rsa1205

How long to get SS card changed?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hey guys,

We received notification that our EAD is being produced (woohoo!), anyways, my wife's SS card says "not valid for work"..it does NOT say "not valid without DHS authorization"..is it correct that once the EAD arrives, that my wife must take her EAD and SS card and get it changed to take away the "not valid for work"..? Also, how long does this process take? Is it an easy one? Once the EAD arrives, can she begin applying for work, or does she have to wait for the new SS card? Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

She can work regardless, I didn't change that note on my SSC until I received my GC, the process is a breeze once EAD as been received just take it with that and they will change it for her, and usually takes 1-4 weeks for SSC to arrive in the mail.

GC usually arrive 90 days after EAD has been issued.

Edited by katiemanny

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Filed: Other Timeline

She can have it changed, and in fact she probably should have it changed, which will take about 7 days. That said, there's no emergency to change the card. I had mine until I became a US citizen, and I would still have it except that I changed my name at the naturalization stage.

If your wife wants to work, she will be asked if she is "authorized to work in the United States." Well she is.

Once she's being hired, she will have to fill out an I-9 form.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

She then will have to provide either one document from LIST B and one document from List C to prove her identity and her authorization to work, or one document from LIST A. The Green Card and the EAD are on this LIST A, meaning she could pull this off without ever having to show anyone her SS card. There is really no need to pull the card out again. All she will need is the number, and that never changes.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Yes, the EAD is a List A document on the I-9 and can stand alone as proof of ID and proof of work eligibility. As long as she knows her SSN (which she does), there is no problem.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

It does not appear that you are adjusting status from a family-based visa (not that I can see from your previous posts - it might be helpful - both to you and others - if you created a profile with timeline) :thumbs: .

Presumably this SS card was issued previously (from some point in the past - before marriage) - hence the different annotation than what might be typically found on a K-1 entrants card, for example.

The EAD is valid for work so she can now work. The EAD card by itself is not (not that I'm aware) sufficient to get the annotation on the SS card removed - that should be the PR/Green Card, once it is issued. My logic is, if the annotation were removed, then she wouldn't have to show the EAD any longer - which defeats the purpose.

**Topic being moved from Family Based AOS to Working & Traveling During US Immigration, where it may be most appropriate.

Filed: Timeline

Hey guys,

We received notification that our EAD is being produced (woohoo!), anyways, my wife's SS card says "not valid for work"..it does NOT say "not valid without DHS authorization"..is it correct that once the EAD arrives, that my wife must take her EAD and SS card and get it changed to take away the "not valid for work"..? Also, how long does this process take? Is it an easy one? Once the EAD arrives, can she begin applying for work, or does she have to wait for the new SS card? Thanks!

No matter what they say, DO NOT DO NOT give up the older card until you receive the new one. Say the dog ate it. LOL

A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document, for example, Form I-766.

RM 10212.001 Defining the Legal Name for an SSN:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001

When an individual previously issued a Social Security number (SSN) card with “NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT” printed on it has received work authorization, he or she can apply for a replacement SSN card that reflects the new immigration status.

An alien issued temporary authorization to work, for example, Form

I-766, will be issued an SSN card with “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION,” printed on the card.

An alien applying for a work-authorized replacement SSN card must present evidence to establish identity and employment authorization.

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA cannot accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative value of documents.

Primary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Form I-766, Employment Authorization card in combination with an unexpired foreign

passport

Note: Document must be unexpired

RM 10210.405 Evidence of Identity for an SSN Card:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210405

RM 10210.420 List of Documents in Priority of Acceptability for Use as Evidence of Identity:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210420

Employment Authorization Documents (unexpired):

-- I-766

Take the required documents to the nearest Social Security office or Card Center.

You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Applicants who live or receive mail in the Brooklyn, NY, Queens, NY, Phoenix, AZ, Orlando, FL, Sacramento, CA, or Las Vegas, NV area should apply at their local Social Security Card Center.

Individuals residing in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN area should apply at the Twin Cities Card Center.

Card Center Information:

http://www.ssa.gov/cardcenters/cardcenterinfo.html

SSA treats an application brought in by someone other than the applicant as a mail-in application when the applicant has signed the application and provided the required evidence.

When an application is received by mail or brought to the office by someone other than the number holder, the photo on the picture identity document cannot be compared to the applicant. Therefore, unless the applicant is present and the photo can be compared to him/her, a picture identity document must also show the person’s biographical information, for example, age, date of birth, or parents’ names, that can be compared to the data on the application and the SSN record.

Normally, an SSN card should be received in the mail within two weeks after the application and document(s) have been received and verified.

However, when an alien requests an SSN or replacement card, SSA must verify his or her documents/current status with the appropriate bureau of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). If the initial online verification is not possible through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA may need to send a Form G-845 to the appropriate Bureau of DHS for manual verification.

Social Security field offices can submit an additional electronic online verification, which with the majority of applications eliminates the need to send a Form G-845 along with a copy of the applicant’s immigration documents.

However, some applications still require a copy of the immigration document to be sent to the appropriate bureau of DHS along with Form G-845 for manual verification.

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the application.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document, for example, Form I-766.

RM 10212.001 Defining the Legal Name for an SSN:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001

When an individual previously issued a Social Security number (SSN) card with “NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT” printed on it has received work authorization, he or she can apply for a replacement SSN card that reflects the new immigration status.

An alien issued temporary authorization to work, for example, Form

I-766, will be issued an SSN card with “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION,” printed on the card.

An alien applying for a work-authorized replacement SSN card must present evidence to establish identity and employment authorization.

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA cannot accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative value of documents.

Primary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Form I-766, Employment Authorization card in combination with an unexpired foreign

passport

Note: Document must be unexpired

I was having the discussion with someone about this. Do you have the link that discusses the part about "work authorisation" versus "not valid for employment?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Awesome! :) Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.