Haarp425

Eligibility to be assigned a Social Security number

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Howdy folks. I would like to share our experience in getting my wife her Social Security number and the documents we have to show to the SSA local office. I hope this will help someone who are in the same situation right now or future K-1 visa holder.

01/16/2011 - Fiancee arrived at Seattle, WA.

01/17/2011 - (1st day). Went to SSA office in Everett, WA. SSA staff informed us that her name is not on the USCIS Systemic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) program. We were informed to come back 10 days after.

01/27/2011 - (9th day) My fiancee and I were married.

01/28/2011 - (10th day). Obtained a certified marriage certificate.

01/28/2011 - (10th day). Went to SSA local office in Everett, WA. We showed the SSA staff my wife's passport showing the K1 visa, the unexpired I-94 and our certified marriage certificate. However, the SS staff here at Everett, WA told us that he can't help us until "we notify the USCIS of status change"? I told the SSA staff that I will apply the I-485 for wife in a few days and my wife should still be able to obtain SSA card while she still have a valid K1 visa and I-94 does not expire until 4/16/2011. However, the SSA staff was somewhat upset and told us further that he could not help us and was closing his window.

01/31/2011 - I called SSA toll free number to explain my situation and I was referred back to SSA office in Everett, WA and some supervisor will have to call us.

02/02/2011 - I received a phone call from someone at SSA office in Everett, WA. I was told that since my wife is already married, the SSA can not give her SS card until my wife gets her Work Permit from USCIS. I told the SSA staff at Everett, WA that my wife should be able to obtain SS card as long as her K1 Visa is still valid and her show an unexpired I-94 which shows 4/16/2011 validity date. I told the SSA staff again that my wife can't do anything even getting driver's license without the SS card and other things that requires SS number. I told her that it will take 3 months or more to get the Work Permit from USCIS.

02/13/2011 - Filed 2010 Income Tax Return.

02/13/2011 - I went online and check www.visajourney.com and found out that some people were able to obtain SS card for their wife or husband even after they were married but before getting the Work Permit. Also, some people are being denied by SSA staff with similar situation.

02/13/2011 - I went online to http://www.ssa.gov/seattle/ and since The Social Security Administration's Seattle Region serves 4 States (WA, ID, OR, AK), I directed my inquiry to the attention of "The Social Security Administration's Seattle Region". I click Contact Us, click on Online and click on Feedback.

Here's my inquiry letter.

My name is xxxx and I am a US Citizen and I live in Everett, WA. My fiancee arrived here in Seattle, WA on 1/16/2011 with a K1 visa. On her I-94, it states that it will expire on 4/16/2011. My fiancee and I went to SSA office in Everett, WA and we tried to obtain a SS card for her and we were told by the SSA staff to come back 10 days later.

On the 9th day (01/27/2011), my fiancee and I were married at Everett, WA and we obtained our certified marriage certificate on the 10th day (01/28/2011). My wife and I went to the SS office in Everett, WA to get my wife her SS card. We showed the SSA staff my wife's passport showing the K1 visa, the unexpired I-94 and our certified marriage certificate. However, the SS staff here at Everett, WA told us that he can't help us until "we notify the USCIS of status change"? I told the SSA staff that I will apply the I-485 for wife in a few days and my wife should still be able to obtain SSA card while she still have a valid K1 visa and I-94 does not expire until 4/16/2011. However, the SSA staff was somewhat upset and told us further that he could not help us and was closing his window.

I called SSA toll free number to explain my situation and I was referred back to SSA office in Everett, WA and some supervisor will have to call us. A few days later, I received a phone call from someone at SSA office in Everett, WA. I was told that since my wife is already married, the SSA can not give her SS card until my wife gets her Work Permit from USCIS. I told the SSA staff at Everett, WA that my wife should be able to obtain SS card as long as her K1 Visa is still valid and her show an unexpired I-94 which shows 4/16/2011 validity date. I told the SSA staff again that my wife can't do anything even getting driver's license without the SS card and other things that requires SS number. I told her that it will take 3 months or more to get the Work Permit from USCIS.

