Dan70

Confused about K-1

16 posts in this topic

I just started filling the form I-129F for my fiance. But I don't understand what is K-1 fiances visa is. Is this different form I-129 that am filling or does this come after I fill I-129 please respond am a bit confused. And thanks in advance.

This is from the VJWiki page, about K-1 visas.

U.S. citizens who will be getting married to a foreign national in the United States may petition for a fiancé(e) classification (K-1) for their fiancé(e). You and your fiancé(e) must be free to marry. This means that both of you are unmarried, or that any previous marriages have ended through divorce, annulment or death. You must also have met with your fiancé(e) in person within the last two years prior beginning the K-1 Visa petition process (filing the I-129F). This requirement can be waived only if meeting the non US Citizen's fiancé(e) in person would violate long-established customs, or if it would create extreme hardship on the US Citizen.

Do some searching on this site and you will find many of the answers for you questions.

Our time line:

-----------

11-2-09 Met for the first time

11-3-09 Went to dinner to celebrate my birthday

11-18-09 Officially became bf/gf.

11-22-09 Went back to the States

1-1-10 Talked to her father on the phone queried about my intentions. Told him I intended to marry her.

10-8-10 2nd Trip back to Philippines

10-10-10 Proposed to her ... She said YES!

10-16-10 Meet her parents and family in the province for the first time

10-25-10 Returned to States

11-2010 Started her annulment process

1-4-11 Free to marry within the country

2-8-11 3rd trip to Philippines

2-10-11 Annulment process complete (can file for US visas now)

4-27-11 Got Married

5-30-11 Finally received marriage contract from priest

6-4-11 Discovered we needed to get an electronic endorsement of our marriage contract submitted

6-22-11 Finally got updated CENOMAR to show annulment of previous marriage

7-29-11 Finally had to say good bye and leave the Philippines after 6 months

8-18-11 Submitted CR-1 pkg to visa service agency

9-9-11 After a thorough review and obtaining additional docs, finally mailed our pkg to USCIS.

9-12-11 NOA1 received

3-14-12 USCIS approved our I-130

3-17-12 NOA2 received

NVC:

3-19-12 Package acknowledged by NVC.

4-3-12 NVC enters our package into their system and generates our case#

4-4-12 AOS pmt made

Manila Embassy

4-9-12 Petition US Embassy Manila to expedite since I will be in country

5-23-12 Interview at US Embassy - approved

5-31-12 Visa in Hand

6-6-12 Len Arrives!!!!! in the US via Chicago to Houston

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just started filling the form I-129F for my fiance. But I don't understand what is K-1 fiances visa is. Is this different form I-129 that am filling or does this come after I fill I-129 please respond am a bit confused. And thanks in advance.

Yes, You are highly confused. Not to worry, so was I.

The 129-F is the Initial Petition for your Fiance (Thus, you are applying for a K-1 Visa) They are the same. But, you must File your 129-F and paperwork for the Petition and the result would be a K-1 Visa approved.

I would ask as many questions you need here. Based on the question: If I gave you a gun and told you to hit that Barn. And you missed. I would tell to you, get help or ask questions.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Thank you all those answeres were helpful and special thanks to Tim/mav. Another question about the I-129 do i have to include a letter saying how I met my fiance and history of our conversation or does that come later. The reason I asked is Tim/Mav provided a link and in it it says a cover letter for I-129 saying how you met your fiance but on the instruction and the form it doesn't say provide a cover letter. I hope all those questions are not dumb but am still a bit confused. Thanks all.

Edited by Dan70

Timeline

Thank you all those answeres were helpful and special thanks to Tim/mav. Another question about the I-129 do i have to include a letter saying how I met my fiance and history of our conversation or does that come later. The reason I asked is Tim/Mav provided a link and in it it says a cover letter for I-129 saying how you met your fiance but on the instruction and the form it doesn't say provide a cover letter. I hope all those questions are not dumb but am still a bit confused. Thanks all.

See "Cover Letter" in the Link I sent you. Read all of that Link as well.

The very first page of your Application/Petition is a Cover Letter.

Did you Meet on Facebook, Myspace, etc. How long you known eachother, how regular you talk (Skype, Yahoo) Send a few pages of proof with the petition. Thats all included in the Links.

Some VJ Guildlines are inaccurate but for the most part enough.

Just say we are in Love and wish to marry.

Edited by Tim/Mav

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

See "Cover Letter" in the Link I sent you. Read all of that Link as well.

The very first page of your Application/Petition is a Cover Letter.

Did you Meet on Facebook, Myspace, etc. How long you known eachother, how regular you talk (Skype, Yahoo) Send a few pages of proof with the petition. Thats all included in the Links.

Some VJ Guildlines are inaccurate but for the most part enough.

Just say we are in Love and wish to marry.

Thank you so much Tim/Mav. I now have the basic understanding. I will be asking more question as I go along. Thanks again.

Timeline

This is from the VJWiki page, about K-1 visas.

U.S. citizens who will be getting married to a foreign national in the United States may petition for a fiancé(e) classification (K-1) for their fiancé(e). You and your fiancé(e) must be free to marry. This means that both of you are unmarried, or that any previous marriages have ended through divorce, annulment or death. You must also have met with your fiancé(e) in person within the last two years prior beginning the K-1 Visa petition process (filing the I-129F). This requirement can be waived only if meeting the non US Citizen's fiancé(e) in person would violate long-established customs, or if it would create extreme hardship on the US Citizen.

