Channah&Aaron

; SSN with my maiden name

29 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Ok, I am confused...

I just got married after spending 2 weeks in the US with my LOVE (L) (see timeline :blush: ) and today I went to the Social Security Administration Office to apply for my SSN :whistle: .

I brought my passport with the I-94 inside and a copy of our Marriage Certificate.. After filling in the form, the lady told me that she is going to put my maiden name on my SSN instead of my "new" last name, the name of my husband. I asked her why, since I showed her my marriage certificate and she then told me she can't change my name since my passport says "B*****" AND I need approval from HOMELAND SECURITY to change my last name on my SSCard which I am expecting to receive within 2 weeks. :bonk: W to tha TF?! :hehe:

Does anybody know what she is talking about? And I thought my marriage certificate is proof to have my new name on my SSCard. :help:

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Timeline

I can't answer this but...

CONGRATS!! :) yay married lady (F)

United_States.gif Love Story Netherlands.gif

~~~~~~~~~

K-1

8/02/2011 -- Mailed I-129F to Texas Lockbox (overnight USPS)

8/03/2011 -- Delivered by USPS, signed for by C THORNQUIST

8/05/2011 -- NOA1 text & email, routed to VSC

8/10/2011 -- I-797C Received in mail

12/13/2011 -- NOA2!! :)

12/22/2011 -- NVC letter

1/03/2012 -- Marco received package 3

1/25/2012 -- Received interview date of 2/27

2/16/2012 -- Medical exam in Amsterdam- a breeze! BMR and DKTP shots given

2/27/2012 -- Interview in Amsterdam- Denied, need to obtain Belgian police certificate & reschedule

3/13/2012 -- Delivered Belgian P.C. to Consulate... status: APPROVED! :)

4/11/2012 -- POE Philadelphia :)

5/19/2012 -- Wedding!

~~~~~~~~~

AOS

7/24/2012 -- Mailed AOS Package

7/31/2012 -- Confirmation text received

8/1/2012 -- Check cashed

8/18/2012 -- Email alerting RFE for I-485

8/23/2012 -- Received biometrics letter (too late, appointment already passed!) and also RFE information

...and let the waiting games begin (again)!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

congrats!!! i just got married last saturday, i have been here in the us almost three weeks now, i went to apply for my ssn one week after being here because i have learn hat it is better to apply before you get married, but i have not recieve it as yet. whenever i do i'm gonna change it to my married name.hope one of the more experienced members can give you a clear answer. again, congrats on your wedding!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Think you got a crazy person. You can change your name to married name without approval of USCIS lol

I got my SSN in married name with marriage cert and passport!

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You can have your married name on your SSN without your passport showing the name change. I also had problems (different than this), and ended up contacting the someone via the SS website. This person provided me with correct information and documentation, and even after that my local office protested and eventually realized that they were in fact making a mistake. Basically I think depending on who you get you can get different information. I have my SSN in my married name and my passport still in my maiden name... maybe you can contact someone via email on the main SS website.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The SS office told us we could get the name changed on her SS card before finishing the AOS but he said that might cause problems with the names being different We just waited until she received her EAD then took that down to apply for an SS card with her married name

Adam & May

----------------K1 Journey---------------

02/01/2010 - Sent I-129F sent to CSC Express Mail

02/03/2010 - Date on NOA1

02/09/2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy arrived in mail

03/18/2010 - NOA2 approval mailed by CSC (per USCIS.org)43 Days from NOA1

03/23/2010 - NOA2 Hardcopy Received

06/18/2010 - Interview Passed PINK!!!! PINK!!!! PINK!!!! PINK!!!! PINK!!!!

07/02/2010 - Visa received!

07/03/2010 & 07/05/2010 - PRISM Seminar & CFO Sticker (We are all set

08/08/2010 - May's POE Detroit, MI USA

09/24/2010 - Received SSN Card

10/08/2010 - Wedding

----------------AOS Journey---------------

12/07/2010 - Submitted AOS/EAD Package

12/14/2010 - NOA1 Received

12/27/2010 - Biometrics Completed

01/20/2011 - AOS Transfered to CSC

01/26/2011 - AOS Received by CSC

02/16/2011 - EAD Approved

N/A - AOS Appointment

02/22/2011 - AOS Appproved

02/26/2011 - EAD Card Received

02/27/2011 - Green Card Received

01/19/2013 - Mailed I-751

##/##/2013 - NOA1 Received

##/##/2013 - BIometrics Appointment

##/##/2013 - Interview

##/##/2013 - 10 Year Green Card Issued

FV%20US%20-%20Reg.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok, I am confused...