I went online and check www.visajourney.com and found out that some people were able to obtain SS card for their wife or husband even after they were married but before getting the Work Permit. Also, some people are being denied by SSA staff with similar situation.

My question here why is that not all SSA offices use the same procedure?

How come some SSA offices grant SS card to someone with valid K1 visa, unexpired I-94 and married but does not have Work Permit yet?

How come other SSA offices deny SS card to someone with valid K1 visa, unexpired I-94 and married but does not have Work Permit yet?

Does the rule depend on the knowledge of the SSA staff at certain location?

Sincerely,

xxx xxx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

02/15/2011 - I received a reply back from SSA via email. The reply email from SSA states that "We faxed a copy of your message to the attention of the Everett, WA office manager. We suggest that you wife return to the office with the required documentation as listed below, and ask for the office manager if the application is not accepted."

02/15/2011 - My wife and I went to the Everett, WA office. I explained to the SSA staff that we need to get SSN for my wife. I handed my wife's SS-5 application to the SSA staff and the SSA staff looked at my wife's passport with I-94. The SSA staff stated "I guess she is no longer a fiancee. Is she?" and "SSA does not provide SSN to a K-1 Visa holder who are already married". I told the SSA staff that marriage does not change the status of the K-1 Visa holder as long as the I-94 is still valid. I told the SSA staff that I need to speak with the Office Manager. I informed the SSA staff that "Marriage does not affect an individual with K-1 status's eligibility to be assigned an SSN, or issued a card". I informed them that they should have a fax from SSA Regional Office (SSA.Comments@ssa.gov) regarding my message. While waiting for Office Manager, other SSA staff (including the SSA staff that we spoke on 01/17/2011) asked me where I have obtained my information and was it from SSA or other agency?. I informed them that I got the information from SSA. A couple of minutes later the SSA Office Manager informed us that we should expect a letter within 3 days explaining their decision. Also, before we left, I ask the SSA staff (the original SSA staff I spoke first). I ask her if I can change my address while I am at the SSA office. The SSA staff that she can't change my address if I am not receiving SS benefits and SSA obtains addresses from the IRS only. I said to the SSA staff "Thank you" and the SSA staff stated "Again, Congratulations on your Marriage".

02/18/2011 - Received a letter from SSA that we should be expecting my wife's SSN card via mail within 2 weeks.

===================================

Here's my comments on this SSN card application for the K-1 visa holders with unexpired I-94.

1st:The SSA staff is supposed to accept the SSN Application from an Alien arriving within 10 days in the U.S.

If the SAVE IV response verifies the applicant’s status, continue with the SSN application.

If the IV response does not verify the applicant’s status, the SSA staff must hold the application, place in the FO pending file.

When the 10 calendar day condition is met, the SSA staff should submit a new Initial Verification request instead of the Additional Verification request.

2nd: Note: Marriage does not affect an individual with K-1 status's eligibility to be assigned an SSN, or issued a card.

3rd: Applicants must bring documentation from SSA to explain to the SSA staff if there are new guidelines and procedures that the local SSA staff probably missed. Sometimes bringing in documents might still give you problems. If you have been denied SSN card the first time because you are already married but still have a valid K-1 visa with unexpired I-94, I suggest contacting the SSA Regional Office of where you live and that way they can forward a fax to the local SSA office where you live before heading to the local SSA office.

4th: Be nice and be civil with SSA staff, after all they are just following procedures on what they have been told and they follow what information they have been given to them. It is up to us to notify the SSA staff and provide them with documentation.

I hope this information will help others. Good Luck :)

Here's the email I received from the SSA.

=================================================

Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration regarding eligibility to be assigned a Social Security number.

We faxed a copy of your message to the attention of the Everett, WA office manager. We suggest that you wife return to the office with the required documentation as listed below, and ask for the office manager if the application is not accepted.

