mike42979

Who makes the financial decisions between You and your Spouse?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Who makes the decision in your relationship regarding any purchases in the household, Is it discussed and decided mutually or is it ok to just got out and make a purchase without telling your other half first. I am not sure of what is correct and would like everyone's thoughts on what is an acceptable amount of money for you or your spouse to spend without having to ask or inform your second half of the purchase?

My Proposal to kristine!!! :)

I-129F Sent : 2011-01-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-01-25

I-129F RFE(s): NONE!!!

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-02

Interview Date : 2011-09-01

Interview Result : Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

If its a puchase over $200 id talk about it with your other half but if its only $2 i would say its ok, unless you make like 10 $2 purchases a day then you may have a issue

K1 Timeline
07/01/10- K1 Mailed
07/16/10- NOA1 Hardcopy
12/15/10- NOA2 Hardcopy Received
02/16/11- Interview at 10am London Embassy
02/24/11- Visa in Hand
02/27/11- POE - Minneapolis

AOS Timeline
04/22/11- AOS, EAD, AP sent today
04/28/11- AOS, EAD, AP Notice Date
05/04/11- Hard copy of NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP
05/12/11- Early Biometric walk in(Scheduled for 05/31/2011)
05/12/11- I-485 Case Transferred to CSC
06/13/11- AOS approved, card production ordered
06/20/11- Green Card Recieved

ROC Timeline

04/25/13- ROC package sent

04/26/13- ROC pack delivered

my answer for that is me he endorsed all his salary together with the paystub but ill try to make sure that i set aside his allowance for the whole week and confident that i paid all the utilities. he trusted me a lot in terms of money handling he knows how i handle it. up to the last cent he earns because i treasure every single cent i spent because i know how he works for that and i dont want him to think that i spent and spent and put all his money in waste ill make sure that i audit everything and have a record on it and i found it very helpful also because i can compare my previous expenses to my present and how long does it last in terms of grocery items or anything that we bought for consumption and he likes the way i did it. and ill share you this scenario that happened last month ,he was surprised when i gave him money for repairing the car because at that time its not salary day and he was quiet and he said when he came home that our car was having problem and he mentioned it was a wrong timing and i know what he meant for that and i said ok lets go and have it estimate to the nearest autoshop and i showed the money i kept as our savings and he was surprised about it and he appreciated me for doing this i emphasized to him that this money is really intended for emergency matters and now me need it so here it is and he gave me a big smile and a kiss and hug for that and he said you really deserve to be my wife and so thankful that i have you as my wife.

It depends on the context. I mean, if you're a millionaire then you probably don't have to discuss diamonds, but otherwise it wouldn't be a good idea to just go out and buy them ;)

Every couple is different. Some couples integrate their finances completely, others keep two separate accounts and, to a certain extent, still have their "own" money. Some things you just have to learn as you go along: the two of you work out what things you need to know and what you don't. If you are living on a limited budget then the person with greater knowledge of the income and bills may need to "ok" any expenditure over a certain amount, whether it's an essential purchase or a frivolous one. The more you communicate, the quicker you will work out what works for you.

If one of you is a saver and one a spender then you will have to learn how to compromise. Personally, I don't always like it when my husband buys me something, but I've learnt to just appreciate any gifts he gives me and not worry about the money. He knows not to do it too often :-)

Immediately upon arrival in the US, the US citizen is probably the one with an income and with the bills all set up, whereas the immigrant will have no income (though may have savings in some cases) and little knowledge of the daily running of the household. (Well, unless you've already spent time talking about it. But you still may not know what day the electric bill is due!) So initially the US citizen is probably the partner with more responsibility, and you need to be prepared to just learn more about how everything is currently set up, and not go out and spend all the money suddenly haha. But over time it may be that you are the one who takes over more of the responsibility, if you happen to be more financially minded.

I'm now in charge of paying the bills and keeping a budget. But I don't feel I need to be controlling in any way. I trust my husband to exercise discretion when he makes a purchase, and I know he will ask me first before making a joint purchase (such as something for the house), just as I would ask him. (And that's not about money so much as what the thing is.) However, if there are times when money is tight and we have some bills or checks that will be coming out of our account and I know we can't spend money that month, then I will tell him to check with me before buying something.

