVC a photocopy of the original documents or certified copies of the documents.

I sent to the NVC certified copies, not originals. I got no RFE and I had no other issues or delays in my processing.

~~~~USCIS~~~~
02-12-11 -- Mailed CR1 Petition (USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation)
02-14-11 -- Petition delivered to the Chicago Lockbox
02-16-11 -- NOA1 Text/E-mail
02-22-11 -- I-797C received in the mail
05-24-11 -- NOA2 E-mail (no text, no RFE)
05-28-11 -- I-797C received in the mail

~~~~NVC~~~~
06-07-11 -- Case entered into system
06-08-11 -- Received e-mails with DS-3032 and AOS
06-09-11 -- E-mailed and snail mailed DS-3032 and paid AOS fee
06-10-11 -- AOS status: PAID
06-14-11 -- Mailed AOS package (USPS First-Class Mail)
06-15-11 -- DS-3032 e-mail accepted by NVC and IV bill generated
06-16-11 -- Paid IV bill
06-17-11 -- NVC withdrew money for IV bill from my account
06-23-11 -- IV status: PAID
06-24-11 -- Mailed IV package (USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation)
06-27-11 -- IV package delivered
07-11-11 -- Final Review
07-12-11 -- CASE COMPLETE
08-03-11 -- E-Mail received about interview date
09-12-11 -- INTERVIEW

~~~~Removal of Conditions~~~~

08-02-13 -- ROC window opens

08-05-13 -- Mailed I-751 package (USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation)

08-09-13 -- Package delivered (Delayed at Post Office)
08-12-13 -- NOA1
08-15-13 -- Check cashed
08-24-13 -- Received biometrics letter for September 10
08-26-13 -- Early walk-in for biometrics
09-16-13 -- Received letter stating our case was transferred to CSC on September 12
10-02-13 -- Received text/email update. Case changed from "transferred to Local Office" to "was transferred and now being processed at a USCIS Office"

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I was confused before and am confused now as to why everyone always says only originals must be sent. The information from the link Darnell provided states originals OR certified copies can be sent to the NVC.

You and each family member immigrating with you to the United States must submit to the NVC original documents issued by an appropriate authority, or certified copies of those documents listed in this section.

Photocopy Requirements

You and each family member immigrating with you must also submit to the NVC a photocopy of the original documents or certified copies of the documents.

I sent to the NVC certified copies, not originals. I got no RFE and I had no other issues or delays in my processing.

Original certified copy, not photocopy of certified copy. Some documents, such as birth certificates are only available as "certified copies". I suspect you sent your "original" police certificate and the original DS230. Original and certified copy are equal. Photocopies of originals or photocopies of of certified copies are not accepted by NVC.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

the uscis send copies, the nvc ask for the originals if you don't send the original you may get a RFE, when your case is complete the nvc sends your file to the consulate for your interview,when you go bring copies,and ask the io if you can please exchange the documents for the originals back, they will be needed again for other forms along the way. if you don't get the original documents back then you will need to file the form G-884 return of originals documents,

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Photocopy Requirements

Let's take an example: the police record. You are supposed to send the original police record. You could also send a certified copy of your original police record, but ONLY if it was certified by the same authority which issues the original. In other words, it would basically be just another copy of your original police record... See what I mean?

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
EMBASSY STAGE
03/27/12: interview - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
12/19/14: received reminder letter from USCIS to file for ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I am from same embassy as OP and yes you do have to send originals to nvc . By original I mean original birth certificate, marriage certificate ,translated certified English translation of nikah Nama , original certificate ,every document needed . I will repeat again send originals don't take a risk .even on interview letter there's a check list wihicj says "original recieved " .Embassy always return originals and keep copies but if you are worried you can state in your cover letter that you request them to return originals at the time of interview and keep copies which they are eventually gonnna give them back

Edited by isl2011
  • NOA1 - November 2010
  • NOA2- May 2011
  • took a break due to personal reasons and slowed down the process
  • Documents sent to NVC - 30 October 2011
  • *RFE received : missing DS 230{part 2} & a signature of AOS form - November 3,2011
  • Case Complete - Nov 16 2011
  • Interview scheduled - Nov 29,2011
  • Medical Done- DEC 31,2011 (Lahpre wilshire hospital)
  • Interview - Jan 31,2012
  • Result- approved ( thank you Allah)
  • Pasaport in hand with visa Feb 2,2012
  • POE JFK may 12 ,2012
  • Green card in hand may 31 ,2012
  • June 11 ,2012 social security # recieved

Original certified copy, not photocopy of certified copy. Some documents, such as birth certificates are only available as "certified copies". I suspect you sent your "original" police certificate and the original DS230. Original and certified copy are equal. Photocopies of originals or photocopies of of certified copies are not accepted by NVC.

I thought perhaps people were using "original" to also mean "certified copy", but only the word original was being stressed. Whenever this question came up I had never seen anyone say they are equal until you just said it, so that's what was throwing me off. Thanks for the clarification!

