Denver422

IN-TRANSIT WITH K1 VISA to USA

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

While in transit to the US is there any requirement of a transit visa? For example the itinerary has a stop over in Japan for 2 hours before coming here to the POE. Or is the K1 sufficient?

Edited by Denver422

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline

While in transit to the US is there any requirement of a transit visa? For example the itinerary has a stop over in Japan for 2 hours before coming here to the POE. Or is the K1 sufficient?

A transit visa would only be required if that person is intending to stay (in Japan for example) for 21 to 30 days. Layovers do not require a transit visa. Which POE are they coming to? I would like to know how that goes since I'm trying to decide which POE I want my fiancee to go through. Of course, the one with the least complications would be the one I would pick :yes: Happy New Year to you in advance :dance:

K1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Laos

I-129F Sent : 2011-07-16

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-07-19

I-129F RFE(s) : 2011-11-28

RFE Reply(s) : 2011-12-13 Received my initial evidence, 2012-01-03 congressional inquiry conducted; officer is looking at the documents; says should have decision in a few weeks

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-01-25

NVC Received : 2012-02-03

NVC Left : 2012-02-14

Consulate Received : 2012-02-21

Packet 3 Received : 2012-02-29

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-03-19

Packet 4 Received : 2012-04-02

Interview Date : 2012-05-10

2012-05-25 Evidence given to consular officer.

Interview Result : Approved!

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

Timeline

A transit visa would only be required if that person is intending to stay (in Japan for example) for 21 to 30 days. Layovers do not require a transit visa. Which POE are they coming to? I would like to know how that goes since I'm trying to decide which POE I want my fiancee to go through. Of course, the one with the least complications would be the one I would pick :yes: Happy New Year to you in advance :dance:

Thank you for that info. From what I understand they all have the possibility of denying entry, however unlikely, I really haven't the foggiest idea what POE would be the least formidable.

Timeline

Please, please, PLEASE check the country requirements for the person traveling. Most of us are USC and do not require a transit visa, however, depending on the country your K-1 visa holder is from, they MAY be required to have a transit visa just to stay within the airport. There is currently a thread on a person traveling to the US from Peru and they want to go thru Canada or Mexico. Canada requires a transit visa, Mexico does not, but there are medical requirements. Once you pick a route for your K-1 visa holder to come from their home country to the US, check the requirements of any country they will be stopping in. DO NOT accept people on VJ's word on it unless they have traveled the same route with the same circumstances. It is up to you to make certain all requirements for travel are met.

Good luck,

Dave

OK, thanks for your sound advise Dave

OK, thanks for your sound advise Dave ( advice )

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline

Thank you for that info. From what I understand they all have the possibility of denying entry, however unlikely, I really haven't the foggiest idea what POE would be the least formidable.

Yes, very true! All have the power to deny entry. From my studies on this website, LAX seems to be 50/50. However, as I was taught, you get a lot more with sugar than you do with vinegar :thumbs: Also, I must agree with the senior member who said to check the country requirements for the person traveling. As with anything, double check to make sure ok? :yes:

K1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Laos

I-129F Sent : 2011-07-16

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-07-19

I-129F RFE(s) : 2011-11-28

RFE Reply(s) : 2011-12-13 Received my initial evidence, 2012-01-03 congressional inquiry conducted; officer is looking at the documents; says should have decision in a few weeks

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-01-25

NVC Received : 2012-02-03

NVC Left : 2012-02-14

Consulate Received : 2012-02-21

Packet 3 Received : 2012-02-29

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-03-19

Packet 4 Received : 2012-04-02

Interview Date : 2012-05-10

2012-05-25 Evidence given to consular officer.

Interview Result : Approved!

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

K-1 visa is for USA only.

It will not work for any other country.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

When Chinook used her K-1 visa, she flew from the Philippines to the U.S. with a stopover in Japan. She didn't need a transit visa.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your POE is not an issue. It is the stopover airport to check.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

In MOST cases no transit visa are required when one traveling has the valid visa was for their final destination.

Some countries do require a transit visa like UK, UK is little bit picky about everything and anything.

In most cases if you just have couple of hours layover no visa is required.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Check on the airport's website and it'll tell you. If you can't find the information there, call the airline directly.

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

It would be worth your while (or of anyone in a layover situation) to review the comments here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/343989-layovers/

and then to look at the website for the Japanese Embassy in the PI, or nearest servicing consulate/embassy. They always have the most up to date info on any transit visa requirements specific to PI nationals transiting in that particular country.

Sounds like it won't be an issue in this case, but do your own checking with the proper authorities anyway.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.