Sayha or bust.

Does your wife ever get used to the cold?

47 posts in this topic

Moving from Accra Ghana to Fairbanks Alaska was a big change for Florence. We bought a warm coat before we left Accra so she could deal with shock of getting off the plane in Alaska. We had a cold snap here in Fairbanks last month. It was between -30 and -40 for a week. She took it well but did complain some. Now, anything above zero is manageable. She still sleeps in long thermal underwear. I think the short days have been just as difficult as the cold for her.

That is quite the comprehensive change!

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Here in the California central valley, the winters are considered "mild" (averaging 40-60 deg F), though considerably colder than where I came from where it's about 80 deg the whole year round. When you have a way to transition gradually from summer to winter, and learn the trick of layering, then it's not so bad.

What really bothers me is how short the days get. I can't get used to the sun setting at 4:30 pm! :(

Dec 05, 2011: Received U.S. permanent resident status (AOS based on K-1 visa)

Dec 16, 2013: Removal of conditions on green card

Apr 28, 2015: Became a U.S. Citizen

Here in the California central valley, the winters are considered "mild" (averaging 40-60 deg F), though considerably colder than where I came from where it's about 80 deg the whole year round. When you have a way to transition gradually from summer to winter, and learn the trick of layering, then it's not so bad.

What really bothers me is how short the days get. I can't get used to the sun setting at 4:30 pm! :(

About the same climate as my wife's(S. Vietnam) and she too doesn't understand why it gets dark early. You still wear flips when its cold? she does alot or when she does put her casual shoes on she never slips the shoe on all the way, smashes the heel down. lol

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife moved from Mindanao (southern Philippines) to Barrow, Alaska in the summer of 2010. Barrow is a polar climate with no windbreaks - the winters are very cold (not quite as cold as Fairbanks though), and the wind chill can be brutal (-70s - ouch!). But the humidity is usually very low, so it often does not feel quite as cold as the numbers indicate.

My wife has adapted well and actually likes Barrow because she's used to small town living. The key for her was to get a job at the school, where she has made friends and can be around children. The climate isn't so bad if you have the proper clothing and equipment, and a nice cozy apartment. We snuggle and keep each other warm at night!

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Manila, Philippines

2010-03-02 I-129F Sent

2010-03-08 NOA1

2010-03-09 Check Cashed

2010-03-10 Case "touched"

2010-04-13 Case "touched"

2010-04-15 NOA2

2010-04-21 NVC Received

2010-06-01 K-1 Interview at US Embassy Manila

2010-06-08 Visa Issued

2010-07-08 POE: San Francisco, CA

2010-07-31 Married

2010-09-24 Sent AOS Package (I-185, I-765)

2010-09-27 AOS Package Received at Chicago Lockbox

2010-10-04 NOA (Notice of Receipt) date for I-485 & I-765

2010-10-07 Touch

2010-12-22 Biometrics

2010-12-22 I-485 Interview at Anchorage, AK

2010-12-27 2-yr Green Card Issued

2011-01-10 Green Card Received

2011-05-19 Vacation to Philippines

2011-07-02 Return from Philippines to US

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Wow a lot of people here from Alaska, now I feel like a wimp complaining about winters in Chicago! (my excuse is I'm from Africa!" :P

K1 Timeline
03/08/10 - I-129F packet sent to VSC
07/07/10 - Interview Date - APPROVED!
10/28/10 - POE @ Chicago
11/21/10 - Marriage

AOS, AP, EAD.
01/18/11 - AOS, AP, EAD packet sent
03/07/2011 - Biometrics appointment
03/29/2011 - AOS, AP and EAD approved (After 2.5 months)
04/04/2011 - Green card in hand[/size]

ROC
02/12/2013 - ROC packet sent
02/21/2013 - NOA1 Received
03/09/2013 - Biometrics appointment
06/19/2013 - ROC APPROVED!

N-400 Naturalization

06/20/2014 - N-400 Packet sent

07/15/2014 - Check Cashedarrow-10x10.png

08/04/2014 - Biometrics

02/19/2015 - Interview

03/26/2015 - Oath Ceremony
event.png

event.png

That's one place I intend to go to, Alaska. Been on my list of 'to go to' places for years :)

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

My wife moved from Mindanao (southern Philippines) to Barrow, Alaska in the summer of 2010. Barrow is a polar climate with no windbreaks - the winters are very cold (not quite as cold as Fairbanks though), and the wind chill can be brutal (-70s - ouch!). But the humidity is usually very low, so it often does not feel quite as cold as the numbers indicate.

