worththerisk?

Advice on infidelity/lying

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I posted this in the off topic forum, but noticed a lot of similar issues in this forum so maybe I will get some extra advice here. If there is anyone out there who has been through anything similar I would really appreciate your response. I have never dealt with anything like this before in past relationships. Frankly, I can't stop thinking about it and it is most certainly affecting my decision on whether we should continue to proceed with our paperwork.

I'll try to be brief.

I am the beneficiary, currently still residing in my country with our i130 pending. We have been married just under a year, have an infant, visit often (at least once a month).

On and off in our relationship I have caught him lying to me, small stuff, however it adds up. During visits I have walked in on him doing things that he did not wish me to see. Recently has been my discovery that he has interest in another woman. He has went as far as to look into plane tickets to go see her. I noted a lot of texting going on between then and phone calls (which he later erased the history for). He has attempted to hide the entire relationship from me later claiming they were just friends. I found out later that she is a love interest from his past. Someone he wanted very much but never got the chance who he recently found on face book.

Although he still denies anything happened (or that he planned on seeing her), he did email her breaking it off and allowed me to watch him send it. He claims that he would never cheat on me, that it only would have happened with her because she was a love from so long ago.

I need advice and help with this...

Can I trust him and move past this? Is it true the phase "once a cheater, always a cheater?" He admitted to cheating on a past girlfriend but said he felt horrible about doing it. I never thought it could happen to us. Obviously I really don't want to leave my country to move in with a man who will only break my heart. I guess there is no certainty either way, at some point I'll have to have faith in either direction... but maybe there are signs that help point one way or the other. The hardest part for me is my fear that I can't trust him now, can't forgive. Maybe everything he has said has been a lie? Then of course on the flip side I question why he would have gone through so much trouble to be with me (he moved across state to be closer to me) and file for a visa to bring me here? It doesn't make sense that he would do so much, just to throw it all away.

I am having a hard time especially because I have not gone through this before, nor has anyone I know. There is just no one to talk to.

If there is someone reading this who has been cheated on or cheated in the past and knows a little more about the nature of this kind of act I would appreciate your help (posted here or in private message).

Maybe the temptation is greater because I am not normally with him and will get better once I move here? By the looks of it, infidelity seems like a common occurrence (reading some of the posts here). That saddens me as I could never do that to him or anyone I loved. The thought of even looking at other men... well I just don't. I love my husband so much... :(

Thank you for your time.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

I guess the question would be, since the episode where he emailed her breaking it off, has he continued to try to hide his actions from you? That would be the most telling sign. The fact that he cheated on an old girlfriend doesn't make him a lifelong cheater. There is no knowing what the circumstances were at the time. If he cheated on her but continued the relationship with her for a while after then that would be a bad precedent.

The only sound advice I could offer would be to talk sincerely and openly about this. Don't go in to the conversation accusing him of cheating or saying that you can't trust him, but rather just that you have some concerns and you want to discuss them. You are getting ready to give up everything you know and go to another country so he should be open and supportive and willing to reassure you that everything is fine. If he gets angry or dismissive (whether he is cheating or not) then that is a bad sign for the future anyway and better to know this now than find out after you move.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hmmmmm good luck with ur decision.....

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

If you don't trust the other person how do you plan to marry them? How do you know that as soon as you left he didn't email her and make another date?

Sorry but I was in a VERY bad relationship for many years and lack of trust was the root of the problem. If you are going to be constantly reading his email, checking his phone, following him, wondering where he is when he is late coming home, etc. What kind of life would that be?

This is a personal situation and I would suggest a long, heart-to-heart talk but the question of trust is a big one.

Filed: Other Timeline

The most important component of a marriage is trust. Trust has to be earned. I would not move in with somebody I don't trust or until I trust them not to betray my trust.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

TRUST is everything. Don't look too much to microscopy things. Concentrate on TRUST and other important things like the baby! No one is perfect. There is always room for errors and improvement.

