110 posts in this topic

I am new to this forum. my story is quite complicated but please bare with me. i am only twenty three years old, but i have been in love with mu husband since i was 12. we met in 2001. since our relationship has been long distance it has always been on and off. and considering the fact that we were both kids, we never took it seriously.

In 2006 we broke up,and i had just turned 18,i did something extremely stupid, i was so heartbroken, i rebelled and i married his brother who has always has a crush on me. it was a pointless marriage the next day we both regretted it, and never told anyone about it. my husband didnt even know. i tried to get divorce but it was too expensive, so i finally got divorced about two summers later, and the person who had married and divorced us, told us that the marriage wasnt in the marriage books, that it was as if it never existed.

my husband and i became serious around this time and in November 2010 we finally got married. i went back to the person who had married his brother and i and he again repeated to me to not mention my previous marriage that no one would believe it was harmless and it would cause me trouble. and that it was as if it never existed. when i got back to the u.s a couple months later i filed the i 130 petition and the lady who helped me file my papers i told her the story and she recommended also for me to mention my previous marriage.

Our interview was January 23'rd and unfortunately we were denied on this mishap, we were given a white slip, and denied under 212 a 6 c 1

saying we showed false material/not enough evidence. i am extremely heartbroken, and have not stopped crying since. please dont judge me i made a stupid mistake but my marrige is genuine and i need help. we didn't have much pictures which i noticed the officer who interviewed me didnt appreciate, but after that he refused to look at other evidence such as all the times i have gone to our country to be with him, and all the western union receipts, i have been sending my husband money weekly since 2009, since i got my first job. what do i do? i got bad legal advice, has anyone been through this situation what happens to our case. a lawyer told me to collect as much evidence as possible and i am going to start getting a list of all the calls we make to each other throughout the day, and also more photos with his family.

the officer at the consulate never asked me if i had been previous married, because i had the divorce certificate with me just in case, and he asked us a few questions which i know we answered correctly too. he refused to looks at my evidence. he was vey unfair. my husband and i need to be together and my last options is move to the Dominican republic, but my future is here. this is like a nightmare. please no judging or mean comments.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

I am new to this forum. my story is quite complicated but please bare with me. i am only twenty three years old, but i have been in love with mu husband since i was 12. we met in 2001. since our relationship has been long distance it has always been on and off. and considering the fact that we were both kids, we never took it seriously.

In 2006 we broke up,and i had just turned 18,i did something extremely stupid, i was so heartbroken, i rebelled and i married his brother who has always has a crush on me. it was a pointless marriage the next day we both regretted it, and never told anyone about it. my husband didnt even know. i tried to get divorce but it was too expensive, so i finally got divorced about two summers later, and the person who had married and divorced us, told us that the marriage wasnt in the marriage books, that it was as if it never existed.

my husband and i became serious around this time and in November 2010 we finally got married. i went back to the person who had married his brother and i and he again repeated to me to not mention my previous marriage that no one would believe it was harmless and it would cause me trouble. and that it was as if it never existed. when i got back to the u.s a couple months later i filed the i 130 petition and the lady who helped me file my papers i told her the story and she recommended also for me to mention my previous marriage.

Our interview was January 23'rd and unfortunately we were denied on this mishap, we were given a white slip, and denied under 212 a 6 c 1

saying we showed false material/not enough evidence. i am extremely heartbroken, and have not stopped crying since. please dont judge me i made a stupid mistake but my marrige is genuine and i need help. we didn't have much pictures which i noticed the officer who interviewed me didnt appreciate, but after that he refused to look at other evidence such as all the times i have gone to our country to be with him, and all the western union receipts, i have been sending my husband money weekly since 2009, since i got my first job. what do i do? i got bad legal advice, has anyone been through this situation what happens to our case. a lawyer told me to collect as much evidence as possible and i am going to start getting a list of all the calls we make to each other throughout the day, and also more photos with his family.

the officer at the consulate never asked me if i had been previous married, because i had the divorce certificate with me just in case, and he asked us a few questions which i know we answered correctly too. he refused to looks at my evidence. he was vey unfair. my husband and i need to be together and my last options is move to the Dominican republic, but my future is here. this is like a nightmare. please no judging or mean comments.

Your post is a little unclear. On your I-129F, how did you answer regarding a previous marriage?

If the Consulate denied you for a material misrepresentation, then a lifetime ban results with very little chance of appeal and reversal at USCIS. If the Consulate denied and issued an 221(g) for additional evidence of bonafied relationship then there is a chance to submit additional evidence.

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Your post is a little unclear. On your I-129F, how did you answer regarding a previous marriage?

If the Consulate denied you for a material misrepresentation, then a lifetime ban results with very little chance of appeal and reversal at USCIS. If the Consulate denied and issued an 221(g) for additional evidence of bonafied relationship then there is a chance to submit additional evidence.

There's no I129F, it's a spousal visa. OP filled the I130.

Anyway, did the CO say anything about your previous marriage at all? Did you or did you not send your divorce certificate to the USCIS with the original petition?

