scotinmass

How much weight have you put on since moving to America?

189 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Is everyone having the same problem as me eating way too much? The food here is just too good and the portion sizes are enough to feed a whole family. On top of that my wife makes some really delicious meals and the best apple pie in America.

I've managed to put on 40lbs in less than 2 years! :crying:

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

Is everyone having the same problem as me eating way too much? The food here is just too good and the portion sizes are enough to feed a whole family. On top of that my wife makes some really delicious meals and the best apple pie in America.

Haha, this is a great question. Has anyone gone to America and NOT gained weight!?!

I would disagree with the food being 'too good' though. I personally don't think the food is of a great standard. In fact, if anything, it's poor quality! Especially the meat.

Portion sizes are the problem. No need for anybody to eat a 20 oz. steak! Also, steaks in the EU and in most other places don't some that size. The reason being the growth hormones that are fed to cattle and poultry in the US.

Growth Hormones are banned in the EU and nearly everywhere else in the world.

Food is much cheaper in America, too. Again, down to the low grade of the food I would think.

http://www.bsas.org.uk/about_the_bsas/issue_papers/hormone_growth_promoters_in_cattle/

K-1 Visa Journey
08/05/2011 I-129F sent
08/09/2011 I-129F recieved and signed for by C.Viella @ Lewisville, TX
08/11/2011 NOA1 email recieved
08/12/2011 Cheque cashed by USCIS
08/16/2011 NOA1 Hard Copy recieved
12/05/2011 NOA2 Email recieved: Approved
12/09/2011 NOA2 Hard Copy recieved: Approved
01/10/2012 Medical
01/24/2012 NVC received File
01/26/2012 NVC transferred to Embassy
02/06/2012 Embassy Received
02/08/2012 Packet 3 Received
02/16/2012 Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
02/17/2012 Embassy Received
03/01/2012 Packet 4 Received
03/13/2012 Interview Date: APPROVED
04/05/2012 POE: Dublin, Ireland

Your I-129f was approved in 116 days from your NOA1 date.
Your interview took 215 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

04/25/2012 AOS sent
04/30/2012 AOS Received and signed for by CHYBA @ Chicago, IL
05/03/2012 Cheque cashed by USCIS
05/04/2012 Biometrics letter sent
05/29/2012 I-485 transferred to CSC
06/01/2012 Biometrics appointment
07/06/2012 EAD+AP Card Production (68 days)
07/14/2012 EAD+AP Card Received

04/18/2013 Filed for EAD+AP renewal
04/19/2013 Contacted Congressman
04/19/2013 RFE for form I-693
05/06/2013 RFE response under review
05/21/2013 AOS APPROVED!
05/25/2013 Green Card IN HAND!

Your AOS was approved in 392 days from your send-date.

I spent 3 months last winter in the Netherlands and between the portion sizes and all the walking, I lost about 20 lbs.

Of course I gained it right back after being home in the States over the past year.

My husband, Arnold, on the other hand, has gained about 30 lbs. after living here for a little less than a year now. He likes it though, because he insists he was too skinny to begin with. My family agrees that he'll be a "fat American" in no time! :blush:

His dad visited last summer, LOVED the food, and was thrilled to tell everyone that he gained about 8 lbs. in the month of his visit. He was also thrilled to be able to buy Levi jeans at an outlet store for $20 a pair when he needed to go a size up. :P

AOS from Marriage on B2 ~ Full & Detailed Timeline in My Profile

• Married in Las Vegas - 5.11.11
  • Greencard received - 11.18.11
  • Removing of Conditions - package mailed 10.9.13
  • Greencard received - 1.23.14
  • Naturalization - package mailed 4.26.16
  • Oath ceremony - 3.28.17
  • Petition Alien Relative (Father Abroad) - package mailed 7.14.17
  • Check cashed - 7.21.17
  • NOA1 (I-797C receipt dated 7.18) received - 7.27.17
  • NOA2 (approval, dated 1.31) received - 2.5.18

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Lol. I'm more like 10-20lbs but it's not because the food is good. It's because the food is fatty and kinda gross. It was hard to find good food so a lot of the food I *had* to eat, that I COULD eat was not good for me. Bread is awful. Cheese is awful. Beef mince is flavourless and fatty... While we were closing on our house we were staying with friends/family so we didn't eat very well (quick meals to get our from under their feet). Since we have our own house now I've still gotta shift that extra weight but my health is totally fine (sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure etc) which is all that REALLY matters... right? lol

You should ship some apply pie here for me to try though :P... I miss good apple pie. A lot of the ones I find here have too much cinnamon so I'll have to start making my own... and eat it with some custard :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Haha, this is a great question. Has anyone gone to America and NOT gained weight!?!

