ecirnala

Food Stamps

81 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I have tried to do some research about this topic, but I can't seem to find an answer that I can feel comfortable with. What I want to know is whether or not me apply for Food Stamps will mess up my fiances K1 eligibility or not. I do have a job & I am working full-time, but I just need a little help right now. I'm only making about $1,000 a month & am hoping to go back to college soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

Are you even eligible for food stamps?

You know you have to show proof of income,even if food stamps don't mess it up,with your current income you can't sponsor her

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Are you making enough money to even file the K1? The petitioner has to make $18,000 a year to be eligible, otherwise you will need a sponsor.

08/01/12-Married08/17/12-Applied for Social Security Card09/23/12-Husband received his Social Security card!09/27/12-Filed AOS09/28/12-AOS package received10/01/12-Text message from USCIS10/03/12-Check cashed10/09/12-NOA1 for I485,I765,I131 AND Biometrics Appointment Letter10/24/12-Biometrics Appointment12/11/12-EAD and AP Approved-75 days12/14/12-EAD/AP Card Production ordered12/21/12-EAD/AP Card came in the mail06/22/13-Green Card Approved06/27/13-Greed Card Production Ordered06/29/13-Green Card came in the mail<p>

04/09/15-Mailed ROC

04/10/2015-Package received

04/14/2015-Check cashed

06/02/2015-Called Service Center (still no NOA1) Service request found out wrong address on paperwork! :(

06/03/2015-Called to get address updated Ar11 online add change didnt work-got infopass for June 10th

06/10/2015-Went to info pass appt. Hubby got a 1yr. Extension stamp in his passport and biometrics done

08/12/2015-ROC Approved. Got letter in the mail.

08/29/2015-received new card in the mail.

Timeline

Thanks guys, but I had already assumed that I was going to come up short if I tried to sponsor her by myself. Her brother in law is the sponsor right now for her tourist visa (5yrs) & I am trying to get my stepdad (Ret. US Navy)to be the co-sponsor for her K1. I was really wanting to know what impact me trying to get foodstamps would have on her K1 eligibiity. I don't plan on being on them for long & I honestly don't even want to be on them, but it would be a much needed help right now. Thanks again

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have tried to do some research about this topic, but I can't seem to find an answer that I can feel comfortable with. What I want to know is whether or not me apply for Food Stamps will mess up my fiances K1 eligibility or not. I do have a job & I am working full-time, but I just need a little help right now. I'm only making about $1,000 a month & am hoping to go back to college soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry, I don't BUY this post: Not the Food Stamp question but the way I interpit it.

On $1,000.00 per month a single person would qualify for Food Stamps. That effect on USCIS may show or may not. But, $ 1,000.00 per month if you did your research is very short of USCIS Poverty Requirements.

You state: You are working Full-time now. NO. Not in the USA. Even at the lowest wage you have to be making at least $ 348.00 per week (40 hours) X 52 weeks = $ 18,096.00 per year but still is short $ 600.00 to Guildlines. (Based on $ 8.70 per hour - 40 hours per week X 52 weeks)

I'm just saying: (thinking) You can't be working full-time and only have a Gross Income of $ 1,000.00 per month.

YOU TELL ME.

Remember, its not the Net Income on your Check from your Employer but the Gross Income that USCIS looks at....

I'll give you a little "Cute" Calculator on the Link below... Better to make more than less. And NEVER say your working Full-Time and make $ 1,000.00 per month to USCIS and/or to DHS for Food Stamps.

http://www.freebiecreditreport.com/incomecalculator.php

Good Luck !