I just got married after spending 2 weeks in the US with my LOVE (L) (see timeline :blush: ) and today I went to the Social Security Administration Office to apply for my SSN :whistle: .

I brought my passport with the I-94 inside and a copy of our Marriage Certificate.. After filling in the form, the lady told me that she is going to put my maiden name on my SSN instead of my "new" last name, the name of my husband. I asked her why, since I showed her my marriage certificate and she then told me she can't change my name since my passport says "B*****" AND I need approval from HOMELAND SECURITY to change my last name on my SSCard which I am expecting to receive within 2 weeks. :bonk: W to tha TF?! :hehe:

Does anybody know what she is talking about? And I thought my marriage certificate is proof to have my new name on my SSCard. :help:

I got my first SSN with my maiden name on it and now with my married name..by just showing them my marriage cert and passport. The only prob I encountered was the middle name that they let me carry with my married name. Instead of the usual that a married woman can use her maiden last name as her middle name...mine was different..they have my maiden middle name printed on it with my married last name..So confusing..i don't know how to change it now..

Filed: Other Timeline

You simply need to understand and accept that the dumbest human beings that walk the Earth work for the SSA.

Wait for your card to arrive, then go back to the SSA office with you marriage certificate and get a new card, this time in your legal name. VJ member and SS expert resident "I quit" can tell you where you can find the 10-foot pole you can shove up that "Lady's" a** if she's going to give you sh*t again.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

; thanks guys!! I think I'll just give them a call, because if I get my ssc next week or so and go back again with the same marriage certificate I have had when I was there is crazy! I'm going to call them right now and tell them that I'm an approved k1 holder, got married and I have a different name!! I don't need approval because I have been approved in first place. And besides, they can learn from this situation, and from me :rolleyes: lol

AOS

Timeline

You simply need to understand and accept that the dumbest human beings that walk the Earth work for the SSA.

Wait for your card to arrive, then go back to the SSA office with you marriage certificate and get a new card, this time in your legal name. VJ member and SS expert resident "I quit" can tell you where you can find the 10-foot pole you can shove up that "Lady's" a** if she's going to give you sh*t again.

:lol: !! I really think they are dumb as ***** :whistle: she was looking to my passport as she was confused and I asked her, are you sure I can't use my new name? She said no.. GRRRR!!

Oh, and btw, skip the 10-foot pole, make it a 20 foot one!!!

AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I would argue this point. I think DMV employees may fight for the first place!

:ot2:

After marriage I went to SS administration again to change the name.. They said they will send new card ASAP.. Nothing in the mail for 2 months! My wife got a Green Card!! On her NEW MARRIED name! So, we went again and they said they cannot issue SS because in the computer on the USCIS page it says both maiden and married name! I said : "HERE IS THE GREEN CARD!! IT STATES ONLY HER MARRIED NAME!!" Nothing.. still waiting for a new card....

Timeline

I would argue this point. I think DMV employees may fight for the first place!

:ot2:

After marriage I went to SS administration again to change the name.. They said they will send new card ASAP.. Nothing in the mail for 2 months! My wife got a Green Card!! On her NEW MARRIED name! So, we went again and they said they cannot issue SS because in the computer on the USCIS page it says both maiden and married name! I said : "HERE IS THE GREEN CARD!! IT STATES ONLY HER MARRIED NAME!!" Nothing.. still waiting for a new card....

That is crazy :blink: !! I thought I had a major issue, but now, I'll pass this title to you :blush: !!

Though, I hope she'll get it soon..

As for me, I'll wait for my SSC to arrive and then change my name.. I had more important things to do then going back. They ain't worth my fuel to drive up and down again... :whistle:

AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

That is crazy :blink: !! I thought I had a major issue, but now, I'll pass this title to you :blush: !!

Though, I hope she'll get it soon..

As for me, I'll wait for my SSC to arrive and then change my name.. I had more important things to do then going back. They ain't worth my fuel to drive up and down again... :whistle:

Congrats on the wedding! As far as driving up and down... either you want or not you will have to.. once they have a problem they keep having it. I already been there 3 times and may keep going... The worst part of all is:

1) You have to go in person

2) They tell you : "THIS TIME IT WILL DEFINITELY ARRIVE!" EVERY TIME!!

Timeline

Congrats on the wedding! As far as driving up and down... either you want or not you will have to.. once they have a problem they keep having it. I already been there 3 times and may keep going... The worst part of all is:

1) You have to go in person

2) They tell you : "THIS TIME IT WILL DEFINITELY ARRIVE!" EVERY TIME!!

; I know, but today I didn't feel like it and I'll just wait and change my name after I received my SSC :idea:

How come it takes sooooo long for your wife to receive hers?? :clock:

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.