We just got a credit card though so that won't matter so much. If you and your spouse are both responsible enough to only use a credit card for what you can afford, and to pay it off every month, then it can be a great way to have only a joint account but not to have to worry about, say, both of you making purchases which, combined, take too much money out of your account :-)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good Post Mike and a future Reality.

The K-1 Visa means no Work Card for the Beneficiary when the CR-1 has one but still it requires time to adapt to the the US. This puts the Fiancee' at a uneven balance. You know the souroundings and she don't. I think Mav will let me get way with alittle at first but stop me Dead in my Tracks later.

JoannaV had a great reply to your post. But remember, the Petition was a CR-1 and not a K-1. There is a big difference.

Good Post Mike. Now my humor in this I been staring at for One Hour and could'nt reply to such a simple question.

This IS WHAT YOU SHOULD NOT DO:

Come home and tell your Pinay. "Honey" I got you a Bowling Ball !

Whats a Bowling Ball Hun?

Try and Score a 300.

I can't pick it up! Whats the holes for?

Thats for your fingers babe.

How much did it cost for this Round Rock?

$129.00 dollars and they even threw-in a terry cloth.

It don't fit my fingers she says, it fits yours.

Well, Honey thats why it's not returnable, They already Drilled the Holes.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If it is over about 100 dollars, and not a normal household purchase (groceries, gas etc), we would at least inform eachother, but not necessarily consult eachother- for example my husband may decide to buy some cigars for his own birthday, and tell me he will do so, but he makes the decision by himself. Or I want a new linen set, and he may say "ok, as long as it's not pink", and I'll purchase it.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If it is over about 100 dollars, and not a normal household purchase (groceries, gas etc), we would at least inform eachother, but not necessarily consult eachother- for example my husband may decide to buy some cigars for his own birthday, and tell me he will do so, but he makes the decision by himself. Or I want a new linen set, and he may say "ok, as long as it's not pink", and I'll purchase it.

Yes i understand this situation but what if he said its not needed and told you not to buy the linen set what would you do then? And then of course it goes the other way as well, what happens when one of you say no?

My Proposal to kristine!!! :)

I-129F Sent : 2011-01-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-01-25

I-129F RFE(s): NONE!!!

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-02

Interview Date : 2011-09-01

Interview Result : Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes i understand this situation but what if he said its not needed and told you not to buy the linen set what would you do then? And then of course it goes the other way as well, what happens when one of you say no?

We'd discuss it. I would not make a major purchase if he disagreed with it and same for him, because our money is ours, even though I am the only one working at this time. Usually, we'd come to a compromise- for example if we are tight on money, instead of buying a case of cigars he might buy one, or wait until 4th July rather than his birthday (early June)- or he may decide not to buy, and then I'll see about putting some money aside and surprise him with them. If he feels we have too many bed linen already, I might explain that they are all too hot for Arkansas summers :P or that a couple of them are getting frayed and ready for rag use, or just that I saw a really pretty set that I want. I'll be honest, he gives in more than me, he likes to spoil me, but we have never had a major argument over money.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Pretty much mutual, although i think its fine to make a decision alone sometimes. Its normally only discussed in detail if I feel Nick wouldnt agree with my choice!

Nick (USC) and Amy (UKC)

03/08 - Met at University in Albuquerque, NM

08/08 - Back to UK for a few years of travelling UK>US!

10/10 - Wedding Day!

s88ndknc8v.png

USCIS

11/16/10: I-130 package mailed

11/18/10: Express Mail tracking shows delivered

11/23/10: Online banking shows check cleared!

11/26/10: Touched

11/29/10: NOA1 arrives!(dated as 11/18/10)

03/17/11: Touched

04/08/11: I-130 APPROVAL!!

141 days from NOA1 to NOA2

NVC

27/04/11: Emailed Choice of Agent form

~{gap as I spent the summer in England}~

03/11/11: Paid AOS and IV fees

04/11/11: AOS and IV fees shown as PAID

08/11/11: AOS Packet sent

09/11/11: IV Packet sent

18/11/11: RFE received requesting AOS packet (which had already been sent)

21/11/11: RFE received requesting 2010 tax return

22/11/11: Sent 2010 tax return

29/11/11: CASE COMPLETE!!!

26 days through NVC

EMBASSY

10/12/11: Medical @ Bentnick Mansions

30/01/12: Interview @ 9am [APPROVED!!]

01/02/12: Passport with visa inside, and medical packet arrive via courier

02/03/12: Flight to Denver!