xocanin

I think we screwed up...

45 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi guys,

We got married on the 19th at the local county courthouse, in jeans and sneakers and t-shirts, and only his mother was present. The reason for that was that we are just not able to have a "real wedding" right now, because we are extremely broke -- we literally had to borrow money for the license and marriage fee, that's how bad things are -- and since we're not religious, it didn't feel like a big deal to us to just have it done this way now and just worry about an actual ceremony when and if we can afford it. Things are just... really bad here and I need to be able to start working ASAP so we kind of rushed it for that reason too.

Of course we look extremely happy and in love on the photos, but I just realized that the way we were dressed and the fact that we didn't have a party (we went to a fancy restaurant with my MIL afterwards to celebrate, but there were no other guests) might make people think that we didn't care about our wedding or something. Am I wrong to assume that we may have accidentally created a red flag for my AOS by not dressing up and having a "proper" wedding? If so, what can we do to fix this problem? We don't have plans for a ceremony anytime soon, for obvious reasons. :(

I came here on a K1 and we have not yet started the AOS because we're now very concerned about this.

Also, I have a couple more questions:

1. I've decided to take his last name, but I don't have any documents with my new name yet. Will I receive anything before the AOS interview that has my new name on it, which I can use to change my name on our joint account? I understand that having a joint account is good evidence and we do have one, but I've got my maiden name on it since I didn't have photo ID with my legal name when we opened it.

2. We are (as I mentioned above) fairly poor at the moment. My husband is permanently disabled (we have a co-sponsor, that's why I had no problem getting the visa) and I can't work yet. We don't drive, so we don't have a car (or car insurance), and we rent, so we have no property or anything else that might have both of our names on it. I want to include my name on the lease for the apartment, but they refuse to do it because I don't have a SSN yet and as far as I understand it, I cannot get one yet. My question is, what can we bring as evidence in a situation like this? The only thing that has both of our names on it is the bank account, and I can't change my maiden name on it until I have some sort of photo ID that has my new name on it...

Sorry if this is all very complicated. I'm just really clueless and we don't know what to do. Oh, I'm in Texas. Not sure if that's relevant or not.

12/23/2010 - filed

05/02/2011 - petition approved

07/19/2011 - interview (approved!!!!!)

08/16/2011 - POE Houston TX

09/19/2011 - married!

I would say if your that worried about pictures go back to the courthouse dressed up and take some pictures, they will never know its not on the day but the main thing you need to show is your married!! You have your marriage certificate right?

As for the lease, if they cannot add you to the lease can they at least write a letter to say that you both live at xyz and that they have been unable to add you to the lease because you do not have a SSN. The only evidence i had was my lease and my joint bank account. We did have a bigger wedding so we brought the pictures, wedding cards etc but honestly she only looked through all of the pictures cause she was nosey!

Again, as soon as you apply for AOS apply for your work visa and when that comes through go straight to the SS Office and get your SSN. You never know, you may get it before you get your interview but remember, they know we face all these hurdles so i would not stress as much.

AOS Visa Journey

28/06/2010 - POE Chicago 28th June 2010

10/09/2010 - Married in ATL, GA

05/10/2010 - Sent AOS Package to USCIS

06/10/2010 - AOS Package received at Chicago Lockbox

14/10/2010 - Email/Text sent from USCIS to say they had received our AOS and NOA1 was in the mail

18/10/2010 - NOA1 Received via Mail

22/10/2010 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

08/11/2010 - Biometrics Appointment

18/12/2010 - Letter received for interview appointment

21/12/2010 - Received EAD and AP

21/01/2011 - Interview!

AOS APPROVED!

03/25/2011 - Green Card Received

Did you apply for a social security card after you were here for ten days? That would be your first American ID. I see you do not have a timeline so it is hard to say.

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Filed: Other Timeline

It would be highly unusual for a couple that entered on a K-1 and got married within the 90-day time frame to get denied. You certainly won't be denied for any of the reasons you mentioned. You got married in a courthouse, and it's a legal marriage and you have a marriage certificate, so you fulfilled the requirements of the K-1.

Your marriage certificate is the one document that will allow you to change your name.

It's quite normal that a couple that just moved in together doesn't have a truckload of evidence yet.

Don't worry too much; if your marriage is genuine, then no I.O. will hold it against you that you are on a super-tight budget right now.

Relax.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Most people marry in the court in regular clothes and then have a cheap dinner.

We went to buffalo wild wings with friends after our wedding. We never included not 1 photo with AOS. We never were RFEd or asked for photos at all and approved without interview.

I saw a couple married at the court house ( a USC and a Mexican citizen) in regular clothes who said they were having their " reception " at subway...

You are over thinking it.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Most people marry in the court in regular clothes and then have a cheap dinner.

