yailukmuu

If you are a male aged 50 forget a K-1 with Thailand fiancee! Dead deal.

49 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Luckily, I have our K-1 filled out excepting one piece of information so I haven't sent it in, and now it appears likely (but not certain) that for many (any male aged over 50) K-1 with a Thai fiancee is (or I predict will not be) an option.

A bit of history:

South Korean males broker (read "buy") wives from Kzakastan, Vietnam and the Republic of Phillipines to the tune of greater than 50,000 a year.

The process is "pay," a broker, fly to the country, meet a group of women, pick one and a few days later marry.

Naturally there have been some issues with this sort of scenario and one stands out: In 2010 a South Korean man murdered his 20 year old "mail order bride," claiming that a "ghost told him to do so." Additionally there have been quite a lot of problems including abandonment.

Cambodia who saw quite a lot of brokered marriages reacted recently passing a law forbidding any male over age 50 from marrying a Cambodian woman (ironically, even if she was 49, or for that matter, 55) (also ironically because the "ghost directed murderer" was aged 47).

Thailand has introduced the proposal to the Cabinet. In my opinion, it is almost certain to be adopted.

"The new law is in line with similar laws in Cambodia and Laos as part of the upcoming ASEAN integration in 2015 and is expected to pass Parliament with ease and should take effect on May 1st, 2011."

Therefore there appears little point in my completing our K-1.

Since I cannot travel to Thailand before May 1st, and more importantly I don't want to marry my fiancee in Thailand because if we do she loses significant property rights, what can I do?

Since she cannot come here, can I meet her in, let's say Singapore, get married there, and then bring her here under the "other route" (I'm only familiar with the K-1 process). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Will America honor a marriage made in a country where neither of the couple is resident?

A warning: I predict that within a year or two, RP (Philippines) will also enact the same law.

By the way, if you are a female over aged 50 you can do as you please.

Edited by yailukmuu

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Luckily, I have our K-1 filled out excepting one piece of information so I haven't sent it in, and now it appears likely (but not certain) that for many (any male aged over 50) K-1 with a Thai fiancee is (or I predict will not be) an option.

A bit of history:

South Korean males broker (read "buy") wives from Kzakastan, Vietnam and the Republic of Phillipines to the tune of greater than 50,000 a year.

The process is "pay," a broker, fly to the country, meet a group of women, pick one and a few days later marry.

Naturally there have been some issues with this sort of scenario and one stands out: In 2010 a South Korean man murdered his 20 year old "mail order bride," claiming that a "ghost told him to do so." Additionally there have been quite a lot of problems including abandonment.

Cambodia who saw quite a lot of brokered marriages reacted recently passing a law forbidding any male over age 50 from marrying a Cambodian woman (ironically, even if she was 49, or for that matter, 55) (also ironically because the "ghost directed murderer" was aged 47).

Thailand has introduced the proposal to the Cabinet. In my opinion, it is almost certain to be adopted.

"The new law is in line with similar laws in Cambodia and Laos as part of the upcoming ASEAN integration in 2015 and is expected to pass Parliament with ease and should take effect on May 1st, 2011."

Since I cannot travel to Thailand before May 1st, and more importantly I don't want to marry my fiancee in Thailand because if we do she loses significant property rights, what can I do?

Since she cannot come here, can I meet her in, let's say Singapore, get married there, and then bring her here under the "other route" (I'm only familiar with the K-1 process). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Will America honor a marriage made in a country where neither of the couple is resident?

A warning: I predict that within a year or two, RP (Philippines) will also enact the same law.

Wow, this is really intense! Does the law merely prevent men over 50 from marrying IN Thailand, or marrying a Thai woman period- Because the guideline for the K1 states that the parties must be legally able to marry in the US- it says nothing about the couple being able to legally marry in the beneficiary's home country. I imagine you could travel to another country and marry- as long as the marriage is deemed legal by US government standards, it would be valid for immigration purposes. You might want to consult a good attorney on this one to be sure of the ins and outs of it.

Timeline

Three years ago I met a woman online from Thailand. A month ago, after visiting her for three months I returned engaged to her.

We started the K-1 process and intended to send it in on April 10th. (She needed a copy of her birth certificate for pertinent information)

Just today it was announced that Thailand will pass a law forbidding any male aged 50 or over from marrying a Thai woman (of any age).

