LA80

Have you ever worked as a freelancer?

13 posts in this topic

Hello!

It seems I am going to end up working as a freelancer/independent contractor. I am considering jobs in the publishing industry, anything that has to do with writing, editing, and translating. I really do not have any experience when it comes to freelancing myself in America. From what I understood, it basically means running your own business, taking care of your own taxes, paying social security, etc. Have you ever been self-employed? Have you ever considered this option? I am really new at this, it might be a great opportunity to build myself professionally, but it is only the beginning, and I do not have much of a vision yet. Any input would be appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Hello!

It seems I am going to end up working as a freelancer/independent contractor. I am considering jobs in the publishing industry, anything that has to do with writing, editing, and translating. I really do not have any experience when it comes to freelancing myself in America. From what I understood, it basically means running your own business, taking care of your own taxes, paying social security, etc. Have you ever been self-employed? Have you ever considered this option? I am really new at this, it might be a great opportunity to build myself professionally, but it is only the beginning, and I do not have much of a vision yet. Any input would be appreciated.

I started working as a freelance content writer and translator just recently. Surely, there is a lot to read and consult on how to go about with your taxes. I suggest you research a bit. So far it's been easy for me to keep track of what I'm making since I'm receiving all my payments via PayPal. However, when it comes time to file taxes, we'll see how I do. Good luck!

Check this out:

http://www.writing.org/html/a_taxes.htm

I started working as a freelance content writer and translator just recently. Surely, there is a lot to read and consult on how to go about with your taxes. I suggest you research a bit. So far it's been easy for me to keep track of what I'm making since I'm receiving all my payments via PayPal. However, when it comes time to file taxes, we'll see how I do. Good luck!

Check this out:

http://www.writing.org/html/a_taxes.htm

Thank you! I am at the very beginning of my business adventure. I am scared a bit because I do not know much about running one's own business. It seems like a very good idea, and I was given a great opportunity recently . When it comes to taxes, I will probably find an accountant eventually, but it is so hard to plan anything because you never know with freelancing. It seems so risky, but it is also very attractive at the same time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Thank you! I am at the very beginning of my business adventure. I am scared a bit because I do not know much about running one's own business. It seems like a very good idea, and I was given a great opportunity recently . When it comes to taxes, I will probably find an accountant eventually, but it is so hard to plan anything because you never know with freelancing. It seems so risky, but it is also very attractive at the same time.

Yeah, well I'm not running a business per say, I'm providing services, which is easier I guess. My husband has an accountant that does his taxes every year, so I would be bringing everything to him when the time comes. For now, I have to keep track of the earnings, receipts, etc.

It's nice to be self-employed because you basically make your own schedule. On the other hand, it's very difficult because when you're starting, you're working ALL the time. Well, that is if you want to see money. :P

Good luck to you, and feel free to contact me if you find an easy way on how to do this freelance stuff.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

There are quarterly (every 3 months) tax filings and deposits that may be required for your self employment business. You also may want to set up a company. Before starting your venture it would be wise to sit down with a CPA to go over what is needed.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

I've read about the SE tax (http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98846,00.html), and I am supposed to become an independent contractor/freelance copy editor. This makes me self-employed. In my state, a sole proprietorship does not have to be registered and there are no fees. Other business structures must be registered.

While I am ready to do everything to fulfill their expectations, I am not sure if the company will be satisfied with my work and if they will keep sending me assignments. Now, this makes me cautious, but they were happy with me so far (I had to take a free course/training provided by them). They say that the work is not guaranteed and that everything depends on my expertise and professionalism. I know that some people really hate those taxes :innocent: , but taxes really do not bother me :whistle: . I just want to get them right, and this is an opportunity I simply cannot miss.

I've been looking for a good job for quite a long time in the USA; I worked as a part-time cook for over a year. I was breathing, eating, and living English for five years in college, and this seems to be my big chance. :blush:

Edited by LA80

I've read about the SE tax (http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98846,00.html), and I am supposed to become an independent contractor/freelance copy editor. This makes me self-employed. In my state, a sole proprietorship does not have to be registered and there are no fees. Other business structures must be registered.

While I am ready to do everything to fulfill their expectations, I am not sure if the company will be satisfied with my work and if they will keep sending me assignments. Now, this makes me cautious, but they were happy with me so far (I had to take a free course/training provided by them). They say that the work is not guaranteed and that everything depends on my expertise and professionalism. I know that some people really hate those taxes :innocent: , but taxes really do not bother me :whistle: . I just want to get them right, and this is an opportunity I simply cannot miss.

I've been looking for a good job for quite a long time in the USA; I worked as a part-time cook for over a year. I was breathing, eating, and living English for five years in college, and this seems to be my big chance. :blush:

Send me a PM on your inquiries. Im here in AZ. I put up my own photography business. I could share you what i learned so far. For IRS concerns, i have weekly updates on what is happening. I could forward you the e-mail so you could be added in the distribution list. The sender is an IRS person, her main function is to inform small businesses for any update.

Edited by rheanick

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Send me a PM on your inquiries. Im here in AZ. I put up my own photography business. I could share you what i learned so far. For IRS concerns, i have weekly updates on what is happening. I could forward you the e-mail so you could be added in the distribution list. The sender is an IRS person, her main function is to inform small businesses for any update.

Thanks a lot! I will as soon as I make a list of questions. Won't be that long.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Post suggesting illegal activity has been removed along with post responding to same

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

for tax purposes, it sounds like yer a sole proprietor, so study the schedule c instructions thoroughly - there's deductions that you'll prolly want to use, reduce yer tax burden.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

There are quarterly (every 3 months) tax filings and deposits that may be required for your self employment business. You also may want to set up a company. Before starting your venture it would be wise to sit down with a CPA to go over what is needed.

Accountants are cool, I am a fan of SCORE (see score.org ) - find yer local office, get appointment, go in, do brain absorption.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.