You guys will be just fine. :reading:

3.gif

"The perfection/respect/credibility of a man decreases by the number of marriages he has had and by the number of kids he has outside his current marriage. ", Quote by Bite YourDust
  • Met on yahoo chat through a friend.
  • April 2010 - Decided to meet in person
  • 06.01.2010 - She flew from Dubai to Philippines for vacationing
  • 06.21.2010 - We met in Philippines
  • 06.24.2010 - Engaged
  • 06.28.2010 - Came back to USA
  • 07.05.2010 - She flew back to Dubai (work)
  • 08.02.2010 - Mailed I129F to VSC
  • 08.03.2010 - Delivered to VSC. Signed by D RENAUD.
  • 08.09.2010 - Check cashed
  • 08.14.2010 - NOA1 (Dated 08/06/2010)!!!!!!!!
  • 08.19.2010 - Touched!
  • 08.27.2010 - Received snail mail that typographical error was fixed.
  • 10.03.2010 - Touched!
  • 11.21.2010 - Visited her for a week in Dubai!
  • 02.14.2011 - NOA2 Approved on St. Valentine day!!!!!!!
  • 02.17.2011 - Packet left from NVC to ABU DHABI (Dubai)
  • 02.19.2011 - NOA2 hard copy received
  • 02.22.2011 - Packet reached ABU DHABI's consulate
  • 03.02.2011 - packet 3 & 4 received by email
  • 03.02.2011 - Confirmation of Interview on 04.14.2011 -
  • 03.07.2011 - Fiancee passed medical exam.
  • 04.14.2011 - K1-Visa Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 04.21.2011 - Picked up Visa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you are in a relationship where you don't have trust you are in an abusive relationship. You may not be getting beaten black and blue but you are being torn apart piece by piece and it isn't healthy for you or your child. It won't get better, men like that don't change overnight. If it is a immaturity thing he may change with age, if it is a predatory sex thing he will probably never change. Take care of yourself and your child first.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I posted this in the off topic forum, but noticed a lot of similar issues in this forum so maybe I will get some extra advice here. If there is anyone out there who has been through anything similar I would really appreciate your response. I have never dealt with anything like this before in past relationships. Frankly, I can't stop thinking about it and it is most certainly affecting my decision on whether we should continue to proceed with our paperwork.

I'll try to be brief.

I am the beneficiary, currently still residing in my country with our i130 pending. We have been married just under a year, have an infant, visit often (at least once a month).

On and off in our relationship I have caught him lying to me, small stuff, however it adds up. During visits I have walked in on him doing things that he did not wish me to see. Recently has been my discovery that he has interest in another woman. He has went as far as to look into plane tickets to go see her. I noted a lot of texting going on between then and phone calls (which he later erased the history for). He has attempted to hide the entire relationship from me later claiming they were just friends. I found out later that she is a love interest from his past. Someone he wanted very much but never got the chance who he recently found on face book.

Although he still denies anything happened (or that he planned on seeing her), he did email her breaking it off and allowed me to watch him send it. He claims that he would never cheat on me, that it only would have happened with her because she was a love from so long ago.

I need advice and help with this...

Can I trust him and move past this? Is it true the phase "once a cheater, always a cheater?" He admitted to cheating on a past girlfriend but said he felt horrible about doing it. I never thought it could happen to us. Obviously I really don't want to leave my country to move in with a man who will only break my heart. I guess there is no certainty either way, at some point I'll have to have faith in either direction... but maybe there are signs that help point one way or the other. The hardest part for me is my fear that I can't trust him now, can't forgive. Maybe everything he has said has been a lie? Then of course on the flip side I question why he would have gone through so much trouble to be with me (he moved across state to be closer to me) and file for a visa to bring me here? It doesn't make sense that he would do so much, just to throw it all away.

I am having a hard time especially because I have not gone through this before, nor has anyone I know. There is just no one to talk to.

