hoping4happiness

Egypt - Pregnant - Should She Tell Him?

37 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

When I got married in Egypt the man that married us told me right there you realize that if your husband does not want you to leave Egypt he can make you stay even if you are a American citizen. The way things work in Egypt the man has the power, it would take a lot to work with the Embassy to get her out of there. It is in the marriage contract. If she is in fear then she should go on ahead home and then tell him.

I'm sorry not the man that married us, it was the translator from the Embassy that works for them that translated that for me. So the embassy is full aware of the laws there.

i believe the man told you wrong my sister is married to an Egyptian even her husband said your from the USA all you have to do is shout and the officer will arrest me not you USA persons married to Egyptian or not have more power then Egyptian in Egypt..her marriage contract also does not have that in it.....why would anyone agree to a marraige contract that has that? I'm Muslim and i would never agree to that

just my opinion

sara

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

back to the OP question..

should she tell the hubby NOW or later.

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

back to the OP question..

should she tell the hubby NOW or later.

Ok.

If a foreign woman is in Egypt, and pregnant with an Egyptian man's child, can he stop her from leaving the country?

No.

I repeat: NO.

Contrary to what a translator, a translator that came from a list of translators that the Embassy passes out upon request, said/implied/construed/outright lied about, he cannot prevent her from leaving the country - pregnant or not - and if he tries, he will be imprisoned.

The only "control" the marriage contract "gives" is what she allows.

Should she tell him about it before or after she comes home?

Now, then beg him to come back with her and sort out their marriage where she's a little more comfortable. If he's committed to the marriage, he will understand that he's had time with his family in Egypt and it's important to work on his marriage. Besides, he should have seen that in American hospitals, women don't give birth in facilities with constant cigarette smoking all about, stray cats under beds, and circa 1950s equipment not to mention the rampant transmission of Hepatitis. Wouldn't he want that for his child, no matter how their marriage turns out?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

In my opinion, she should wait until she is back in the US to tell him. He COULD stop her, if he really wanted to. Foreign citizens, American or not, have to abide by the laws of whatever country they are in...I believe that in Egypt, a man has a right to say whether or not his wife may travel without him or not. I know in Lebanon I had to carry a document with me when I flew into and out of the country that was in English and Arabic giving me permission to travel with our child. It's better to be safe than sorry in my book. Unless she really really wants to live there, because that IS a realistic possibility, at least until she gives birth...

OUR TIMELINE:

Met online: June 5, 2006

Met in person: February 5, 2007

Marriage: February 24, 2007 in Beirut, Lebanon

I-130 Sent: July 23, 2007

NOA1: September 4, 2007

Daughter Born: October 27, 2007

NOA2 (Both 1-130 & I-129): March 12, 2008

NVC receives I-129F, case # assigned: April 4, 2008 (They NEVER receive the I-130)

Interview Date: August 12, 2008

Visa in hand, 1 month exactly of AP/AR/name checks: September 12, 2008 (whoot! whoot!)

POE: October 16, 2008 (praying all goes smoothly!)

Abed arrives in Lexington, KY (FINALLY! What a rough trip for him!): October 17, 2008, 8:47am EST

Adjustment of Status:

Sent in April 16, 2009

Received NOA1 in mail: April 29, 2009

Biometrics Appt: May 13, 2009

RFE: May 11, 2009 (received May 14, 2009)

Sent in RFE (that we had already included in the original packet!): May 26, 2009

Resumed Processing: June 1, 2009

EAD Card Production Ordered: June 10, 2009 (thank you GOD!!)

Received EAD card: June 20, 2009

2nd Daughter Born: July 13, 2009

Interview Date: July 31, 2009...easy, breezy...Card Production Ordered!

Received 10 year green card : August 14, 2009

Baby Boy is born: May 17, 2012

Apply for Citizenship: October 22, 2012

Interview: January 11, 2013

Oath Date: April 12, 2013 (Covington, KY)

done Done and DONE!!! Praise God!

Now we get to work on getting his family to the US!!

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Seriously... tell her not to tell him until she gets back here...she can get here and like a few weeks later call him up OMG 7abibi im pregnant blah blah...play it arab style tell him she doesnt feel well etc. she needs help yada yada....dont do it before you leave... its too much of a risk... because baby or not if she is his wife, legally in egypt (or islamically in that matter) he can call the airport and she cannot leave...embassy or no embassy they cant do anything for you...and im not some crazy american person with some type of Bias...I am Arab muslim etc. trust me it can happen, the rights of a man in a ME country are endless, and when his baby is involved its even worse

So she can take his child and run and use the baby as a weapon...come here or your not seeing your baby...really....your just saying that because you are a woman not more and your info is wrong ...actually if they got married in the US , he wont be able to do anything but if they got married here he will...so just stop being selfish and sexiest ...you don't know her or him...she might be a scared bad woman or a scared good woman....dunno....but u must put everything in mind ...

yes but with the Kitab in the country it changes things... I am assuming she has become part of his family book etc. Us marriage is different then a Marriage in egypt (Us marriage alone actually isnt even recognized in egypt when it is with an egyptian man/woman) this is why in the ME you see alot of men marrying someone in the US and then marrying someone else in their home country with no problems...Unless you have our kitab/legal marriage in THAT country

Marrying at the Ministry of justice is the same as marrying by Maazon...my wife is american and my brothers wife is egyptian...he went and got a family background check for the army...then it was listed there that i was married...so trust me...your giving out a lot of wrong info..please stop it..and btw i live in Egypt and am muslim

So, it was written into your marriage contract that you were not free to travel? Is that what you're saying because mine says nothing of it.

