Obama 2012

Activist Women Create "Slut Walk" In Retaliation To Comments from Officer

365 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

No one 'deserves' to be harmed, but the officer was originally right. These women do NOTHING to help their situation when they dress like little temptresses who want attention. They want the attention and they expect it, but sometimes it goes way too far. These women need to reaize that there are some people out there who are going to be jerks who will attack them based on the way they dress/act.

If it looks ike a #######, acts like a #######, walks like a #######, then it's probably a stupid ####### and or stupid girl trying to gain attention and YES she is going to get unwanted attention.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's disgusting these pigs who attack women for any reason, but leading people on is wrong in its own way as well.

This is just another meaningless 'walk' for a stupid cause at the end of the day.

--------

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/955682--police-officer-s-remarks-at-york-inspire-slutwalk

Its name? SlutWalk. Its aim? For women to show they’ve had enough.

Fed up with recent comments by a Toronto police officer that “women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimized,” a group of women is organizing a march to express their frustrations.

Heather Jarvis is both a SlutWalk co-founder and one of four key founders of the planned march. She said she still has strong ties to Toronto, where she lived before moving to Guelph to attend university.

She read about the police officer’s comments in the York University school newspaper Excalibur and was outraged. Jarvis connected online with Sonya Barnett, a York University graduate, and the two women decided it was time to take action. They, along with three other women, Alyssa Teekah, Jeanette Janzen and Erika Jane Scholz, joined forces.

“Our first idea was to have a walk to express our frustrations and demand better,” Jarvis explained. “From there we decided we needed support and decided to use online media.”

The group created a webpage, Facebook page and Twitter account.

Const. Michael Sanguinetti made the comments at a safety forum held at Osgoode Hall Law School on Jan. 24. He later apologized, saying he was “embarrassed” by his remarks.

Jarvis said one of her biggest concerns with the police officer’s comments was that they blamed the victims of sexual assault, something, she said, that is wrong. Jarvis pointed to a current sexual-assault case in Cleveland where 18 men have been charged in the gang rape of an 11-year-old girl. The town remains divided on whether the girl, who dressed older than her age, and her mother were partly at blame.

“Nobody asks for this,” she said. “Nobody.”

Jane Doe, the Toronto woman who successfully sued the Toronto police in 1998 after a judge ruled she was used as bait to capture a serial rapist, said SlutWalk “is one of many responses that are part of the discourse,” but it’s an important part of a larger discussion that is not being had.

“It’s part of many responses of violence against women. It’s part of a larger discourse,” she told the Star. “The problem is we don’t engage in, we refuse to engage in, the discourse, especially the media.”

The choice to use the word “#######” in the name of the walk was twofold. Firstly, it comes from the police officer’s comments. Secondly, Jarvis said it’s time women reclaimed the word.

“If ‘#######’ is thrown around at so many people day in and day out . . . fine,” Jarvis said. “We will take it and take it to mean someone who is in control of their sexuality.”

She stressed that the name is not meant to suggest that women have to “dress like sluts” in order to attend the march.

“If you look a certain way, if you dress a certain way, come as you are,” Jarvis said. “It’s not about clothing; it’s not about a look.”

She said, legally, sexual assault is not about what a woman wore or did: It boils down to consent.

“You should be able to be whoever you are” and not have to worry about the possibility of being assaulted, Jarvis said.

“(The) police and the justice system should be there to back us up.”

The walk is open to everyone, not just women. Organizers are asking protesters to meet at Queen’s Park at 1:30 p.m. on April 3. At 2 p.m., after speeches, the march will commence south on University Ave., and then east on College St. It will end up in front of Toronto Police headquarters at Yonge and College Sts.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Constable Sanguinetti should be walking also, dressed in drag, so he can truly atone for his stupidity.

Yay !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Not this old chestnut, women have to cover it up because men can't control their urges? Fantastic! Paul, are you a closet muslim?

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

MCleo - I view it as a training issue for Constable Sanguinetti, and his superior officers should be sued for negligence.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Oh, I was just taking Paul to task for holding two apposing views in one sentence. Either it is legal for women to dress however they choose and the law should uphold that right or the law must be changed and women must conform to some consensus as to what is 'decent' in order to prevent men from behaving inappropriately when faced with such overwhelming provocation as to be confronted by a slutty dresser.

Edited by Madame Cleo

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Yay for sluts ! You go gurls ! :yes:

"Shake it, but don't break it, cuz it took ur momma 9 months to make it." :devil:

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

I see a nice public relations 'fix' on this.

Constable Sanguinetti agrees to the walk, dressed in drag, for SPONSERSHIP.

If he's lucky, he'll get 2000 CDN together from his sponsers, and use that money to pay for his sensitivity training, which he obviously missed.

Remember, though - he was INVITED to speak at York U - it's part of their (York U) ongoing 'interface with the Police and Be Safe' campaign.

What good is a thread like this without pictures??????????????

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=685&q=Toronto+SlutWalk&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=Toronto+ <---- That's all I could come up with on google images. Another reason why I find Canada extremely boring.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

Poutine is nice, though. YUM !

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh, I was just taking Paul to task for holding two apposing views in one sentence. Either it is legal for women to dress however they choose and the law should uphold that right or the law must be changed and women must conform to some consensus as to what is 'decent' in order to prevent men from behaving inappropriately when faced with such overwhelming provocation as to be confronted by a slutty dresser.

you think it's simple...

Every mind is different.

While some would be like "mmhmm, I'd hit that." -- Others have impulse control problems and would act on the 'invitation.' as subtle as it may be.

No one deserves to be attacked, BUT there are sometimes consequences for your own actions. We are animals at the end of the day.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

you think it's simple...

Every mind is different.

While some would be like "mmhmm, I'd hit that." -- Others have impulse control problems and would act on the 'invitation.' as subtle as it may be.

No one deserves to be attacked, BUT there are sometimes consequences for your own actions. We are animals at the end of the day.

That's easy enough. Castrate the rapo's and freaks on the spot. Problem solved.

sigbet.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'd like to join the ####### walk.

you can wiggle your hips? :unsure:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!