If there is someone reading this who has been cheated on or cheated in the past and knows a little more about the nature of this kind of act I would appreciate your help (posted here or in private message).

Maybe the temptation is greater because I am not normally with him and will get better once I move here? By the looks of it, infidelity seems like a common occurrence (reading some of the posts here). That saddens me as I could never do that to him or anyone I loved. The thought of even looking at other men... well I just don't. I love my husband so much... :(

Thank you for your time.

Do you really need people you dont know to figure out what you should do? If you are that uncertian of yourself & how you feel you should not waste anymore time on this. What you seek & need will not come from a lier. Why enter into a life based in lies & mystery? If you do then you should never complain when it gets worse.

Moving here will cause you to become a prisoner of the situation. You will then begin to ask if you can get your green card while involved in a divorce. This is common here on V J.

The real question is, can you live with the fact that your husband maintains a relationship outside the marrige. Why does he want to bring you here while doing this to you? Total lack of respect & zero foundation of trust. That is a recipe for impending disaster.

I was a victim of this before I met my husband & came to America. I left the lier behind & so should you. I am sorry you are in this situation.

:bonk::bonk::bonk: iam sorry....but some people just have to get run over by the train before they learn to move off the tracks!!!! iam a man , iam 8492 miles from my wife, I GIVE HER NO REASON NOT TO TRUST ME.......end of story..... :thumbs: you know the answer already!

12/22/2010...married my soulmate,in tagaytay city.

USCIS...
01/28/2011...mailed I-130 to chicago Lockbox.....The journey begins
01/31/2011...receive I-130
02/05/2011...get a e-mail notice of NOA-1...states case transferred to CSC
02/08/2011...check clears my bank
02/10/2011... rec. hardcopy NOA-1 in mail...priority date..01/31/2011.....sit back relax and ride this slow mule!!
02/14/2011... touched ( it must have fallen on the floor )..hehe
05/12/2011...NOA-2 OMG...98days u kidding me!!!!!!!

NVC......

05/26/2011... finally got NVC case number...
05/28/2011... receive DS-3032 in e-mail/e-mailed the DS-3032 back
05/28/2011... receive AOS fee bill/ and paid online.
06/01/2011... AOS fee bill shows paid.
06/02/2011... DS-3032 accepted
06/03/2011... IV-bill generated and sented by e-mail
06/04/2011... Paid IV fee bill/ in progress
06/07/2011... IV fee bill showed paid/ downloaded cover sheet
06/08/2011... Express mail both the I-864(AOS) and DS-230
06/09/2011... Confirmed del at 11:10am signed by N visa center.
06/21/2011... SIF...yea!!! called NVC..yes case complete but no interview dates until aug..rats!!
06/28/2011... issured interview date set for 08/08/2011 At 6:30am.
07/12&13/2011... medical
YEA SHE PASSED MEDICAL

08/08/2011... interview approved!!!
08/19/2011...usa/arkansas.....

ROC

05/23/2013... mailed I-751 to Vermont

05/25/2013...delivery confirm received

05/30/2013...check cleared bank

06/01/2013...rec. NOA1 (receipt date 05/28/2013)

06/24/2013... biometrics appointment

I was cheated before! Actually I found out that he was in a 2 year relationship with a woman I knew and respected when he and I hooked up (so that makes me the other woman, even if I had no idea). I found out too late, 1.5 years in our relationship. I cannot tell you how sincere he seemed when he was denying everything (and I thought I can "read" people very well). I trusted him, but once the trust was broken, there was nothing that could mend it. I felt sick to my stomach, disgusted...and I knew there was no more future for us. The doubt would have been unbearable and the lies too painful.

I don't think you deserve to start a marriage like that...I think you deserve so much better. I made the best decision of my life and I am in a wonderful, healthy marriage now. I wish you all the best and a wonderful future, no matter the decision you make.

