tin2_punsalan

Gave Birth in the US on Tourist Visa

59 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Emergency Medicaid is government sponsored, the tourist as to apply for it, and can only be used for Emergency or when giving birth meaning you wont get any normal care with it. Unless the tourist wants to sucker punch himself/herself to go to the ER. For me it would be useless since the last time I went to the ER for care was when I was 5 years old.

There is no emergency medicaid for tourist, that is not the responsibility of US gov, they would do it as a humanitarian thing, but in no way they are responsible for emergency care of tourist.

End of the day tourist and if they have family and friend in US are responsible for the cost associated to tourist's medical aide.

I am not sure if when tourist apply for tourist visa, if there is a question that is asking tourist if they ave ever used the medical aide in US in their past visit.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

There is no emergency medicaid for tourist, that is not the responsibility of US gov, they would do it as a humanitarian thing, but in no way they are responsible for emergency care of tourist.

End of the day tourist and if they have family and friend in US are responsible for the cost associated to tourist's medical aide.

I am not sure if when tourist apply for tourist visa, if there is a question that is asking tourist if they ave ever used the medical aide in US in their past visit.

Here's your answer, http://www.infoline.org/informationlibrary/Documents/Emergency%20Medicaid.asp

my sister used emergency medicaid BTW, she came to the US with a b2 visa, the government paid the balance in full.

IMMIGRANTS AND NONCITIZENS FOR EMERGENCY MEDICAID

Immigration status is NOT a factor for Emergency Medicaid eligibility. Any person, regardless of legal immigrant status can be eligible for Emergency Medicaid if he/she meets income and asset limits.

NOTE: Hospitals cannot deny anyone emergency medical treatment, regardless of financial status or immigrant/citizenship status. So patients with medical emergencies would be able to get care, and financial payment sources would have to be determined later. The State of CT reimburses hospitals for "uncompensated care." In addition, most hospitals have discretionary funding that may be able to help when people unable to afford medical care cannot access Medicaid or HUSKY because of citizenship issues.

Edited by katiemanny

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Timeline

Emergency Medicaid is available for pregnant women on tourist visa, or tourist who needs emergency assistance at the hospital. It can only be used for emergency care only or to give birth.

Katie - you have been pro about a preg woman getting a medicaid, here is the info from medicaid website.

Hope this clears the confusion. These may include your age, whether you are pregnant, disabled, blind, or aged; your income and resources (like bank accounts, real property, or other items that can be sold for cash); and whether you are a U.S. citizen or a lawfully admitted immigrant.

For Medicaid you have to be USC or an immigrant - tourist visa is not immigrant status - so either the OP and her family lied on one of the forms and hospital did not check their status.

Timeline

Here's your answer,

my sister used emergency medicaid BTW, she came to the US with a b2 visa, the government paid the balance in full.

IMMIGRANTS AND NONCITIZENS FOR EMERGENCY MEDICAID

Immigration status is NOT a factor for Emergency Medicaid eligibility. Any person, regardless of legal immigrant status can be eligible for Emergency Medicaid if he/she meets income and asset limits.

NOTE: Hospitals cannot deny anyone emergency medical treatment, regardless of financial status or immigrant/citizenship status. So patients with medical emergencies would be able to get care, and financial payment sources would have to be determined later. The State of CT reimburses hospitals for "uncompensated care." In addition, most hospitals have discretionary funding that may be able to help when people unable to afford medical care cannot access Medicaid or HUSKY because of citizenship issues.

Please read the note on the link you posted, it clearly says if the patient is does not qualify for medicare or medicaid, the state of CT has some funds that pays for the care, this can vary from state to state.

"In addition, most hospitals have discretionary funding that may be able to help when people unable to afford medical care cannot access Medicaid or HUSKY because of citizenship issues."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Please read the note on the link you posted, it clearly says if the patient is does not qualify for medicare or medicaid, the state of CT has some funds that pays for the care, this can vary from state to state.

"In addition, most hospitals have discretionary funding that may be able to help when people unable to afford medical care cannot access Medicaid or HUSKY because of citizenship issues."

I am just clarifying that tourist on business or pleasure to the US, are eligible to apply for EM, their status wont be an effect. When they use the service under EM, it'll be paid for by the Government. Although tax payers are furious about this.

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Are you people not reading the links posted? Emergency Medicaid is paid for non-immigrants under emergency circumstances such as giving birth. That's it. It has totally different qualifications to regular Medicaid.

Edited by amykathleen2005

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

I would think the fact that she did "birth tourism" to get a sneaky US Citizenship for her kid would cause the tourist visa to be denied by itself. It's not like a car crash accident where a tourist might need care - it's purposefully coming here to give birth on a tourist visa and using whatever funds are meant for people who are needy - and a birth tourist doesn't get my sympathy.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What's your point, she isn't getting another visa.

Anyway the OP has gone.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Katie - you have been pro about a preg woman getting a medicaid, here is the info from medicaid website.

Hope this clears the confusion. These may include your age, whether you are pregnant, disabled, blind, or aged; your income and resources (like bank accounts, real property, or other items that can be sold for cash); and whether you are a U.S. citizen or a lawfully admitted immigrant.

For Medicaid you have to be USC or an immigrant - tourist visa is not immigrant status - so either the OP and her family lied on one of the forms and hospital did not check their status.

You are 100% incorrect. Emergency Medicaid covers undocumented people in the US. A pregnancy can be covered by emergency medicaid if you are out of status. If you look at the I-485 form. it actually states that emergency medicaid is an exception to the rule.

Please give correct information because others may read your posts and be misguided.

People have been coming to the Us for years in order to give their children citizenship. They broke up a Birth tourism ring in California not to long ago.

t ev

Edited by Myopia

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Timeline

Myopia – Please read the eligibility for Medicaid on their website, my paste is directly from their website and not my own creation.

For Medicaid you have to be US citizen or legal immigrant (tourist visa is not an immigrant)

I am not saying ppl don’t get help when they go to hospital coz they are not citizen or immigrant – that money comes from state and that rule varies from state to state.

Since Harpa said it was getting more and more common as medical tourism where ppl enter on tourist visa just to give birth to obtain USC – its getting difficult and difficult to do something like this.

Whoever fills i-485 is not a tousirt :)

PPL who fill out i-485 are legal immigrant and they are entitled to use that funds.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How much was the ####### job?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Myopia – Please read the eligibility for Medicaid on their website, my paste is directly from their website and not my own creation.

For Medicaid you have to be US citizen or legal immigrant (tourist visa is not an immigrant)

I am not saying ppl don’t get help when they go to hospital coz they are not citizen or immigrant – that money comes from state and that rule varies from state to state.

Since Harpa said it was getting more and more common as medical tourism where ppl enter on tourist visa just to give birth to obtain USC – its getting difficult and difficult to do something like this.

Whoever fills i-485 is not a tousirt :)

PPL who fill out i-485 are legal immigrant and they are entitled to use that funds.

You are confusing medicaid with emergency medicaid HARSH. Immigration status has no bearing on qualifying for emergency medicaid, and it is NEVER considered a means tested benefit when covering labor and delivery.

In other emergency situations, it could be considered a means tested benefit, but as a general rule it is not. That information should be available when applying for it.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

so popping out an anchor can be costly, eh? at least the chinese who plan trips to do this pay all fees in advance.

How much was the ####### job?

if done right, worth every penny, no matter the cost.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.