There is a post in the K-1 forum that explains the history of "why," Thailand is doing this. In short South Korean males broker (read buy) mail order brides, usually after meeting them for two days, which has caused problems. Cambodia has already passed such a law. Clearly 3 years of developing a relationship is not the same as two days... yet, that does not matter.

The law will certainly be in effect as of May 1st, 2011.

It would be very difficult for me to travel back to Thailand before then and worse, I do not want to marry her in Thailand. A marriage registered in Thailand causes the woman to lose certain valuable property rights. A Thai woman married in America who does not register the marriage with Thailand keeps those rights. (She is effectively married as far as America is concerned, and single as far as Thailand is concerned).

Here is my question: Can we meet in a neighboring country, such as Singapore, get married, and will America honor a marriage where neither party is a resident of the country where the marriage was officiated?

Plan "A" is dead...

Any suggestions for a Plan "B?"

I don't get depressed easily, but today I am...

Three years ago I met a woman online from Thailand. A month ago, after visiting her for three months I returned engaged to her.

We started the K-1 process and intended to send it in on April 10th. (She needed a copy of her birth certificate for pertinent information)

Just today it was announced that Thailand will pass a law forbidding any male aged 50 or over from marrying a Thai woman (of any age).

There is a post in the K-1 forum that explains the history of "why," Thailand is doing this. In short South Korean males broker (read buy) mail order brides, usually after meeting them for two days, which has caused problems. Cambodia has already passed such a law. Clearly 3 years of developing a relationship is not the same as two days... yet, that does not matter.

It would be very difficult for me to travel back to Thailand before then and worse, I do not want to marry her in Thailand. A marriage registered in Thailand causes the woman to lose certain valuable property rights. A Thai woman married in America who does not register the marriage with Thailand keeps those rights. (She is effectively married as far as America is concerned, and single as far as Thailand is concerned).

Here is my question: Can we meet in a neighboring country, such as Singapore, get married, and will America honor a marriage where neither party is a resident of the country where the marriage was officiated?

Plan "A" is dead...

Not to sound mean or insensitive but it seems you are more concerned about her rights to property than to your love as a couple. If you two truly love then property rights would be the last on the mind, therefore your post would have read: How do I get my beloved fiance here as fast as possible. I know my post seems insensitive but it is, afterall, my opinion and interpretation.

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You can marry anywhere.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

A bit of history:

Did you really forget what day it is in Thailand? April 1st. Duh. This is obviously not a legitimate story. It is clearly a prank perpetrated by Thaivisa.com. The story has no roots anywhere else.

This is an April Fool's prank, moving to off topic

Edited by rsn

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Timeline

Not to sound mean or insensitive but it seems you are more concerned about her rights to property than to your love as a couple. If you two truly love then property rights would be the last on the mind, therefore your post would have read: How do I get my beloved fiance here as fast as possible. I know my post seems insensitive but it is, afterall, my opinion and interpretation.

I'm not sure how you could say that about the situation. Keeping property rights seems like something to be concerned about. What if they want to go back their to live? I certainly wouldn't give up my rights either if there was another way. He didn't say they wouldn't do that, maybe Plan C, but maybe he's checking his other options first.

OP. Wow. I can't believe they would make a law like that without making something a little less strict first that goes after the real probablem instead of eveyone else. I'm sorry for your situation. I hope you can find a way to make it work.

-James

James and Cynthia

08-22-2008 - Met my wonderful wife in the Philippines.
03-21-2010 - I proposed to her in the Philippines.
09-07-2010 - I-129F filed for K-1 Visa.
09-12-2010 - NOA1 confirmation email received.
11-02-2010 - I visitied the Philippines again.

02-07-2011 - NOA2 email recieved. Approved.
03-22-2011 - Case at USEM.

04-15-2011 - Interview Date. She passed.
05-01-2011 - POE

06-25-2011 - We were married.

-Life has been great ever since.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Even if this story was legitimate (which it isn't), such a law would not affect US K1 visa cases.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Even if this story was legitimate (which it isn't), such a law would not affect US K1 visa cases.

Very true

Plan "A" is dead...

Not sure about Singapore or any other country... but I can say that I also married in a country where not my husband nor me where citizens. I am from argentina and came to canada to work temporarily. I married my American husband here in Canada and everything went ok. I think you can marry anywhere... as long as it is a civil marriage and not just religious.

