kev_n_jena

Savings

Savings  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How much $ in savings and checking (not retirement) did you/will you have when your SO arrived/arrives in the US?

• <Zero, I'm was/am broke or in debt
    • greater than 50% of my annual income
    • greater than 100% of my annual income
    • greater than 200% of my annual income
    • I'm independently wealthy
    • I have no income or money

12 posts in this topic

Votes are NOT public

I've read so many posts on this forum about peoeple being broke when their fiance, wife/husband, or family member are about to arrive. I'm curious about the %'s.

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I don't agree with the options. I'm not sure whether my husband had savings in the realm of your choices.. 0% to then 50% ? That's a large jump. Assuming poverty lines you're saying around $9K in savings.

My answer is he wasn't living up to his means so adding an extra person didn't increase the burden too much and his sole income is sufficient to support us. I don't know if he had that much in savings but I had around $2K

I don't agree with the options. I'm not sure whether my husband had savings in the realm of your choices.. 0% to then 50% ? That's a large jump. Assuming poverty lines you're saying around $9K in savings.

My answer is he wasn't living up to his means so adding an extra person didn't increase the burden too much and his sole income is sufficient to support us. I don't know if he had that much in savings but I had around $2K

You're right, I should have given more choices between 0 and 50%.

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

We had about about $8000 in savings when I came over.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Yeah you might want redo this poll. I had about 15,000 or so. Then came the deductions lol.

- 1900 ish for visa and travel expenses.

- 5000 ish for an engagement ring.

I'm rapidly rebuilding my savings towards house deposit(s) but at one point just after AOS I was as low as 3,000. Its pretty expensive this immigration stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably around $7000 and it didn't drop even after we got married. We decided to have a courthouse wedding, in-laws wanted us to have a renewal of vows with them and paid for it and received a little less than 3t as gifts(cash). It's not much but I think my husband and I had a good start.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline

I think one of my poll questions would be - was the US Citizen completely truthful to his/her significant other before they arrived about their financial situation/history?!!!

I still have 15K on my student loans, but it'll be forgiven via a Federal Grant by the end of 2012 (I work in the Inner City Schools).

I put the first option, b/c I'll have about 5-7k by the time he gets here (depending on how many months until he gets here).

Also a great question. I've been totally honest with my fiance about my financial situation, as I've lived on my own for a long time now. He also knows about my mistakes resulting in an average credit score. lol. We don't hide anything. He knows all my "secrets."

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity. " ~ Louis Pasteur.

Met Online - 01/2010
Met in Person - 12/21/2010

Engaged - 12/31/2010

File - 07/26/2011

NOA1 - 08/02/2011

NOA2 - 12/22/2011 (e-mail notice)
Visa Approved - 03/13/2012

Married - 03/31/2012 <3

*Started the AOS process a bit late cuse I'm a slacker and suck

But, we've had no issues. It's coming along. Interview should

be shortly coming. Married life is great*

jest.gif

• 9 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Why does it matter? should be personal business of what how much money a person has.

well, getting married it a "joint" venture by default, and unless there is going to be a celebrity-like prenup both sides deserve to know all the assets and obligations of the other one.

I find it hard to have 50% of the salary in savings at the age of 25-30; most people I know consider themself doing good if they have a college degree, no loans, and a reasonably paying job when they hit 30.