Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

driving license for K1 visa holder

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Dear all,

I am not sure whether it is a right topic to discuss here. I read about K1 visa holder can apply for Social Security Card right after entering the USA and even before getting married (within the 90-day period). Then what about driving license? Can K1 visa holder apply for US driving license before getting married OR better to do so after married and have the green card?

Thank you.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Drivers Lic. are issued by each state so the answer is sometimes. Some states let you get it in the K1 period, some state only give you one good until the K1 expires and others make you wait. Which state are you going to be living in?

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know who is the beneficiary and who is the petitioner but I got married first then applied for the driver's license with my married name and of course you are able to do it even though you hold a K1 visa

24/06/2010 NOA1

01/07/2010 Touch

15/11/2010 Touch

17/11/2010 RFE

06/12/2010 Touch

07/12/2010 Touch

10/12/2010 RFE (re-issue)

04/01 2011 RFE response review

13/01/2011 NOA2 YAY!!!!

27/01/2011 NVC

01/02/2011 Consulate received

03/02/2011 Packet 3 received. Im not sure why they called P3 though it's just instructions

04/02/2011 Packet 3 send

17/02/2011 Packet 4 received

22/02/2011 INTERVIEW! and the best part is my visa was approved!

12/03/2011 POE Seattle int Airport.. OMG after surviving the worse japanese earthquake ever

25/03/2011 Wedding day


Day 1 AOS filed

Day 26 NOA1 email

8/17/2011 Green Card.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

in the country your from see if you can get a international driving license before you arrive here in the us. many people visit the us rental cars on vacation,my point is when you arrive here you can drive,all states are different, when you apply they want your birthcertificate, your visa, your proof of address, two household bills proof of living at that address, good luck

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my State you need at least an EAD.


“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here in Texas my wife (K-1) needed to provide her visa with the I-94 entry stamp and the I-797 approval notice for the adjustment of status. I went to the local office first without her and talked with a receptionist to confirm what was needed. When we returned for her to start the process we had a different receptionist and this one said she wouldn't be eligible for a license. I asked to speak with a supervisor and the supervisor confirmed she was eligible for the drivers license with the documents we had with us.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well here is our story regarding driving here in Ohio. My husband went last week to take the written part of the exam. He passed with flying colors the first time and was told to go to the next window and get his permit to learn to drive here in the states. They asked for his passport, his social security card, our marriage license, and the I797. I just assumed that the first I797 we got was what they were looking for when we first filed. Well, that was wrong and they said we needed an updated I797C. I was like hmmm have no idea what they want. So I came home and asked here on VJ a few people what I needed. I was told that the I797C after applying for AOS would be acceptable. So fortunate for us, we received the I797c three days later in the mail. Today, we went back to the BMV to get his permit at the same location. The lady called someone to verify that the I797 was valid and they said NOPE it had to be an approval not a receipt of notice. I was like what the heck are you kidding me why don't these people tell you this ####### the first time. So anyway, they were like well his Visa has expired and I had to explain to them THIS IS NOT UNITED STATES VISA it is a K1 visa that he used to enter the United States. Well this just went completely over their heads as if they have never heard of this type of visa before. So we left with no permit. I was so frustrated with them, that I went to another place and guess what???? they called the same place and my husband has his permit for 4 years or until EAD or GC comes first then he can get his license with proof.

I don't know if this should have happen for him, but he got it and now he is driving little by little today.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
i'll be living in NJ. Anyone familiar with NJ's driving license policy?
Google is your friend. :)

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

i am in Ohio. I applied for the temporary instruction ID after marriage and had no polem. They asked for my I-94, passport and marriage license, i had no SS card yet but that was no problem.

Problems started now that I passed my driver's road test and tried to get the permanent and they issued me a ID valid only until my I-94 exprires wich is in 1 month. So I though that was really weird and that didn't make sense at all since t is going to take another 4 months until I get my green card and I need a car here where i live there is no public tranportation. Called a iferent office here in Ohio and they told me I should bring my I-797c and they should issue a license valid for 1 year. So I am really pissed off. Why people do stuff they are not sure about and screw everything up. I wish i could find official information saying that I-797c is good for a permit.

Just read same thing hapened to soome people here. Does anyone know a official government web site we can get information so we can print out and take with us:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.