scjpam

Help! Getting Married Just before leaving on K1 visa

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Don't do it! You won't be eligible to enter the country if you are married. They will ask you at POE if you are married and you will have to lie.

I-129F Fiance Visa

For full details see my "About me"

USCIS

11-22-2010 Received NOA1 01-27-2011 --> NOA2 *APPROVED!!!! (email)

NVC

02-24-2011 Receive Packet 3.5 via email --> 03-18-2011 Packet 3.5 Submitted

04-05-2011 Receive Packet 4

04-08-2011 INTERVIEW *APPROVED!!!!* --> 04-18-2011 Visa in hand

05-04-2011 **POE** JFK, NYC

AOS

05-21-2011 Social Security Card

06-18-2011 MARRIED!

07-11-2011 Filed AOS - 485, EAD, AP

07-13-2011 Received Confirmation email 07-14-2011 check cashed

07-18-2011 NOA1, I-797C received for AOS, EAD, AP

07-22-2011 Received Biometrics Appointment Notice

08-15-2011 Biometrics Appointment

09-09-2011 EAD and AP Approval notices via email

09-20-2011 Receive EAD/AP Card in the mail

09-29-2011 Interview! APPROVED!!!!

10-03-2011 Receive Welcome Letter

10-08-2011 Receive Greencard

Definitely don't do it. You have to enter the US unmarried on a K-1 visa for the visa to be eligible. That's the whole point of it. If you get married first and lie to immigration it will make your life MUCH more difficult than you'd want to even imagine. Read up about material misrepresentation.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I have an approved K1 visa. And will be leaving soon. I wanted to get married here in the Philippines just before I fly to US. This is because I wanted that my family be with me for my wedding. Is this possible?

It is possible to have a ceremony so long as you are not legally married at the conclusion of said ceremony. Couples often have traditional ceremonies in the home country of the person who is leaving and then use the term "Engagement Ceremony."

Also, if you wish to have a ceremony in a church before your departure to the US, you can as long as you would not be legally married at the conclusion of the ceremony. I would check to see what the laws on that are.

When you use a K1 visa at a US POE, you must not be legally married.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Moving from K-1 Progress to K-1 Process. Welcome to VJ. :)

can I ask you something..is it necessary for 'higher' member like you to really leave comment when you move a topic to the right place? I think it almost annoying to see a smarty pants just leaving comments like that and not even try to answer the question on the topic.. sorry no offense but I saw many comments like that often on many topics. so cold hearted for people who really check the topic every sec to get the right answer.. thank you

Anyway for SCJPAM:

You better not to do that because then you will violate the k1 visa. then you have to lie on POE then if you get caught its not only give trouble to your self and your future life but also many phillipinos who try to marry americans later. they will consider that your country is high rated for scam.

how about just have a party (just like farewell party) between your family and friends without getting married there. ( I assume you mean that you want to getting married legally in your country, right?)

Edited by nenooye

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

K1 is for unmarried couples, not people who are married to enter the USA.

If an overseas marriage is a priority then marry first then file an I-130 for a CR-1 spouse visa and forget the K1. Then wait 8-9 months at interview for the spouse visa before coming to USA.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Suppose someone gets socially married (without legal registration) in presence of family members and coin it as engagement....will that too considered a fraud???

In india too, the term fiance(e) is not that much well accepted socially...it'd help if ppl get some kind of recognition before leaving the us legal marriage.

can I ask you something..is it necessary for 'higher' member like you to really leave comment when you move a topic to the right place? I think it almost annoying to see a smarty pants just leaving comments like that and not even try to answer the question on the topic.. sorry no offense but I saw many comments like that often on many topics. so cold hearted for people who really check the topic every sec to get the right answer.. thank you

Anyway for SCJPAM:

You better not to do that because then you will violate the k1 visa. then you have to lie on POE then if you get caught its not only give trouble to your self and your future life but also many phillipinos who try to marry americans later. they will consider that your country is high rated for scam.

how about just have a party (just like farewell party) between your family and friends without getting married there. ( I assume you mean that you want to getting married legally in your country, right?)

Yes, i wish I could but if that will complicate things then I'll just stick to what is right and legal. Thanks.

Filed: Timeline

The Site Administrator requires us to comment with each topic we move so that the original poster (OP) will not be confused when they don't see their thread in the forum they originally posted in..... which is why we are also required to leave a marker showing it has been moved.

iagree.gif

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Suppose someone gets socially married (without legal registration) in presence of family members and coin it as engagement....will that too considered a fraud???

No, not fraud. People have "engagement ceremonies" or "engagement parties" all the time.

Yes, i wish I could but if that will complicate things then I'll just stick to what is right and legal. Thanks.

Having a party with your family in friends without getting married will not complicate things; as I have previously posted, many people already have such parties. Just don't use words like wedding, husband, wife, etc.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have an approved K1 visa. And will be leaving soon. I wanted to get married here in the Philippines just before I fly to US. This is because I wanted that my family be with me for my wedding. Is this possible?

You can have a wedding as long as the ceremony does not have any legal binding contracts of marriage. In other words, do not sign any papers. You can have a wedding, but you must not get married.

In some cultures, having a wedding does count as marriage with or without papers. You have to be careful of your country's customs and laws.

We did a wedding in September 2010 and K1 visa was approved in March 2011. To this day, we are not married still fiance. My fiance is arriving this month, then we get marriage certificate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.