ariesgirl1970

Spouse left country on emergency without advane parole

46 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Honestly, thank you all for your help. I feel alittle bit better just having some direction. I understand its a mess and going to be time and money...but at the end of the day, I just want my husband back home.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I think our option is at this point from what I am gathering here, go the CR-1 route as soon as possible, then refile the AOS once he gets here. I dont want to waste anymore time and money filing for the wrong form. This is so confusing, and I also admit, immigration hasnt helped me out by giving answers on what are our options. If we have to file a CR-1 and that also permits him EAD...when filing the AOS, would the $1010.00 go down in price since he will already reieve the EAD from the CR-1?

for CR1 you do not have to do AOS.... when he enters back on CR1 he will enter with status already adjusted.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

NO!!!!!!

They have no options through the Local USCIS Office for 2 reasons:

1) They had no pending AOS Application (I had just been sent and the check wasn't even cashed not to mention they stopped payment on the check) therefore he couldn't even have received AP before leaving.

2) He's out of the country with no Status in the US.

There are always options and nothing is lost by scheduling an infopass (which is one option). The worst that can happen is USCIS says you can only opt for a CR-1 now. Given what the USCIS told them before there is nothing to loose and potentially a lot to gain by going the infopass route.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

He was out of status (and accumulating overstay) between the I-94 expiration date (March 1) and the day he left the U.S. This means he would have less than 180 days and won't be subject to any overstay ban on the CR-1 visa. But, yes, CR-1 is your only option at this point.

And, VWP is out of the question (even for a visit) because of this overstay (even 1 day voids VWP eligibility)

Edited by ryna

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: Country:
Timeline
There are always options and nothing is lost by scheduling an infopass (which is one option). The worst that can happen is USCIS says you can only opt for a CR-1 now. Given what the USCIS told them before there is nothing to loose and potentially a lot to gain by going the infopass route.

Really?

Nothing to Lose? How about wasted time. Get an info-pass appointment and wait another week before filing the I-130 because time is not of the essence, right?

What can they possibly gain?

* They never had a pending AOS as the Check was cancelled BEFORE USCIS could even deposit it.

* He overstayed his I-94 so even if he had received AP it would've been useless.

* There is currently no pending anything with USCIS for him so what would an Info-Pass appointment possibly be able to do for them?

* He also can't use the VWP since he overstayed.

They have one legit option and that's rather straight forward. This isn't one of those cases where all options have been exhausted so it's time to throw a last second "Hail-Mary" pass into the end zone in hopes that a receiver will get there in time to catch it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

CR1

If he wants to visit whilst this is going on he will need a B2 Visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Timeline

There is so much information here, let me get this straightened out.

If you have a fiance in a foreign country, you file an I-129 for him, he gets here, you get married, file for AOS, and then he gets his Green Card.

Now you guys are married, meaning he's no fiance anymore.

He can't come here anymore with the VWP, as he overstayed and thus would need a B2 at the least. He will not be able to get a B2 though, because he overstayed and has immigration intent. It's really super simple!

Now you file an I-130 with USCIS. It costs $420. That petition will be approved and then forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC). NVC will contact you and ask for the Affidavit of Support, the I-864. Once that's taken care of the package is being send to the US Consulate in London. They will contact your husband and he will apply for a CR-1 visa, which is an immigrant visa. He'll have to submit paperwork, such as his birth certificate, the marriage certificate, a police clearance, and a medical. Then there will be an interview. Once approved he will enter the US as a lawful permanent resident (LPR), which is what a Green Card holder formally is. At the airport they will stamp his passport with an I-551 stamp which will give him all rights and duties of a LPR from day one on. The actual Green Card will arrive in the mail a week or two later.

There is no AOS for this, as his status is already that of a LPR when he enters the US. Basically, this is cheaper and more elegant than the K-1 route + AOS that you originally had in mind.

Since your husband seems to make life-changing decisions in the spur of the moment, make sure you read the CR-1/IR-1 Guides carefully and ask questions, if applicable.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

There is so much information here, let me get this straightened out.

If you have a fiance in a foreign country, you file an I-129 for him, he gets here, you get married, file for AOS, and then he gets his Green Card.

Now you guys are married, meaning he's no fiance anymore.

He can't come here anymore with the VWP, as he overstayed and thus would need a B2 at the least. He will not be able to get a B2 though, because he overstayed and has immigration intent. It's really super simple!

Now you file an I-130 with USCIS. It costs $420. That petition will be approved and then forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC). NVC will contact you and ask for the Affidavit of Support, the I-864. Once that's taken care of the package is being send to the US Consulate in London. They will contact your husband and he will apply for a CR-1 visa, which is an immigrant visa. He'll have to submit paperwork, such as his birth certificate, the marriage certificate, a police clearance, and a medical. Then there will be an interview. Once approved he will enter the US as a lawful permanent resident (LPR), which is what a Green Card holder formally is. At the airport they will stamp his passport with an I-551 stamp which will give him all rights and duties of a LPR from day one on. The actual Green Card will arrive in the mail a week or two later.