My wife has adapted well and actually likes Barrow because she's used to small town living. The key for her was to get a job at the school, where she has made friends and can be around children. The climate isn't so bad if you have the proper clothing and equipment, and a nice cozy apartment. We snuggle and keep each other warm at night!

I went to Barrow last July and it was 30F and extremely windy when most of AK was 70's! :)

Alaska airlines has good deals to Maui from Anchorage or Fairbanks when it gets too cold! :)

05-2010 I-129F application received by USCIS.

05-2010 NOA1 received.

07-2010 NOA2 received.

07-2010 Packet 3 received.

08-2010 Packet 3 returned.

09-2010 Medical in London.

10-2010 Interview at US Embassy in London: Approved.

10-2010 POE Newark, NJ.

11-2010 Married in Vermont.

03-2011 Notice of acceptance of AOS packet.

03-2011 Biometrics appointment in St Albans.

03-2010 Case transfered to California Service Centre.

04-2011 I-485 Approved.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Oh -- another example of American superiority: During Mrs. T-B.'s first summer here, she was amazed that southeastern Texas was even hotter than Guayaquil. :dance:

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

My other half will probably freak out in July. He lives where it gets cold and hot but not sweltering like here in coastal Texas. The humidity is the killer, IMHO.

He has also never actually seen snow in his life. I am pretty sure that his first experience will be fun for me to watch, too.

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Timeline

My babe is also from Vietnam and she did fine. She does get cold and just bundles up. A month ago when I was home I told her we were going to turn the heat on that night. (She hates to as electricity costs money. We don't pay the electric bill though.) I did and of course as usual she gets up to turn off the central heat after I fell asleep. I woke up and was cold and just put socks on and a sweat pants and went back to bed mumbling. She appeared to be asleep just fine. When I woke up that next morning she was bundled up in all jacket and socks and pants and had all her stuffed animals around her and the big one on top of her, buried. I of course took the blanket and pulled it off her and scattered her crazy girl cave she made. Her loud whining had no affect on me.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I have been very surprised at how well she has handled the cold. I thought it was going to be a long winter when she arrived in late November.. There was some luck with abnormally high temps for the first week or so.. When the temps first dipped to below freezing she needed a few days to adjust. Now she has no problem with the cold - she whips out the cell phone and gives a little cheer each time it gets below zero. She is a little perturbed that there has not been any snow yet. I tell her the local ski resorts feel the same way.

A pic from yesterdays walk:

post-93893-0-25605900-1324240090_thumb.jpg

90 minutes in sub-freezing temps and she was not ready to end the walk yet... Not bad for someone who had previously never seen below 60 degree weather :)

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

About the same climate as my wife's(S. Vietnam) and she too doesn't understand why it gets dark early. You still wear flips when its cold? she does alot or when she does put her casual shoes on she never slips the shoe on all the way, smashes the heel down. lol

No, I've discovered the joy of warm fleece-lined slippers! I do miss my summer sandals, though. And miss having polished toenails--no point when your toes are always covered and even I hardly ever see them!

Dec 05, 2011: Received U.S. permanent resident status (AOS based on K-1 visa)

Dec 16, 2013: Removal of conditions on green card

Apr 28, 2015: Became a U.S. Citizen

My babe is also from Vietnam and she did fine. She does get cold and just bundles up. A month ago when I was home I told her we were going to turn the heat on that night. (She hates to as electricity costs money. We don't pay the electric bill though.) I did and of course as usual she gets up to turn off the central heat after I fell asleep. I woke up and was cold and just put socks on and a sweat pants and went back to bed mumbling. She appeared to be asleep just fine. When I woke up that next morning she was bundled up in all jacket and socks and pants and had all her stuffed animals around her and the big one on top of her, buried. I of course took the blanket and pulled it off her and scattered her crazy girl cave she made. Her loud whining had no affect on me.

Funny stuff, I try to tell my wife a winter jacket not sleeping apparel.

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I see two "Bona-Fides" weighed in before me. Interior Alaska, same as Howard and Florence. The dark is harder than the cold mentally. I'm more tired of it after 26 years than she is. This is her third winter.

Bunny boots and expedition weight stuff from Apocalypse Design - bring on the fifty below zero. We heat with wood and she is hauling it all now for the second winter in a row now waiting for my leg to heal. These Filipina units are sturdy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.