We suggest that individuals that have entered the United States with non-immigrant status wait at least 10 calendar days before submitting a Social Security number (SSN) application to allow the Department of Homeland Security time to record entry into their database, but individuals are not required to wait 10 days before applying.

RM 10213.305 Procedure when an SSN Applicant Files for an SSN within 10 Days of Arriving in the U.S or Having a Change in Status:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110213305

An individual that entered the United States with K-1 status applying for a work authorized SSN must present evidence at one of our offices to establish his or her age, identity, and current lawful employment authorized status.

An individual needs to provide at least two documents as evidence to establish age, identity, and current lawful employment authorized status.

Example: If the immigration document, for example, Form I-94, Form I-551, Form I-766, is used to establish work authorization and identity, the alien must provide another document to establish age.

We will not assign an SSN or issue a card to an individual that is within 14 days of his or her alien status expiring. Until the 76th day after entry an individual with K-1 status only needs to provide an unexpired I-94 showing current K-1 status to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

Once, an individual that entered the United States with K-1 status has been in the United States 76 days he or she will need another document, for example, Form I-551, Form I-766, to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

RM 10211.420 Employment Authorization for Non-immigrants:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211420

RM 10211.025 Evidence of Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) Status for an SSN Card:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211025

Note: Marriage does not affect an individual with K-1 status's eligibility to be assigned an SSN, or issued a card.

We accept all marriage documents issued within the 50 United States, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa.

RM 10212.025 Evidence of Name Change based on a US Ceremonial Marriage:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212025

We can accept a name change document based on marriage as evidence of the new name to be shown on the card, if the new name can be derived from the marriage document.

Any of the following changes to the last name, using the names shown on the evidence, are permitted:

-- bride takes the groom’s last name;

-- groom takes bride’s last name;

-- spouse or partner takes the other parties’ last name;

-- spouse or partner takes one part of the other parties’ compound surname;

-- compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse’s or partner’s original surname for either or both parties

Example:

Lisa Foster submits evidence of the name change event, her US ceremonial marriage to Bryan Lee-Walsh. She wants to change her surname to a compound surname, Foster Lee, with only part of Bryan’s surname. Since this new name can be derived from the prior names shown on the marriage document, the marriage document is acceptable evidence of the new name. We may also change Lisa’s surname to one of the following if she requests it:

-- WALSH,

-- LEE-WALSH (or reverse, with or without space or hyphen),

-- LEE FOSTER (with or without space or hyphen, Foster Lee could also have a hyphen or not have a space)

-- FOSTER WALSH (or reverse, with or without space or hyphen)

-- FOSTER LEE WALSH (in any order, with or without spaces or hyphens)

The marriage document can also be used as acceptable evidence of identity, if it shows Lisa’s prior name (Lisa Foster) and either her age, birth date, or parents’ names, that matches the data on the SSN record, and the marriage took place within the prior two years.

RM 10212.055 Evidence Required to Process a Name Change on the SSN based on Marriage, Civil Union and Domestic Partnership:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212055

This is in addition to proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document, for example, Form I-94.

If the required documents show clearly different names, we cannot accept the evidence to process the application. In these situations, the applicant must submit evidence showing the same name, or submit evidence of a name change that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

RM 10212.001 Defining the Legal Name for an SSN:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

If an acceptable evidence document is in a language other than English and no other acceptable document is available, we will have the foreign language document translated by an authorized translator.

SSA translators comprise two groups:

-- Field office and Payment Center employees who volunteer their services as translators

-- Central Translation Section translators who hold actual translator positions.

GN 00301.340 Authorized Translators Defined:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200301340

If a foreign-born person has the foreign birth certificate in his/her possession or can easily obtain a copy, he or she must submit it as proof of age. In some situations we can accept alternative evidence of age. The alternative evidence of age may be less than a year old, for example, foreign passport.

You can find links to detailed information regarding evidence that establishes age on our Web site:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210250

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative value of documents.