We went to buffalo wild wings with friends after our wedding. We never included not 1 photo with AOS. We never were RFEd or asked for photos at all and approved without interview.

I saw a couple married at the court house ( a USC and a Mexican citizen) in regular clothes who said they were having their " reception " at subway...

You are over thinking it.

Exactly, we got married in the courthouse, just ourselves. The IO understands alot of ppl dont have money for big weddings, Our officer didnt even ask for wedding pictures. Just have other forms of proof of marriage, mingle of finances and etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Casual wedding is no issue.

1. Make sure you write your married name on the AOS forms, and your maiden in "other names used". You can change the name on your bank accunt with just your marriage certificate... that's what I did.

2. What about phones? I'm not ON the bill but my name is on the mailing address.

As others have said, K1's CAN be approved without interview. I personally sent ONLY what was required from the forms (see the AOS thread in my signature) and was approved without RFE or interview. in the event you DO have an interview you could submit Wills, affidavits from friends and family, cards from friends and family, some people print photos from FB showing friends comment on photos of them together. Once you get the EAD you could get your licence (even if you don't drive yet). What about health insurance?

You were eligible for a SSN when you arrived and have until day 76 to request a SSN at the SSA. Your signature says August 10 you landed. That means your "SSA deadline" (before getting an EAD which allows you to as well) is: October 25, 2011. You still have time. Head down to the SSA with you passport (I-94 and visa) and your marriage certificate and apply for it based on your K1 visa. You ARE eligible, don't let them tell you you're not. If you have any trouble come back and ask about it (or make sure you have the SSA number in your mobile before you head to the SSA so if your local office gives you problems call the head office while you're still there, tell them you're RIGHT outside and can they call someone and tell them you're coming right back in to sort it out).

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

You don't need to submit evidence of your marriage/relationship (besides the required documents for AOS, like the marriage certificate) unless you have an interview (IF you have an interview). You still have time to start documenting your marriage and putting both your names on bills, leases, cell phone plans, etc.

We just filled out all the required AOS forms and supporting documents requested and the green card was approved. We did not send in any photos, joint apartment leases, or bills when we sent our AOS package in. We lucked out and did not have to have another interview but if we did, we were ready with our names on the same leases/bills/etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Don't sweat the big wedding, my husband was wearing jeans and a t-shirt and I wore a simple dress, my father in law was wearing his work clothes LOL. It's not a big deal relax :)

event.png

Adjustment of Status

AOS packet sent - 08/24/2011
AOS packet received - 08/31/2011
Checks cashed - 09/01/2011
NOA received - 09/6/2011
Biometrics appointment - 09/19/2011 - Done
RFE received - tax returns 2010 and original birth certificate - 9/19/2011
RFE sent 09/28/2011
EAD Card Production 10/20/2011
EAD Received 10/29/2011
Interview letter received 11/1/2011 Interview on 12/5/2011
Applied for SSN - will receive in 2 weeks
SSN Received
Interview - APPROVED!!! (Thank Allah)
Green card in hand 12/12/2011

Lifting Conditions

I-751 sent - 09/05/13

I-751 received - 09/06/13

Check cashed - 09/11/13

NOA received - 09/12/13

Biometrics Notice received - 09/19/13

Biometrics Done - 10/07/13

Case transferred to CSC - 10/08/13

Card Production Notice - 1/22/14

Card in Hand - 1/29/14 (Thank Allah)

Naturalization

N-400 sent - 12/29/14

Received - 12/31/14

Check Cashed - 1/7/15

NOA Received- 1/12/15

Biometrics - 1/29/15

Interview Done - Passed!

Citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Yea,

I am not sure why you're worried, we did the same thing.. I actually did wear slacks and my wife had bought a cheap dress... After all the flights, visa fees, etc, we also were having to watch our expenses.. I am actually embarrased to show our wedding photos...

Don't sweat it..

Edited by kennym

I wouldn't worry yourself over this. Our marriage was extremely simple. We only have 4 or 5 pics of us together and we were not super dressed up. We are also hurting for money ourselves and plan to have a small reception in a couple of months after we have saved some money. Maybe you two can do the same. I think it is understandable that we have spent quite a bit of money at this point and not everyone can afford a lavish wedding and others don't want one. They care that you two married each other for the right reasons and you two will have an opportunity to prove that to them during your interview.

Best of luck to you both! :thumbs:

12-27-2010: I-129F arrived at USCIS sent packet on 12/23

12-29-2010: Notice date on NOA1

12-31-2010: Check cleared

01-02-2011: NOA1 received via SMS & E-Mail

01-06-2011: NOA1 hardcopy received via USPS[/color]

2-17-2011:Touched

04/12/2011:NOA2!!!!!