USCIS (200 days)

2010-07-21: I-130 Sent

2010-07-29: NOA1

2011-02-14: NOA2

NVC (65 days)

2011-03-01: Received NVC case#, IIN# and Beneficiary ID#

2011-03-02: Gave NVC Operator e-mail addresses. Sent OPTIN email.

2011-03-03: Sent DS-261 (online)

2011-03-04: Received and paid AOS fee. Received DS3032 by email.

2011-03-07: AOS fee appears PAID

2011-03-08: NVC Received DS-261 according to AVR.

2011-03-08: Received IV fee bill by email but Online Payment portal not working! L(

2011-03-10: Sent AOS package by email.

2011-03-14: Finally NVC portal working... Paid IV fee.

2011-03-14: OPTIN email accepted! (12 days after sent)

2011-03-15: IV fee appears as PAID. Submitted DS-260 online form & documents by email.

2011-04-01: Review completed but showing missing docs that were there. Sent to supervisor for a second review.

2011-04-14: Second review completed but still rejecting Argentine PCC. Off to getting a new one :(

2011-04-27: New Argentine PCC sent (checklist response)

2011-05-04: SIF & CC!!!!!!!

2011-05-13: Interview date assigned

Medical / US Consulate / POE

2011-05-25: Medical in Montreal

2011-06-21: Interview

Timeline

Nice one. You got me. I wasn't ready for April 1st yet.

-James

Edited by James and Cynthia

James and Cynthia

08-22-2008 - Met my wonderful wife in the Philippines.
03-21-2010 - I proposed to her in the Philippines.
09-07-2010 - I-129F filed for K-1 Visa.
09-12-2010 - NOA1 confirmation email received.
11-02-2010 - I visitied the Philippines again.

02-07-2011 - NOA2 email recieved. Approved.
03-22-2011 - Case at USEM.

04-15-2011 - Interview Date. She passed.
05-01-2011 - POE

06-25-2011 - We were married.

-Life has been great ever since.

Timeline

Thanks for your sensitivity rsn, why not just come out and say: "you fool." Your comment is mean.

Yes, I did forget that it's April 1st in Thailand and if it's simply a joke, it's in extremely poor taste because it is echoed at many, many other websites.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Ok, this might be a dumb input, since I haven't actually read up on this new law and how it'll affect you but..

Will it actually affect your K-1? You won't be getting married in Thailand, but in the US and there is no such law here.

April 2007 : Met
07/28/07 : Officialy dating
06/07/09 : Engaged
09/04/09 : Married

10/06/09 : I-130 Sent
10/15/09 : NOA1
01/11/10 : Expedite Request Sent Through Congressman
01/14/10 : NOA2

01/22/10 : Got NVC casenumber
03/16/10 : Case Complete

05/04/10 : Medical
05/11/10 : Interview - APPROVED!!
05/14/10 : Passport w/ Visa recieved

05/29/10 : POE JFK
06/25/10 : Apply for SSN
06/29/10 : Received Welcome Letter
07/01/10 : Recieved SSN (33 days after POE)
07/07/10 : Greencard production ordered
07/13/10 : Second Welcome Letter recieved
07/15/10 : Green Card recieved (47 days after POE)

04/02/12 : ROC NOA1
05/24/12 : ROC Biometrics
12/19/12 : ROC Approval
12/24/12 : New GC recieved

3/18/16 : N-400 Application sent
3/25/16 : Text/Email confirmation NOA
4/22/16 : Biometrics Appt

6/24/16 : NOA date for Interview

7/28/2016: Interview

Timeline

Thanks for your sensitivity rsn, why not just come out and say: "you fool." Your comment is mean.

Yes, I did forget that it's April 1st in Thailand and if it's simply a joke, it's in extremely poor taste because it is echoed at many, many other websites.

It's April fool's day, lighten up. Hundreds of others on Thaivisa.com fell for it too. You're in good company.

Going forward, you should probably investigate a story a bit before you post it all over VJ (you posted this in two places). It is not uncommon for someone to post something (a "news" story) on VJ and claim it is factual when it is not. This should not happen. Just because it is on "many other websites" does not mean it is legitimate. In fact, it was probably posted on other sites by people who didn't do their due diligence and assumed it was true. If the story does not come from an established news source, it is to be taken with a grain of salt.

Edited by rsn