25 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

How do I register my name at an address with the USPS?Tried asking them and they had no idea what to do with me. I heard that the SSA won't mail your card unless your name is registered at the postal address where you live. I just landed in the US and have no idea what to do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

How do I register my name at an address with the USPS?Tried asking them and they had no idea what to do with me. I heard that the SSA won't mail your card unless your name is registered at the postal address where you live. I just landed in the US and have no idea what to do.

You need to have the person who lives at your street address (so assuming its your husband house) go in and have your name added to the address. If you live in an apartment you ask to have your name put on that. PO Box same thing. Basically you want to be sure that any mail bearing your name gets delivered.

Contrary to the person above, USPS doesn't always deliver mail unless the name is on the mailbox/PO Box etc

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I went to the post office they told me all I had to do was mail a couple letters to myself. Obviously that sounded sketchy at best. So where and who should my fiancé talk to in order to register my name at the address? No one I've spoken to in person has given me a straight answer so far. Very frustrating.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The only time you have to register an address is if it's a newly built home and it has never had an address assigned to it. USPS doesn't assign addresses to people.

You can forward your mail from your old address to your new address online, by filling out the change of address form.

In order for USPS to deliver your mail to your address, you simply make sure YOUR name is on the mail box. Also make an index card with your name and put it on the inside of the mail box door. If you have a PO box; have who ever rents the box go in an add your name to the rental agreement. Make another index card and put it on the inside of the PO box door.

To make sure you are receiving your mail at your address, simply mail yourself a post card. If it makes it there, you have no issues.

My husband gets junk mail here all the time and he's not even in the US yet.

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

My mailman returned the NOA with my husband last name on it, because it is different from my last name... You can personally talk to your mailman to update the last name on the address (we live in a apartment complex, and they stick a list of last names inside the box...)

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Well you should ask your husband when the mailman usually comes during the day. Then go out and talk to him that you just move in, and your name is... That's what I did last time to verify with my local mailman, now my husband mail comes already.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I live in a house that is currently under my fiance's name. So all I have to do is put my name on the inside of the mailbox and it'll be fine?

That's all you have to do. Put your name on the mail box with his. It also wouldn't hurt to go out and introduce yourself to the postal worker and tell them you just moved in.

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

That's all you have to do. Put your name on the mail box with his. It also wouldn't hurt to go out and introduce yourself to the postal worker and tell them you just moved in.

i'd like to point out that having one's name on the mailbox is not a requirement. personally i wouldn't recommend it either as by putting one's name on the mailbox (that also has an address on it, or one that obviously belongs to a specific house - say the only mailbox near the only house for miles), you just told every would be burglar/criminal driving on your street your last name. they can look in the phone book, call your number and see if you're home or not.

as mentioned earlier, just have a talk with your postal delivery person.

additional reading:

Basic Recipient Concerns

1.1.1 Delivery to Addressee

Addressees may control delivery of their mail. Without a contrary order, the mail is delivered as addressed. Mail addressed to several persons may be delivered to any one of them.

3.2.7 Address Identification

Every curbside mailbox must bear the following address information:

a. A box number, if used, inscribed in contrasting color in neat letters and numerals at least 1 inch high on the side of the box visible to the carrier’s regular approach, or on the door if boxes are grouped.

b. A house number if street names and house numbers have been assigned by local authorities, and the postmaster authorizes their use as a postal address. If the box is on a different street from the customer’s residence, the street name and house number must be inscribed on the box.

3.2.8 Owner’s Name

The mailbox may bear the owner’s name.

usps link

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

i'd like to point out that having one's name on the mailbox is not a requirement. personally i wouldn't recommend it either as by putting one's name on the mailbox (that also has an address on it, or one that obviously belongs to a specific house - say the only mailbox near the only house for miles), you just told every would be burglar/criminal driving on your street your last name. they can look in the phone book, call your number and see if you're home or not.

as mentioned earlier, just have a talk with your postal delivery person.

I understand the mailbox thing but the note INSIDE the box is a good idea. In Houston I lived in an apartment complex. they would NOT deliver mail unless the person whose name was on the mail, was on the little piece of paper inside saying they lived there. Something to do with the high rate of turnover in apartments and identity theft.

I heard that the SSA won't mail your card unless your name is registered at the postal address where you live.

Incorrect! When I applied for my SSN I wasn't registered at the address where me and my hubby lived and USPS delivered my SSN without complications.

SSA will mail you card to whatever address you put on the SS-5 form.

Correct!

Edited by A + M
as1cHpz0g410600MzAwNzg3OWx8MjM3NjYxc3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Timeline

I understand the mailbox thing but the note INSIDE the box is a good idea. In Houston I lived in an apartment complex. they would NOT deliver mail unless the person whose name was on the mail, was on the little piece of paper inside saying they lived there. Something to do with the high rate of turnover in apartments and identity theft.

that may be a rule within the complex. i'm used to the regular old mail box - anyone can open it, and it's not locked.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

that may be a rule within the complex. i'm used to the regular old mail box - anyone can open it, and it's not locked.

No it was a USPS rule. I spoke to the mailman about it. But I understand what you're saying. Even on a regular mailbox I would make sure my name was inside the box or speak to the local USPS about how to make sure mail was delivered. My in-laws had to add my name to their mail route or something so that when I got stuff sent in my maiden name it would still be put in the box.

Timeline

No it was a USPS rule. I spoke to the mailman about it. But I understand what you're saying. Even on a regular mailbox I would make sure my name was inside the box or speak to the local USPS about how to make sure mail was delivered. My in-laws had to add my name to their mail route or something so that when I got stuff sent in my maiden name it would still be put in the box.

it's someone's rule, but not the usps.

The mailbox may bear the owner’s name.

usps link

may is not must.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.