Primary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (includes temporary I-551 Stamp in combination with an unexpired foreign passport when the I- 551 Permanent Resident Card has not yet been issued)

-- Form I-94, Arrival/departure Record in combination with an unexpired foreign passport

-- Form I-766, Employment Authorization card in combination with an unexpired foreign passport

Note: Document must be unexpired

Secondary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Unexpired valid U.S. driver’s license (excludes licenses known to be suspended or revoked)

-- U.S. State issued non-driver identity card (issued by the same State agency which issues driver’s licenses/State-level agency with issuing authority over the State’s identity card and not expired)

-- Marriage document showing in addition to the applicant’s name either the applicant’s date of birth (DOB) or age

-- Certified copy of medical record (clinic, doctor, or hospital) or letter providing extract data from the medical record showing in addition to the applicant’s name, the applicant’s DOB or age

-- Health insurance or Medicaid card showing, in addition to the person’s name, either a photograph of the person or his/her DOB

-- School identity card or record (for current school year) showing, in addition to the applicant’s name, either a photograph of the applicant or the applicant’s DOB

-- Life insurance policy for the person showing his/her age or DOB.

However, the acceptability of an identity document must be evaluated on a case by case basis by the office processing the application.

RM 10210.405 Evidence of Identity for an SSN Card:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210405

RM 10210.420 List of Documents in Priority of Acceptability for Use as Evidence of Identity:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210420

We cannot accept an application filing receipt or notice of action as evidence of an immigration document, or an immigration document with a “valid from” date in the future.

Exception: We can accept an expired I-551 card accompanied by a Form I-797C (Notice of Action) stating, “Your conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year as evidence of LPR status.”

Normally, an SSN card should be received in the mail within two weeks after the application and required document(s) have been received and verified.

However, when an alien requests an SSN or replacement card, we must verify his or her documents/current status with the appropriate bureau of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). If the initial online verification is not possible through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, we may need to send a Form G-845 to the appropriate DHS Status Verification Office (SVO) for manual verification.

Social Security field offices can submit an additional electronic online verification, which with the majority of applications eliminates the need to send a Form G-845 along with a copy of the applicant’s immigration documents.

However, some applications still require a copy of the immigration document(s) to be mailed to the appropriate DHS SVO along with Form G-845 for manual verification.

Note: If the applicant has changed his/her name after an immigration document, for example, Form I-94, was issued, for example, married and is now using the married name, but has not obtained a corrected immigration document showing the new name; this is not a name discrepancy for enumeration purposes, that is, SAVE clearance, if the applicant can provide an acceptable legal name change document to establish the new name.

The 14-day status expiration limit for assigning an SSN and/or issuing a card applies even if an individual submitted his or her application before being within the 14-day period and entered the 14-day period while waiting for his or her status to be verified.

Our offices can also assist applicants by issuing a notice acknowledging the SSN application while documents are being verified.

RM 10205.215 Acknowledgement Requested for an Application for an SSN Card:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110205215

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the Form SS-5.

Individuals can contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) by calling the National Customer Service Center toll-free number, 1-800-375-5283, or visiting a local CIS office.

You can locate CIS offices on their Web site:

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices

Before going into a CIS office individuals first need to make an INFOPASS appointment:

http://infopass.uscis.gov

Finding the Status of Your Case:

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/index.jsp

How Do I...Help My Fiancé(e)Become a Permanent Resident of the United States:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/A2.pdf

I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status:

http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/files/form/i-485.pdfhttp://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

Application for Employment Authorization:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-765.pdfhttp://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-765instr.pdf

How Do I...Renew or Replace My Permanent Resident Card:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/B2.pdf

Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-751.pdfhttp://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-751instr.pdf

You can find SSN and employment information on the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Web site:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=129227,00.html

If ineligible to be assigned an SSN, Social Security offices can provide written notice using Form SSA-L676 to explain that an SSN cannot be assigned due to your spouse not having provided authorization to work in the United States for SSN purposes, or evidence of a valid nonwork reason for needing an SSN.

