1965angelbaby

IMMIGRANT VISA APPT.

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO VISIT ANOTHER COUNTRY AND DO YOUR IMMIGRANT VISA APPOINTMENT IN THAT COUNTRY WITHOUT A RESIDENT PERMIT?? MY HUSBAND IS A GHANAIAN AND THE WAIT LIST JUST FOR AN INTERVIEW IS 12-18 MONTHS AFTER THE NVC HAS COMPLETED EVERYTHING. WE ARE TRYING TO WEIGH OUR OPTIONS AND FIND A BETTER PLAN. WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INPUT ON THIS TOPIC.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You can make the request, but the embassy/consulate does not have to honor your request.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

unfortunately,

Per embassy officer (an applicant can not get an interview in another embassy or consulate different than the one the NVC sent the petition to unless they are advised to do so under some circumstances like civil unrest or situations where the embasssy is not open so they do their business , OR if you are a RESIDENT) of another country you might request your petition to be moved to the us consulate of that country)

Since there are only specific cases where they will guarantee such a request so you have no options

But its not gonna hurt if you go a head and email the consulate and see what they will say

Good Luck

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO VISIT ANOTHER COUNTRY AND DO YOUR IMMIGRANT VISA APPOINTMENT IN THAT COUNTRY WITHOUT A RESIDENT PERMIT?? MY HUSBAND IS A GHANAIAN AND THE WAIT LIST JUST FOR AN INTERVIEW IS 12-18 MONTHS AFTER THE NVC HAS COMPLETED EVERYTHING. WE ARE TRYING TO WEIGH OUR OPTIONS AND FIND A BETTER PLAN. WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INPUT ON THIS TOPIC.

YA ALAH Bless Our Joureny To The End , Ameen

Je T'aime Till My Dying Day

I think the State Department requires you to file in the country of your current citizenship. If you're a citizen of country A and you try to interview in country B, the IO in country B (potentially) won't know enough about life and reality in country A to make a valid decision.

U.S. Embassy Accra explains that you just have to be patient, but you probably saw this already:

http://ghana.usembassy.gov/visa_applicant.html

Care,

Bill

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I think the State Department requires you to file in the country of your current citizenship. If you're a citizen of country A and you try to interview in country B, the IO in country B (potentially) won't know enough about life and reality in country A to make a valid decision.

If you are a lawful resident of country B, you can interview in country B.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

As long as you have the resident permit of Country B, you should just be fine.I did changed embassys as well from Accra to Lagos as a result of the Current backlog in Accra.My immigrant interview was originally scheduled to be processed through Ghana cos I was resident in Ghana as at the time but had it changed to Lagos.Note:I am originally from Nigeria but a legal resident in Ghana.It was very easily for me to do that as a Nigeria citizen.So it can be done as long as u have the Legal resident of the country B.Good Luck!

Citizenship window opens since October 26th 2013...
CITIZENSHIP Track:
Eligibility Criteria: 3 years
10-26-2013: Eligibility Date
12-06-2013:Application Sent
12-09-2013: Application Received and Priority Date
12-11-2013: Check Cashed
12-18-2013: Bio-metric Letter sent Date
01-07-2014: Bio-metric Date
01-07-2014: In-line for Interview
05-07-2014: Interview Letter Received
06-09-2014: Interview Passed
07-18-2014: Oath Ceremony
Naturalized as a US citizen!!!

Visa Journey officially Over on 07/18/2014

Glory be to the Lord the giver of all things

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It may not be quite as clear as being pictured. My wife is Mexican, but is a resident of Costa Rica, and has not been a resident of Mexico for quite some time. As we got ready to file everything, we spoke with NVC to see if we could use the embassy in CDJ rather than in San Jose CR, and the answer was absolutely, and no matter which we put on the initial forms, we could change our minds right up until they started scheduling the interview.

Now, it may be that this is possible simply because she is a citizen of Mexico even though she hasn't lived there for years--I don't know, but NVC in our case seemed quite flexible.