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

Thanks guys, but I had already assumed that I was going to come up short if I tried to sponsor her by myself. Her brother in law is the sponsor right now for her tourist visa (5yrs) & I am trying to get my stepdad (Ret. US Navy)to be the co-sponsor for her K1. I was really wanting to know what impact me trying to get foodstamps would have on her K1 eligibiity. I don't plan on being on them for long & I honestly don't even want to be on them, but it would be a much needed help right now. Thanks again

Here is the deal, your step dad won't fall under 100% of poverty guidelines, because he is not active duty.what you need to know is that he makes enough money to support his dependents AND your fiancee.read the guys and make sure you have all the information before filing

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You state: You are working Full-time now. NO. Not in the USA. Even at the lowest wage you have to be making at least $ 348.00 per week (40 hours) X 52 weeks = $ 18,096.00 per year but still is short $ 600.00 to Guildlines. (Based on $ 8.70 per hour - 40 hours per week X 52 weeks)

Where do you get $8.70 being the lowest hourly wage in the US? The federal minimum is only $7.25, and different states have different wage laws based on several different factors. For example, some states pay tip earners and students less. There is also such a thing as being an independent contractor, which means minimums do not even apply because independent contractors are not subject to the laws and benefits of being an employee. $8.70 is NOT the lowest amount someone can earn per hour in the US.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Where do you get $8.70 being the lowest hourly wage in the US? The federal minimum is only $7.25, and different states have different wage laws based on several different factors. For example, some states pay tip earners and students less. There is also such a thing as being an independent contractor, which means minimums do not even apply because independent contractors are not subject to the laws and benefits of being an employee. $8.70 is NOT the lowest amount someone can earn per hour in the US.

Good point! Plus, the OP said they are brining home about $1000. After taxes and insurance etc - that could very well be likely even if they maid $8.70. It sounds like they know they will need a sponsor - they are just wondering about the legalities of having assistance while applying for a K1.

Now, I may be 110% wrong, but from what I've read on here, people have had food stamps for their children while applying for the K1 before. So, I'm assuming as the USC you can apply for it - I think the government is most worried about the beneficiary - and that they will not receive any type of assistance. I'm hoping that somebody with more knowledge comes along and can answer the original question for you :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

It's perfectly legal for the USC to receive food stamps and other benefits, and you receiving food stamps shouldn't affect the K1 procedure. However, if the petitioner/USC has been on benefits for most of their lives and it clearly shows a pattern then it is indeed up to the IO to determine the likelyhood of the beneficiary becoming a public charge. That's why the petitioner is always the primary sponsor.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Timeline

Ok, so I'm still a little confused. Here's what I have going on. I make $9/hr & I usually work about 35hrs/ week (full-time according to most employers). $9 x 35hrs = $315. After taxes I usually bring home about $288, so that's what I usually base my budget & all of my finances on. When filling out any financial information on forms I do use my earnings amount from before taxes unless it asks for my total take home amount. I really don't know if I would even be eligible for foodstamps, like I said, I don't want to do it & I haven't really tried to research it that much. I do feel like it would help me until I can find an extra or better job though. I just thought that I would ask on here to see if it would affect the K1 process first.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Ok, so I'm still a little confused. Here's what I have going on. I make $9/hr & I usually work about 35hrs/ week (full-time according to most employers). $9 x 35hrs = $315. After taxes I usually bring home about $288, so that's what I usually base my budget & all of my finances on. When filling out any financial information on forms I do use my earnings amount from before taxes unless it asks for my total take home amount. I really don't know if I would even be eligible for foodstamps, like I said, I don't want to do it & I haven't really tried to research it that much. I do feel like it would help me until I can find an extra or better job though. I just thought that I would ask on here to see if it would affect the K1 process first.

I don't think single men without dependent children are eligible for food stamps. I believe senior citizens and single parents with children can receive them (depending on income level).

Off topic for just a second... I'm not demeaning you at all, but how on earth can you even think about getting married with your current financial situation? Just the petition ($340) will be 1/3 of your monthly income. The medical and physical will be more than 1/2 of what you earn in a month and AOS fees are MORE than what you earn in a month?

$1000 net per month will not cloth, feed and shelter 2 people - no matter how simple the lifestyle.

I'd consider a second job with better advancement opportunities before you start the process wherein you are totally responsible for another individual.

Hope I have not offended you.

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Filed: Other Country: Guyana
Timeline

Dont know if this will help much but i know of someone that did the K1 visa for her right now husband and she use to use the Benefit food card that is offered (think its some what equivalent to food stamps)and now that her husband had a good job i believe she said his tax returns was low because of it. the money she use to get yearly from the Benefit card was taken out of his salary or something to that effect.

So from that I'd say it pretty much affect you in some way.

