onlydrinktea

K-1 Visa - Things to be aware at customs?

19 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum. Thanks to VisaJourney, my fiancee got her visa approved and she'll be coming to the States in Jan. In my case, it might be a little different, I will actually be going visit her in Taiwan, then return to the States with her. Also, her mom will be tagging along and staying with us for 3 weeks. So my question is since there are separate lanes designated for US citizens and non-citizens at customs, can I accompany them going through the non-citizens lane? I could perhaps provide translations if deemed necessary, or is that not a good idea? The only reason I'm asking is because the last thing I want to do is anger a customs officer, making the whole process unpleasant. Not to generalize, but from other forums that I've came across, some customs officers give K-1 visa holders a hard time. So any experience in this regard would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for sharing.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

As a USC, you can enter through the visitor lanes without a problem.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I just returned from Peru in November and asked a supervisor of CBP this exact question for when my finacee and I come to the USA together he told me " no problem, it is perfectly ok to stay with her in the non-citizen line. This was at Houston airport

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

There's usually a CBP officer directing people which line to get in. Tell them your situation and they'll direct you to the line they want you in.

I traveled with my wife and step kids from Vietnam. There were a few dozen people in the visitor's line, but only a few people in the citizen's line. I told the CBP officer who was directing traffic that I was a citizen and the people with me were a K1 and two K2's. He sent us to the citizen's line, which was a lot faster.

If the CBP officer asks her a question that she doesn't understand then feel free to translate. If she understands then let her respond on her own.

Most K1's are not given a hard time by the CBP when entering the US. The most common problems they encounter, like immigrant intent, don't apply to a K1.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I just returned from Peru in November and asked a supervisor of CBP this exact question for when my finacee and I come to the USA together he told me " no problem, it is perfectly ok to stay with her in the non-citizen line. This was at Houston airport

This has been my question: Which line do visa holders get get in? I have never seen anyone available to ask, just other passengers.

He's not a citizen (yet), he will be a resident once he is through customs, and he is not a visitor. The resident direction seems the best choice, but then again...

P1120275.JPG

Taken in Houston Intercontinental Airport October 21st, 2011.

Edited by EminTX

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We asked upon arrival. Since it was myself (USC) and my fiancee, they CBP agent directed us to the USC/Resident line. No problems at all. Since the OP has his future mother-in-law with them, who is most likely entering on a non-immigrant/tourist visa, they are probably going to be directed to a visitor line. I would be more worried about her being grilled for arriving w/ her (soon to be immigrant) daughter.

FWIW, I often entered via the visitor lanes at my usual POE. More often than not, the visitor lanes were usually much, much shorter than the USC/resident lanes and they can process any type of entry - immigrant, non-immigrant or otherwise.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum. Thanks to VisaJourney, my fiancee got her visa approved and she'll be coming to the States in Jan. In my case, it might be a little different, I will actually be going visit her in Taiwan, then return to the States with her. Also, her mom will be tagging along and staying with us for 3 weeks. So my question is since there are separate lanes designated for US citizens and non-citizens at customs, can I accompany them going through the non-citizens lane? I could perhaps provide translations if deemed necessary, or is that not a good idea? The only reason I'm asking is because the last thing I want to do is anger a customs officer, making the whole process unpleasant. Not to generalize, but from other forums that I've came across, some customs officers give K-1 visa holders a hard time. So any experience in this regard would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for sharing.

My wife and son and our friend's fiance and son had no issues.

They were reminded that they had to get married within 90 days and were told "Welcome to the US"

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

There's usually a CBP officer directing people which line to get in. Tell them your situation and they'll direct you to the line they want you in.

I traveled with my wife and step kids from Vietnam. There were a few dozen people in the visitor's line, but only a few people in the citizen's line. I told the CBP officer who was directing traffic that I was a citizen and the people with me were a K1 and two K2's. He sent us to the citizen's line, which was a lot faster.

If the CBP officer asks her a question that she doesn't understand then feel free to translate. If she understands then let her respond on her own.

Most K1's are not given a hard time by the CBP when entering the US. The most common problems they encounter, like immigrant intent, don't apply to a K1.

:thumbs: If you are traveling together just ask which line they would like you in. We were also told it was OK to go to the citizens line - which was much shorter and faster.

Hi guys,

you can accompany her on the line for non US Citizen on the port of entry, you dont have be separated and your mother in law can fall in line together with you as family. if the officer will tell you different then do so.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Ask the officer, you should have no problems.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Hi Jim,

Exactly our experience at Dulles International Airport. I accompanied my fiancee and stepson from the Philippines to the U.S. Upon arrival, I asked a CBP officer into which line we should go and she directed us to the U.S. Citizens line. Except for a few questions, no headaches at all. The only question that tripped her up was the first one (she was nervous): Where are you from? She responded "Calamba" (that is her barangay ... neighborhood) and then responded "Cebu City" ... the officer just looked at her passport and then at her and said, "And Cebu is in what country?" She stammered, "Philippines, Philippines!!!" :D

Have a great day!

Joe

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

My POE was IAD and my parents were travelling with me, we went through the non-citizen lane. The officer asked my parents: So why are you coming with her? Only she got the imigrant visa... (Of course they had all the VWP papers and everything). My dad just explained that they helped with all my luggage and wanted to see where the heck their daughter is going to live, so she backed off... :bonk:

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Austria

Marriage: 2010-11-19

I-130 Sent : 2010-12-20

I-130 NOA1 : 2011-01-05

I-130 NOA2 : 2011-05-09

Received NVC Case Number on 5/21,

Sent DS-3032 and paid AOS bill on 5/21,

Paid IV Bill on 5/25

Sent both packages on 6/1

Packages arrived 6/6

SIF & CC 6/20

Medical 7/25

Interview 8/9

Received visa 8/16

Flight to the US 10/4 (POE = IAD)

I just want to point out that you are talking about going through immigration, not customs. Customs comes after immigration and after you get your luggage. Customs is concerned with what is in your luggage mainly.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.