I'm sure on the other hand that they don't want everyone embassy shopping to find the best deal, so I am sure there are limits as many here are suggesting.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

No, must hold residence permit in the other country. Doesn't matter where, what matters is the residence permit.

Otherwise - what's up? He has illegal presence in that other country - you are making other trouble for him.

Exception - Iraq and Iran nationals go to Ankara Turkey for interviews, USA not maintain Immigrant Visa branch there yet.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

No, must hold residence permit in the other country. Doesn't matter where, what matters is the residence permit.

Otherwise - what's up? He has illegal presence in that other country - you are making other trouble for him.

Exception - Iraq and Iran nationals go to Ankara Turkey for interviews, USA not maintain Immigrant Visa branch there yet.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!! I DO NOT WANT MY HUSBAND TO BE ILLEGAL ANYWHERE BY THE WAY BUT IT IS POSSIBLE TO HAVE A VISIT VISA SOMEWHERE AND YOUR APPLICATION BE UP FOR APPOINTMENT. BELIEVE ME AFTER THIS PROCESS AM NOT LOOKING TO MAKE TROUBLE FOR ANYONE!!! THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR RESPONSE!!!!!

Timeline

It may not be quite as clear as being pictured. My wife is Mexican, but is a resident of Costa Rica, and has not been a resident of Mexico for quite some time. As we got ready to file everything, we spoke with NVC to see if we could use the embassy in CDJ rather than in San Jose CR, and the answer was absolutely, and no matter which we put on the initial forms, we could change our minds right up until they started scheduling the interview.

Now, it may be that this is possible simply because she is a citizen of Mexico even though she hasn't lived there for years--I don't know, but NVC in our case seemed quite flexible.

I'm sure on the other hand that they don't want everyone embassy shopping to find the best deal, so I am sure there are limits as many here are suggesting.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY TO MY QUESTION!! I UNDERSTAND THE CITIZENSHIP AND RESIDENT DIFFERENCE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. WE WOULD LIKE TO VISIT SOMEWHERE AND SOME COUNTRIES THAT GIVE A VISA THAT CONSIDERS YOU A TEMPORARY RESIDENT OF THAT COUNTRY FOR 6 MONTHS OR MORE DEPENDING ON VISA!!!!I WILL CONSIDER SPEAKING TO THE NVC WHEN THE TIME IS DUE!!!!

Timeline

As long as you have the resident permit of Country B, you should just be fine.I did changed embassys as well from Accra to Lagos as a result of the Current backlog in Accra.My immigrant interview was originally scheduled to be processed through Ghana cos I was resident in Ghana as at the time but had it changed to Lagos.Note:I am originally from Nigeria but a legal resident in Ghana.It was very easily for me to do that as a Nigeria citizen.So it can be done as long as u have the Legal resident of the country B.Good Luck!

I FOUND YOUR INFORMATION HELPFUL AND WELL UNDERSTOOD!!!! CITIZENSHIP AND RESIDENCY IS A TRICKY TOPIC WHEN IT COMES TO THIS PROCESS!!! DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE PROCESS IS FOR A NIGERIAN VISA?? HOW LONG IT TAKES?? HOW LONG U MUST LIVE THERE?? ETC.