Thanks Bob, pretty clear cut

There is no AOS for this, as his status is already that of a LPR when he enters the US. Basically, this is cheaper and more elegant than the K-1 route + AOS that you originally had in mind.

Since your husband seems to make life-changing decisions in the spur of the moment, make sure you read the CR-1/IR-1 Guides carefully and ask questions, if applicable.

CR1

If he wants to visit whilst this is going on he will need a B2 Visa.

You can still enter the US while a CR1 is pending and even after a K1 has been issued as long as he only plans to visit and not stay...whoops just realized he overstayed NEVERMIND lol

Edited by jkminney

10-16-2010 Married

03-17-2011 I-130 sent

03-19-2011 I-130 received

03-23-2011 NOA1

03-25-2011 Touch

06-16-2011 NOA2

07-18-2011 NVC Received

07-19-2011 Emailed DS 3032

07-29-2011 Emailed DS 3032 AGAIN-still no response

08-03-2011 AOS Bill Generated

08-03-2011 AOS Bill Paid

08-03-2011 Emailed DS 3032 Yet Again!!!

08-05-2011 Mailed AOS packet

08-08-2011 AOS packet delivered

08-08-2011 DS 3232 accepted

08-09-2011 IV Bill Generated/Paid

08-10-2011 IV marked PAID

08-10-2011 IV packet Mailed

08-11-2011 IV packet delivered

08-16-2011 AOS package processed

08-22-2011 IV packet processed

08-22-2011 SIF/Case Closed

08-25-2011 Interview date received

10-13-2011 Interview-APPROVED

l198oyeua.png

d1emrulw6.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Just a side note. You already have most of the paper work from the K1 process. But it will likely be expired before the CR 1 is done. So plan on getting new police cert, medical or anything that can expire. Don't need RFE delay

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Really?

Nothing to Lose? How about wasted time. Get an info-pass appointment and wait another week before filing the I-130 because time is not of the essence, right?

What can they possibly gain?

* They never had a pending AOS as the Check was cancelled BEFORE USCIS could even deposit it.

* He overstayed his I-94 so even if he had received AP it would've been useless.

* There is currently no pending anything with USCIS for him so what would an Info-Pass appointment possibly be able to do for them?

* He also can't use the VWP since he overstayed.

They have one legit option and that's rather straight forward. This isn't one of those cases where all options have been exhausted so it's time to throw a last second "Hail-Mary" pass into the end zone in hopes that a receiver will get there in time to catch it.

Who says they have to wait until the infopass appointment. There is no legitimate reason they can't file the I-130 while they are waiting for the infopass, not to mention unless they just happen to have all the information and evidence organized and ready to go, it will take some time to gather this. Their actions were based on what USCIS told them to do. Granted USCIS is often wrong, but that doesn't obviate the fact that they can do this and nothing is lost and it establishes a history of why this happened so when the question comes up during the next steps it is already on record.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Timeline
Who says they have to wait until the infopass appointment. There is no legitimate reason they can't file the I-130 while they are waiting for the infopass, not to mention unless they just happen to have all the information and evidence organized and ready to go, it will take some time to gather this. Their actions were based on what USCIS told them to do. Granted USCIS is often wrong, but that doesn't obviate the fact that they can do this and nothing is lost and it establishes a history of why this happened so when the question comes up during the next steps it is already on record.

Since they had assembled the Adjustment of Status Package they will just need to get a few documents updated prior to the new interview but they should have everything for the I-130 already in hand.

Leaving the country for a family emergency seems to be more common than most people realize as I've seen several threads where this happened so I doubt there is any need to "establish a history of what happened" since there was nothing out of the ordinary here.

They want to hasten their reunion, that is the focus and that's where they should concentrate their efforts. Once the I-130 id filed little side trips like an infopass appointment are fine but the first priority should be getting that I-130 to USCIS.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Since they had assembled the Adjustment of Status Package they will just need to get a few documents updated prior to the new interview but they should have everything for the I-130 already in hand.

Leaving the country for a family emergency seems to be more common than most people realize as I've seen several threads where this happened so I doubt there is any need to "establish a history of what happened" since there was nothing out of the ordinary here.

They want to hasten their reunion, that is the focus and that's where they should concentrate their efforts. Once the I-130 id filed little side trips like an infopass appointment are fine but the first priority should be getting that I-130 to USCIS.

offtopic45vn.gif

"Leaving the country for a family emergency seems to be more common than most people realize as I've seen several threads where this happened..."

I know it doesn't apply in this case, but this is why I always suggest to people that they should file for AP along with AOS even though they are "110% sure" that they have no pre-GC travel plans. Life happens...

Edited by ryna

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Timeline

offtopic45vn.gif

"Leaving the country for a family emergency seems to be more common than most people realize as I've seen several threads where this happened..."

I know it doesn't apply in this case, but this is why I always suggest to people that they should file for AP along with AOS even though they are "110% sure" that they have no pre-GC travel plans. Life happens...

And file for Adjustment of Status (AOS) as soon as humanly possible like before entering into overstay...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.