I would disagree with the food being 'too good' though. I personally don't think the food is of a great standard. In fact, if anything, it's poor quality! Especially the meat.

Portion sizes are the problem. No need for anybody to eat a 20 oz. steak! Also, steaks in the EU and in most other places don't some that size. The reason being the growth hormones that are fed to cattle and poultry in the US.

Food is much cheaper in America, too. Again, down to the low grade of the food I would think.

http://www.bsas.org.uk/about_the_bsas/issue_papers/hormone_growth_promoters_in_cattle/

I've heard a lot of people saying the food is much cheaper in America. In Massachusetts it's way more expensive than the UK. I can spend $200 in a supermarket on the same amount that would cost £50 in the UK. I would agree the quality of meat isn't as good but we have an abundance of excellent restaurants in the Boston area that can more than make up for that with the other ingredients they use.

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I stay at home all day and could pig out all day on snacks but I'm strict with myself and literally find myself telling myself off if I go to the cupboard lol (crazy lady) and as a result I've only put on the weight I lost for the wedding which is no more than 7 lbs which doesn't bother me too much because I still fit in my dress (with a bit of breathing in lol). Just try being strict on yourself and writing everything down that you eat in a day - once you see the amount you'll know what you can cut out.

As for food here being great I think NOT - we hardly go out to eat because the food here is that s**t - full of fats and oils. I cook most night and my hubby prefers my food which is nice of him :). We hate chain restaurants aswel, they tend to be the worst for processed and fatty foods (in my opinion) - you could try looking for new independently owned restaurants I personally find them better because they tend to make the food a bit more fresh.

When you're in a restaurant ask for a separate plate and put smaller bits off the main plate onto it and when your full put a chewing gum in your mouth that might stop you picking at the food when you're full.

Just a few things that might help.

Lol. I'm more like 10-20lbs but it's not because the food is good. It's because the food is fatty and kinda gross. It was hard to find good food so a lot of the food I *had* to eat, that I COULD eat was not good for me. Bread is awful. Cheese is awful. Beef mince is flavourless and fatty... While we were closing on our house we were staying with friends/family so we didn't eat very well (quick meals to get our from under their feet). Since we have our own house now I've still gotta shift that extra weight but my health is totally fine (sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure etc) which is all that REALLY matters... right? lol

You should ship some apply pie here for me to try though :P... I miss good apple pie. A lot of the ones I find here have too much cinnamon so I'll have to start making my own... and eat it with some custard :)

Where are you eating that is fatty and gross? We do not go to fast food places and we try to avoid chain restaurants with a couple exceptions. He likes the 99 and we both like the Cheesecake factory but we really only go there for special occassion or to take visitors from the UK. We are fortunate (or unfortunate depending on how you view it since we are dieting)to live in an area where there are literally hundreds of decent dining options within a short drive or train ride from home. for example the North end section of Boston alone has dozens of amazing Italian restaurants, bakeries and gelato shops within a short walk from the train. When we go to Maine our options are much more limited We do eat at home most nights and we take take turns cooking. David makes a really good Shepherd's pie, roast beef and mashed potatoes. Pretty much everything else he "cooked" in Scotland consisted of a sauce poured over sauted chicken, mince or Quorn and served with rice. I try to make a lot of different dishes and we try new places on weekends and vacations. We visited my daughter and we tried a Cuban restaurant in Florida. I went home and tried to make the yummy chicken riojana dish we had there and came up with a reasonable facimile.(btw if anyone actually has the recipe I'd love it!) When I bake I use Splenda in place of sugar. It tastes the same and takes the guilt out of it. We have it with sugar free ice cream. You can get decent bread at most bakeries or try Country Kitchen brand or bake your own. We get Hoffman's sliced cheddar for sandwiches and we get Vermont Cheddar cheese for snacking and Mac n cheese. Mince is always flavourless. we use Oxocubes in it for shepard's pie and I mix it with garlic,Progresso crumbs and parmesan and spices for meatballs. I suppose what you think of the food is going to vary by what part of the country you live. The only decent meals we ever had in the Uk were a couple in a restaurant in Pitlochry in Scotland and a few in the Audley pub in London. I think the only thing I really ever thought was good over there was the roast beef and yorkshire pudding! That is the one thing i cannot master! I have made a batch of truly awful that were the consistency of a muffin and another batch of little hockey pucks!

I stay at home all day and could pig out all day on snacks but I'm strict with myself and literally find myself telling myself off if I go to the cupboard lol (crazy lady) and as a result I've only put on the weight I lost for the wedding which is no more than 7 lbs which doesn't bother me too much because I still fit in my dress (with a bit of breathing in lol). Just try being strict on yourself and writing everything down that you eat in a day - once you see the amount you'll know what you can cut out.

