^_^

Immigration: The United States v Canada

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

As a matter of national policy, Canada actively solicits immigrants and has done so for years. The public supports this and the default political assumption is in support of continued immigration. According to a recent poll, only a third of Canadians believe immigration is more of a problem than an opportunity, far fewer than any other country included in the survey. Rather, Canadians are concerned about "brain waste" and ensuring that foreign credentials are appropriately recognised and rewarded in the job market? Being an immigrant is also no barrier to being a proper Canadian; in parliamentary elections earlier this month, 11% of the people elected were not native. This warm embrace isn't just a liberal abstraction; 20% of Canadians are foreign-born.

Why is Canadian public opinion so different from views in United States?

At a conference yesterday, Jeffrey Reitz, a sociologist at the University of Toronto, cited two big explanations for the difference. The first was that Canadians are convinced of the positive economic benefits of immigration—to the extent that towns under economic duress are especially keen to promote immigration, because they believe immigrants will create jobs. Even unemployed Canadians will stoutly insist that immigrants do not take work away from the native born. This makes sense, as most immigrants to Canada are authorised under a "points" system tied to their credentials and employment potential. About half of Canadian immigrants have bachelor's degrees. They may have a higher unemployment rate than native-born workers, Mr Reitz said, and they benefit from programmes and services created specially for immigrants, such as language training. But the preponderance of evidence suggests that Canada's immigrants, being high-skilled, are net contributors.

Mr Reitz's second explanation was that Canadians see multiculturalism as an important component of national identity. In one public opinion poll, Mr Reitz said, multiculturalism was deemed less important than national health care but more important than the flag, the Mounties, and hockey. Irene Bloemraad, a sociologist at the University of California at Berkeley, picked up this theme. There wasn't such a thing as a purely Canadian passport, she said, until 1947. Canada was, psychosocially, very much a part of the British commonwealth until quite recently. When it came time to create a distinctively Canadian identity, the country included a large and vocal Francophone minority (as well as a considerable number of first peoples). The necessity of bilingualism contributed to a broader public commitment to multiculturalism, which persists today.

Other factors allow Canada to be more inviting. The country has little reason to worry about illegal immigration. Like the United States, it shares a long southern border with a country suffering from high levels of crime, unemployment and income inequality. But there aren't millions of Americans yearning to get into Canada. To put it another way, the United States's buffer zone from the eager masses is a shallow river. Canada's is the United States.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/05/immigration?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/bl/unitedstatesandcanada

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

As a matter of national policy, Canada actively solicits immigrants and has done so for years. The public supports this and the default political assumption is in support of continued immigration. According to a recent poll, only a third of Canadians believe immigration is more of a problem than an opportunity, far fewer than any other country included in the survey. Rather, Canadians are concerned about "brain waste" and ensuring that foreign credentials are appropriately recognised and rewarded in the job market? Being an immigrant is also no barrier to being a proper Canadian; in parliamentary elections earlier this month, 11% of the people elected were not native. This warm embrace isn't just a liberal abstraction; 20% of Canadians are foreign-born.

At a conference yesterday, Jeffrey Reitz, a sociologist at the University of Toronto, cited two big explanations for the difference. The first was that Canadians are convinced of the positive economic benefits of immigration—to the extent that towns under economic duress are especially keen to promote immigration, because they believe immigrants will create jobs. Even unemployed Canadians will stoutly insist that immigrants do not take work away from the native born. This makes sense, as most immigrants to Canada are authorised under a "points" system tied to their credentials and employment potential. About half of Canadian immigrants have bachelor's degrees. They may have a higher unemployment rate than native-born workers, Mr Reitz said, and they benefit from programmes and services created specially for immigrants, such as language training. But the preponderance of evidence suggests that Canada's immigrants, being high-skilled, are net contributors.

Mr Reitz's second explanation was that Canadians see multiculturalism as an important component of national identity. In one public opinion poll, Mr Reitz said, multiculturalism was deemed less important than national health care but more important than the flag, the Mounties, and hockey. Irene Bloemraad, a sociologist at the University of California at Berkeley, picked up this theme. There wasn't such a thing as a purely Canadian passport, she said, until 1947. Canada was, psychosocially, very much a part of the British commonwealth until quite recently. When it came time to create a distinctively Canadian identity, the country included a large and vocal Francophone minority (as well as a considerable number of first peoples). The necessity of bilingualism contributed to a broader public commitment to multiculturalism, which persists today.

