lbluemoonl

Citizenship denied for lack of good moral character

123 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Provided your initial post is correct. I AM NOT A LAWYER but have directly asked for this answer before when filling out a government form. The answer is unless a judgement of guilty is handed from the judge you answered the question correctly. An arrest in the United States means nothing, you are innocent until proven guilty. You also did not misrepresent on the form, because you were told the case was dismissed. Therefor you were found innocent and it does not exist. I would however make sure your facts are in order. Get the original dismissal notice, if you plead guilty to a lesser offense you were guilty though. Take that to your lawyer and file the appeal. If there is inconsistency in the court order and what your were told, get the court transcripts. You first need to show you did not "Intentionally Misrepresent" this is why where you sign it states you have not KNOWINGLY given false information.

If the question was arrested, you were incorrect. You will need to show how based on the dismissal it was an error/misunderstanding and not an intentionaly misrepresentation.

Good Luck

Actually just went and looked at the form itself. My response was more to the generic question about convictions but this was very specific. The text clearly states ever arrested or detained, and the header states that Regardless if it was sealed or cleared.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Honduras

I-129F Sent : 2010-12-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-12-17

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-05-06

Your I-129f was approved in 140 days from your NOA1 date

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

event.png

[/url]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

On a different note, it is terribly bothersome and tiring when people point to the right-doings of others as part of THEIR moral character. How does it make YOU a good moral character if your spouse is a physician? What have YOU done to deserve citizenship in the US? Apparently, the issue has already been decided; you were denied. Good luck on your appeal.

:thumbs::thumbs: I completly agree. It struck a nerve when the OP said you need to respect a spouse who is fighting, doesn't matter if he is the president, or a garbage man- don't throw it out that someone needs to respect you, and thow the "fighting for our country" card- come on, everyone deserves respect, no matter what they/their spouse does.

Jen

"Canadian in Georgia"

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Provided your initial post is correct. I AM NOT A LAWYER but have directly asked for this answer before when filling out a government form. The answer is unless a judgement of guilty is handed from the judge you answered the question correctly. An arrest in the United States means nothing, you are innocent until proven guilty. You also did not misrepresent on the form, because you were told the case was dismissed. Therefor you were found innocent and it does not exist. I would however make sure your facts are in order. Get the original dismissal notice, if you plead guilty to a lesser offense you were guilty though. Take that to your lawyer and file the appeal. If there is inconsistency in the court order and what your were told, get the court transcripts. You first need to show you did not "Intentionally Misrepresent" this is why where you sign it states you have not KNOWINGLY given false information.

If the question was arrested, you were incorrect. You will need to show how based on the dismissal it was an error/misunderstanding and not an intentionaly misrepresentation.

Good Luck

Actually, from the wording on the actual application (N-400), the OP should have answered Yes to questions 16 & 17 and at least one (if not both) 18 & 19.

16. Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

17. Have you ever been charged with committing any crime or offense?

18. Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense?

19. Have you ever been placed in an alternative sentencing or a rehabilitative program (for example: diversion, deferred prosecution, withheld adjudication, deferred adjudication)?

On June 2004 I had petty incident at Kohls for $15. I wasnt taken to the police station niether handcuffed or fingerprinted but got a ticket for it, went to the court, paid the fine and they told me the case is dismissed and it will be removed from my records.

1. Being issued a ticket is equal to being charged and released on your own recognizance.

2. You don't pay a fine unless you are convicted of something, pleading guilty or No Contest (No Lo Contentre) IS being convicted..

3. Regardless of what they were told, the case wasn't dismissed since they were convicted.

4. "It will be removed from my records" is akin to "Alternative Sentencing". I'll bet the true jist of the situation was, "As long as you aren't arrested for something in the next 6/12/18 months the conviction will be removed from your record".

Filing an appeal wouldn't be my first choice in this case as the appeal must represent that the application was correct and the decision was in error when the facts say otherwise is true.

Edited by Bob 4 Anna

I would go talk to a lawyer and figure out what the next best step is. No one on here is a lawyer, nor are they God. They have neither all the information or the right to judge. Good luck on whatever you decide to do! :thumbs:

June 7, 2010 - Will asked me to marry him, and I said YES!!
October 4, 2010 - Will sent away the I-129F Petition
October 12, 2010 - NOA1 received!
October 15, 2010 - First "touch"
October 18, 2010 - Second "touch"
March 7, 2011 - NOA2!!!
March 18, 2011 - NVC forwarded our case to the Montreal Consulate....NOT where we wanted it to go!
March 25, 2011 - Email from Montreal saying that our case would be forwarded to Vancouver - only took one night for a reply from them smile.png
April 5, 2011 - Vancouver has our package!
April 6, 2011 - Received Packet 3 via email - now just waiting on my police certificate.
April 13, 2011 - faxed Packet 3 to Vancouver
April 14, 2011 - received Packet 4 via email
May 4, 2011 - Medical appointment
May 5, 2011 - Interview!! APPROVED smile.png

June 16, 2011 - POE at Blaine Peace Arch Crossing
June 28, 2011 - Got married by Elvis in Vegas!
Aug 8, 2011 - Received SSN in the mail.

