6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I just received ANOTHER bill from my lawyer, so I have decided to continue this journey without legal help. I am hoping there are plenty of couples out there that are willing to give advice for our next step. My man is entering the country (FINALLY) with a K-1 fiance visa this Saturday!!! We are planning to get married in early August, and I was already looking ahead at all of the upcoming paperwork we will need to complete. I want to make sure I have everything clear- the next things we will need to do are:

1)AOS: I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status), I-864 (affidavit of support), do we need 2 G-325A's filled out, one for my 'husband to be' and one for myself (US citizen), I-693, G-1145

2)EAD: I-765, G-1145

3)AP: I-131, G-1145

I panic a little when I think about doing this without a lawyer, but you guys seem really helpful, so I'm sure I will be fine. Lots of people do this without lawyers.

Our case is a normal one EXCEPT my fiance was found "inadmissible to the United States under section 212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I) of the INA, as an intended Immigrant without a valid Immigrant visa" back in September 2010. This had no effect on getting approved for our K1 visa, so I don't think we will have problems this time around either. It was a BIG misunderstanding and we have plenty of proof that shows we did not know we were doing anything wrong.

NOW, here's my BIG question. When I was looking through the AOS I-485, one of the questions (specifically part 3, #8) asks "Have you EVER been deported from the United States, or removed from the United States at government expense, excluded within the past year, or are you now in exclusion, deportation, removal, or recession proceedings?" I dont know what to put for this question. Technically, he wasn't deported, and the government did not have to pay anything for his return flight. He was just refused admission to the US. What do you guys think I should put for this, yes or no? If i need to put yes, once again, i have plenty of evidence/signatures saying we were innocent to the situation and it shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks for the advice friends!

NOW, here's my BIG question. When I was looking through the AOS I-485, one of the questions (specifically part 3, #8) asks "Have you EVER been deported from the United States, or removed from the United States at government expense, excluded within the past year, or are you now in exclusion, deportation, removal, or recession proceedings?" I dont know what to put for this question. Technically, he wasn't deported, and the government did not have to pay anything for his return flight. He was just refused admission to the US. What do you guys think I should put for this, yes or no? If i need to put yes, once again, i have plenty of evidence/signatures saying we were innocent to the situation and it shouldnt be a problem.

i'd put "no", since he couldn't enter.

besides the 212 was probably because of the lack of ties to his home country, happened to me too once.

and no to the i-130, you are on the right track :)

Edited by beachgod

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I just received ANOTHER bill from my lawyer, so I have decided to continue this journey without legal help. I am hoping there are plenty of couples out there that are willing to give advice for our next step. My man is entering the country (FINALLY) with a K-1 fiance visa this Saturday!!! We are planning to get married in early August, and I was already looking ahead at all of the upcoming paperwork we will need to complete. I want to make sure I have everything clear- the next things we will need to do are:

1)AOS: I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status), I-864 (affidavit of support), do we need 2 G-325A's filled out, one for my 'husband to be' and one for myself (US citizen), I-693, G-1145

2)EAD: I-765, G-1145

3)AP: I-131, G-1145

I panic a little when I think about doing this without a lawyer, but you guys seem really helpful, so I'm sure I will be fine. Lots of people do this without lawyers.

Our case is a normal one EXCEPT my fiance was found "inadmissible to the United States under section 212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I) of the INA, as an intended Immigrant without a valid Immigrant visa" back in September 2010. This had no effect on getting approved for our K1 visa, so I don't think we will have problems this time around either. It was a BIG misunderstanding and we have plenty of proof that shows we did not know we were doing anything wrong.

You can follow the guide here on VJ for AOS, and do it without a lawyer, no problem. Most do it without one. When following the guide, just ask any questions you might have in the AOS forum here on VJ. I am sure you will do just fine :)

After your fiance arrives, go and get his SSN about 2 weeks after he gets here. That is your first step. Then you should be able to add him onto your bank and insurance accounts without a hassle(though my credit union would not add my husband until he had a green card, most seem to be able to with no problem).

Only your husband needs the G-325A, and no, you do not send in the I-130. Oh, and "No" to that question on the I-485, as he was never in the US to be deported from it.

Like I said, follow the guide, ask what you need to ask about, and you will be set. Good luck!

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You already found the thread in my signature and I think you did a good thing firing the lawyer for the AOS. Helpful for the 212 stuff, but pretty useless for AOS given how easy it should be :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.