NatalieC

dual citizenship

27 posts in this topic

now maybe, but I don't think you did, because if you had, you would have understood how both those questions needed to be answered on your petition in relationship to obtaining US citizenship.

not really. it specifically says on the application that checking NO does NOT necessary mean you get immediately denied. you need to explain yourself, which i did in my extra paper attached to the application. I am fairly confident that my point would have been brought across and that i would have been approved, or at least given my interview to explain myself more clearly.

im glad i popped back here to get some help, but sad to see that some things never change on the forum.

you can continue to post to get your last word in. im finished with the thread :)

Thank you again to all that were helpful.

-Natalie and Brian in Lebanon, Ohio

i%20am%20canadian.JPG

Want to see my K1 visa timeline? Click Here

Want to see my AOS timeline? (quick version below)

07-08-05 Mailed AOS packet

12-12-05 AOS approved; no interview

12-17-05 Green card recieved + Welcome letter.

WHERE WE ARE NOW Filing for Citizenship

10 Yr GC petition

11-20-07 I-751 Pkg mailed to Nebraska (here we go again)

11-23-07 Confirmed delivered to PO Box

11-23-07 NOA 1 date

12-07-07 NOA 1 Received in the mail

Our case is now at the Cali SC. The 6 month timer ticks.

12-12-07 Biometrics appointment notice recieved

01-03-08 Biometrics

01-04-08 Online Case status 'last updated'

01-06-08 Online Case status 'last updated'

03-19-08 Online Case status 'last updated'

On March 18, 2008, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you.

03-24-08 Online Case status 'last updated'