As for food here being great I think NOT - we hardly go out to eat because the food here is that s**t - full of fats and oils. I cook most night and my hubby prefers my food which is nice of him :). We hate chain restaurants aswel, they tend to be the worst for processed and fatty foods (in my opinion) - you could try looking for new independently owned restaurants I personally find them better because they tend to make the food a bit more fresh.

When you're in a restaurant ask for a separate plate and put smaller bits off the main plate onto it and when your full put a chewing gum in your mouth that might stop you picking at the food when you're full.

Just a few things that might help.

My hubby wasn't really looking for help with dieting. He really does love the food here and was thinking maybe everyone else felt the same. I've gotta say I am surprised to hear other Brits saying it is not better here since the food (excet for stuff we bought and prepared) was on the whole very bland and mainly seemed to include a serving of something fried and chips (the ones we call steak fries) and there is no place to get a decent breakfast or an iced coffee. :o

Timeline

My hubby wasn't really looking for help with dieting. He really does love the food here and was thinking maybe everyone else felt the same. I've gotta say I am surprised to hear other Brits saying it is not better here since the food (excet for stuff we bought and prepared) was on the whole very bland and mainly seemed to include a serving of something fried and chips (the ones we call steak fries) and there is no place to get a decent breakfast or an iced coffee. :o

Define 'Decent breakfast'.....

'Cause if it includes; pancakes (drenched in syrup to hide their rankness), 'bacon' (fatty, stringy, shite), and scrambled (destroyed) eggs, that one can get in I-Hop... then your definition of a 'decent breakfast' is warped.

Also, Iced coffee... I disagree with it.

K-1 Visa Journey
08/05/2011 I-129F sent
01/10/2012 Medical

04/25/2012 AOS sent

05/21/2013 AOS APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Without meaning to sound too rude (genuine here I'm not 'miss attitude'), he's 40 lbs overweight, there are health implications from this - I know you were asking for diet tips I was forwarding advise based on health concerns.

My mother-in-law put on 50 lbs when they moved here from South Africa in 1996, and in 2009 she'd had enough she shed that weight and more and looks AMAZING and she feels so much healthier aswel.

And nothing in the world beat an English fried breakfast with a good cuppa lol :)

My hubby does say the food is bland sometimes so he 'ruins' it by adding sauces lol - I supposed its what you're used to at the end of the day.

Edited by xxxwabbiexxx

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Totally agree!

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

Define 'Decent breakfast'.....

'Cause if it includes; pancakes (drenched in syrup to hide their rankness), 'bacon' (fatty, stringy, shite), and scrambled (destroyed) eggs, that one can get in I-Hop... then your definition of a 'decent breakfast' is warped.

Also, Iced coffee... I disagree with it.

I've never eaten in Ireland except at the airport on my way to Edinburgh so I can't really compare. In Scotland we got a traditional fry up at a grocery store because it was the only place serving breakfast before pubs opened. We had a breakfast once at the Loch Rannoch Inn too but it was nothing special. I hate that you have no choice in how you get your eggs cooked. You get them sunny side up and usually served cold with some bacon, way too much sausage,beans(which I actually liked)and toast. To me a decent breakfast is a nice slice of ham or steak, eggs over medium, home made toast not fried bread and home fries.

You don't need to have iced coffee but I doubt I am the only person who craces it once in a while. Don't get me wrong. I love tea as well but I could get that when I wanted it. I was mentioning what I could not get over there.

Timeline

Without meaning to sound too rude (genuine here I'm not 'miss attitude'), he's 40 lbs overweight, there are health implications from this - I know you were asking for diet tips I was forwarding advise based on health concerns.

My mother-in-law put on 50 lbs when they moved here from South Africa in 1996, and in 2009 she'd had enough she shed that weight and more and looks AMAZING and she feels so much healthier aswel.

And nothing in the world beat an English fried breakfast with a good cuppa lol :)

My hubby does say the food is bland sometimes so he 'ruins' it by adding sauces lol - I supposed its what you're used to at the end of the day.

I think you'll find nothing beats an IRISH fried breakfast with a cup of tea! ;):D:dance:

K-1 Visa Journey
08/05/2011 I-129F sent
01/10/2012 Medical

04/25/2012 AOS sent

05/21/2013 AOS APPROVED!

His entire post was meant to be a bit of fun not the opening for a lecture. btw no one is ever gonna say an English fried breakfast is a healthy alternative. lol

I think you'll find nothing beats an IRISH fried breakfast with a cup of tea! ;):D:dance:

What is in an Irish breakfast? I know some pubs in Boston say they have it but the idea of breakfast in a bar seems well, wierd.lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.