Needing an SSN for school aid or enrollment, tax purposes, private health insurance, banking, credit cards, loans, or to be issued a state professional or driver’s license are NOT valid non work reasons for needing an SSN.

RM 10211.610 Valid Reasons to Assign an SSN for Nonwork Purposes:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211610

RM 10211.615 Invalid Nonwork Reasons for SSN Assignment:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211615

The IRS assigns Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers to aliens for tax purposes who are not eligible to be assigned an SSN. A Form W-7, “Application for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number,” needs to be submitted to receive an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.

You can download a form W-7 from the IRS Web site:

http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/index.html

You can contact the IRS ITIN office by calling 1-800-908-9982.

You can find additional information on the IRS Web site:

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1915.pdf

When am I legally required to provide my Social Security number:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/78

============================================================

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8066925138937638623#
Angels Still Don't Play This HAARP

Filed: Timeline

Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration regarding eligibility to be assigned a Social Security number.

We faxed a copy of your message to the attention of the Everett, WA office manager. We suggest that you wife return to the office with the required documentation as listed below, and ask for the office manager if the application is not accepted.

We suggest that individuals that have entered the United States with non-immigrant status wait at least 10 calendar days before submitting a Social Security number (SSN) application to allow the Department of Homeland Security time to record entry into their database, but individuals are not required to wait 10 days before applying.

RM 10213.305 Procedure when an SSN Applicant Files for an SSN within 10 Days of Arriving in the U.S or Having a Change in Status:

An individual that entered the United States with K-1 status applying for a work authorized SSN must present evidence at one of our offices to establish his or her age, identity, and current lawful employment authorized status.

An individual needs to provide at least two documents as evidence to establish age, identity, and current lawful employment authorized status.

Example: If the immigration document, for example, Form I-94, Form I-551, Form I-766, is used to establish work authorization and identity, the alien must provide another document to establish age.

We will not assign an SSN or issue a card to an individual that is within 14 days of his or her alien status expiring. Until the 76th day after entry an individual with K-1 status only needs to provide an unexpired I-94 showing current K-1 status to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

Once, an individual that entered the United States with K-1 status has been in the United States 76 days he or she will need another document, for example, Form I-551, Form I-766, to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

RM 10211.025 Evidence of Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) Status for an SSN Card:

Note: Marriage does not affect an individual with K-1 status's eligibility to be assigned an SSN, or issued a card.

We accept all marriage documents issued within the 50 United States, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa.

We can accept a name change document based on marriage as evidence of the new name to be shown on the card, if the new name can be derived from the marriage document.

Any of the following changes to the last name, using the names shown on the evidence, are permitted:

-- compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse’s or partner’s original surname for either or both parties

Example:

Lisa Foster submits evidence of the name change event, her US ceremonial marriage to Bryan Lee-Walsh. She wants to change her surname to a compound surname, Foster Lee, with only part of Bryan’s surname. Since this new name can be derived from the prior names shown on the marriage document, the marriage document is acceptable evidence of the new name. We may also change Lisa’s surname to one of the following if she requests it:

-- WALSH,

-- LEE FOSTER (with or without space or hyphen, Foster Lee could also have a hyphen or not have a space)

The marriage document can also be used as acceptable evidence of identity, if it shows Lisa’s prior name (Lisa Foster) and either her age, birth date, or parents’ names, that matches the data on the SSN record, and the marriage took place within the prior two years.

RM 10212.055 Evidence Required to Process a Name Change on the SSN based on Marriage, Civil Union and Domestic Partnership:

A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document, for example, Form I-94.

If the required documents show clearly different names, we cannot accept the evidence to process the application. In these situations, the applicant must submit evidence showing the same name, or submit evidence of a name change that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

If an acceptable evidence document is in a language other than English and no other acceptable document is available, we will have the foreign language document translated by an authorized translator.

-- Field office and Payment Center employees who volunteer their services as translators

-- Central Translation Section translators who hold actual translator positions.