On March 22, 2008, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this CRI89 PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED.

~~~~~~

34e1c26.jpg Y!: natalie_c81 AIM: pdd4me81 MSN: nataliec81

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

not really. it specifically says on the application that checking NO does NOT necessary mean you get immediately denied. you need to explain yourself, which i did in my extra paper attached to the application. I am fairly confident that my point would have been brought across and that i would have been approved, or at least given my interview to explain myself more clearly.

im glad i popped back here to get some help, but sad to see that some things never change on the forum.

you can continue to post to get your last word in. im finished with the thread :)

Thank you again to all that were helpful.

Then go for it as you originally planned...

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
You can use the USA passport to enter Canada as well. Not every one keeps two passports.

Actually I'm pretty confident this is illegal. As a Canadian citizen you are REQUIRED to enter Canada with your Canadian passport. I have 2 passports (and a third if I get USC). It sucks paying for them all the time but I am NOT allowed to enter Australia on a visitors visa and/or VWP or whatever... for the same reason if you're a USC you can't enter the US on a visitor visa/VWP etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
don't think it is illegal.. I have entered Canada with just my green card.. they never asked to see my passport..

I know for sure it's illegal for the US (a friends situation) and same for Australia and the UK (at the very least because I'm their citizen and need to prove it or I'll be treated as a visitor with appropriate restrictions on my period of authorised stay).

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html

Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card or NEXUS card (see below) satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens.
If I have citizenship in another country, should I use that country's passport when travelling abroad?

Canadian citizens are strongly advised to use only their Canadian passport when travelling abroad. Doing otherwise could create problems and limit the willingness of foreign authorities to permit the Government of Canada to assist you if you experience difficulties. A Canadian passport is the only document that will guarantee your re-entry into Canada.

Even if it's not illegal, I find it odd that you're choosing to visit your home country as a US resident and not a Canadian but to each his own i suppose.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually I'm pretty confident this is illegal. As a Canadian citizen you are REQUIRED to enter Canada with your Canadian passport. I have 2 passports (and a third if I get USC). It sucks paying for them all the time but I am NOT allowed to enter Australia on a visitors visa and/or VWP or whatever... for the same reason if you're a USC you can't enter the US on a visitor visa/VWP etc.

There have been cdns on here that stated they entered on a USA passport. Some do not want to carry the Cdn passport as its only good for 5 yrs.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm long out of college now, but I think I could probably type down a 10 to 15 page essay about dual citizenship without having to pause much. That gives you an idea on how much I have read about it within the past year-or-so. Not because I needed to, mind you, but because I find it fascinating with all those different countries' stands on it and the array of issues involved.

You are blessed, truly blessed, that Canada and the United Kingdom are the two most easy going countries of all those 251 we have on this globe. Canada openly embraces the merits of people who are citizens of more than their country, whereas the USA recognizes that dual citizenship exists, but discourages it as a matter of public policy based on the potential problems involved.

Whereas a US citizen is required to leave and to enter the US with his or her US passport, Canada actually allows its citizens to enter Canada with a US passport, if they are US citizens as well.

If you knew the issues people from China, Denmark, Russia, India (with its OCI nightmare stuff) or, worst of the worst, Saudi Arabia have to go through when becoming US citizens, you'd understand that what you felt uneasy to do on your N-400 is just part of another chunk of issues, one of which includes people who have a problem saying "so God help me."

If you are bored when watching TV, just type in "dual citizenship" into your Web browser's search window and dive in.

Here's a good start:

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The US citizen certificate of naturalization is a piece of paper that verifies you took an oath of allegiances to the United States of America. Or to put it briefly, no oath, no US citizenship. And they don't hand these out freely, practically have to be a near perfect human being to get one.

My wife was told she is now a US citizen like she was born here, not true either, for one, she cannot run for the president's office, for another, her place of birth is put in big fat letters on her US passport. Her country of birth demands she maintains her former countries citizenship and passport so she can visit her mom. Our Department of State, doesn't like the term dual citizenship, but they like dual naturalization instead, but a bit of BS because, it is dual citizenship. Went around in circles on this issue with the DOS, my senator, and congressman and got nowhere. Claim they need that place of birth for identification purposes.

This boils down to where you were born more than anything else, something, none of us had a choice of, even if you don't want this dual citizenship status, let's call it what it is. Dual naturalization indicates a choice, there is no choice in your place of birth. So if you place of birth is in Canada, will always be a Canadian citizen. But the DOS is dealing with 201 different countries so there are 201 sets of rules regarding this issue.

My wife was hesitant on taking that oath, as when you read it literally, gives you the notion, they are going to slap a weapon in your hand and tell you to start shooting a people, she doesn't like guns nor killing people. Took me and my army captain neighbor a long discussion to convince her, our country doesn't operate that way. I just happen to be a veteran of a foreign war. Heard stories about interviewing officers asking the application, if we went to war with your place of birth, who's side would you be on, we never experienced this personally.

Trying to locate a couple of buddies that married girls from Canada, admittedly myself, I never even heard of the USCIS until I met my wife, but met people living in the USA where that is a problem for them now. Seems like the last adminstration made an issue out of this. And since I am an automotive engineer, a great deal of our production was done in Canada, what separates us is an imaginary line that suddenly isn't imaginary anymore. Ha, had to just be careful before not to pick a dandelion one inch south of the border and attempt to cross with it. Today, I need a passport!

Sure you have your reasons for wanting to obtain your US citizenship, perhaps even marriage, well, today its loaded with red tape, wouldn't worry about it, our laws are made by politicians which is another word of a habitual liar. I gather its not easy for a US citizen to gain Canadian citizenship either.

There is another huge group of people migrating from the USA, those on SS benefits, can't afford to live here on what you get, but somehow they manage.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you knew the issues people from China, Denmark, Russia, India (with its OCI nightmare stuff) or, worst of the worst, Saudi Arabia have to go through when becoming US citizens, you'd understand that what you felt uneasy to do on your N-400 is just part of another chunk of issues, one of which includes people who have a problem saying "so God help me."

I did answer "no" to the 2nd question. I gave my reason that I'm an atheist and USCIS was very accommodating in removing the "offensive language". I'd still have no problem bearing arms for the US other than I'm too old and they wouldn't want me.

Another interesting question was posed by a Mexican friend a few years back. He lost his Mexican citizenship when he became USC (Mexico has since changed their law). His comment was, "even if the US tries to invade Mexico and I'm a USC I can't help because my family is still there". The upshot is that countries like the neatness of citizenship but the reality with family and friends is far more complex.

My son is both Canadian by birth and an American through his father. We were told that whatever we use to leave whatever country we are living in (at the time Canada) we needed to us that ID to enter back in, that way it is easier to keep track. So my son had to use his Canadian ID to enter the U.S. (even tho he is a American)because we were living in Canada. Now that we are living in the U.S. we are supposed to use his U.S. passport to leave and then reenter the U.S. This is because now that we are living in the U.S. we will be visiting Canada, not living there. Our home is in the U.S. now so we use the U.S. ID.

This was told to us by the Canadian boarder. So I highly doubt it is illegal to enter Canada using a U.S. passport when you are a Canadian/U.S. citizen.

Life is like a roller coaster. Hold on tight and enjoy the ride!

Filed: Timeline

Actually I'm pretty confident this is illegal. As a Canadian citizen you are REQUIRED to enter Canada with your Canadian passport.

Wrong and wrong.

I know for sure it's illegal for the US (a friends situation) and same for Australia and the UK (at the very least because I'm their citizen and need to prove it or I'll be treated as a visitor with appropriate restrictions on my period of authorised stay).

Also wrong.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I did answer "no" to the 2nd question. I gave my reason that I'm an atheist and USCIS was very accommodating in removing the "offensive language". I'd still have no problem bearing arms for the US other than I'm too old and they wouldn't want me.

Another interesting question was posed by a Mexican friend a few years back. He lost his Mexican citizenship when he became USC (Mexico has since changed their law). His comment was, "even if the US tries to invade Mexico and I'm a USC I can't help because my family is still there". The upshot is that countries like the neatness of citizenship but the reality with family and friends is far more complex.

So help me God is common phase used in courts of law as well as the USCIS, in that you are sincere in stating the oath. It's your interpretation as to whether this God is a spiritual being that controls your life, prefer to think, this God is the USCIS that has far more control over your life.

Was a bit surprised to hear the new office manager at St. Paul oath ceremony state the government, that is suppose to be us by they way, but that has changed, state they realize you are from different countries with families there that you cannot be separated from. So also have to abide by the laws of those countries if you want to see those families. So really can't take the oath to its most extreme literal sense. But if you are here to do damage, really doesn't make any difference whether you said the oath or not, hopefully you will be caught and severely punished.

I am a bit upset that my wife has to maintain her Colombian citizenship just so she can visit her mom, but that is the way it is, but she is very much a law abiding citizen of the USA. Just put into an awkward position due to international laws that vary considerably from country to country.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.