4-18-11: Received by NVC

4-20-11: Left NVC

4-24-11: Received by the consulate in Abu Dhabi

4-27-11:Received both packet 3 & 4 via e-mail from Abu Dhabi

7-25-11:Interview date-Administrative Processing

8-3-11:Administrative Processing ended - APPROVED!!!!!! :D

8-25-11:POE-SFO

9-10-11:Married!!!

9-26-11:Sent AOS Packet

10-6-11:Received NOA1s via text and E-mail

10-9-11:NOA1 hardcopies received, along with biometrics appointment letter

10-25-11:Biometrics Appointment

event.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nowhere in the USCIS paperwork does it say that marriage is only for the rich. Not everyone can afford a big wedding. That doesn't make them less eligible for gaining status here. Many people get married at the courthouse in plain clothes. We saw many people waiting to get married when we got our license.

my thoughts to you is don't worry about the wedding. If the IO asks about it then just tell the truth. They should be fine with it. What you should do is focus on what you can do. Try to get your name on some of the utility bills and get a letter from the landlord stating that you live in the apartment and that they would not change the lease because you dont have a SSN. Take as many pictures as possible with family and friends and if he has any insurance get your name on as a beneficiary.

Good Luck!!

AOS Timeline

06-28-2010 AOS Packet Sent

07-07-2010 Check Cashed $1010 Ugh!

07-09-2010 NOAs received (I-485,I-130,I-765)

07-14-2010 Biometrics appointment letter received

07-14-2010 RFE (I-864)

07-22-2010 Biometrics appointment

08-20-2010 Submitted RFE Reply I-864

08-24-2010 RFE material received

08-26-2010 Email from USCIS EAD Card Approved

09-03-2010 EAD card received!!!

09-08-2010 Notification of interview date (Oct 12th, 2010)

10-12-2010 Interview-Approved!!!!!

10-26-2010 Green Card Arrived!!!!!!!!

No USCIS till 2012. Wohoooooo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Oh wow, thanks everyone for replying! I'm relieved to know that not having a big wedding isn't a problem. Also glad that we weren't the only ones who got married in jeans! :lol:

Okay, so hold on -- I CAN get a SSN? I was told by several people that I cannot get one with a K-1 visa and that I am only eligible when I have a valid work permit, a US photo ID of some sort or a green card with my legal (married) name on it. I have no US ID of any kind or anything that has my married name on it yet. I don't drive so no driver's license and I don't qualify for a Texas state ID. The bank didn't let me change my name on our account without a photo ID, even though we brought our marriage certificate...

Also, I was under the impression that everyone had interviews, but you're all saying "if" we have one? So some people get approved without an interview? My mind is blown. How common is that?

Oh, and I don't have a timeline because I'm a little paranoid about posting personal information online and it asked for our full names etc. I got my visa on July 21st, arrived here Aug 16th, married Sept 19th and my I-94 expires November 14.

Thank you all for the replies, I feel much better now!

Edited by xocanin

12/23/2010 - filed

05/02/2011 - petition approved

07/19/2011 - interview (approved!!!!!)

08/16/2011 - POE Houston TX

09/19/2011 - married!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Oh wow, thanks everyone for replying! I'm relieved to know that not having a big wedding isn't a problem. Also glad that we weren't the only ones who got married in jeans! :lol:

Okay, so hold on -- I CAN get a SSN? I was told by several people that I cannot get one with a K-1 visa and that I am only eligible when I have a valid work permit, a US photo ID of some sort or a green card with my legal (married) name on it. I have no US ID of any kind or anything that has my married name on it yet. I don't drive so no driver's license and I don't qualify for a Texas state ID. The bank didn't let me change my name on our account without a photo ID, even though we brought our marriage certificate...

Also, I was under the impression that everyone had interviews, but you're all saying "if" we have one? So some people get approved without an interview? My mind is blown. How common is that?

Oh, and I don't have a timeline because I'm a little paranoid about posting personal information online and it asked for our full names etc. I got my visa on July 21st, arrived here Aug 16th, married Sept 19th and my I-94 expires November 14.

Thank you all for the replies, I feel much better now!

You can go and get a SSN 10-15 days after your arrival and you can have it in your married name as well, you just take your marriage cert and passport for id. I did that and never had a problem. The bank also put me on the joint account with marriage cert and then I had one here as an non resident alien before I moved here and they changed that to my married name and with SSN. No not everyone has an interview as many who get transferred to CSC California many times don't have an interview which happened to us and also Vanessa and Tony. I never had to send weddig pics off with AOS anyways it was just passport pics marriage cert and proof of our residence so get your SSN and you can go on the lease. Your tie line does not have to have all your personal info names and so on just the your process dates which helps others.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.