Our Love Story's 1st page: June 15, 2008

K 1: 98 days!
May 11 - August 17, 2010 APPROVED!!!
POE: September 14, 2010 Chicago, IL
Wedding Day: September 22, 2010

AOS from K1: 96 days!
November 19, 2010 - February 24, 2011 APPROVED!!!
November 19, 2010: AOS, EAD & AP applications mailed
December 20, 2010: Biometrics (day 31)
January 18, 2011: case transfered to CSC (day 60)
February 10, 2011: EAD & AP approved! (day 83)
February 24, 2011: GC production ordered! (day 96)

Removing conditions: 5 months and 30 days!
December 6, 2012: package mailed
December 10, 2012: NOA 1 (day 4)

June, 5, 2013: APPROVED!!!

June, 10 2013: 10 yr GC received

event.png

an1cHsW0g410610MjAwMTU1bHwyNTY0MzkxbGF8d

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

The answer to why he would go through so much to be with you is that some people are that dysfunctional to do just that, while maintaining their agenda of being with whomever, whenever. Not only would it really require trust on your part to stay, but a rebuild of how this guy sees life. My guess is he lacks the skills to regain your trust if he's willing to do something that messed up.

I-751 Removal of Conditions sent - 9/7/13

NOA1 received - 9/17/13

Biometrics appointment - 10/8/13

Removal of Conditions approved - 12/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

First of all, I'm very sorry about what happened to you, you have a child together and he should act more responsible than this. I've had an ex like this, we'd fight all the time and I never never felt happy, but I couldn't get myself to break up with him (now I'm glad I did)

You can forgive him, but you yourself said, you won't be able to trust him, and from his past, he seems like he tends to repeat cheating on you (feeling horrible about it isn't enough, he should have stopped) I miss my country so much, I miss my family and friends and some days, I wish I can live there again. You really gotta consider this, is he worth that?? I've noticed, that when a partner cheats, especially in what seems to be a serious relationship, he/she doesn't feel their partner is good enough for them, they think they can do better. (in the reality, it's not true, it's their insecurities that makes them think if they have someone they couldn't have, then they're worth a lot)

It's really YOUR decision. I've learned that on this site, you can give a million advice to someone, and unless they WANT to, they wouldn't take it. This is your life, do whatever you want, but play future scenarios in your head before you decide.

Best of luck.

K1 Timeline
03/08/10 - I-129F packet sent to VSC
07/07/10 - Interview Date - APPROVED!
10/28/10 - POE @ Chicago
11/21/10 - Marriage

AOS, AP, EAD.
01/18/11 - AOS, AP, EAD packet sent
03/07/2011 - Biometrics appointment
03/29/2011 - AOS, AP and EAD approved (After 2.5 months)
04/04/2011 - Green card in hand[/size]

ROC
02/12/2013 - ROC packet sent
02/21/2013 - NOA1 Received
03/09/2013 - Biometrics appointment
06/19/2013 - ROC APPROVED!

N-400 Naturalization

06/20/2014 - N-400 Packet sent

07/15/2014 - Check Cashedarrow-10x10.png

08/04/2014 - Biometrics

02/19/2015 - Interview

03/26/2015 - Oath Ceremony
event.png

event.png

Filed: Timeline

I would like to thank everyone who has taken their time to reply to my post. I'm getting the impression from most that it's best to move on. A lot of me agrees with this opinion as I do have deep concern that remaining married to him will only result in more lies.

It's a rough one though. When I married him I had no doubt he was faithful, true. When we discovered our pregnancy although worried the choice seemed right to have her. All of this has been taken away and I am now forced to make a choice I never asked for.

I know it may seem silly to be asking people I don't know for advice. I guess I was hoping someone here may have gone through this (including the living in separate countries) and would have some tips on how they worked through it, if things repeated or how they moved on.

To be clear, although giving up is a possibility, I don't want

to make that choice. I would prefer to find a way to get better, to mend what's broken.

The jury is still out. Certainly nothing I can figure out over night. This whole mess hasn't been easy on him either. I just wish it never happened.

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate your time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.