Channah&Aaron

; SSN with my maiden name

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

; I know, but today I didn't feel like it and I'll just wait and change my name after I received my SSC :idea:

How come it takes sooooo long for your wife to receive hers?? :clock:

I do not know. Actually, she received her original card with her maiden name within 3 weeks after arrival.. The rest is a mystery... We are OK since we have the number.. it is just that we do not have a card and have to go back every time...

Edited by san diego

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mauritius
Timeline

I would argue this point. I think DMV employees may fight for the first place!

:ot2:

After marriage I went to SS administration again to change the name.. They said they will send new card ASAP.. Nothing in the mail for 2 months! My wife got a Green Card!! On her NEW MARRIED name! So, we went again and they said they cannot issue SS because in the computer on the USCIS page it says both maiden and married name! I said : "HERE IS THE GREEN CARD!! IT STATES ONLY HER MARRIED NAME!!" Nothing.. still waiting for a new card....

I am waiting for my SSN too, I had my SSN card with my maiden name on it before, now I got approved AOS by the USCIS 3 weeks ago and I received my green card 2 weeks ago. My husband and I went to the Social Security Office to inform them my maiden name to married name on my SSN card, So they said they will inform the Department Homeland Security about it, now i am waiting for my SSN card with my married name on it too. It does take time though.

Channah&Aaron, Please see this thread. Sometimes I wonder if that thread or threads like it should be pinned. You might have to email the social security regional office near you to get them to send documentation to your local office. Good luck and congratulations on your marriage.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/296376-eligibility-to-be-assigned-a-social-security-number/

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Congrats on the wedding! I think we are going to wait to apply for the SS card, there is really no rush as she does not intend to work right away. Thank you for posting your experiences,

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Ok, I am confused...

I just got married after spending 2 weeks in the US with my LOVE (L) (see timeline :blush: ) and today I went to the Social Security Administration Office to apply for my SSN :whistle: .

I brought my passport with the I-94 inside and a copy of our Marriage Certificate.. After filling in the form, the lady told me that she is going to put my maiden name on my SSN instead of my "new" last name, the name of my husband. I asked her why, since I showed her my marriage certificate and she then told me she can't change my name since my passport says "B*****" AND I need approval from HOMELAND SECURITY to change my last name on my SSCard which I am expecting to receive within 2 weeks. :bonk: W to tha TF?! :hehe:

Does anybody know what she is talking about? And I thought my marriage certificate is proof to have my new name on my SSCard. :help:

Do not worry, the card that you will be receiving can still be change once you get your green card... I did not have this problem though, but last week I receive my 2 year greencard and went to the SS office today to ask for another card without the restriction, the girl in the SS office (she is pretty knowledgeable and I always deal with her) told me that the system (Homeland Security) is still showing my maiden name and that it might take a month for them to change that, then she print something and ask me to check it out... the forms contain all my info and it also shows what name I want to show in my SS card, and It contains my married First name, middle initial and last name (married name), so I said that's okay... she said I should be able to receive my new card in a month.

The number will still be the same...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; Some people on here wait till they get their GC, but I'd like to have my SSN as soon as possible so I can get insured thru Aaron his company and apply for a DL.

Main reason is insurance :innocent:

Edited by Channah&Aaron

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Filed: Timeline

today I went to the Social Security Administration Office to apply for my SSN :whistle: .

I brought my passport with the I-94 inside and a copy of our Marriage Certificate.. After filling in the form, the lady told me that she is going to put my maiden name on my SSN instead of my "new" last name, the name of my husband. I asked her why, since I showed her my marriage certificate and she then told me she can't change my name since my passport says "B*****" AND I need approval from HOMELAND SECURITY to change my last name on my SSCard which I am expecting to receive within 2 weeks. :bonk: W to tha TF?! :hehe:

Which SSA office was this?

They are totally wrong,

RM 10212.001 Defining the Legal Name for an SSN

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001

B. Evidence of legal name

2. Foreign born individual

A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document (includes hyphens and apostrophes).

The only time you may process an SSN application in a name that does not agree with the name shown on the immigration document is if the person legally changed his or her name after the immigration document is issued. In these situations, the legal name is the name shown on the evidence of the name change.

