Jeff and Emily

More Baloney

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have read a few times that when your fiancee' arrives in the U.S., you are to get her a Social Security card ASAP and not even wait a few weeks until you are married. Why? Why the urgency??? Also we have run into this problem with the Manila airport. For some foul reason, these fools need to know WHO paid for the plane ticket. WHY do they care WHO paid for the ticket? What and WHY do they need to know? Answers???

Jeff and Emily

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I have read a few times that when your fiancee' arrives in the U.S., you are to get her a Social Security card ASAP and not even wait a few weeks until you are married. Why? Why the urgency??? Also we have run into this problem with the Manila airport. For some foul reason, these fools need to know WHO paid for the plane ticket. WHY do they care WHO paid for the ticket? What and WHY do they need to know? Answers???

Some states require you to have an SSN to get a marriage license. Actually you should wait a couple of weeks to go to the SSA, if you go to soon there is a good chance her name and information won't be in the SAVE system. She'll need an SSN for her AOS and AP/EAD. I think we waited about 3 weeks. No urgency.

No idea about the about the airfare.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

They need to make sure that the ticket is being paid for by authorized funds. If you paid for the ticket ( USC) you may need to go to a local airport that has the same airlines or a partner airline and show your ID ( and the credit card you used ) They have been burned badly in the past by fake cards being used and the money being denied after the person flies.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

They need to make sure that the ticket is being paid for by authorized funds. If you paid for the ticket ( USC) you may need to go to a local airport that has the same airlines or a partner airline and show your ID ( and the credit card you used ) They have been burned badly in the past by fake cards being used and the money being denied after the person flies.

Sometimes all the traveler needs is a copy of the credit card (front and back) and the ID of the card holder, usually front and back Drivers license or passport.

Love forever,

Dale & Trisha

Married: 9/29/2008

K3 Visa

POE-MSP: 3/13/2009

AOS/EAD

Greencard received: 08/29/2009

Removal of Conditions:

Approved: 10/20/2011

Citizenship

9/19/2012

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I'd like to edit my comment from before to add that if you wait to get an SSN and her I-94 is within two weeks of expiring they will not issue one. You will have to wait for EAD or Green Card to go back.

Timeline

If you get the ssn before the wedding, you have to march back to the ss office and change her name, we waited until after the wedding to get the ssn, it was easy.

As for the the Manila airport, I booked the ticket for my fiancee online I think it was expedia? There was no issues at all, she went through the airport without a hitch.

As for the the Manila airport, I booked the ticket for my fiancee online I think it was expedia? There was no issues at all, she went through the airport without a hitch.

My husband booked my flight through Expedia too (for my K-1) and all I brought to the airport was the printout of the receipt and itinerary and I didn't have any problems. They just checked my passport and made sure I had my visa packet. :)

F & J

I-130 / IR-5 TIMELINE (Petition for Mother)

2016/11/14 — I-130 sent via USPS Priority Mail Express 1-Day

2016/11/15 — I-130 delivered at 11:20 am in PHOENIX, AZ 85034 to BANK ONE, signed for by J LOPEZ; Priority Date  |  2016/11/17 Receipt Date

2016/11/18 I-797C Notice Date; USCIS Acceptance Confirmation Email, case routed to Nebraska Service Center  |  2016/11/21I-797C Postmark

2017/01/18 I-797 Approval Notice Date  |  2017/01/19I-797 Postmark  |  2017/01/23 I-797 Approval Notice hard copy received

Timeline

Don't know what USC is???? No, we booked through Contenental Airlines (owned by United Airlines) and she can check in online. Might have her do that and avoid all the nonsense. She can go ahead and get her boarding pass that way.

Jeff and Emily

1325794574[/url]' post='5086101']

Did she fly Philippine Airlines? I only experience this with PAL, asking for a photocopy of the credit card and ID.

delta airlines on Dec 23rd, so just a couple of weeks ago.PAL certainly does it.Delta perhaps since I purchased it directly from the airlines website

Love forever,

Dale & Trisha

Married: 9/29/2008

K3 Visa

POE-MSP: 3/13/2009

AOS/EAD

Greencard received: 08/29/2009

Removal of Conditions:

Approved: 10/20/2011

Citizenship

9/19/2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

SSN after 10 days because getting it in your married name sometimes doesn't work. You need the SSN to do many things (like go on spouses health insurance etc) and some people don't like having to wait months because their local SSA won't let them get it after marriage in the married name. It's better to get in maiden and then change it to married later. Esp for instance at this time because taxes can be filed soon and without a SSN you need to get an ITIN.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You need a SSN to do almost anything in the US, and it takes a certain amount of time to process, so getting one asap simplifies matters. After you're married you go back to the Social Security office and change your name if it's necessary. As a woman, I have two cards with my number on them - one in my maiden name, and one issued a few months later in my married one.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.