faraway717

Any chance husband of American can get tourist visa

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband and I currently reside in his country. However,my husband is trying to schedule his USMLE step 2 exam (only available in the US). Medical licensing requires previous visits to the US. But since he is already married to me, does he have ANY chance to get a B-1 visa to take his exam in New York??

I have not filed any immigration paperwork, and havent registered our marriage with the embassy yet.

Has any married person been able to get a short tourist visa?

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

I doubt very seriously that he will get a tourist visa. His only hope other than going the standard CR1 route because he is married to you is if any employer will sponser him and that's not going to happen since he can't practice in the US until he passes the USMLE

Betsy El Sum

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Other VJers have been successful, but it is difficult to get a tourist visa when married to a American- especially if his purpose is to take US medical exams, indicating he may wish to relocate to the USA. What ties to Egypt does he have? Ie good job, property, enrollment in medical school, non-US citizen kids staying home etc.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There is only one way to find out.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Would his investment in medical school/training be a good tie to Egypt? He is only taking Step 2 right now, and Step 3 requires a different visa (student/researcher?).

Simple logic if he wants to practice in Egypt why is he taking the US test? He should be taking the test for Egypt.

To me his investment in medical school in Egypt would not be considered a good tie to home country.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

My husband and I currently reside in his country. However,my husband is trying to schedule his USMLE step 2 exam (only available in the US). Medical licensing requires previous visits to the US. But since he is already married to me, does he have ANY chance to get a B-1 visa to take his exam in New York??

I have not filed any immigration paperwork, and havent registered our marriage with the embassy yet.

I have several American friends who live in their wives' country and they have visas to live and work in those countries. They have had little problem getting tourist visas for their wives to come visit the states.

N-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

10/20/14...N-400 mailed to Phoenix
--/--/14.. N-400 packet received
--/--/14... Check cashed
--/--/14... NOA1 received (Priority Date 10/10/14)
---/---/14... Biometrics Letter received (Bio set for --/--/14)
---/---/14... Early walk-in for Biometrics (Tampa FL)
---/---/14... In line for interview
---/---/14... Interview completed
---/---/14... Oath letter received
---/---/14... Oath Ceremony!

Timeline

I have several American friends who live in their wives' country and they have visas to live and work in those countries. They have had little problem getting tourist visas for their wives to come visit the states.

That would not be an easy task to achieve….. you can give a shot, but not an easy one.

Since someone is married to USC its assumed that foreign spouse has all intent to immigrate to US and USCIS and CBP officer would assume foreign spouse would enter US on tourist visa and then try for AOS which is not encouraged by immigrations.

Lot of ppl already had 10 yrs B1/2 visa issued and then they got married to USC and they continue to use the B1/2.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

@Harsh I'm not sure if you are familiar with USMLE, but for a foreign doctor to practice in the US, it requires potential residents to make at least 2 visits to the US for clinical observation. The vast majority receive b-1 visas to take the exams as long as they have test dates and an itinerary in place and the exams are quite a long process. Of course they know the doctors are trying to practice in the US but typically it's an easy visa for Docs to receive. I'm just gauging how much our marriage could complicate it or if it's even allowed. Seeing the replies it might be a gamble, but there's only one way to find out...we'll see:/

Timeline

@Harsh I'm not sure if you are familiar with USMLE, but for a foreign doctor to practice in the US, it requires potential residents to make at least 2 visits to the US for clinical observation. The vast majority receive b-1 visas to take the exams as long as they have test dates and an itinerary in place and the exams are quite a long process. Of course they know the doctors are trying to practice in the US but typically it's an easy visa for Docs to receive. I'm just gauging how much our marriage could complicate it or if it's even allowed. Seeing the replies it might be a gamble, but there's only one way to find out...we'll see:/

Faraway717 - you answered your own point, other doctors who wants to practice in US has to take the test - thats fine and they are allowed to come to US to take the test only visa they can enter is B1/2 as there is no other visa for taking test and observation.

At end of 6 months they have to return back they cannot stay in US. Most of these guys are not married to USC, in your case your husband is married to USC which means once he enters on B1/2 he can file for AOS and continue to stay in US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

one post removed for

Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method.

two other posts removed for quoting that post. those posts returned below minus the removed quote:

Its your personal call, but I would not go with advice of not disclosing you ae married to USC.... #1 its a fraud #2 they record everything you say and you put on form.

Remember whenever in long term when you plan to move to US they will have all the previous information in front of them, they had all the information from my interview which I did 10 yrs back.

On top of it you are from Egypt which has higher scrutiny and fraud checks.

You have GOT to be kidding me! There is a question to list all people that are in the US (studying, working,...) and LPR and USC status. Do you think someone's citizenship or permanent residence expires if they're not in the US for a while?

Categories: husband/wife, brother/sister, fiance/fiancee, father/mother

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT offer advice if you don't remember what the form asks for. You're clearly on the way to get a misrep charge to someone you don't even know with all the useful advice you have.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

There are a lot of international medical graduates who take USMLE exams with the obvious intent to practice medicine in US (most that i know of are from India) and for them getting the visa for the sole purpose of taking step2 is a piece of cake regardless of tyhe country they are from. I don`t know how him being married to you would impact on it though. I didn`t hear of this situation before.

Congrats on passing step one though!I know that was hard!

mGDboiw.jpgmGDbm4.png

zzflag019.gif united-states-flag.gif

03/31/2010 filed I129

12/16/2010 Interwiew-Approved

02/07/2011 POE-Chicago

03/16/2011 Wedding!!!

05/23/2011 AOS,EAD,AP apps sent

07/15/2011 EAD, AP approved

10/05/2011 AOS approved

Filed: Timeline
Its your personal call, but I would not go with advice of not disclosing you ae married to USC.... #1 its a fraud #2 they record everything you say and you put on form.

Remember whenever in long term when you plan to move to US they will have all the previous information in front of them, they had all the information from my interview which I did 10 yrs back.

On top of it you are from Egypt which has higher scrutiny and fraud checks.

You have GOT to be kidding me! There is a question to list all people that are in the US (studying, working,...) and LPR and USC status. Do you think someone's citizenship or permanent residence expires if they're not in the US for a while?

Categories: husband/wife, brother/sister, fiance/fiancee, father/mother

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT offer advice if you don't remember what the form asks for. You're clearly on the way to get a misrep charge to someone you don't even know with all the useful advice you have.

I never advised anyone to commit fraud or answer in any way other than truthful.

Does the OP's husband have a spouse in the US? The answer is obviously "NO". As such, it would be actually lying to list his wife as a relative physically inside the United States on that part of the application.

And, yes, someone's LPR status does expire, although the question is asking if such a relative is in the US.

I was not sure/did not remember if the form asked for the spouse of the applicant's nationality. Since the form is only available online now, it's difficult to check without filling out most of the form. I did finally check, and it _DOES_ ask for the nationality of the spouse. As such, the OP's husband would have to disclose that his wife is American.

It is still my opinion that it is very possible for the OP's husband to get a visa based on the circumstances, especially since his wife resides permanently overseas.

Yes, it certainly was not a good idea to respond without checking the form, but nothing in my post advised anyone to misrepresent themselves and/or commit fraud.

Edited by CC90

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.