Bad_Daddy

Why Facebook is making people unhappy

15 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/feeling-sad-facebook-could-cause-180318638--abc-news.html

Facebook: Friends' Happy Pictures Make You Sad?

By Matthew Rosenbaum | ABC News – 15 hrs ago

There are plenty of reasons to feel down in today's fast-paced, hectic world, and you wouldn't think that the world's most popular social networking site would be one of them. But that's exactly what a new study by Utah Valley University has found.

According to the study, Facebook is making us sad. Why? It's all about the kinds of pictures people to post on their pages.

Facebook photos generally depict smiling, cheerful people having good times, conveying a sense of happiness. Of course everyone likes to smile for the camera, so that good cheer may be inflated or false. As others view the photos, they may believe this conveyed sense of intense happiness is real, making them think that their friends are much happier than they are.

Sociologists Hui-Tzu Grace Chou and Nicholas Edge said they interviewed 425 students, asking them whether they agreed or disagreed with such statements as "Many of my friends have a better life than me," and "Life is fair."

They also asked about the students' Facebook usage, including how many "friends" they had on the site, and how many of those friends were really people they knew.

After controlling for race, gender, religious beliefs and whether the volunteers were unattached or in a relationship, the researchers saw a pattern: The more time students spent on Facebook, the more they thought others had it better than they did.

"Those who have used Facebook longer agreed more that others were happier, and agreed less that life is fair, and those spending more time on Facebook each week agreed more that others were happier and had better lives," wrote Chou and Edge. "Furthermore, those that included more people whom they did not personally know as their Facebook "friends" agreed more that others had better lives."

The study, which was published in the journal Cyberpsychology, Behavior and Social Networking, also found that people who spent less time socializing with friends in cyberspace and more time socializing with them in real life were less likely to report they were unhappy.

So if you are looking for a way to cheer yourself up, the researchers say you may do well to log off Facebook. Call your best friend instead.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I am happy. I do not use Facebook. It would appear that it has no affect on my happiness. If anyone allows Facebook to affect their happiness they need serious help

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

G+ FTW!

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

G+ FTW!

I have Google+ but I haven't played with it enough to get all the ins and outs of it. It was difficult enough getting the older folks in the family to sign up on Myspace back in the day, and then we had to talk them into switching to Facebook. I'm afraid of what it would be like now to talk them into switching one more time. :unsure:

I do like the using the Picasa photo album on Google+. Picasa has to be about the best free photo program out there. Iv'e used it for years now and it just keeps getting better with each and every update.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

I'm not on Facebook and I don't have any friends. I hate people.

That's what happens when your a Pats fan. Don't worry it could be worse, you could be a Steelers fan. People spit on them.

sigbet.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I rarely use facebook :)

Met online : 2009
Married : 07/28/2010

USCIS
Send I-130 : 06/08/2011
Touched : 06/13/2011
got a NOA1 by e-mail and SMS : 06/15/2011
got "I-797C" hard copy of NOA1 : 06/20/2011
got RFE "I-797E" : 10/15/2011
RFE Reply : 12/15/2011
Touched : 12/16/2011
I-130 Approved : 12/20/2011
got "I-797" hard copy of NOA2 : 12/24/2011
Your I-130 was approved in 183 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC
NVC Case Number : 01/13/2012
Pay "$88" AOS Bill and e-mailed DS-3032 : 02/08/2012
Email from NVC, DS-3032 Accepted : 02/09/2012
AOS Fee Shows PAID : 02/09/2012
IV fee invoiced "$404" : 02/10/2012
IV fee invoiced "$230" : 04/18/2012
Pay "$230" IV Bill : 04/30/2012
IV Fee Shows PAID : 05/02/2012
Send AOS and IV packet : 06/09/2012
AOS and IV packet Received : 06/22/2012
Case completed at NVC : 06/29/2012

Interview Date : 08/28/2012 "Denied"

Case Reaffirmed : 07/16/2013

Second interview - Approved : 10/24/2013

Visa Issued : 10/29/2013

Visa in hand : 10/31/2013

For more details please visit my timeline

485.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I use Facebook, I like keeping in touch with our friends & family in Peru, and all over the U.S./world. It's pretty cool.

However, it's common knowledge that some people go out of their way on Facebook to either: brag about how awesome their life is or complain about how sucky it is. It's all a ploy for attention.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I use Facebook too. I was a freshman in 2005 and it was the cool thing to do in college. However, now with the inclusion of aunties and grandmothers, it has become hideous. I prefer to use my blog or twitter.

I will agree with Susita's assessment. It's one extreme or the other. Either they are posting pictures of their new car/house/baby/vacation or complaining about being on unemployment.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I will agree with Susita's assessment. It's one extreme or the other. Either they are posting pictures of their new car/house/baby/vacation or complaining about being on unemployment.

My babies are pretty cute though :star: It's mostly for my extended family, friends who live far away, my in-laws and everybody in Peru, though. Sure beats printing pictures and mailing them. It's cheaper too!

Skype is also the coolest thing ever invented. My 2-year old got to chit chat in jibberish babytalk with her abuela over the weekend. :thumbs:

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

My babies are pretty cute though :star: It's mostly for my extended family, friends who live far away, my in-laws and everybody in Peru, though. Sure beats printing pictures and mailing them. It's cheaper too!

Skype is also the coolest thing ever invented. My 2-year old got to chit chat in jibberish babytalk with her abuela over the weekend. :thumbs:

+1 for the picture thing. Like you pointed out....instead of having to print and mail those suckers like back in the day, now you can just post them and have relatives grab them off the net.

sigbet.jpg

Yes! Even family members who usually aren't online (grandparents) get to see the photos thanks to aunts and uncles and cousins passing them on.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If happiness depends on FB then prepare to be unhappy. Happiness is from within you and not something external. Selfish people are usually not happy. Happiness comes from giving of oneself in various ways.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12