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
EMBASSY STAGE
03/27/12: interview - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
12/19/14: received reminder letter from USCIS to file for ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

So, you didn't disclose your marriage in the application even though you were advised to do so? Then, you admit you have an issue with a past mistake and you don't submit enough evidence to proof beyond unreasonable doubt your relationship is genuine, even after all these years? To make matters worse, you show western union receipts that you've been sending him, which looks like its a business transaction? On top of that, has your child been petitioned for in this claim?

I'm not judging you, frankly is not like you committed a crime. What I'm questioning you on is your critical thinking. This is a serious process and lying won't get you anywhere; in fact, it'll make you stay away from the US.

Yes, apparently you got bad advise. Hopefully someone that's gone thru the DR embassy can give you better advise on how to overcome this. Who's the USC? Are you in the US right now?

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

wow

You are saying you disclosed it at the interview but your husband didnt know and failed to disclose it on the I130?

i don't get it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Have you reported your Lawyer to the State Bar?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

When you filled out the I-130 petition, did you list your previous husband for Section B, #11? If you did list him did you include a copy of the divorce certificate? You said the lady who helped you file the papers told you to mention your previous marriage, or did you intend to write that she said not to mention the previous marriage?

A quick Google search of 212(a)(6)©(i) returns a number of results. They all point to this denial being due to willful misrepresentation or fraud. I just did a quick read but it sounds like this is tough to beat and you would very likely need a good immigration attorney to even have a chance to get this removed so you can re-apply.

If you didn't list your previous husband on the I-130 petition, the visa was most likely denied for this reason.

If they denied you due to a lack of evidence of a bonafide marriage, they would have given you a 221(g) slip for lack of evidence.

Did this same person who helped you fill out the form sign section F of the I-130 petition? If so you could argue that you gave that person the information about they previous marriage, but that they chose to disclose it.

I'm very sorry for this situation you are in. I would be devastated if I were told that my wife could never be allowed to enter the US to live with me. This is a sober reminder to us that we must always be honest when we fill out these petitions and applications, even if something seems minor or irrelevant.

My advice? Get a good attorney who has a history of overturning these types of denials and be prepared for a long wait. If you can't live apart any longer you should consider moving to a country where you can live together.

06/10/11 - Married

USCIS: (224 days)

07/22/11 - Mailed I-130 petitions for wife and step-daughter

07/28/11 - NOA1 for both

02/21/12 - RFE for both (received hardcopy on 2/25)

02/28/12 - Responded to RFE for both(received by CSC on 2/29)

03/02/12 - NOA2 for both(received hardcopy on 3/8)

NVC: (37 days)

03/12/12 - NVC Received both

03/21/12 - NVC case number and IIN received for both & Emailed Choice of Agent for both

03/23/12 - AOS bill invoiced & paid for both

03/26/12 - AOS bill shows paid & AOS Packets mailed for both

03/27/12 - Choice of Agent accepted for wife (sent another for step-daughter via email and express mail)

03/28/12 - Choice of Agent accepted for step-daughter & IV bill invoiced & paid for wife

03/29/12 - IV bill shows paid for wife & IV bill invoiced & paid for step-daughter

03/30/12 - IV bill shows paid for step-daughter & IV Packets mailed for both

04/04/12 - IV Packets reviewed. Checklist issued for Divorce Decree for my wife. Step-daughter's was accepted and her case closed

04/10/12 - Divorce Decree accepted after supervisor review & wife's case closed

04/16/12 - Expedite requested for both cases due to NVC error

04/18/12 - Expedite request approved for both cases and sent to Santiago Embassy

Embassy: (15 days)

04/24/12 - Embassy received both cases from NVC

04/25/12 - Wife went to Embassy for document review. Interview date assigned for both cases.

04/26/12 - Medical Exam for both. Result - approved.

05/07/12 - Interview date for both. Result - approved!

05/09/12 - Received both Visas

05/16/12 - POE Atlanta

Timeline

She said:

i got bad legal advice,

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

She said:

I don't think she got bad legal advise. The lawyer did suggest for her to disclose her previous marriage. She listened to the wrong person: the one that apparently married them, who should be held accountable for lying to them in the first place. Why would you claim to legally marry someone and then claim it was "off the books"? I hate to say this, but this will be an uphill battle.

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

She also said:

when i got back to the u.s a couple months later i filed the i 130 petition and the lady who helped me file my papers i told her the story and she recommended also for me to mention my previous marriage.

I'm guessing she meant to say she recommended her NOT to mention the previous marriage.

If the person who helped her file the petition signed under section F as the person who prepared the petition there may be a case to be made that the omission was made by the preparer and not the petitioner.

