sheepp

Layovers

72 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi guys!! Merry christmas to all of you! :)

I have a concern, I will be picking up the visa in this week and going to US before New Year´s eve, the thing is that I dont know if I would need a visa for transit in Canada if the flight has a layover there, or in Mexico.

Thank you!

TdATm5.png

*07-12-2011 --- Package sent :)

*07-13-2011 --- NOA1 , Vermont!

*07-20-2011 --- Touched.

*10-14-2011 --- NOA2!!! Yeeeeeeee!!!!

*10-19-2011 --- Hardcopy of NOA2 :)!!

*10-24-2011 --- NVC Received (no case number assigned yet)

*10-26-2011 --- NVC case number assigned :)

*10-28-2011 --- NVC sent to the embassy :)

*10-31-2011 --- Embassy receives package!!! :)

*12-05-2011 --- Medical! _____DONE AND PASSED!!! :)

*12-19-2011 --- Interview!!! :)!! APPROVED!!! WOOOHOOO!!!

*12-29-2011 --- Visa in hand! :D

*12-30-2011 --- POE Newark!! Finally with mi amor!

*02-24-2012 --- We got married! :) [/color][/font][/font]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

How long are you there for? just a few hours? I had a three hour layover in New Zealand and didn't need a visa or anything because i went straight to the transit lounge, i didn't leave the airport. i think if you were staying for a few days it would be a bit different.

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Yes, you would need a visa, even if only staying in the airport, for either Mexico or Canada. However, I think it highly unlikely that you will have a layover in either of those places. If you fly TACA, you may have a layover in Panama or elsewhere in Central America. Try to find a flight on an airline that doesn't include layovers -- ones that come to mind are Delta, American, and LAN.

I think this is something you shouldn't worry about until you find yourself in that situation. And just don't buy a ticket that would involve that since there are more that don't than do. What's the US city you're flying to?

You dont need ANY visa for any country as long as you stay inside the departure (airside) area of the airport. It would be ridicuous if air travellers had to purchase a visa for every airport on the way to thier final destination.

Timeline

That's not true. The US requires transit visas for anyone who doesn't have residency, citizenship, VWP status, comes from a certain exempt country, or a different sort of visa. Even foreign nationals who work on cruise ships have to have one to be able to come to port. http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_4383.html

The US is not the only country that does this -- Mexico and Canada require it for Peruvian nationals, among others. It might sound ridiculous to you, but there is no way for immigration to control who leaves the airside portion of the airport once they leave the control point.

Timeline

If it comes down to needing to travel through Canada or Mexico, which I still think unlikely, here's info on how to get those transit visas.

for Canada: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/peru-perou/visas/index.aspx?lang=spa&menu_id=38&view=d

for Mexico: http://embamex.sre.gob.mx/peru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=34&Itemid=29 (Click on the "transito" tab for the relevant info)

Timeline

Note: Mexico recently added an exemption for US visa holders, but there are some restrictions and exceptions, so be sure to call the embassy and confirm the K-1 will work. The layover in Mexico, even if getting the exemption, apparently requires an "interview" and some paperwork so allow ample time between flights.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I am flying to NY and before New Years eve, the cheapest flight is $980 and is in Air Canada with 1 stop in Ontario, then there is other in Aeromexico, a direct flight before New Year is about $1600 in LAN :(

TdATm5.png

*07-12-2011 --- Package sent :)

*07-13-2011 --- NOA1 , Vermont!

*07-20-2011 --- Touched.

*10-14-2011 --- NOA2!!! Yeeeeeeee!!!!

*10-19-2011 --- Hardcopy of NOA2 :)!!

*10-24-2011 --- NVC Received (no case number assigned yet)

*10-26-2011 --- NVC case number assigned :)

*10-28-2011 --- NVC sent to the embassy :)

*10-31-2011 --- Embassy receives package!!! :)

*12-05-2011 --- Medical! _____DONE AND PASSED!!! :)

*12-19-2011 --- Interview!!! :)!! APPROVED!!! WOOOHOOO!!!