If a foreign-born person has the foreign birth certificate in his/her possession or can easily obtain a copy, he or she must submit it as proof of age. In some situations we can accept alternative evidence of age. The alternative evidence of age may be less than a year old, for example, foreign passport.

You can find links to detailed information regarding evidence that establishes age on our Web site:

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative value of documents.

-- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (includes temporary I-551 Stamp in combination with an unexpired foreign passport when the I- 551 Permanent Resident Card has not yet been issued)

-- Form I-94, Arrival/departure Record in combination with an unexpired foreign passport

-- Form I-766, Employment Authorization card in combination with an unexpired foreign passport

-- Unexpired valid U.S. driver’s license (excludes licenses known to be suspended or revoked)

-- U.S. State issued non-driver identity card (issued by the same State agency which issues driver’s licenses/State-level agency with issuing authority over the State’s identity card and not expired)

-- Marriage document showing in addition to the applicant’s name either the applicant’s date of birth (DOB) or age

-- Certified copy of medical record (clinic, doctor, or hospital) or letter providing extract data from the medical record showing in addition to the applicant’s name, the applicant’s DOB or age

-- Health insurance or Medicaid card showing, in addition to the person’s name, either a photograph of the person or his/her DOB

-- School identity card or record (for current school year) showing, in addition to the applicant’s name, either a photograph of the applicant or the applicant’s DOB

However, the acceptability of an identity document must be evaluated on a case by case basis by the office processing the application.

RM 10210.420 List of Documents in Priority of Acceptability for Use as Evidence of Identity:

We cannot accept an application filing receipt or notice of action as evidence of an immigration document, or an immigration document with a “valid from” date in the future.

Exception: We can accept an expired I-551 card accompanied by a Form I-797C (Notice of Action) stating, “Your conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year as evidence of LPR status.”

Normally, an SSN card should be received in the mail within two weeks after the application and required document(s) have been received and verified.

However, when an alien requests an SSN or replacement card, we must verify his or her documents/current status with the appropriate bureau of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). If the initial online verification is not possible through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, we may need to send a Form G-845 to the appropriate DHS Status Verification Office (SVO) for manual verification.

Social Security field offices can submit an additional electronic online verification, which with the majority of applications eliminates the need to send a Form G-845 along with a copy of the applicant’s immigration documents.

However, some applications still require a copy of the immigration document(s) to be mailed to the appropriate DHS SVO along with Form G-845 for manual verification.

Note: If the applicant has changed his/her name after an immigration document, for example, Form I-94, was issued, for example, married and is now using the married name, but has not obtained a corrected immigration document showing the new name; this is not a name discrepancy for enumeration purposes, that is, SAVE clearance, if the applicant can provide an acceptable legal name change document to establish the new name.

The 14-day status expiration limit for assigning an SSN and/or issuing a card applies even if an individual submitted his or her application before being within the 14-day period and entered the 14-day period while waiting for his or her status to be verified.

Our offices can also assist applicants by issuing a notice acknowledging the SSN application while documents are being verified.

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the Form SS-5.

Individuals can contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) by calling the National Customer Service Center toll-free number, 1-800-375-5283, or visiting a local CIS office.

Before going into a CIS office individuals first need to make an INFOPASS appointment:

http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/files/form/i-485.pdfhttp://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-765.pdfhttp://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-765instr.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-751.pdfhttp://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-751instr.pdf

You can find SSN and employment information on the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Web site:

If ineligible to be assigned an SSN, Social Security offices can provide written notice using Form SSA-L676 to explain that an SSN cannot be assigned due to your spouse not having provided authorization to work in the United States for SSN purposes, or evidence of a valid nonwork reason for needing an SSN.

Needing an SSN for school aid or enrollment, tax purposes, private health insurance, banking, credit cards, loans, or to be issued a state professional or driver’s license are NOT valid non work reasons for needing an SSN.

The IRS assigns Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers to aliens for tax purposes who are not eligible to be assigned an SSN. A Form W-7, “Application for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number,” needs to be submitted to receive an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.