Timeline

Happy to Help.I am not too sure of the exact stage of your immigration Journey, Anyway,If you are yet to get to NVC stage then you will have less hassle but if you are already there but you are yet to make the payments then I have a goodnews for you.All you have to do is to mail them(NVC) letting them know of your intention of switching embassy to your proposed country, That way you will only get the country case number once and for all cos in my own case it wasnt like that cos my case was already completed at the NVC with Ghana case Number so I had it changed to Lagos case number and the process took 5weeks but it was worth the wait at the end of the day.The people that had their cases completed b4 me are still waiting for interview in Accra which is crazy! I had 2 interviews in Lagos and I have been in the States for almost 6 months.Case was originally completed on May 7th, 2010 after waiting for interview in Acrra for almost 4 months I had it switch to Lagos and Had my first interview on Dec 1,2010 in Lagos and Had the Second interview Jan 11,2011 for the missing Documents and was Approved right away.If your hubby can get Nigeria Resident permit I am sure he be will fine afterall, I was only a Legal Resident of Ghana and never a Citizen of Ghana my visa would have been approved in Ghana if not the Backlogged.However, he doesnt require a visa to visit Nigeria(Ecowas Treaty) but I guess he does require a Resident visa in order to be considered for immigration benefit in Nigeria.I am not too sure how that will play out cos since he can visit Nigeria without a visa as a member of Ecowas countries, he might be allowed to do his interview there without a permit.Note: I am not too sure about this.I schooled in Ghana so I had 2 year Resident permit which only expired this last April.Try to find out more about this topic but I can assure you that if hes able to get a visitor visa to Any of the European countries he will be able to have his interview done there.I know about the 6 months residency Requirements but I am not too sure if thats is also applicable to an Ecowas member.A vj member called "YOMs" went thru the same process and he was fine.The fiancee only had a visitors visa whilst in England and She was approved(Both Originally from Nigeria but the Yoms Guy became US naturalized citizen) You may PM him as well.God bless.

CITIZENSHIP Track:

Timeline

U.S. Embassy Accra explains that you just have to be patient, but you probably saw this already:

http://ghana.usembassy.gov/visa_applicant.html

Care,

Bill

thanks Bill for the comment!! yeah I am aware of the statement Ghana Consulate has put out but I am not willing to sit and wait for them when so many other embassy's across the globe can do the same process in a fraction of the time. I find the time line unacceptable. I appreciate your input!! God Bless!!!!

Timeline

Happy to Help.I am not too sure of the exact stage of your immigration Journey, Anyway,If you are yet to get to NVC stage then you will have less hassle but if you are already there but you are yet to make the payments then I have a goodnews for you.All you have to do is to mail them(NVC) letting them know of your intention of switching embassy to your proposed country, That way you will only get the country case number once and for all cos in my own case it wasnt like that cos my case was already completed at the NVC with Ghana case Number so I had it changed to Lagos case number and the process took 5weeks but it was worth the wait at the end of the day.The people that had their cases completed b4 me are still waiting for interview in Accra which is crazy! I had 2 interviews in Lagos and I have been in the States for almost 6 months.Case was originally completed on May 7th, 2010 after waiting for interview in Acrra for almost 4 months I had it switch to Lagos and Had my first interview on Dec 1,2010 in Lagos and Had the Second interview Jan 11,2011 for the missing Documents and was Approved right away.If your hubby can get Nigeria Resident permit I am sure he be will fine afterall, I was only a Legal Resident of Ghana and never a Citizen of Ghana my visa would have been approved in Ghana if not the Backlogged.However, he doesnt require a visa to visit Nigeria(Ecowas Treaty) but I guess he does require a Resident visa in order to be considered for immigration benefit in Nigeria.I am not too sure how that will play out cos since he can visit Nigeria without a visa as a member of Ecowas countries, he might be allowed to do his interview there without a permit.Note: I am not too sure about this.I schooled in Ghana so I had 2 year Resident permit which only expired this last April.Try to find out more about this topic but I can assure you that if hes able to get a visitor visa to Any of the European countries he will be able to have his interview done there.I know about the 6 months residency Requirements but I am not too sure if thats is also applicable to an Ecowas member.A vj member called "YOMs" went thru the same process and he was fine.The fiancee only had a visitors visa whilst in England and She was approved(Both Originally from Nigeria but the Yoms Guy became US naturalized citizen) You may PM him as well.God bless.

I am defintely checking into this!! Thank you for the help!!! Am glad you are now in the U.S. and enjoying your reunion with your wife!!! I have updated our timeline to date!! feel free to check it out!!! I am proactive in life and think this is the best way to handle this situation as well. Accra timeline is unacceptable on so many levels. Something I plan on lobbying when I am in the U.S. full time again!!! We need to overhaul the whole immigration system lol but that is a topic for another day!!! TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE~VALUE EACH NEW STEP ALONG THE WAY!!!!!

Timeline

You are most welcome and I wish you all the best.Feel free to PM in case of anything.

CITIZENSHIP Track:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.