Aug 31, 2011 - Sent off AOS Package
Sept 7, 2011 - Package received by USCIS
Sept 9, 2011 - Notice of Action email for AOS, EAD, and AP.
Sept 16, 2011 - Received my Biometrics Appt. letter for the 30th.
Sept 22, 2011 - RFE sad.png
Sept 30, 2011 - Biometrics Appt.
Oct 26, 2011 - Received interview letter for Dec 1st
Nov 4, 2011 - EAD/AP approved
Nov 12, 2011 - Received combo card in the mail
Dec 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED smile.png
Dec 9, 2011 - Greencard arrived in the mail!

Oct 18, 2013 - I-751 Package signed for at CA Service Center

Mar 5, 2014 - Approved! Awaiting greencard in the mail

Personally I would just wait the 3 years. Apply again in 3 years including this time all the information as to exactly what the incident entailed, and you should be approved. Appealing now may be an option, but it will take a lot of time and energy and stress AND $650 plus lawyer fees. Personally it just doesn't seem worth it. But maybe you have a specific reason why you really want to be naturalized right now, maybe you have the opportunity to get a job that only citizens can do, I don't know.

Filed: Timeline

ya know, some people on this site are soo immature! When somebody asks a question they aren't asking for you to judge them they are asking for your help. SO if you think the person is an idiot than keep it to yourself, YOU can be the bigger person and just not comment on the topic.

Thank you. I was just being honest about telling you all about my situation and just asked for advice. I already admitted that, that was a mistake and I shouldn't be that stupid to do such a thing. But what's done is done. You learn from your mistakes and move on with your life. Some of these users have good points and some comments are just as ignorant as can be and I simply ignore them.

Edited by lbluemoonl

Personally I would just wait the 3 years. Apply again in 3 years including this time all the information as to exactly what the incident entailed, and you should be approved. Appealing now may be an option, but it will take a lot of time and energy and stress AND $650 plus lawyer fees. Personally it just doesn't seem worth it. But maybe you have a specific reason why you really want to be naturalized right now, maybe you have the opportunity to get a job that only citizens can do, I don't know.

You are right. The more I think about it the more I agree with most of you to wait. I think I just paniced when I saw the denial notice. Never thought that would happen because in my heart I knew I told the truth but now I know that I misunderstood the whole question and it backfired me. However, I will talk to my attorny for the final advice and will decide based on his advice.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I really think that if you tried to appeal by saying "I didn't know I needed to disclose my past charges, etc" it will just make you look worse. Follow other's advice and wait that three years.

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

I would go talk to a lawyer and figure out what the next best step is. No one on here is a lawyer, nor are they God. They have neither all the information or the right to judge. Good luck on whatever you decide to do! :thumbs:

I am not a lawyer but I am a paralegal.

Our Timeline

06/23/2006 Happiest day of my life, got married to my lovely Wife!

AOS

11/27/06 I-485 / I-765 Sent (Overnight)

11/28/06 I-485 / I-765 Received

12/01/06 Notice Date for both

12/02/06, 12/04/06, 12/05/06, 12/06/06, 12/10/06, 12/11/06 Touched !!!

12/19/06 Interview letter Issued!

12/26/06 Interview Notice Received!

02/13/07 Interview

08/25/08 Filed Writ of Mandamus (Law Suit) against USCIS, DOS, FBI

09/16/08 Application Approved (IR6)

09/22/08 Card Production Ordered

09/23/08 Welcome Notice Received

09/29/08 10 YR. GC Received!

N-400

07/18/11 N-400 Sent (Overnight) UPS

07/19/11 N-400 Received

08/23/11 Case status changed - FP letter sent

08/26/11 Fingerprint notice received in mail

08/26/11 Early Fingerprints completed

09/13/11 Original Fingerprints scheduled date

08/30/11 Case status updated: In-Line to be scheduled for an interview

09/12/11 Case status updated: Interview is now scheduled

09/15/11 Interview letter received!

10/19/11 Interview at Santa Ana, CA - I-130 is not approved in file

10/19/11 RFE issued

10/27/11 RFE response received and is being reviewed - even though I didn't get any RFE or responded to one!

11/11/11 Notification for Placed in que for oath ceremony

11/15/11 Notification for Oath being scheduled

11/18/11 N-445 Oath letter received

12/15/11 Oath Ceremony - Its all over! I AM FINALLY A US CITIZEN!

No he brought her to the US legally she came in on a tourist visa. They were given information that this was OK to do even though it was not and it back fired on them. That is NOT terrorism and they were married AND!!!!!!!! she did not enter illegally.

can anyone pls kindly forward the link regarding this German lady?

Thank you so much

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.