haveheart

Proof of having met

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I've been gathering proof of having met within the last two years and I came across some doubts. This is for I-129F:

1.I have plane tickets, greyhound tickets, things under my name mailed to her place (I would actually like to know if it's a good idea to submit this), and tons of pictures together. Is this enough?!

2.Must the pictures meet any preferable characteristic?

i.e: preferably full frontal face of us or us kissing.

3.We skype everyday and facebook message each other all day long. We do not talk on the phone and don't send e-mails to each other. She's coming to Brazil this year so she has the plane ticket to come here. Do these count as enough proof of an ongoing relationship? The only proof of ongoing relationship I have besides those are letters I sent to her and a mail package she sent to me. Should this be ok or should I go after additional things? If so, any hints on that?!

Thank you very much for your time!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If by "plane tickets" you mean boarding passes then those are good, provided they have the date and the passenger's name. On the other hand, if what you've got are essentially receipts for tickets then those are not so good as they only prove someone bought a ticket, but not that they actually traveled. If the boarding passes involve international travel then having passport stamps to back them up is extremely helpful. Things sent through the mail are not evidence you've met.

The pictures do not have to be mushy or overly personal. You should both be recognizable in the photos when compared with your passport pictures. This doesn't mean the photos need to look like mug shots, but they're not of much use if either of your faces are obscured. The USCIS adjudicator will only care if the pictures show you two were together, but selecting pictures that show you're enjoying each other's company can be helpful at the interview.

Relationship evidence isn't required with the petition. If you choose to include it then you're frontloading for the consulate. Whether frontloading will help and what sort of evidence is good to frontload will depend on which consulate you're dealing with, as well as your own personal circumstances. When someone chooses to frontload I usually suggest they do so sparingly (the CO isn't going to look at 100 pages of IM transcripts or Skype records), and to frontload evidence that addresses what you believe might be red flags in your case.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

In my case, passport stamps, boarding passes, and ticket receipts were used -- along with pictures. As for photos, I included ones of us near recognizable places (Mall of Asia, Rizal Park). I also took a couple pics of us standing next to dated event banners. I don't know if it carried any weight, but it showed that we were together prior to an event that took place near the time we claimed to have met. I have also heard of people taking their picture with a daily newspaper.

Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I've been gathering proof of having met within the last two years and I came across some doubts. This is for I-129F:

1.I have plane tickets, greyhound tickets, things under my name mailed to her place (I would actually like to know if it's a good idea to submit this), and tons of pictures together. Is this enough?!

3.We skype everyday and facebook message each other all day long. We do not talk on the phone and don't send e-mails to each other. She's coming to Brazil this year so she has the plane ticket to come here. Do these count as enough proof of an ongoing relationship? The only proof of ongoing relationship I have besides those are letters I sent to her and a mail package she sent to me. Should this be ok or should I go after additional things? If so, any hints on that?!

Primary Evidence: Passport stamps, luggage tags, train passes, plane boarding passes, ATM or bank transactions showing the city and date you claimed to be visiting your fiance. Receipts of landmarks, restaurants or any expenditures incurred during the visits.

Secondary evidence: pictures together-frontal face, not kissing. You do not know if the adjudicator or CO may be offended by looking at intimate pictures. Sounds far-fetched, but you never know. Pictures of you and each others family, friends. Emails, chat logs, phone bills, etc. I recommend you do make a call or two to show it on your phone bill. You must prove communication somehow, meaning, both of you SPEAK the same language. Internet provides translation programs, see?

You can send what you have for now. For the interview, build up your communication and I think you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

I included a few boarding passes. Tickets themselves are not proof that you traveled. I included 6 photos of us together at different times. I also included a page of phone calls and a couple chat pages. No need to overload them with paperwork they will probably not even look at. All they want to know is that you have met in the past 2 years in person.

Good Luck :-)

Sent AOS pack......2011-08-08

NOA's dated ..........2011-08-15

Biometrics..............2011-09-13

EAD card.................2011-10-26

AP card....................2011-10-26

AOS approved .......2011-12-19

Green card rec.......2011-12-27

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

What you have listed is proof of a relationship, not having met. The photos can aid but you need tangible proof of having been in the same place together at the same time.....passport stamps, boarding passes, hotel receipts, etc. The photos are secondary but help with the above evidence.

I would suggest you also generate other types of evidence of the relationship, regardless, like send some emails and send some letters and send some gifts and keep the receipts and have them take a photo fo them with your gift.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Thank you very much for the replies!

I managed to find some credit card receipts from July when I was there, not from when we met. Do they count?

ALSO, I was in the U.S. on a student visa. Would it help if I sent my I-20 or the certificate of attendance from the school?

She was in Dallas, I was in Houston (where the school is) but I would go to Dallas every weekend and I kept ALL the boarding passes!

Thanks a lot!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

ALSO, I was in the U.S. on a student visa. Would it help if I sent my I-20 or the certificate of attendance from the school?

It might help. Also, include a copy of your visa and the passport stamps.