Do some searching on this site and you will find many of the answers for you questions.

Though a good thought. It really does not apply to the OP's question. However, it is a true post by the Member. The Petioner should be aware of this "I would Think". The OP is just starting the Journey and that as we know "SUCKS"!

I would like Dan to read this and see if he feels he can Qualify/Surpass these basic requirements.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Just thought I'd add...I always double checked on the official USCIS webpage as a lot of great information was there as well, minus any opinions :)

Here's the USCIS link for fiancee visa:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=640a3e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=640a3e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

ycw8y74j68j.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

I-129F is a petition for K-1 visa. By filing the petition you are basically asking the government to allow your fiancee to apply for a visa.

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The 129-F is the Initial Petition for your Fiance (Thus, you are applying for a K-1 Visa) They are the same. But, you must File your 129-F and paperwork for the Petition and the result would be a K-1 Visa approved.

This is not accurate. The I-129F is the petition that the USC must file with the USCIS in order for their fiance(e) to be able to apply for a K-1 visa at the consulate in their country. It is NOT a visa application, and it being approved does NOT mean an approved K-1 visa.

To the OP> The I-129F petition is all about showing that both of you are free to marry and that you have been together in person at least once in the 2 years prior to filing. If you meet those conditions, you will most likely have your petition approved. An approved petition will be forwarded to the consulate that deals with K-1 visas in your fiance(e)'s country. The approved petition allows your fiance(e) to apply for a visa there. The consulate will decide if the K-1 visa is approved or not at the time your fiance(e) has an interview there. First, deal with the petition stage. This will take you a few months. Read through all the guides here to get a better understanding of how the process works and what will be needed at each stage. The guides are good, but always be sure and read through the instructions for each form as well. All updated forms and instructions can be found here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Please, read conscientiously the K-1 visa descrition: http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare#k1

the (wonderful) VJ guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide with tips: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1tips

and the official USCIS instructions for the I-129F form: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

That will answer all your basic questions. :thumbs:

I know it's a lot of informations, but it's essential to read them if you want to have a smooth process.

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

SIMPLE

I129 IS A SOME TYPE OF WORKER VISA

I129F IS THE FIANCE VISA K1 VISA NOT YET MARRIED OR CAN APPLIED IF MARRIED

THE THING WITH THE K1 VISA IS THAT EVERYTHING IS MUCH FASTER AND QUICKER.

BUT YET MORE EXPENSIVE, FIANCE SHOULD BE IN THE USA LESS THAN 6-8 MONTHS.

AFTER THIS YOU WILL NEED TO APPLIED FOR I186 AOS FORM.

I130 IS FOR THOSE WHO ARE MARRIED AND BRINGING THEIR WIFE OR HUSBAND. THIS IS A PROCESS ABOUT A YEAR OR SO.

I BELEIVE ANY OF THESE FORM YOU CAN APPLY YOUR SELF WITHOUT A NEED OF A LAWYER BUT IT CAN BE A PAIN IN THE BUTT. THERES A LOT OF FORIEGN FORMS TO BE TRANSLATED AND MANY DOCUMENTATION YOU HAVE TO HAVE IN HAND WHEN FILLING THE FORMS.

SO GOOD LUCK

I-129F Petition for Fiance Visa Time line:

7/11/2011 Form I-129 was sent through U.S Postal Services

7/14/2011 Form was recieved

7/15/2011 Notice Date

7/18/2011 $350.00 Check was cashed

10/11/2011 Petition Approved

10/28/11 Petition Forward to NVC

12/5/2011 Visa Packet Recieved

12/6/2011 Started to get all my documents

1/23/2012 All paper work was foward to my fiance

1/24/2012 Interview at telgucigualpa, Honduras

1/24/2012 Need to resend require doucements

Currently I am in process of resubmitting my new documents and my co sponsor for I-134. I will include all ORIGNAL DOCUMENTS!

1/29/2012 Fedex and resubmitted documents should arrive 2/1/2012

Wish me alot of luck!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My suggestion is for you and your fiancée to read the VJ information, USCIS web site and other stuff. The more you know the easier it will be. Don't make the mistake other have here by relying on everyone else with out your direct knowledge also. Good Luck, ask away.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

SIMPLE

I129 IS A SOME TYPE OF WORKER VISA

I129F IS THE FIANCE VISA K1 VISA NOT YET MARRIED OR CAN APPLIED IF MARRIED

THE THING WITH THE K1 VISA IS THAT EVERYTHING IS MUCH FASTER AND QUICKER.

BUT YET MORE EXPENSIVE, FIANCE SHOULD BE IN THE USA LESS THAN 6-8 MONTHS.

AFTER THIS YOU WILL NEED TO APPLIED FOR I186 AOS FORM.

I130 IS FOR THOSE WHO ARE MARRIED AND BRINGING THEIR WIFE OR HUSBAND. THIS IS A PROCESS ABOUT A YEAR OR SO.

I BELEIVE ANY OF THESE FORM YOU CAN APPLY YOUR SELF WITHOUT A NEED OF A LAWYER BUT IT CAN BE A PAIN IN THE BUTT. THERES A LOT OF FORIEGN FORMS TO BE TRANSLATED AND MANY DOCUMENTATION YOU HAVE TO HAVE IN HAND WHEN FILLING THE FORMS.

SO GOOD LUCK

Don't SHOUT! We can hear your clear across the state.... :lol:

CAPS is shouting.

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.