Curious george

Filing AOS after expiration of my I-94

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hello everyone! After reading through so many informative posts on this forum, there is one question I can't seem to find a clear answer to (what I have read at least conflicts with what I was told by the immigration officer at the port of entry).

I was admitted to the US on a K-1 classification and informed at my time of arrival that it was necessary that I not only got married within the 90 day period, but that I also filed for AOS before the expiration of my I-94. However, I have heard that other people have been able to successfully file AOS after their I-94 expired.

Our problem is that due to unforeseen circumstances my wife needed urgent surgery (not covered by healthcare) and that we can not afford the $1200 to file AOS prior to the expiration of my authorized stay (we will however be able to do so in a couple of months time).

I understand that a K-1 cannot be extended so once my I-94 expires I will be out of status and will have serious problems returning if I leave the US prior to filing AOS. I would really appreciate some clarification as to whether filing AOS is acceptable after the expiration of my I-94 and if there is anything I should be prepared for if doing so (obviously I must not say anything about the financial reason).

Any advice is much appreciated! :)

You can file after your I-94 expires. As long as you were married during the 90 days you fulfilled the terms of your visa. There will be no consequences on your AOS.

However... You will have no status and not be able to work OR travel until you file for AOS. You will be accruing days of illegal presence. Once you file AOS (when it is approved) your days of illegal presence will be effectively erased by the issuance of your greencard.

You will have serious problems if you try to leave and return prior to filing and approval of AOS. You won't be able to return, and you will have to file for a CR-1 spousal visa. However, if it's just a few months, you can stay here and work through your medical issues and get healthy and file AOS and you'll get your Greencard. Best of luck!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Cheers Harpa! Thank you so much for the info. Because the lapse of time from the expiration of my I-94 to filing AOS is technically illegal presense I wanted to be sure! my wife and I have already been joking about how I will need to lay low and not drive etc so our social life will need to come to us! I don't like to take chances with immigration after a bad experience trying to extend my stay once before.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Cheers Harpa! Thank you so much for the info. Because the lapse of time from the expiration of my I-94 to filing AOS is technically illegal presense I wanted to be sure! my wife and I have already been joking about how I will need to lay low and not drive etc so our social life will need to come to us! I don't like to take chances with immigration after a bad experience trying to extend my stay once before.

I waited about 4-5 months because of several reasons. It's a bit stressful being out of status and yeah, I didn't go out too much! AOS is currently costing $1070. It would be best if you could borrow that money from someone but I also understand that isn't as easy as some would think. If you're having money issues already then getting your EAD asap would be best esp if your wifes condition (not asking you to disclose it) means she may be "out of action" for a while. Not to mention the fee has gone up since I applied and you don't want to end up waiting till it goes up again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I have already been joking about how I will need to lay low and not drive
This is no joke. Do everything possible to avoid contact with ICE or CBP agents, and file as soon as possible.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.