Whatever.

What matters here is that you insist her husband can detain her. Color me silly, but I wouldn't take legal advice from a translator. I would, and have, listened carefully to every bit of advice the U.S. Embassy in Cairo had to offer.

SHE IS FREE TO LEAVE.

She is free to leave UNLESS he goes to the airport police or the place where he makes his passport and report that he doesn't want her to leave....

i believe the man told you wrong my sister is married to an Egyptian even her husband said your from the USA all you have to do is shout and the officer will arrest me not you USA persons married to Egyptian or not have more power then Egyptian in Egypt..her marriage contract also does not have that in it.....why would anyone agree to a marraige contract that has that? I'm Muslim and i would never agree to that

just my opinion

sara

Well, am sorry but your wrong there and he gave her a false info or not complete...i will tell you how it works....she has more right and power in 1 case only ...if she had a problem with someone in the street but not her HUSBAND ....if with her husband...she really can't do anything....but with any other person..she can screw him.

she should be honest with her husband with out honesty and trust what kind of marriage is it?

just my opinon

sara

Your right there

So she can take his child and run and use the baby as a weapon...come here or your not seeing your baby...really....your just saying that because you are a woman not more and your info is wrong ...actually if they got married in the US , he wont be able to do anything but if they got married here he will...so just stop being selfish and sexiest ...you don't know her or him...she might be a scared bad woman or a scared good woman....dunno....but u must put everything in mind ...

I am an american citizen and i gave birth in this hell and that was with insurance from lawyers council and the highest recommendations and against better advice. Simply because i did not want to have my son without my husband and this was his first. If i had a pound for everytime i heard a horror story from a foreigner who birthed here hahahahaha i would be rich. The other poster is right, there are hospitals here that have stray cats that have been known to carry off infants as well as babies being taken for the black market. The doctors for the most part can and do "buy their degrees" and i spent my entire pregnancy trying to find a legitimate doctor who i trusted and at the end what did i get? I got a dr who went against my wishes to have my husband present, have an epidural so i'd be alert for my son, and did not even visit me afterwards. By the way by the time i awoke my son had already been fed formula and never would nurse.

Neither did the nurses seemed to concerned when they ignored my call light and refused to take care of me. My husband had to "tip" the nurses to get me a shower...

and ohhhh one more thing....some lady was gooing and gaaing at my son thinking it was her new grandchild and got into an argument with my husband over whose baby he was because the nurses failed to put on his wrist id..

yeah right husbands rights, don't make me laugh. :bonk:

she is a us citizen and she has the right to live in her country and if he don't like it he should not married her and have kids with her.

What happens in Jordan is not what happens in Lebanon, and what happens in Lebanon is not what happens in Egypt.

One more time for people who don't like to read: In EGYPT, an Egyptian husband CANNOT restrict his American wife's right to live in her own country.

Really, if worse comes to worst, all she has to do is get into a cab, say "safara" (embassy in Arabic), and get herself in the door.

The baby isn't an issue until there's a live birth.

Show me an Egyptian that doesn't have a cousin that works in some "very important position," the importance of which is typically blatant boasting and most often perceived, and I'll show you someone who's pretending to be Egyptian.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

my two cents, however malformed.

she already wants a divorce, so she should leave without telling him,

have an abortion when she returns, and file for divorce when she returns.

Less hassle all the way round, IMO.

Why to divorce and raise a kid, the spawn of a man you hate? Seems a disservice to the kid, all the way round.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

The other poster is right, there are hospitals here that have stray cats that have been known to carry off infants

Did I really just read someone say that stray cats carry off infants?

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Did I really just read someone say that stray cats carry off infants?

Yes, and in rural cities here. i posted in a forum not too long ago where they were posting pics online of the university hospital in alex, i forgot the name, these babies were all practically laying on top of one another. Not long ago i mean within months ago, a woman took off with a baby at the hospital in the city i live in and another incident was a woman was walking with her baby and a man rode by on a motorcycle and grabbed the baby from her arms,luckily he did not get away.

After that oh man, i was so on alert and would not walk any where alone with my son and i told my husband if your not with me, or one of your family, i'm not going.

The hospital here in the city i live in has no windows and i can see how stray cats could easily get inside and the nurses here ...well, that's a whole new thread. These nurses and doctor's are under paid and i wouldn't be surprised at all if they sold off some of the babies for some extra cash. Although most of the people here are good people there are those that have no soul.

What happens in Jordan is not what happens in Lebanon, and what happens in Lebanon is not what happens in Egypt.

One more time for people who don't like to read: In EGYPT, an Egyptian husband CANNOT restrict his American wife's right to live in her own country.

Really, if worse comes to worst, all she has to do is get into a cab, say "safara" (embassy in Arabic), and get herself in the door.

The baby isn't an issue until there's a live birth.

Show me an Egyptian that doesn't have a cousin that works in some "very important position," the importance of which is typically blatant boasting and most often perceived, and I'll show you someone who's pretending to be Egyptian.

This poster is correct in most of what she says but one thing that is not considered is alot of women come here from america and they are completely lost and they don't know the language here and it's so hard to get away when you have your husband or the inlaws always with you. It's true that legally she can leave but the man can make it very hard for her especially if she has no money, or, she don't know her way, or have transportation. There are no taxis in some places and some cities it would be easy to get lost as all the places have only arabic writing but i suppose in time a very determined woman could find a way to escape.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline

Whether he has the legal means to stop her from leaving is almost immaterial. She's in a foreign country, with some political instability and recent violence. The amount of trouble one person can cause another in such an environment is huge. The smartest thing she can do is get out and tell him after she returns to the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.