one...two...tree

How the economic times impact modern American home design

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

One positive effect of the leaner economic times is the decline of ‘McMansions’, those oversized, homogeneous symbols of the boom years of American housing. In an article for the Wall Street Journal, S. Mitra Kalita outlines how US homes are moving towards more practical features and away from the aspirational.

Whether new construction or renovations, the overall size of American houses remains the same, a median of 2200 square feet. What’s changed is how that space is allotted into rooms and how those rooms are used. Residential architects and builders cite fewer places for display (e.g. grand foyers, formal living rooms) and more space for storage.

Other major changes in housing designs include:

- multifunctional rooms replacing separate, formal spaces like dens and offices

- adapting rooms for multi-generational families and aging in place (moving bedrooms downstairs, replacing second set of stairs with closets that can later be replaced with an elevator)

- major bathroom renovations (replacing jacuzzis and soaker tubs with steam shower stalls or tubs with a removable wall for accessibility)

The recession left a population with shifted priorities, reflected in the design shifts of our homes.

Stephen Melman, an economist for the National Association of Home Builders, sums it up: “Value and need are driving the home purchase decisions, not the potential investment value.”

Blueprint for a New American Home [The Wall Street Journal]

Whether new construction or renovations, the overall size of American houses remains the same, a median of 2200 square feet.

:o

I'm really, honestly surprised this is so high!

Now I'm wondering about the astronomical costs of keeping a place that size heated.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Mister Fancypants? Don't you mean Mrs.?

Meh.. Anyway, don't care much about the BS when it comes to home buying except for one thing. NO EFFING HOME OWNERS ASSOCIATIONS!!!!

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

One positive effect of the leaner economic times is the decline of ‘McMansions’, those oversized, homogeneous symbols of the boom years of American housing.

Why would anyone think thats a positive thing?

This is the problem with some on the Left, not only do they want the supper wealthy brought down, even the average American doing well is a bad thing.

:unsure:

I wish more people were building big extravagant homes, that would be good for everyone.

I'm rather sick of the ugly neighborhoods with vinyl sided boxes, nicer houses are a pleasure to look at.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
NO EFFING HOME OWNERS ASSOCIATIONS!!!!
Si, man. If I were President, I'd immediately set the Justice Department on all of them for violating our Fourth Amendment rights, and probably other rights as well.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Si, man. If I were President, I'd immediately set the Justice Department on all of them for violating our Fourth Amendment rights, and probably other rights as well.

Buying a home is a voluntary transaction.

Buying a home in a development in a PUD or which has an HOA is voluntary.

The HOA is a private organization, the contract between the homeowner and HOA is a private contract.

Which branch of government is violating search and seizure provisions of the Fourth Amendment?

I own my freehold home with no HOA, I chose not to own property with HOA provisions. There's no need to appeal to government intervention if that's what you want - just exercise your choice as a consumer.

Timeline

Buying a home is a voluntary transaction.

Buying a home in a development in a PUD or which has an HOA is voluntary.

The HOA is a private organization, the contract between the homeowner and HOA is a private contract.

Which branch of government is violating search and seizure provisions of the Fourth Amendment?

I own my freehold home with no HOA, I chose not to own property with HOA provisions. There's no need to appeal to government intervention if that's what you want - just exercise your choice as a consumer.

:thumbs:

HOA offer a lot of things to those who hold those restrictions important.

I live under the "rule" of a HOA, in some ways I regret it, but I bought in here of my own choosing and should feel obliged to conform to their community rules.

If I could change anything (THough I am not pushing for legislation), I would want an ethical obligation put on Realtors to not just show the home to a perspective buyer but also disclose the rules of the HOA before an offer is made. MY HOA seems fairly reasonable but some are farther out there.

William Penn

Timeline

work.1668424.2.flat,550x550,075,f.trailer-trash.jpg

With upgrades in windows and insulation and add a few solar panels, this is what the Greens have in mind for -Low impact, sustainable living.

seriously.

William Penn

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

One positive effect of the leaner economic times is the decline of ‘McMansions’, those oversized, homogeneous symbols of the boom years of American housing.

Why would anyone think thats a positive thing?

This is the problem with some on the Left, not only do they want the supper wealthy brought down, even the average American doing well is a bad thing.

:unsure:

I wish more people were building big extravagant homes, that would be good for everyone.

I'm rather sick of the ugly neighborhoods with vinyl sided boxes, nicer houses are a pleasure to look at.

Well a McMansion from an architectural viewpoint is actually one of the ugliest creations the US has seen. They are generally a hodgepodge of styles and elements that creates what I like to call "architectural vomit". Because size was more important than quality, these homes also are typically built with inferior products and they are not in any way efficient.

Anytime you have a boom in housing you get poor housing. Alot of the vinyl sided boxes you refer to were earlier booms. In reality, the US hasn't seen quality housing since the 40s. Thats why I'm primarily looking at homes built in 1920s neighborhoods.