This was a scenario i know of, anyone feel free to add... :whistle:

Ro

Jun 02, 2011- Applied for I-129F (I-129F) Visa

USCIS

Jun 08, 2011- NOA1 Received I-129F

Jun 13, 2011- USCIS Acceptance confirmation (via Email)

Jun 16, 2011- Received NOA1 Hardcopy

Nov 15, 2011- Put in Service Request (Over 5months)

Nov 23, 2011- Response via email to SR (case "Pending")

Nov 28, 2011- Wrote letter to My district's Representative thru webpage (Gregory Meeks)

Dec 02, 2011- Went to the Local Reps office to have them look into the case further

Dec 07, 2011- Wrote email to the vermont service center ( the got back to me Dec 20, of course to tell me I was approved due to the congressman's inquiry)

Dec 08, 2011- Congressman/Local Rep's inquiry made

Dec 09, 2011- USCIS Text/Email with approval (NOA2) 6 months and 2 days

Dec 14, 2011- Receive NOA2 Hardcopy

NVC

Dec 14, 2011 NVC Received -Got Case number(YAY)

Dec 16, 2012 NVC Left

Consulate

Dec 28, 2011 Consulate Received Case

Dec 28, 2011 Packet 3 Received (via email upon my request)

Dec 29, 2011 Packet 3 Sent

Jan 05, 2012 Packet 4 Received

Jan 25, 2012 Interview

Jan 28, 2012 VISA IN HAND! Yay!

Feb 18, 2012 Hand in hand; NYC Bound to enjoy the COLD with me....staying warm of course *wink wink* \

Mar 24, 2012 OUR BIG DAY

May 07, 2012 Mailed AOS, EAD and AP( Express 2 day )

May 09, 2012 Packet received and signed for

May 11, 2012 Email/Text receipt

God you know my heart and its desire, I'll wait for your time :)

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

It's perfectly legal for the USC to receive food stamps and other benefits, and you receiving food stamps shouldn't affect the K1 procedure. However, if the petitioner/USC has been on benefits for most of their lives and it clearly shows a pattern then it is indeed up to the IO to determine the likelyhood of the beneficiary becoming a public charge. That's why the petitioner is always the primary sponsor.

Wrong. One of the things you must show to the CO is that they beneficiary won't be a public burden. If the petitioner is on food stamps then they are themselves a "public burden" and their fiancee will be also. I know someone who was on government and union disability and more than double the poverty guidelines but they were rejected at the consulate because of this.

another concerning thing with the OP is the tourist visa bit. My first impression is this will turn in to one of those "my fiancee is here on a tourist visa and we want to adjust status" situations.

My advice to the petitioner is to get your financial house in order and then start the process. Yes it is difficult to wait but it is just as difficult to try to support a family if you can't afford to support yourself.

Edited by Casprd

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Timeline

I don't think single men without dependent children are eligible for food stamps. I believe senior citizens and single parents with children can receive them (depending on income level).

Off topic for just a second... I'm not demeaning you at all, but how on earth can you even think about getting married with your current financial situation? Just the petition ($340) will be 1/3 of your monthly income. The medical and physical will be more than 1/2 of what you earn in a month and AOS fees are MORE than what you earn in a month?

$1000 net per month will not cloth, feed and shelter 2 people - no matter how simple the lifestyle.

I'd consider a second job with better advancement opportunities before you start the process wherein you are totally responsible for another individual.

Hope I have not offended you.

No offense taken. I know that it does sound kinda crazy, but I don't plan on being at this income level forever & I am looking for a better or extra job right now. I have about 7yrs experience in all areas of landscaping & about 5yrs experience in sales & management. I also have some of my own landscaping equipment, have access to a huge wealth of knowledge, & have a consultant who has over 30yrs in the business. I am currently working at an outdoor equipment shop where I can get a substantial discount on equipment & have work done for almost nothing. So for right now, I'm just trying to set myself up for starting my own business & being able to survive the first 5yrs of business. My fiance also owns her own private school in Indonesia, where she has about 75 student currently enrolled & even does private tutoring & mobile learning where they will come to you. Right now things are a little hard, but with a little bit of hard work I think that we are set up to be very successful in the future.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.