A well written response from an obviously knowledgeable SSA employee.http://static-forums.visajourney.com/public/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif

Example:

-- WALSH,

A well written response from an obviously knowledgeable SSA employee. :whistle:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

There's an SSN guide that has a link to the law where a K1 is eligible.

I would write a complaint about the SSA office and suggest their stuff undergo more training. Because you CAN change your address. I did, over the phone in fact. You don't have to but I did because I was getting sent IRS transcripts. It was easy peasy and 100% possible.

It's a shame that some Social Security personnel don't know the rules. My wife arrived on July 26th last year. We were married on the 30th. The next week when we got the official marriage certificate we went to the local office and she applied for her SSAN with no problem. About a week later the card arrived with the annotation "not valid for employment without DHS authorization". I think much of the problem is how often the local office has this situation arise. We live in a community that has lots of international marriages and the local office sees this often.

I would write a complaint about the SSA office and suggest their stuff undergo more training. Because you CAN change your address. I did, over the phone in fact. You don't have to but I did because I was getting sent IRS transcripts. It was easy peasy and 100% possible.

Explain how changing your address with SSA is going to make sure you get your IRS transcripts?

Unless you are receiving Social Security, SSI or Medicare benefits or have applied for them, SSA DOES NOT keep a record of your address. If SSA needs your address, for example, to mail out the yearly Social Security Statement, they get your address from the IRS. If you want to make sure IRS has the correct address, you can submit IRS Form 8822 with IRS, but their records normally update the next time you file your Federal income taxes.

I think much of the problem is how often the local office has this situation arise. We live in a community that has lots of international marriages and the local office sees this often.

I agree that not ever having seen a person with K-1 status apply for an SSN is part of the problem.

Timeline

Well, I went online a few weeks ago to www.ssa.gov and the website states that for online address change, I need a password and I don't have a password, SSA will send the password at my existing address on file. I just filed my 2010 income tax (with new address) and I am not sure if SSA has updated my new address. So, I can't request SSA to send my password via mail as the SSA may send it to my old address.

Also, the SSA website says to call their toll-free number or visit local SSA office for address change. Since, I was at the local SSA office; I asked the SSA staff to change my address. The SSA website does not say anywhere that if an individual is not receiving any benefits then the individual can not change their address by visiting local SSA office.

If I have read somewhere in the SSA website that I can't change my address because I am not receiving any benefits, then I would not have asked the local SSA staff to change my address. I'll just wait for my 2010 Income Tax to be processed and completed so that SSA will have my updated address.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Explain how changing your address with SSA is going to make sure you get your IRS transcripts?

Unless you are receiving Social Security, SSI or Medicare benefits or have applied for them, SSA DOES NOT keep a record of your address. If SSA needs your address, for example, to mail out the yearly Social Security Statement, they get your address from the IRS. If you want to make sure IRS has the correct address, you can submit IRS Form 8822 with IRS, but their records normally update the next time you file your Federal income taxes.

Well that's a bit weird. I definitely got off track there :S

What I meant to write was that when I changed my SSN name, and registered my GC status too, they allowed me to change my address. I thought I needed to do that because I need to file taxes soon and they have our address as Texas, not Iowa. I naturally assumed that changed on their system but maybe there was something going on in the background I didn't know.. I know I was never told that when I changed my address but it did take over 2 months to get my new card (due to a stuff up between USCIS and the SSA) so I could just be remembering wrong.. I DO remember changing my address though. Maybe me changing it with the IRS to get those transcripts changed it already and if I hadn't changed it with the IRS maybe the SSA would have told me then...

Timeline

I agree that not ever having seen a person with K-1 status apply for an SSN is part of the problem.

The sad thing about in SSA local office in EVERETT, WA is that the SSA staff we spoke on the 01/28/2011 and 02/15/2011 told us that "Once a K-1 visa holder with unexpired I-94 but already married and does not have an EAD yet can NOT be given a SSN card". Also, the SSA staff on 01/28/2011 told us "We do this all the time and we are NOT giving you bad advice and we are NOT giving you bad information".