The SS office told us we could get the name changed on her SS card before finishing the AOS but he said that might cause problems with the names being different

Cause a problem with what with names being different on what? Please don't get your immigration advice from the SSA office. They have hard enough time following their own procedures.

Which SSA office was this?

They are totally wrong,

RM 10212.001 Defining the Legal Name for an SSN

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001

B. Evidence of legal name

2. Foreign born individual

A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document (includes hyphens and apostrophes).

The only time you may process an SSN application in a name that does not agree with the name shown on the immigration document is if the person legally changed his or her name after the immigration document is issued. In these situations, the legal name is the name shown on the evidence of the name change.

We had the same problem. They would not change the name on her Social Security Card until it was verified by the DHS. We had to wait for her EAD before they would give her a new card.

but last week I receive my 2 year greencard and went to the SS office today to ask for another card without the restriction, the girl in the SS office (she is pretty knowledgeable and I always deal with her) told me that the system (Homeland Security) is still showing my maiden name and that it might take a month for them to change that, then she print something and ask me to check it out... the forms contain all my info and it also shows what name I want to show in my SS card, and It contains my married First name, middle initial and last name (married name), so I said that's okay... she said I should be able to receive my new card in a month.

The number will still be the same...

Immigration isn't going to change anything in that system. If the immigration data didn't match your application information, the SSA office supposed to submit an additional electronic verification request. That normally take 3 to 5 days for SSA to receive a response. If immigration asks to see a copy of the document, a photocopy of the front and back of the document is mailed to immigration with Form G-845. It used to be that the SSA office had to wait for immigration to mail the G-845 back, but now once immigration has processed it SSA get an electronic response. If the G-845 gets to immigration that shouldn't take more than a month.

SSA no longer uses the Form SS-5 when you apply in person. So they enter everything into the computer and have you review the printout, before it's finalized.

We had the same problem. They would not change the name on her Social Security Card until it was verified by the DHS. We had to wait for her EAD before they would give her a new card.

They were also wrong and this proves it even more. You can correct the name on the SSN record without even having work authorization, so you sure all hell can do it with K-1 status before your I-94 is expired or within 14 days of expiring. Since for SSN purposes a K-1 with a valid I-94 is work authorized.

RM 10211.605 Request for a Replacement SSN Card Obtained for a Nonwork Purpose

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211605

A. Correcting Numident data when a replacement card cannot be issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid nonwork reason, explain that we cannot issue a replacement card.

1. Alien provides documentation supporting the change

Although the FO cannot issue a replacement card, you may correct the Numident if the alien provides documentation supporting the change (e.g., a name change).

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the replacement card application to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a card.

If you have submitted an SSN application and think you are getting jerked around, send SSA an e-mail:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/ask

provide the application reference number, for example, 11250123456 or your phone number. You might have to play around with the reference number to get the e-mail to go through, since the system might think it's an SSN and they don't want people to e-mail their SSN. If you have trouble, put some spaces between the numbers, for example, 11 250 123456 or spell out the numbers, for example, one one two etc.

Ok, I am confused...

I just got married after spending 2 weeks in the US with my LOVE (L) (see timeline :blush: ) and today I went to the Social Security Administration Office to apply for my SSN :whistle: .

Does anybody know what she is talking about? And I thought my marriage certificate is proof to have my new name on my SSCard. :help:

When I first applied for SSN, that was what the guy behind the desk told me. I presented him our marriage certificate, passport, I-94, birth certificate but he still insists that my maiden name will be the name visible in my SS card. I told him not to process it and I went home did my research and found out that maiden name can be used in the SS card if you are not yet married and has just arrived in the US but if you are married you're marriage certificate & passport (with I-94)would be enough proof for you to have a SS card/number. I went back to the SS office and the lady processed my SS application using my married name! after 7 days I got my SS number!

~ Cutie Bear

https://randomengineerblog.wordpress.com/

K1 application filed: 08/2010

NOA1: 08/2010

NOA2: 02/2011

Entered USA: 05/2011

Married: 06/2011

EAD received: 09/2011

Conditional GC received: 10/2011 (transferred to CSC without interviews)
10 year GC received: 10/2013 (Approved without interviews)
N-400: mailed to the Phoenix Lockbox 7/8 and received 7/9 by R. Magadan

N-400 Checked: cashed 7/11

Biometrics: 8/7

Interview: 11/6

Oath-Taking: 12/2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.