~~~~USCIS~~~~
02-12-11 -- Mailed CR1 Petition (USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation)
02-14-11 -- Petition delivered to the Chicago Lockbox
02-16-11 -- NOA1 Text/E-mail
02-22-11 -- I-797C received in the mail
05-24-11 -- NOA2 E-mail (no text, no RFE)
05-28-11 -- I-797C received in the mail

~~~~NVC~~~~
06-07-11 -- Case entered into system
06-08-11 -- Received e-mails with DS-3032 and AOS
06-09-11 -- E-mailed and snail mailed DS-3032 and paid AOS fee
06-10-11 -- AOS status: PAID
06-14-11 -- Mailed AOS package (USPS First-Class Mail)
06-15-11 -- DS-3032 e-mail accepted by NVC and IV bill generated
06-16-11 -- Paid IV bill
06-17-11 -- NVC withdrew money for IV bill from my account
06-23-11 -- IV status: PAID
06-24-11 -- Mailed IV package (USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation)
06-27-11 -- IV package delivered
07-11-11 -- Final Review
07-12-11 -- CASE COMPLETE
08-03-11 -- E-Mail received about interview date
09-12-11 -- INTERVIEW

~~~~Removal of Conditions~~~~

08-02-13 -- ROC window opens

08-05-13 -- Mailed I-751 package (USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation)

08-09-13 -- Package delivered (Delayed at Post Office)
08-12-13 -- NOA1
08-15-13 -- Check cashed
08-24-13 -- Received biometrics letter for September 10
08-26-13 -- Early walk-in for biometrics
09-16-13 -- Received letter stating our case was transferred to CSC on September 12
10-02-13 -- Received text/email update. Case changed from "transferred to Local Office" to "was transferred and now being processed at a USCIS Office"

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The key is to send the correct type of documents per type of filing as stated. Read the guides, USCIS and NVC.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

There is original and then there is original. Most of the time what they are asking for is a document that is a certified copy by the origination source.

Example, A birth certificate is registered with the county government at the time of birth. The county recorder can issue a certified copy that typically has a raised seal. This is what they want you to send.

It is the same with a marriage certificate. Typically what you have is not the "original". The original is recorded with the government entity. They issue you a certified copy.

It would be vary rare that you have in your possession the true original.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Sorry for the dumb question, I'm new at this... Just want to make sure that we will send all original documents/certified copies to the NVC, then once the application is processed they will send those originals to the consulate (in our case - London) and when my husband goes for his interview he will get them back? Does he have to specifically ask for them during the interview?

09/17/11: Wedding in Vermont

03/14/12: Sent I-130 application from Scotland

USCIS:

03/23/12: Recieved NOA1 email

04/02/12: Received NOA2!! (USC living abroad)

NVC:

04/20/12: NVC received case

05/03/12: Received case number

05/08/12: Emailed DS-3032

05/09/12: AOS invoice paid

05/15/12: IV invoice paid

06/07/12: AOS & IV packages sent to NVC

06/18/12: Received checklist! Boo...

06/20/12: Sent checklist response to NVC (they received it on 06/22)

07/02/12: CASE COMPLETE! Yee haw!

07/12/12: Received interview date

09/24/12: Interview (We changed the orginal date due to scheduling conflict)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Don't plan on getting anything back. That is why you are sending documents certified by the original controlling source. After the interview some of the documents will be put in a sealed packet he will give to the officer at the POE. Even then don't plan on getting them back.

I know it sucks, I paid over $30 for certified copies of my birth certificate, divorce decree,, etc,,,, and they never came back.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

for a CR-1/IR-1 interview, with document intake at NVC - expect most of the civil documents back on interview day.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Sorry for the dumb question, I'm new at this... Just want to make sure that we will send all original documents/certified copies to the NVC, then once the application is processed they will send those originals to the consulate (in our case - London) and when my husband goes for his interview he will get them back? Does he have to specifically ask for them during the interview?

Yes they will give all original back. Usually you don't even have to ask

• NOA1 - November 2010
  • NOA2- May 2011
  • took a break due to personal reasons and slowed down the process
  • Documents sent to NVC - 30 October 2011
  • *RFE received : missing DS 230{part 2} & a signature of AOS form - November 3,2011
  • Case Complete - Nov 16 2011
  • Interview scheduled - Nov 29,2011
  • Medical Done- DEC 31,2011 (Lahpre wilshire hospital)
  • Interview - Jan 31,2012
  • Result- approved ( thank you Allah)
  • Pasaport in hand with visa Feb 2,2012
  • POE JFK may 12 ,2012
  • Green card in hand may 31 ,2012
  • June 11 ,2012 social security # recieved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.