As I stated before, I can not blame the local SSA staff as they only follow what procedures and policies they were trained on. I am just hoping that with the documentation I have shown that came from SSA Regional Office, the next K-1 visa holders will not experience what we have gone through just like those previous K-1 holders before us that went to the Everett, WA SSA local office.

The sad thing about in SSA local office in EVERETT, WA is that the SSA staff we spoke on the 01/28/2011 and 02/15/2011 told us that "Once a K-1 visa holder with unexpired I-94 but already married and does not have an EAD yet can NOT be given a SSN card". Also, the SSA staff on 01/28/2011 told us "We do this all the time and we are NOT giving you bad advice and we are NOT giving you bad information".

As I stated before, I can not blame the local SSA staff as they only follow what procedures and policies they were trained on. I am just hoping that with the documentation I have shown that came from SSA Regional Office, the next K-1 visa holders will not experience what we have gone through just like those previous K-1 holders before us that went to the Everett, WA SSA local office.

I have found that a big problem is SSA employees misinterpreting POMS. RM 10211.420 C2 says a K-3 spouse of U.S. citizen needs an EAD card to be assigned a work authorized SSN. So in their head, fiancé of U.S. citizen now married and spouse of U.S. citizen, must be a K-3 and needs an EAD card.

Edited by I Quit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Haarp425 - thanks so much for all of the detail !

I have to surmise that the SSA krewe in Everett WA are clueless.

Feeling Vindictive? Contact the ombudsman with employee names, request a written report of incompetence be entered in their employee jacket.

Later on, as they try to advance or get a pay raise, this report will be there, for any supervisor to review.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Feeling Vindictive? Contact the ombudsman with employee names, request a written report of incompetence be entered in their employee jacket.

Later on, as they try to advance or get a pay raise, this report will be there, for any supervisor to review.

SSA has no ombudsman. The SSN is going to be assigned, consider yourself lucky. Case closed.

Now if you want to thank the person for contacting the local office and getting things straightened out, I'm sure it will be appreciated. :D

Timeline

Well, I think everyone in that local SSA office have the same mindset regarding valid K-1 visa holders with unexpired I-94 but already married. As stated by "I Quit" that perhaps they treating the K-1 visa holder as K-3 when the K-1 visa holder gets married. Who knows how many married K-1 visa holder with unexpired I-94 were denied of their SSN card at this local SSA office. I am hoping that they have changed their interpretation of a married K-1 visa holder with unexpired I-94 and allow them to get assigned SSN card as long as the the I-94 is not within the 14 days of the expiration date of I-94.

On that day 01/28/2011, I was ready to complain about the treatment I have received at the SSA staff but then I said to myself "maybe they are right or maybe they are wrong" and I was not sure.

I do agree that some SSA staff needs "customer service training with soft skills". I have background in customer service way back in the IS sector.

If one party is somewhat upset, you don't want to get the situation worse and one party must calm down first to try to get the other party to calm down.

Also, if you want to give the other party a bad news like we can't give you SSN card because of blah blah..., you give the other party another option such as other phone number or give the other party information that they need to have first and to come back once they have those other required information. You just don't leave the other party dry with bad news.

Timeline

SSA has no ombudsman. The SSN is going to be assigned, consider yourself lucky. Case closed.

Now if you want to thank the person for contacting the local office and getting things straightened out, I'm sure it will be appreciated. :D

I would like to thank the person who provided me the information on my email as well as for forwarding my message to the local SSA office in Everett, WA but there was no specific name who the email came from but just from SSA.Comments@ssa.gov

I would like to say to the SSA staff who helped me via email, if you happen to read visajourney.com site "Thank you sir or madam for taking time in reading my email regarding obtaining SSN card for my wife and replying to my email".

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I don't do this often - but.

I declare shenanigans / bullsh|t.

SSA indeed has an ombudsman.

Yer the King of SSA, I Quit - you've not found SSA OMBUDSMAN? ####### ?

Shenanigans. Double Portion.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.