Ludyous

Fiance problems adjusting to food

130 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My SO lost quite a bit of weight when he first got here. It doesn't help when they get here in the fall/winter, and the produce isn't the best. Tomatoes especially are just not good in November/December. Anyway, the only thing he could really eat at first was breakfast - French or Italian bread with Laughing Cow cheese wedges and maybe some apricot jam. Oh, and it took me a day or two to figure out that he didn't like the milk because it was 1% and he was only used to whole milk! So, for several weeks, he at least had one meal a day.

His mom thought it was really strange, but I had him call her for recipes, and he started cooking for himself - and the rest of us! I really enjoy the food, but had to get him to stop using a cup or more of olive oil for most recipes! Now I can make most of the recipes, once I had him translate them for me. Well, I usually just wrote them in English while watching him cook.

Anyway, after he was here for a while, he started getting a taste for the food, and now will eat just about anything (other than things like pork, of course).

Hang in there, both of you. He will eventually be able to eat more.

Oh, and one challenging thing is figuring out which foods are ok for him. It's surprising how many things contain ingredients like gelatin (even some types of gum).

Good luck. It will get better.

venusfire

Things are going much better now. He decides and does most of the cooking I enjoy everything he cooks. I guess i was frustrated just worrying about what would i cook and if he would eat it. I have lived alone without a man for years and now having to worry about feeding someone was just a lil bit frustrating and plus dealing with a picky person Grrrrrr. Having to buy daily fresh bread running here and there was just a bit to much for me and like you say in this time of year makes things harder, getting off work late in the dark all worry about dinner is not fun.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yes - the bread! We invested in a bread maker, which saves money in the long run. It's nice - you can set it as much as 12 hours ahead of time. He doesn't really like it cooked in there, so we usually set it on the dough cycle, and then cook it (in whatever shape) in the oven. He recently found a nice, simple French bread recipe that we're using.

I'm happy to hear that he's cooking, and you're relaxing about his eating habits.

Enjoy your time together!

venusfire

Things are going much better now. He decides and does most of the cooking I enjoy everything he cooks. I guess i was frustrated just worrying about what would i cook and if he would eat it. I have lived alone without a man for years and now having to worry about feeding someone was just a lil bit frustrating and plus dealing with a picky person Grrrrrr. Having to buy daily fresh bread running here and there was just a bit to much for me and like you say in this time of year makes things harder, getting off work late in the dark all worry about dinner is not fun.

Thanks

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: Timeline

Thanks

Well I finally taught my husband how to make the Moroccan bread finally. Now when I am working, he goes into the kitchen and pulls out his SPECIAL lol recipe that I made just for him on how to prepare the bread step by step. He does a good job with the kitchen aid mixer as it kneads the bread for himgood.gif He had made it three times now in the past month all by himself. I am so proud of him for trying as it took me a long time to perfect this dang bread as it is in morocco. Now if I just could learn Arabic faster. I know quiet a bit but not able to put all of the words into sentences. I really want to learn so that I can speak with his family when we return to Morocco.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I guess I got lucky, the hubs loves my cooking. I cook EVERYTHING. Peruvian food, American food, Italian food, Chinese, you name it, I've made it. :lol:

He's not big on marinara sauce though, so when I make pastas I usually make him some kind of creamy alfredo-type sauce or a vodka sauce.

Speaking of Italian food, I could go for some penne a la vodka right about now.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I guess I got lucky, the hubs loves my cooking. I cook EVERYTHING. Peruvian food, American food, Italian food, Chinese, you name it, I've made it. :lol:

He's not big on marinara sauce though, so when I make pastas I usually make him some kind of creamy alfredo-type sauce or a vodka sauce.

Speaking of Italian food, I could go for some penne a la vodka right about now.

not sure what that is but if it has vodka in then im sure it must be good lol

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Timeline

not sure what that is but if it has vodka in then im sure it must be good lol

Nothing crazy, just penne pasta served with a vodka based sauce. (The alcohol's all cooked out though... shucks!)

Vodka+Penne_1911+120+dpi+sharp+@+10.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Nothing crazy, just penne pasta served with a vodka based sauce. (The alcohol's all cooked out though... shucks!)

That's a fallacy actually: http://www.ochef.com/165.htm While it's possible to cook off all the alcohol content I doubt they actually do it long enough to do so. Safer to assume they don't when thinking about driving afterwards.

Timeline

That's a fallacy actually: http://www.ochef.com/165.htm While it's possible to cook off all the alcohol content I doubt they actually do it long enough to do so. Safer to assume they don't when thinking about driving afterwards.

Interesting! Well I never got buzzed off of it, :lol: It's delicious anyway.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

This is nonsense.

My wife is Ukrainian and cooks Ukrainian food because that is what she knows how to cook. It is pretty good and I eat it most of the time. When I want tacos, chili, beans and sausage, frogmore stew, dragon stew, etc, I just make it. I know where the store is, I know how to cook it. I just do it. I do not complain or ask permission. Just do it. I even wash my own dishes when I am done, get a big bowl of HOT Texas Red and settle down to VJ! :D

Alla does not complain and does not eat it (more for me!)