We didn't send a lot of evidence: we had copies of our visas and passport stamps (he's been to Russia 3 times and I've been to the USA 3 times prior filing the petition), my last boarding passes and 8 pictures, in some of the pictures we were with our friends and families. I think that's it.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

hi,

What they wanted from us for proof was pics of us with other people in the pics not just pics of only us.. i sent yahoo chat logs and email and they told my fiance it wasn't enough.. They wanted telephone records.. Even if u use calling cards you need records of the calling cards and also save the hard copy of the calling cards.. I also sent flight records and my boarding pass from the trips i made to see her.. I also sent copies of my passport showing it stamped by immigration from the time i went to visit her..

Nov 9th 2010 Petition received at California Service Center

May 4th 2011 Received petition Approval letter

May 12th 2011 Received Letter from NVC stating info has been forwarded to Lagos consulate office

July 14th 2011 Received Fiancé Visa packet and interview date (via email)

Sept 20th 2011 Interview day! Visa not approved.. Requesting more proof :-(

Sept 28th 2011 Second interview scheduled for early December :-)

Dec 5th 2011 Interview rescheduled consulate office caught fire :-(

Dec 6th 2011 Visa APPROVED!!!! :-D

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Just to clarify; When you use tickets as proof, it's date and year that's important. If they were purchased with a credit card in your name or you bought something in your fiance's area while visiting, then add the bank statement. It usually has your name and date+year on it.

Future trips to see each other are only showing you plan something - I'd save the receipts and use it for the interview as part of ongoing relationship if being asked.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thank you very much for the replies!

I managed to find some credit card receipts from July when I was there, not from when we met. Do they count?

She was in Dallas, I was in Houston (where the school is) but I would go to Dallas every weekend and I kept ALL the boarding passes!

Thanks a lot!

All the evidence of the single meeting (pick one if met up more than once) should refer to that meeting date(s).

Yes, if the meeting you are going to use was your trip to the US on the student visa, then that and the school cert is solid evidence, along with boarding passes (plane tickets are not enough, how do we know you actually got on the plane?) but passport stamps are solid evidence, and are kind of expected.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You are providing proof of MEETING IN PERSON. Skype, emails facebook messages and phone calls are NOT meeting in person. Something mailed to her in your name is NOT meeting in person. You do not need ANY proof of "ongoing relationship" for the petition. Save it for the interview

Photos are secondary evidence, bus boarding passes, plane boarding passes and passport stamps are primary evidence. I sent copies of my boarding passes (tickets do not prove you traveled, you must have the boarding pass) copies of my passport stamps and ONE photo. Photos, at least some of them, should clearly show your faces in a recognizable manner.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In my case, passport stamps, boarding passes, and ticket receipts were used -- along with pictures. As for photos, I included ones of us near recognizable places (Mall of Asia, Rizal Park). I also took a couple pics of us standing next to dated event banners. I don't know if it carried any weight, but it showed that we were together prior to an event that took place near the time we claimed to have met. I have also heard of people taking their picture with a daily newspaper.

Good luck.

Recognizable places in photos are not necessary. It does not matter WHERE you meet in person. There is nothing wrong with it but I would not want someone to think it is necessary. In fact, photos themselves are secondary evidence

hi,

What they wanted from us for proof was pics of us with other people in the pics not just pics of only us.. i sent yahoo chat logs and email and they told my fiance it wasn't enough.. They wanted telephone records.. Even if u use calling cards you need records of the calling cards and also save the hard copy of the calling cards.. I also sent flight records and my boarding pass from the trips i made to see her.. I also sent copies of my passport showing it stamped by immigration from the time i went to visit her..

You are referring to the INTERVIEW, not the petition. The OP asked about the petition. These things are not necessary for the petition.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

for my k1 application, proof of meeting'

I enclosed the following:

engagement ring receipt

engagement dinner photos with family members

airline ticket and boarding passes

hotel room receipts

pictures of us exchanging rings

-- rule of thumb' more evidence is better

I-129F Sent : 2011-07-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-07-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-09-29

NOA2 Approved: 2011-10-01

NOA2 Paper Recv: 2011-10-03

NVC Recv: 2011-10-17

NVC to Embassy Sent: 2011-10-19

Embassy Recv Packet: 2011-10-21

Packet 3.5 Recv'ed: 2011-11-03

Packet 3.5 Sent: 2011-11-05

Interview Date: 2011-12-19

K1 Issued 2012-01-13

POE 2012 -03-14

Marriage 2012-03-19

SSN Received 2012-04-09

Filing AOS 2012-04-11

Biometrics Completed 2012-05-17

EAD Card Received 2012-07-02

Green Card Interview 2012-08-02

Card in Hand 2012-08-14

DONE WITH K1!!!!!!!!!

Thankss everybody! I just feel I have to clear some things up!

I don't have hotel receipts and I don't have bank transactions.

I do have a passport stamp (pretty faded but it's there and all the Duration of Status thing), I have the I-20 of my first school and the I-20 of the school I transferred to. I also have my boarding passes to America and from America. I also have pictures of me and her on her prom day but not pictures of me, her and her parents together.

Would this be enough to establish proof of having met?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.