Other factors allow Canada to be more inviting. The country has little reason to worry about illegal immigration. Like the United States, it shares a long southern border with a country suffering from high levels of crime, unemployment and income inequality. But there aren't millions of Americans yearning to get into Canada. To put it another way, the United States's buffer zone from the eager masses is a shallow river. Canada's is the United States.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/05/immigration?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/bl/unitedstatesandcanada

#

Canada has less population than California. The vast majority live within easy driving distance of the USA so they can get medical care and buy stuff without paying the 15% sales tax. It is cold. They are annoyingly polite. If they were allowed to carry guns they would pull them out and force you to have a nice day! :angry: Bascially, they need to tie pork chops around their neck to get dogs to play with them. That is why they have a loose immigration policy. A lot of the immigrants only use their policy to get within walking disatnce of the USA anyway. Since we ended the draft the population has probably declined.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife has several relatives that have immigrated to Canada in the last 4 years and they are now trying to get us to move up there as well. I'd consider it under the right circumstances.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

OMG! :lol: Unless of course you live in Vancouver or Toronto. It's like Asian illegal hell there.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

My wife has several relatives that have immigrated to Canada in the last 4 years and they are now trying to get us to move up there as well. I'd consider it under the right circumstances.

Global warming? Privatized health care?

:lol: not even close to being true. sorry, you lose again.

Did you think I was being serious? Seriously?

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Too Asian for your tastes, eh?

nah, nothing is too asian for my tastes actually. I'm just saying their Asian problem is like our Latino problem.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

how about national health care? :hehe:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

http://www.economist...statesandcanada

Mostly political propaganda. Canada has 2 countries within (Quebec and the rest of Canada) ... somewhat like the US. The opinions and views are different within each.

Funny-quotes-Daffy-Duck.jpg

Timeline

Mostly political propaganda. Canada has 2 countries within (Quebec and the rest of Canada) ... somewhat like the US. The opinions and views are different within each.

And people from both countries flood into the US for health care.

Vermont is moving toward a single payer health plan for its residents and immediately the Quebec premier had to meet with our governor to determine if Quebecois would still be able to escape to Vermont for medical care or if he would have to have 30% sales tax to cover the people who could no longer go elsewhere. Not to worry...we need them to support our medical infrastructure so we don;t have to go to Boston. The pro-forma for a hospital here includes 2 million hungry Quebecois just across the border. Some of the people from the Ottowa area of Ontario also come here, but most of them go to New York.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Timeline

Is it Spring already?

Hard to tell for me, as we have nice weather all year round: never cold, never really hot, but sunshine and blue skies about 330 days a year. I don't need a heater nor do I need air conditioning. Yesterday we had 80 degrees and I rode my Harley Road King around Lake Casitas, which is only 15 minutes away from my house. A couple of weeks ago my wife and I rented a small boat there and had a champagne brunch right on the lake in one of the hidden coves. We actually spotted a pair of wild Bald Eagles while relaxing and enjoying the privilege of living here. My house is only 5 minutes away from the beach and I can't imagine a better place to live than right here on the American Rivera. Monaco comes close, and there are some lovely places in the South of France and some other parts of the world, but taking everything into consideration, I think I hit the jackpot.

Would I move to Canada? No. How about if somebody offered me a job for $1,000,000 per year? No.

Not that I don't like money or could use more of it, or wouldn't like a bigger house, but there are things in life that money cannot make up for. Imagine somebody offered you $10,000,000 per year if you moved to Siberia. Would you do that? Could you really live there?

I wouldn't and I couldn't.

That's why Canada is nothing but a great place to ride the Rocky Mountaineer. That about covers it.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

The city is named "Ottawa", not "Ottowa". This has been pointed out in the past, but the Vermint poster who insists on misspelling the name of the capital city of the nation just to his north, a city of 800,000, demonstrates his ignorance of all things Canadian not least of which where and how Canadians access their healthcare.

Vermint, I rather like that.

A mis-spelling means all that? WOW!

I will be sure to let the Premier of Quebec know so that he doesn't have to confer with the Vermont Governor regarding the health care changes coming in Vermont and how they will affect the healthcare access of residents of Quebec. Why would he need to? :lol:

Incredible that you base the entire argument on the spelling of a city..if it is all you have, go with it.

Gary And Alla