06/10/11 - Married

USCIS: (224 days)

07/22/11 - Mailed I-130 petitions for wife and step-daughter

07/28/11 - NOA1 for both

02/21/12 - RFE for both (received hardcopy on 2/25)

02/28/12 - Responded to RFE for both(received by CSC on 2/29)

03/02/12 - NOA2 for both(received hardcopy on 3/8)

NVC: (37 days)

03/12/12 - NVC Received both

03/21/12 - NVC case number and IIN received for both & Emailed Choice of Agent for both

03/23/12 - AOS bill invoiced & paid for both

03/26/12 - AOS bill shows paid & AOS Packets mailed for both

03/27/12 - Choice of Agent accepted for wife (sent another for step-daughter via email and express mail)

03/28/12 - Choice of Agent accepted for step-daughter & IV bill invoiced & paid for wife

03/29/12 - IV bill shows paid for wife & IV bill invoiced & paid for step-daughter

03/30/12 - IV bill shows paid for step-daughter & IV Packets mailed for both

04/04/12 - IV Packets reviewed. Checklist issued for Divorce Decree for my wife. Step-daughter's was accepted and her case closed

04/10/12 - Divorce Decree accepted after supervisor review & wife's case closed

04/16/12 - Expedite requested for both cases due to NVC error

04/18/12 - Expedite request approved for both cases and sent to Santiago Embassy

Embassy: (15 days)

04/24/12 - Embassy received both cases from NVC

04/25/12 - Wife went to Embassy for document review. Interview date assigned for both cases.

04/26/12 - Medical Exam for both. Result - approved.

05/07/12 - Interview date for both. Result - approved!

05/09/12 - Received both Visas

05/16/12 - POE Atlanta

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It is hard to understand the situation based on the information provided. Independently, considering complexity of the situation I would use a GOOD lawyer. Are you in US? If you are I can recommend you one if you write me privately. The lawyer that I would like to recommend is a very good one. I used her in my case even though I cannot judge how good she is as my case was simple. She is highly regarded and highly recommended.

Timeline

Then what is wrong posting her info?

It's my understanding that 212(a)(6)©(i) only applies to the alien (beneficiary). I believe that you are the petitioner, correct? Unless someone decided that your husband was perpetuating some fraud-like involvement in the original marriage (you to his brother), I'm not sure how that classification would apply to you.

However, I am entirely confused by your situation. I'm not sure if or when you notified about your previous marriage, though it sounds like you did not list on your I-130 (as your I-130 was presumably approved). And I'm not sure how your current marriage bona fides would affect a 212(a)(6)©(i) ruling, so don't know why you mention that part of the visa interview process. I'm also confused by how or why the divorce paperwork even came up in the interview, or how the CO knew about the previous marriage.

I can, unfortunately, see how people would become suspicious of your application if they found out you had previously married your husband's brother. I'll also assume you are a permanent resident, not a USC?

The best advice any of us can give you is to find a good lawyer before this gets any more out of hand.

Edited by TedM

______________________________________________________________________________________________

12/9/11 - Sent I-130 packet

12/12/11 - I-130 delivered

12/14/11 - G-1145 notification

12/15/11 - NOA1

So, you didn't disclose your marriage in the application even though you were advised to do so? Then, you admit you have an issue with a past mistake and you don't submit enough evidence to proof beyond unreasonable doubt your relationship is genuine, even after all these years? To make matters worse, you show western union receipts that you've been sending him, which looks like its a business transaction? On top of that, has your child been petitioned for in this claim?

I'm not judging you, frankly is not like you committed a crime. What I'm questioning you on is your critical thinking. This is a serious process and lying won't get you anywhere; in fact, it'll make you stay away from the US.

Yes, apparently you got bad advise. Hopefully someone that's gone thru the DR embassy can give you better advise on how to overcome this. Who's the USC? Are you in the US right now?

I WAS advised NOT to do so.....by the person who had divorced me and the person who filled my papers....i was advised NOT to.

It's my understanding that 212(a)(6)©(i) only applies to the alien (beneficiary). I believe that you are the petitioner, correct? Unless someone decided that your husband was perpetuating some fraud-like involvement in the original marriage (you to his brother), I'm not sure how that classification would apply to you.

However, I am entirely confused by your situation. I'm not sure if or when you notified about your previous marriage, though it sounds like you did not list on your I-130 (as your I-130 was presumably approved). And I'm not sure how your current marriage bona fides would affect a 212(a)(6)©(i) ruling, so don't know why you mention that part of the visa interview process. I'm also confused by how or why the divorce paperwork even came up in the interview, or how the CO knew about the previous marriage.

I can, unfortunately, see how people would become suspicious of your application if they found out you had previously married your husband's brother. I'll also assume you are a permanent resident, not a USC?

The best advice any of us can give you is to find a good lawyer before this gets any more out of hand.

i am a u.s born citizen. and the co never asked me about the previous marriage, but i assume that is why we were both denied, yes technically its my husband who is denied, but its both of us really, because i need him here with me.

and as for marrying his brother a stupid horrible mistake, that i will always live with, but i never petioned for himto come here the marrige was not even a real marrige it was a stupid mistake

It is hard to understand the situation based on the information provided. Independently, considering complexity of the situation I would use a GOOD lawyer. Are you in US? If you are I can recommend you one if you write me privately. The lawyer that I would like to recommend is a very good one. I used her in my case even though I cannot judge how good she is as my case was simple. She is highly regarded and highly recommended.

write me privately tell me plz i need help

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.