*12-29-2011 --- Visa in hand! :D

*12-30-2011 --- POE Newark!! Finally with mi amor!

*02-24-2012 --- We got married! :) [/color][/font][/font]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You dont need ANY visa for any country as long as you stay inside the departure (airside) area of the airport. It would be ridicuous if air travellers had to purchase a visa for every airport on the way to thier final destination.

Sorry, not true. As yachachiq12 stated, there are a number of countries that require some or all travelers to have a transit visa in order to enter the airport from an international flight and transit to another flight. Canada and Mexico each have a list of countries that require a transit visa. The US requires a transit visa from anyone who isn't eligible for VWP or WHTI traveler status.

This is generally a non-issue for most travelers. Any rational travel agent won't sell you a ticket on a flight if you don't have the visas you'll need in order to reach your final destination, though if you book online then you're on your own. The airline would almost certainly not board you at your initial departure airport without ALL of the visas you'll need. If you get stuck at an airport because you've been denied entry (including for the lack of a transit visa) then the airline generally has an obligation to return you to your departure point, though they'll usually try to make you pay for the flight.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

The date is the root of the problem. With more notice and not in the middle of a holiday, there are a lot more flights to choose from. I'd call the Mexican Embassy on Monday (or when they open). The visas shouldn't take too long to get if they're needed.

First, check with Mexico on using your K-1 for exemption. Then, according to your timing and money, re-consider waiting a few days to enter the US. A quick search I just made indicates that those flights you mentioned as being cheaper are disappearing fast.

Don't forget to search for both round-trip and one-way (just cancel your return leg if you're not going to use it) and see if your fiance might have enough air miles to get you a free ticket if it comes down to it.

Sorry, not true. As yachachiq12 stated, there are a number of countries that require some or all travelers to have a transit visa in order to enter the airport from an international flight and transit to another flight.

Let me get this correct

I am travelling from country A to country C...

I deplane in country B at gate 5, walk through a checkpoint to gate 6, and get on another plane for country C.

This requires a Visa for country B? For what purpose since I never passed thorugh countries B's immigration/passport control?

Timeline

Let me get this correct

I deplane in country B at gate 5, walk through a checkpoint to gate 6, and get on another plane for country C.

This requires a Visa for country B? For what purpose since I never passed thorugh countries B's immigration/passport control?

What you're missing is that you do indeed pass through immigration/passport control. No matter what your next step is, simply deplaning in any country different from the origin point (country A) will require a pass through country B's immigration.

The visa is required according to the type of passport you're carrying. Coming from a place like Peru with a Peruvian passport means you'll need a visa just about anywhere (other than the Andean countries).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Let me get this correct

Yes. For instance Canada >> http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/twov-tsv/it-iiv-eng.html and http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatravelplanner/qt/transit_visa_canada.htm

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Let me get this correct

It depends on the country. In some countries you deplane directly into the international terminal concourse, and you can walk over to the gate where your next flight is departing. You don't have to go through any kind of checkpoint unless you try to leave the concourse. In other countries you deplane into a transit area and either head towards the immigration checkpoint for arriving passengers or to the transit checkpoint for transiting passengers. After clearing the transit checkpoint you enter the international terminal concourse. In still other countries (like the US) everyone deplanes into a transit area from which the only exit is through the immigration checkpoint. In the US you also have to collect your bags and clear customs, even if you're transiting to another country.

The purpose is because you are on the soil of a foreign country, and they get to make the rules about who can fly into or out of their airports. There is no part of any airport that is considered international territory. If they allow you to transit through their country without a visa then it's because they've chosen to allow it, and not because you have any inherent right to do so.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Hmmm. this is interesting!

I have travelled through two dozen countries in Europe and Asia and never was required to purchase a transit visa? Is it based on countries that dont have formal treaties, countries not friendly to one another, countries with high fraud rates, or some other factor?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.