bigtex26

Getting married now - still use K-1?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

K-1 its easier and quicker in my opinion

Actually K-1 start to finish isn't faster and certainly not easier. With the K-1 there is a whole additional process and list of expenses that you have to go through after your SO arrives in the US. The time from initial filing for a K-1 vs a CR-1 is pretty comparable with a "routine" CR-1's taking about 8 to 10 months now. The fees are a little higher for the CR-1, but once your SO is here then you don't have the additional steps and fees that the K-1 has and your SO gets a green card at entry (well some time for it to arrive in the mail) while K-1 doesn't so work, school and in many states now, drivers licenses are all put on hold for the K-1. Another factor that plays in is Mexico has electronic processing so the amount of time spent at the NVC for a CR-1 is about 4 to 6 weeks so it doesn't add a significant amount of time.

Regardless of that if you are already getting married next week then you don't have a choice.

Edited by Casprd

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; I get so tired of people who wants to petition for something that they don't even know what it means...

DO RESEARCH BEFORE YOU WANT TO DO ANYTHING FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

; I get so tired of people who wants to petition for something that they don't even know what it means...

DO RESEARCH BEFORE YOU WANT TO DO ANYTHING FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DB

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I'm going to be getting married (Civil) to my fiance in Mexico in a week.

Before our decision for this, I had everything ready to go with my K-1 visa application.

My question is, should I continue my plans to get her to the U.S. through the K-1 fiance visa, then marry her in the U.S.?

Or is it easier (or quicker) to get her up her through another application/process?

Bonus question: When we have our civil marriage in Mexico, will that automatically mean we are legit married in the U.S.? Will it stand for anything or will we have to have another civil marriage in the U.S. when she gets here?

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

Don't change mid stream it could delay you, if you applied for K1. It is slow but hang in there, trade friendship rings. If no application then apply as married. Most think K1 is faster it took us from start to marriage 10 months. Then back on the waiting bandwagon for EAD and green card interview. Date you mail for I485 and their acceptance is about 30.

Edited by bigdog

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I think this is rude. If you don't want to read it don't read it. Our site is designed for people to ask questions. If you don't like questions you can remove yourself from the website you can stop reading threads. This site is educational and is designed for friendly interactions.

I'm not trying to be rude... If you have questions after filed for K1/I-129f, that I understand. But my point is, before you file, you need to know what this Visa actually means.

Anyways, I am not going further into this. I won't remove myself from the website, duh, I gave my opinion, and if you don't like it, don't read it nor reply to it.

To the OP: Good luck for the rest of the journey!!

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

These threads are posted for informational purposes as well as opinions, but practically shouting (Caps lock kinda means you're infuriated or trying to get a point across, especially with the !!!!!! at the end) that YOU get tired of people basically asking questions.. Sure, they should've researched it more, but isn't that what this site is about? To help get more sources and information? I've seen you post before and I've actually thought you were a credible person, but what you posted was rude.. Sorry...

It's one thing to give an opinion, but it's another thing to give an opinion and be rude about it when I'm sure if he was expecting this kind of response, he wouldn't have posted this.

Filed: Other Timeline

Given the choice between filing a K-1 and waiting and finally traveling to the US and getting married there and then filing for AOS . . . . for $1,070, and waiting another 3 to 5 months before she can get a driver's license or can work, and . . . .

getting married in Mexico and filing for an CR-1 (K-3 is dead and buried), and entering the US as a Green Card holder and not having to go through the dreaded and expensive AOS process and being able to get a driver;s license and work from day 1 on . . .

the CR-1 wins hands down.

It's so much better, that the K-1 is totally a non-viable option for people who can get married first. It's like figuring out if you choose a house or a trailer if both were free.

That's a no brainer, like totally!

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Given the choice between filing a K-1 and waiting and finally traveling to the US and getting married there and then filing

It's so much better, that the K-1 is totally a non-viable option for people who can get married first. It's like figuring out if you choose a house or a trailer if both were free.

Except if you wait for a K-1, your fiance can visit the US during the process (assuming you are in a VWP country, and you do it carefully). I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let you in if you were waiting for a CR-1.

Timeline

(K-3 is dead and buried)

This is the only part of your post that is not correct. The provision of the LIFE Act that created the K3 has never been repealed and there have been recent instances of the USCIS sending an I-129F that was filed in conjunction with an I-130 to the NVC so it arrives there first, thus the K3 goes forward.

Agree with everything else you wrote.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Okay, then we may rethink getting married in Mexico.

I checked CR1 - looks very similar to K-3... Is the only difference the fact that CR1 gives permanent residence automatically? Sorry for delving into a newb question.

Have you filed the K-1 Petition yet? You haven't filled out your timeline.

Except if you wait for a K-1, your fiance can visit the US during the process (assuming you are in a VWP country, and you do it carefully). I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let you in if you were waiting for a CR-1.

If you are from a VWP country it's just as easy to visit while waiting for a CR1 as a K1 - it just depends on the CO at the POE and if necessary any evidence you have that you'll return home at the end of your trip. I visited multiple times - 4 or 5 while in the middle of the CR1 process.

And I assume people with an already existing tourist visa have the same options.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Given the choice between filing a K-1 and waiting and finally traveling to the US and getting married there and then filing for AOS . . . . for $1,070, and waiting another 3 to 5 months before she can get a driver's license or can work, and . . . .

getting married in Mexico and filing for an CR-1 (K-3 is dead and buried), and entering the US as a Green Card holder and not having to go through the dreaded and expensive AOS process and being able to get a driver;s license and work from day 1 on . . .

I agree with everything said here with one important missed downside: CR1 is at least 1-2 months longer, which was important for me. In addition, CR1 requires more proof of ongoing relationship and often longer relationship than K1 does. If you do not care about your fiancee working from day 1, you can find the way to drive in most states. In most states you can apply for DL immediately, pass driving test, get married immediately. The DL will be valid until I94 expires. Most of the time if you do everything promptly by the time your I94 expires you will get EAD card and this is sufficient to get temporary DL for another 60 days until your GC arrives. The rest is the same as with GC.. bank accounts, etc.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.