#######???? You mean adults can't handle this? :wacko:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

This is nonsense.

My wife is Ukrainian and cooks Ukrainian food because that is what she knows how to cook. It is pretty good and I eat it most of the time. When I want tacos, chili, beans and sausage, frogmore stew, dragon stew, etc, I just make it. I know where the store is, I know how to cook it. I just do it. I do not complain or ask permission. Just do it. I even wash my own dishes when I am done, get a big bowl of HOT Texas Red and settle down to VJ! :D

Alla does not complain and does not eat it (more for me!)

It's not nonsense to want to eat together. I find it odd that you make food that you wife doesn't eat without asking her first if she's okay with it. Maybe this is because you're both competent in the kitchen...

Tony isn't exactly going to win chef of the year so I cook 95% of the time. I'll say to Tony "I feel like ### are you right to make something for yourself?" and he says yes or that he'll some of that as well. Otherwise I make food that we both eat (and that I know we both eat). Even when making food we both eat I usually ask what he feels like before I make something (unless I feel like something specifically).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It's not nonsense to want to eat together. I find it odd that you make food that you wife doesn't eat without asking her first if she's okay with it. Maybe this is because you're both competent in the kitchen...

Tony isn't exactly going to win chef of the year so I cook 95% of the time. I'll say to Tony "I feel like ### are you right to make something for yourself?" and he says yes or that he'll some of that as well. Otherwise I make food that we both eat (and that I know we both eat). Even when making food we both eat I usually ask what he feels like before I make something (unless I feel like something specifically).

:lol:

Believe me, she is OK without eating it! I couldn't possibly care less if you find it odd.

It is because we are both adults.

We can eat together whether I have chili and she has bortsch or whether we both have bortsch. When you eat together at a restaraunt do you order the same thing? Share a plate? Cut his food for him? And sometimes we eat separately like when she is doing homework and I am sitting at my desk with work or VJ. :o:o:o

Good grief.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I can totally understand when the foreign spouse arrives in the U.S. and isn't used to the food, to be a little picky, etc. Especially if you don't have a restaurant from their country nearby, etc. But after awhile, that gets kinda old.

I don't think the British ever get used to America's streaky bacon. And after having had UK bacon, I can't blame them!

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi,

Well in my experience, I arrived here last friday and I am having a really hard time adjusting to food, I am from Peru so I guess there is not so much difference like with the moroccan and american difference, but same, it is not that you dont want to eat because you are not mature and dont want to make some changes it is also how your body reacts, in my case every thing I eat makes me feel sick and dont feel like eating, not because I want to be annoying with my fiance, but bcause I really cant, I try food, I cook, the ingredients are different than in Peru and the results are not the same and that is really frustrating, went to international supermarkets to look for peruvian food and found some things so hope it helps, but the thing is not to judge him thinking he is selfish saying he cant eat new things here, he has to adjust, and it takes time, every person is different so just be patient and supportive bcause its not easy to change all the things that u have been used to and he is doing this for you, so try to be supportive and patient im sure he will start liking food and adjusting very soon :)

TdATm5.png

*07-12-2011 --- Package sent :)

*07-13-2011 --- NOA1 , Vermont!

*07-20-2011 --- Touched.

*10-14-2011 --- NOA2!!! Yeeeeeeee!!!!

*10-19-2011 --- Hardcopy of NOA2 :)!!

*10-24-2011 --- NVC Received (no case number assigned yet)

*10-26-2011 --- NVC case number assigned :)

*10-28-2011 --- NVC sent to the embassy :)

*10-31-2011 --- Embassy receives package!!! :)

*12-05-2011 --- Medical! _____DONE AND PASSED!!! :)

*12-19-2011 --- Interview!!! :)!! APPROVED!!! WOOOHOOO!!!

*12-29-2011 --- Visa in hand! :D

*12-30-2011 --- POE Newark!! Finally with mi amor!

*02-24-2012 --- We got married! :) [/color][/font][/font]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi,

Well in my experience, I arrived here last friday and I am having a really hard time adjusting to food, I am from Peru so I guess there is not so much difference like with the moroccan and american difference, but same, it is not that you dont want to eat because you are not mature and dont want to make some changes it is also how your body reacts, in my case every thing I eat makes me feel sick and dont feel like eating, not because I want to be annoying with my fiance, but bcause I really cant, I try food, I cook, the ingredients are different than in Peru and the results are not the same and that is really frustrating, went to international supermarkets to look for peruvian food and found some things so hope it helps, but the thing is not to judge him thinking he is selfish saying he cant eat new things here, he has to adjust, and it takes time, every person is different so just be patient and supportive bcause its not easy to change all the things that u have been used to and he is doing this for you, so try to be supportive and patient im sure he will start liking food and adjusting very soon :)

Welcome to the U.S.!

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.